Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,193 members, 7,780,326 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:30 PM

My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. - Religion (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. (31848 Views)

Lady Shares Her Experience As Churches Reopen In Lagos Today / 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / Saudi Arabia To Execute 'Atheist' For Insulting Prophet Muhammad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:02pm On Dec 02, 2016
A human being is part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive.

Albert Einstein
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:03pm On Dec 02, 2016
The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism.

Albert Einstein
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by Seun(m): 5:03pm On Dec 02, 2016
Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures
Like monkeys? tongue
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:05pm On Dec 02, 2016
Albert Einstein 's religious views have been studied extensively. He believed in the pantheistic God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god , a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic , while disassociating himself from the label
atheist

Wikipedia.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2016
many great scientist laughed at atheists. Albert Einstein a prominent one believed in God, but not the religious one.

"it is foolish to say there's god but more foolish to say there's no god"

AngelsAndStars 2016
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 5:14pm On Dec 02, 2016
Seun:
Like monkeys? tongue

Sometimes I have find it hard to know your actual stand.... undecided
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 5:16pm On Dec 02, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
many great scientist laughed at atheists. Albert Einstein a prominent one believed in God, but not the religious one.

"it is foolish to say there's god but more foolish to say there's no god"

AngelsAndStars 2016

I no gree your own.

It is only a fool that says in his heart, there is no God.

And we both know them...no be me talk am o, na so e dey for Bible.. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:19pm On Dec 02, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

I no gree your own.

It is only a fool that says in his heart, there is no God.

And we both know them...no be me talk am o, na so e dey for Bible.. grin
if you understand my quote you'd know we are saying same thing...
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:22pm On Dec 02, 2016
Your question is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things.

Albert Einstein
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:24pm On Dec 02, 2016
My feeling is religious insofar as I am imbued with the insufficiency of the human mind to understand more deeply the harmony of the universe which we try to formulate as ’laws of Nature’

Albert Einstein
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by jonbellion(m): 5:25pm On Dec 02, 2016
4everGod:

Seun feel free to call yourself a monkey or a baboon or whatever else tickles your fancy. But do not group everyone into that category. OYO is your name
As long as you are a sapien you are an ape
Deal with it cool

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:28pm On Dec 02, 2016
What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean.
Isaac Newton
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:28pm On Dec 02, 2016
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who sets the planets in motion.

Isaac Newton
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:29pm On Dec 02, 2016
This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.

Isaac Newton

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 5:29pm On Dec 02, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
if you understand my quote you'd know we are saying same thing...

Sure na...
Just trying to look for trouble grin
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 5:31pm On Dec 02, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who sets the planets in motion.

Isaac Newton

That's deep...
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 5:32pm On Dec 02, 2016
AngelsAndStars:

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.

Isaac Newton

Seun, come and see... I guess you're more knowledgeable than Isaac Newton.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 02, 2016
jonbellion:

As long as you are a sapien you are an ape
Deal with it cool

As long as i am Gods creation made in His image then i am a Son of God. You can keep your Sapien to yourself.

Next time you visit a zoo do this

[img]http://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder646/500x/59816646.jpg[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by jonbellion(m): 5:47pm On Dec 02, 2016
4everGod:

As long as i am Gods creation made in His image then i am a Son of God. You can keep your Sapien to yourself.

lol
I'm a sapien not a bonobo
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:49pm On Dec 02, 2016
4everGod:

lwkm !!!! grin grin
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by Seun(m): 5:50pm On Dec 02, 2016
AngelsAndStars:

Isaac Newton
LaClicKLaBenDin:
Seun, come and see... I guess you're more knowledgeable than Isaac Newton.
We are lucky to have been born centuries after Isaac Newton died, so we know many things about the universe that Isaac Newton didn't know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:54pm On Dec 02, 2016
Seun:

We are lucky to have been born centuries after Isaac Newton died, so we know many things about the universe that Isaac Newton didn't know.
Lolz. what of Albert Einstein?
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:57pm On Dec 02, 2016
“ The question of whether there exists a Creator and Ruler of the Universe has been answered in the affirmative by some of the highest intellects that have ever existed.”

–Charles Darwin, the founder of evolutionary biology, as cited in his book
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:58pm On Dec 02, 2016
“As we conquer peak after peak we see in front of us regions full of interest and beauty, but we do not see our goal, we do not see the horizon; in the distance tower still higher peaks, which will yield to those who ascend them still wider prospects, and deepen the feeling, the truth of which is emphasized by every advance in science, that ‘Great are the Works of the Lord’.”

—Sir Joseph J. Thomson, Nobel Prize winning physicist, discoverer of the electron, founder of atomic physics.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:58pm On Dec 02, 2016
“A scientific discovery is also a religious discovery. There is no conflict between science and religion. Our knowledge of God is made larger with every discovery we make about the world.”

–Joseph H. Taylor, Jr., who received the 1993 Nobel Prize in Physics for the discovery of the first known binary pulsar, and for his work which supported the Big Bang theory of the creation of the universe.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 5:59pm On Dec 02, 2016
“God [is] the author of the universe, and the free establisher of the laws of motion.”

—Physicist and chemist Robert Boyle, who is considered to be the founder of modern chemistry.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by Seun(m): 6:00pm On Dec 02, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
Lolz. what of Albert Einstein?
Albert Einstein was a pantheist, not a deist. Richard Dawkins regards pantheism as "sexed-up atheism".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 6:00pm On Dec 02, 2016
“It may seem bizarre, but in my opinion science offers a surer path to God than religion.”
“People take it for granted that the physical world is both ordered and intelligible. The underlying order in nature-the laws of physics-are simply accepted as given, as brute facts. Nobody asks where they came from; at least they do not do so in polite company. However, even the most atheistic scientist accepts as an act of faith that the universe is not absurd, that there is a rational basis to physical existence manifested as law-like order in nature that is at least partly comprehensible to us. So science can proceed only if the scientist adopts an essentially theological worldview.”

–Physicist Paul Davies, the winner of the 2001 Kelvin Medal issued by the Institute of Physics and the winner of the 2002 Faraday Prize issued by the Royal Society (amongst other awards), as cited in his book God and the New Physics (first quote), and from his acceptance address of the 1995 Templeton Prize (second
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by Gboyee4fun(m): 6:00pm On Dec 02, 2016
otemanuduno:

All arrogant gods are the gods e. g Yahweh,Moloch, Allah, Gaol, etc. Almighty God who created them all isn't arrogant. He is the UNIVERSE you see. He is in you and me and he is at the centre of your brain. God ALMIGHTY IS THE FATHER OF Yahweh, Odin, Moloch, Atum, Enlil, Enki and thousands of them. GOD ALMIGHTY IS LOVE.

kingebukasblog, Naijadeyhia, Wilgrea7, Anas09, Gboyee4fun, Muafrika2, Jacksonville

lol, then help God Almighty to deal with the arrogant gods na...am a son of man, so why attaching me to your foolishness? na by force, I said I don't need you...lol
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 6:02pm On Dec 02, 2016
“I believe that the more thoroughly science is studied, the further does it take us from anything comparable to atheism.”
“If you study science deep enough and long enough, it will force you to believe in God.”

—Lord William Kelvin, who was noted for his theoretical work on thermodynamics, the concept of absolute zero and the Kelvin temperature scale based upon it
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 6:03pm On Dec 02, 2016
“This sense of wonder leads most scientists to a Superior Being – der Alte, the Old One, as Einstein affectionately called the Deity – a Superior Intelligence, the Lord of all Creation and Natural Law.”

—Abdus Salam, winner of the 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics for his work in electroweak theory. He is here quoted in his article entitled Science and Religion.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. by AngelsAndStars(m): 6:04pm On Dec 02, 2016
“I have looked into most philosophical systems and I have seen that none will work without God.”
“Science is incompetent to reason upon the creation of matter itself out of nothing. We have reached the utmost limit of our thinking faculties when we have admitted that because matter cannot be eternal and self-existent it must have been created.”

—Physicist and mathematician
James Clerk Maxwell , who is credited with formulating classical electromagnetic theory and whose contributions to science are considered to be of the same magnitude to those of Einstein and Newton.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Muslims Storm Egyptian Church, Attack Worshippers, Call For It To Be Demolished / Bishop Kukah: Nigeria not worth dying for / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.