Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes (17234 Views)

Enter Here If You Are Trying To Quit Cigarettes / 8 Reasons To Stop Drinking Coke Every Day / Photo Of A Mother Smoking And Breastfeeding Her Baby At The Same Time (2) (3) (4)

Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by GeemarxWorld(m): 1:58am On Dec 01, 2016
Help Needed To Stop Some Bad Habits

I will want to know what kind of help I can get to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes.

I actually started these bad habits while I was quite very young and now am almost 33. I use to drink so much of beer, smoke alot of cigarettes and weed as well. This got really bad when I traveled out of the country for studies and spent so many years out there. I think the weather and the fact that smoking is so normal there that even my lecturers and I do have chats together while smoking in the smoking area made me get so addicted.

Now I have completely stopped smoking weed for more than two years and I don't really take beer except once in a blue moon but the big problem is that I think though I left the frying pan, I am inside the fire because I smoke cigarettes like really bad and I am addicted to hot drinks like brandy or whisky. I cannot stay a day without these two and it's really annoying me.

I want to settle down now and start looking forward to marriage and a beautiful family life so I really want to do myself the favor of living a wealthy life for my wife and kids. I don't want to be an irresponsible husband and father so please I really need all the help I can get on how to stop this habits.

Please I will love to here from you all in this section especially the professionals if there are drugs or medications I can take to stop these habits.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by kingphilip(m): 2:40am On Dec 01, 2016
Thanks for wanting a change.. It won't be an easy ride though but with strong will and determination you'll scurry through this phase too

You've dropped off some, have you taken the steps you took to see if it can work??

I've tried not engaging myself in some vices by telling myself until I've convinced my mind it isn't worth it..

You can actually start from it's written smokers are liable to die young.. I don't want to die young so cigarette stay away from me..

This works perfectly fine for me.. Try it out but if not I guess other people commenting later will likely give you tips too

I pray God will help you because most times the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak

Lalasticlala wide audience please for wider suggestions that will help this young man out

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by herzern1(m): 1:01pm On Dec 01, 2016
*Accept JESUS CHRIST as your personal lord and saviour......

*Read the Word of God(Bible) anytime you are tempted to indulqe in such acts

*Talk to your pastor about it so he can help you with prayers and words of inspiration

#GodBless...

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Tytylion(m): 1:01pm On Dec 01, 2016
Talk to your pastor
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by holysainbj(m): 1:01pm On Dec 01, 2016
Bro u want out, u get out

It has to do with your mindset, condition your mind
firstly u r now in 9ja not overseas, and its very hot here
believe me u can stop it right now, just ask urself what u want and ACT what u want.....

I hope and pray u make it out.

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Turks: 1:02pm On Dec 01, 2016
It's all about conviction. The temptation would be massive but then you can overcome if you want to. Go around with a bottle of water everywhere you go.

Also, Dont try quitting abruptly. It has to be gradual..

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Turks: 1:02pm On Dec 01, 2016
Ikj
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by doctokwus: 1:02pm On Dec 01, 2016
Tytylion:
Talk to your pastor
Hope its not TB Joshua

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by 4nobody4every1: 1:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by moonstone01: 1:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
sTART DRINKING LOTS OF GARRI WITHOU SUGAR OR FISH.

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by geostrata(m): 1:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by holysainbj(m): 1:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
Tytylion:
Talk to your pastor
So who's his Pastor ?? A former addict?? Like the Pastor has the answer to why he smokes....
he needs a counsellor mbok....

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by holarindey(m): 1:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
Thank God you voiced it out, because that's the first thing to do.

then visit a counsellor, pastor or be It imam. just go to someone you can confide for advise
and counselling because addiction is a really bad thing oh and difficult to overcome but with God and determination, I think you are good to go.

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by ammyluv2002(f): 1:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
Tytylion:
Talk to your pastor
Pastor ke? shocked shocked

Guy, you funny oh!

At the topic, just visit the hospital and ask them to show you the consequence of smoking and drinking. I mean, life consequences na you go just advice yourself asap.

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Jasi7(m): 1:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
This is a tough call to make because addictions can be really hard to beat down...but it's workable if you discipline yourself.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Lovemaester: 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Currently am a smoker and I don't see any thing wrong wit it but if u want to stop I suggest u avoid places and friends dat might want to lure u

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Omudia11: 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Oo
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by StoneLucifer: 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Continue ok..U will stop by force when u are diagnosed of Liver Cirrhosis, Kidney failure or Lung Cancer at a young age..Then your senses will be reset to normal. Kwontinue...Goodluck!

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by izzou(m): 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Eiyahh, I wish I could help.

Maa go back to my ultimate cycler. 3rd alert today no be beans.

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by daniska3yaro(m): 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2016
Hmmm see wetin goin to malaysia the cos for people
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by holluwai(m): 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2016
Lol.....you never ready.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Tobium1(m): 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2016
If you have been smoking 1pack, try reduce it to half, den 3 sticks den 1stick, den u are free!

But drink?? I don't have a remedy for u oo, cos I'm a victim of liqour and I don't plan to stop yet

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2016
GeemarxWorld:
Help Needed To Stop Some Bad Habits

I will want to know what kind of help I can get to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes.

I actually started these bad habits while I was quite very young and now am almost 33.

Please I will love to here from you all in this section especially the professionals if there are drugs or medications I can take to stop these habits.

Yes my friend, you actually stop these bad habits, let me tell you how :
> Realising that a problem exists is half way to solving the problem. That you have done already
> Determination to succeed is the first step to success. I'm glad you have already taken the first step
> As per the cigarette, you prolly would have already entered a stage of dependence and so sudden withdrawal may not be advisable due to side effects of nicotine withdrawal. I advise you have a mental determination to cut down on the number of sticks per day, then per week etc. If you take 5sticks per day, tell yourself you wanna take only 3........after a week, cut down to two, then one then off.
> Stay away from peers and negative social influence who may pressure you to smoke or drink
> There is something called a nicotine patch or gum, it's very helpful for stoppage of smoking. Very helpful.
Lastly, how do you fancy your lungs and liver looking this way in 10-15yrs time?

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by admax(m): 1:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
1. Decide and settle within your mind that you want to stop those habit
2. Be born again
3. Stop hanging out with your friends that drink or smoke, meet new friends so you wouldn't be influenced
4. Replace beer with Water - always drink water or soft drink in a cup. This is called replace strategy
5. Instead of hot drinks/brandies start drinking pepper soup
6. Instead of cigarette start mimicking smoking with those bic biro covers that has holes
7. Don't think you can stop at once but start reducing what you smoke or drink by little less quantity or sticks per day
8 Thank me later

With Love from an ex-addict grin

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by xage(m): 1:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
With all henosty these habits were perfected out of the fact that you took them as hubby...

Simply search for a new habit to occupy the urge positively...

Bcoz the best way to quit a bad habit is to create barriers that will make you stop.

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Franchise21(m): 1:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
cry
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by soberdrunk(m): 1:08pm On Dec 01, 2016

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Emeks008(m): 1:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
I think is this high time for you to stop moving with some friends and stop going to bear parlour, clubs or pepper soup joint. Be focus and and have a strong will to drop the bad habits that you are addicted to. Although you never mentioned friends in your post but I know friends too can add to what is on ground here.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
herzern1:
*Accept JESUS CHRIST as your personal lord and saviour......

*Read the Word of God(Bible) anytime you are tempted to indulqe in such acts

*Talk to your pastor about it so he can help you with prayers and words of inspiration

#GodBless...

Story!

Man Who Impregnated A Mad Woman In Katsina, Detained By Police / Hiv/aids Cure - How The West Deceives Nigeria – Jacob Abdulahi / Body Of The First Victim Of Ebola Virus In Nigeria Cremated