Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please (18505 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 12:51am On Nov 10, 2009
I need your candid and honest advice as to whether i should relocate to canada or not, i am a business man here in Nigeria with an income of about 1 million naira per month, I am single and not married, I want to relocate to Canada to get settled, I am so torn between my business and relocating, Please advice me would it be worth it ?
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by 2Legit2Qui: 2:17am On Nov 10, 2009
you make 1 million naira per month in Nigeria, what do you intend to make when you relocate to canada? it will be in your dreams if you make half of that in canada- whats the basis of wanting to relocate? to go and suffer? to go die in the cold or to go get a oyinbo wife?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Delta007(m): 4:04am On Nov 10, 2009
charlesisu:

I need your candid and honest advice as to whether i should relocate to canada or not, i am a business man here in Nigeria with an income of about 1 million naira per month, I am single and not married, I want to relocate to Canada to get settled, I am so torn between my business and relocating, Please advice me would it be worth it ?
So when you relocate, what do you plan to do to keep your cashflow? undecided
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by doggyall: 6:38am On Nov 10, 2009
No, stay, but you can go on vacation for vicinity study.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 7:23am On Nov 10, 2009
2Legit2Qui:

you make 1 million naira per month in Nigeria, what do you intend to make when you relocate to canada? it will be in your dreams if you make half of that in canada- whats the basis of wanting to relocate? to go and suffer? to go die in the cold or to go get a oyinbo wife?

I make at least 1 Million Naira profit every month sometimes more, like I said I am still single and I believe I want to give my wife and kids, the best of everything in life, some things just scare me about Nigeria and i dont want my kids to go through the hassle of Nigeria, but my business is what has been keeping me all these while. I am just so confused.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 7:27am On Nov 10, 2009
Delta007:

So when you relocate, what do you plan to do to keep your cashflow? undecided

I have envisaged that the first 2 years might be rough but i have enough funds to last me for 5 years, and i believe i would have found my feet by that time, I plan on sending stuffs sellable down to Nigeria to keep my cash flow but lots of people have advised me to stay.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 7:28am On Nov 10, 2009
doggyall:

No, stay, but you can go on vacation for vicinity study.

Im more concerned about my future wife and kids. i plan to relocate them there and then come back for business.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by walakolobo: 7:40am On Nov 10, 2009
You are more concerned about wife and kids that you dont yet have? You will put them thruough more hardship if you relocate to Canada- ask those who had been there. What are the things that scare you about Nigeria? Should it not be asked if this was not the country you grew up? Please lets be modest and think properly, everything is not gold abroad- so which type of Visa do you expect to have to make you live and work in Canada? Use your brain man.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 8:01am On Nov 10, 2009
walakolobo:

You are more concerned about wife and kids that you dont yet have? You will put them thruough more hardship if you relocate to Canada- ask those who had been there. What are the things that scare you about Nigeria? Should it not be asked if this was not the country you grew up? Please lets be modest and think properly, everything is not gold abroad- so which type of Visa do you expect to have to make you live and work in Canada? Use your brain man.

I spoke to some Immigration lawyer, and i should get my Residence permit in 2 years, Im viewing from the perspective of good and quality life, not necessarily about the monetary aspect alone.
The best way i think is if I my family is there in Canada, while i keep running my business here in Nigeria but im really confused as to how to go about it.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by walakolobo: 8:08am On Nov 10, 2009
me think you are one who doesnt listen to advice. You are therefore on your own.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by tunnytox(m): 2:50pm On Nov 10, 2009
The choice is yours, what you'll probably gain going to Canada will be a canadian passport, I really don't see you making up to 1m naira per month in Canada in the short run, but if you have enough capital and have brilliant business orientation you could start to make more than that in the long run, so if you believe you can do this, i'll advise you to go for it while keeping tab on your business in Nigeria.

In fact if you get a Canadian permanent residency you are not required to stay in Canada all the time you'll only be required to be incountry for 2 years within a 5 year period. with this you simply have nothing or peharps very little to lose.
In a nutshell i can advise you to go ahead cautiously baring in mind that your Nigerian business (pot of Gold grin) is made your priority
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 8:33pm On Nov 10, 2009
walakolobo:

me think you are one who doesnt listen to advice. You are therefore on your own.

what exactly is your advice ?
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by buffnaija: 8:41pm On Nov 10, 2009
what bisness are u involved in exactly

i would like a biz like that.

well before u think of moving to canada u better check out this website.

http://www.notcanada.com/

its not a crazy country like naija. but i guess there is a fair amount of discrimination when it comes to jobs.

so theres nothing guaranteed for u , in terms of job opportunities.

so u know what they say , a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by dinggle: 8:44pm On Nov 10, 2009
In your first yr you can make 20% of that amount a month in canada after tax.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by omega25red(m): 9:54pm On Nov 10, 2009
my first question is why canada and why cant you raise your kids in other parts of afica if you are so scared of Nigeria what type of business are you in that would permit you to manage it back and forth (nigeria to canada) and have you met the woman you plan to marry or you want to go to canada first before you marry. Also are you planning on marrying a Nigerian or Canadian. Also since you have enough money to live for 5 years why not travel around before you decide on canada.

Anyway relocating is not easy you have to get used to new systems and styles of living. you will miss home you will run into friends and family who will either help you or take advantage of you. You might also be so lucky that everything works out without any mistake. If you have money it might be easier but just as 419 is previlent in Nigeria it is also previlent in other western countries. take time to think about this before you abandon something that is working for you
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by egin(m): 8:47am On Nov 11, 2009
Yes you can. As long as you do it legally. A good quality life involves more than money. What you see, feel, hear, availability of the basic necessities of life water, electricity, food, access to good education, health care facilities, roads, emergency services, security, new technology, future opportunities, and so on and so forth determine one's quality of life. A million naira a month income in Nigeria does not guarantee you all these. You have to pay through the nose to access all these and still no guarantee. For example Private secondary schools where students pay N600,000 per term in Nigeria are no better than public schools here in terms of facilities and and the quality of education. In fact it is only in Nigeria where you see people who are billionaires and still wish for their kids to live abroad. I have friends whose parents have money back home and still come here to struggle. So my friend the decision is yours as long as you do it legally. Nigeria is an unusual country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by thaddeus99: 5:24pm On Nov 11, 2009
i am also planning to relocate to Canada to further my education. Canada is the most beautiful and the best place to raise your kids, you will ask why? Canada is violent free, and the government care for its citizen, be it visitors or indigens. I will advise you to relocate to Canada cos naija no get clue at all, you have the money and the only investment you can do now, is to give your family the best, naija get nothing good to offer your family. Go ahead and fulfill your mission to Canada,

My contact
mbathaddeus_9@yahoo.com

Best of luck,

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by 2Legit2Qui: 12:13pm On Nov 12, 2009
Please try IRAQ.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 7:59pm On Nov 12, 2009
tunnytox:

The choice is yours, what you'll probably gain going to Canada will be a canadian passport, I really don't see you making up to 1m naira per month in Canada in the short run, but if you have enough capital and have brilliant business orientation you could start to make more than that in the long run, so if you believe you can do this, i'll advise you to go for it while keeping tab on your business in Nigeria.

In fact if you get a Canadian permanent residency you are not required to stay in Canada all the time you'll only be required to be incountry for 2 years within a 5 year period. with this you simply have nothing or peharps very little to lose.
In a nutshell i can advise you to go ahead cautiously baring in mind that your Nigerian business (pot of Gold grin) is made your priority

Thank you for your advice.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2009
omega25red:

my first question is why canada and why cant you raise your kids in other parts of afica if you are so scared of Nigeria what type of business are you in that would permit you to manage it back and forth (nigeria to canada) and have you met the woman you plan to marry or you want to go to canada first before you marry. Also are you planning on marrying a Nigerian or Canadian. Also since you have enough money to live for 5 years why not travel around before you decide on canada.

Anyway relocating is not easy you have to get used to new systems and styles of living. you will miss home you will run into friends and family who will either help you or take advantage of you. You might also be so lucky that everything works out without any mistake. If you have money it might be easier but just as 419 is previlent in Nigeria it is also previlent in other western countries. take time to think about this before you abandon something that is working for you

Im thinking of Canada because i heard they have a declining population and require skilled immigrants and demand for man power is high,
I have not met the woman i plan to marry, I believe i would get married when i get there, it could be anyone from any part of the world, Im not a racist or a tribalist.
Thank you, Nigeria is really working for me as I have a Solid business that generates over 1 million Naira Profit every month here, the plan to settle is what is making me to think of Canada.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by boy1(m): 9:41pm On Nov 12, 2009
topic--"Experience is d most efficient teacher of all things . . . go and try.goodluck.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by blackspade(m): 9:48pm On Nov 12, 2009
@ charlesisu

Do you have anyone who can possibly help you sustain your business in Nigeria while you are in Canada? You can use the business in Nigeria to help open a new one in Canada.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Delta007(m): 11:12pm On Nov 12, 2009
Charles,
What are you planning to migrate as? Visitor, Student, Permanent Resident, Citizen?

What do you plan to do while you are here?
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 12:59am On Nov 13, 2009
Delta007:

Charles,
What are you planning to migrate as? Visitor, Student, Permanent Resident, Citizen?

What do you plan to do while you are here?

Firstly as Visitor, then Permanent resident.

blackspade:

@ charlesisu

Do you have anyone who can possibly help you sustain your business in Nigeria while you are in Canada? You can use the business in Nigeria to help open a new one in Canada.

My type of business requires me to be on ground although i could run it as well from Canada but the turn over wont be as much as when im on ground here also i dont want to lose my clientelle base, im known for what i do both in Nigeria and beyond. I dont want to lose the contacts but i deserve a better life, i make so much money here but i dont enjoy it, traffic, insecurity, bad roads, no infrastructure, Nothing. Its so sad.
The money is fine but I am just so confused
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Hoteph(m): 9:01am On Nov 13, 2009
Hey bro lf you truly make up to five hundred thousand naira a month and still want to relocated to a place of uncertainty like Canada.
l have only one name to call you, A greedy FOOL!

Travel and see na your body go tell you
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by ayomidej(f): 12:22pm On Nov 13, 2009
If you are seriously making N1M a month, then stay in Nigeria. If you go to Canada, opportunities are there but you will have to start all over again.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by DisGuy: 6:07pm On Nov 13, 2009
Have you been to canada before?
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Delta007(m): 6:40pm On Nov 13, 2009
charlesisu:

My type of business requires me to be on ground although i could run it as well from Canada but the turn over wont be as much as when im on ground here also i dont want to lose my clientelle base, im known for what i do both in Nigeria and beyond. I dont want to lose the contacts but i deserve a better life, i make so much money here but i dont enjoy it, traffic, insecurity, bad roads, no infrastructure, Nothing. Its so sad.
Immigrating to Canada as a Visitor is fine; however, a Visitor's Status (keyword is Status) only allows you to stay in the country for a maximum of 6mths (unless stated otherwise - usually less); then, you have to re-enter the country again. You have to realise a Visa is an entry document; so even if you are given a 1 day Visa or 20yr Visa, you can only stay in the country for 6mths before you re-enter. You are not allowed to work, school, business, etc. The only ways you can become a Permanent Resident (PR) from a Visitor's status is:

- Switch to a Study Visa: If you have an undergrad and have been hoping to develop yourself some more, then applying for a Masters program might not be a bad idea. You may be able to run your business (depending on its nature) and carryout your program at the same time. Switching to a Study Visa while being in Canada on a Visitor's Visa is relatively easy. You get the admission and send the application and all related documents to the nearest embassy (usually Buffalo). As a Nigerian, you'd be required to do medicals; all these could take 4-5mths before you finally get a Study Visa; and remember, you can only stay in the country for 6mths. This means you need to get the process going immediately you get in; perhaps get the admission before you get in. What this does, is that it enables you to buy time while you put in a PR application and it's being processed. When you graduate, you are also eligible for a 3yr work permit which is more than enough time to get your PR status. Now, as a businessman, you probably have some experience so you may qualify for a couple categories; however, this process could take 6mths for some and it could take 2yrs for the others. Funny enough, you can apply from Nigeria; however, it's only one office in Accra that processes all applications for W.Africa so you are pretty sure that it would take you more than 2yrs before you get a decision.

- Marry someone in Canada and get her/him to sponsor you: If you came in on a Visitor's Visa and got married in Canada, your spouse could sponsor you, regardless of your status. This means that even if you overstayed (which frankly, I do not advice), and eventually fall in love with someone and legally get married, you can become a PR if your spouse agree to sponsor you. Now, this is an area which alot of people exploit, not just Nigerians (Indians, Pakistanis, Carribeans, etc) and the Canadian Immigration is quite aware of it. Hence, the onus is always on you and your spouse to prove that your relationship is genuine and not just for papers. There are also restrictions on who can sponsor and your sponsor (spouse) will be responsible for your upkeep for 3yrs.

- Get a job and get your company to sponsor you: If you are one of those sought-after professionals or you are in that line of field, there's a likelihood you could get a job and the company would sponsor you to get a work permit. These cases are rare but very possible. Most firms these days try to stay away from all these immigration wahala so they'd tell you to come back when you get your papers. However firms that are desperate do make the effort to get you the right papers. In your case, they'd also need to go the extra mile and prove that no Canadian has applied for the job or those who applied are not qualified enough for the job. If you can get a work permit, then you bought yourself time and it's a much easier route to get a PR status.

There's also the business category but it's a much tougher sell unless you have more than $300k in your account at the moment.

My advice: If you think of improving your skills, you may want to go the study route; perhaps this is the right time since you are still single. However, if that's not your cup of coffee, you may want to start by putting in an application from Nigeria for a PR status. While you make your money in Nigeria, the clock is ticking on your application. Perhaps in 3yrs, you may be approved and you may have a much better perspective of how you want your business to evolve as well as your future family plans. It may not be a wise idea to kill a cash cow just because you want to move to an unknown. You may also want to get a Visitor's visa and travel to see how things are so as to put plans together and put a good struture to your business so that you do not always need to be onground to get maximum revenue. Or wait till when you get your PR status so that you can move relatively easily and operate your business from both ends. I hope I made some sense. Goodluck!

4 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Delta007(m): 6:44pm On Nov 13, 2009
charlesisu:

Immigrating to Canada as a Visitor is fine; however, a Visitor's Status (keyword is Status) only allows you to stay in the country for a maximum of 6mths (unless stated otherwise - usually less); then, you have to re-enter the country again. You have to realise a Visa is an entry document; so even if you are given a 1 day Visa or 20yr Visa, you can only stay in the country for 6mths before you re-enter. You are not allowed to work, school, business, etc. The only ways you can become a Permanent Resident (PR) from a Visitor's status is:

- Switch to a Study Visa: If you have an undergrad and have been hoping to develop yourself some more, then applying for a Masters program might not be a bad idea. You may be able to run your business (depending on its nature) and carryout your program at the same time. Switching to a Study Visa while being in Canada on a Visitor's Visa is relatively easy. You get the admission and send the application and all related documents to the nearest embassy (usually Buffalo). As a Nigerian, you'd be required to do medicals; all these could take 4-5mths before you finally get a Study Visa; and remember, you can only stay in the country for 6mths. This means you need to get the process going immediately you get in; perhaps get the admission before you get in. What this does, is that it enables you to buy time while you put in a PR application and it's being processed. When you graduate, you are also eligible for a 3yr work permit which is more than enough time to get your PR status. Now, as a businessman, you probably have some experience so you may qualify for a couple categories; however, this process could take 6mths for some and it could take 2yrs for the others. Funny enough, you can apply from Nigeria; however, it's only one office in Accra that processes all applications for W.Africa so you are pretty sure that it would take you more than 2yrs before you get a decision.

- Marry someone in Canada and get her/him to sponsor you: If you came in on a Visitor's Visa and got married in Canada, your spouse could sponsor you, regardless of your status. This means that even if you overstayed (which frankly, I do not advice), and eventually fall in love with someone and legally get married, you can become a PR if your spouse agree to sponsor you. Now, this is an area which alot of people exploit, not just Nigerians (Indians, Pakistanis, Carribeans, etc) and the Canadian Immigration is quite aware of it. Hence, the onus is always on you and your spouse to prove that your relationship is genuine and not just for papers. There are also restrictions on who can sponsor and your sponsor (spouse) will be responsible for your upkeep for 3yrs.

- Get a job and get your company to sponsor you: If you are one of those sought-after professionals or you are in that line of field, there's a likelihood you could get a job and the company would sponsor you to get a work permit. These cases are rare but very possible. Most firms these days try to stay away from all these immigration wahala so they'd tell you to come back when you get your papers. However firms that are desperate do make the effort to get you the right papers. In your case, they'd also need to go the extra mile and prove that no Canadian has applied for the job or those who applied are not qualified enough for the job. If you can get a work permit, then you bought yourself time and it's a much easier route to get a PR status.

There are some business loopholes you could exploit but it's not an easy task.

My advice: If you think of improving your skills, you may want to go the study route; perhaps this is the right time since you are still single. However, if that's not your cup of coffee, you may want to start by putting in an application from Nigeria for a PR status. While you make your money in Nigeria, the clock is ticking on your application. Perhaps in 3yrs, you may be approved and you may have a much better perspective of how you want your business to evolve as well as your future family plans. It may not be a wise idea to kill a cash cow just because you want to move to an unknown. You may also want to get a Visitor's visa and travel to see how things are so as to put plans together and put a good struture to your business so that you do not always need to be onground to get maximum revenue. Or wait till when you get your PR status so that you can move relatively easily and operate your business from both ends. I hope I made some sense. Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by DisGuy: 7:23pm On Nov 13, 2009
delta007, dont repost just yet the Admin will release your post very soon
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 13, 2009
@Poster

1 million naira a month  shocked 

You can never make such huge amount abroad except you are a professional and you have a good qualification with a lot experience

Don't make the greatest mistake of your life other people are regretting now because there was no one to advise them

Why not travel to other countries first and see for yourself::::::you can start from dubai maybe this Xmas just to chill and see the other part of the world, experience is the best teacher.

Marry and settle down in Nigeria, if you don't want your children to school in Nigeria, fine. You can always find a means of relocating your wife n kids to the suitable country you want them to be and check them once in a while you run your business in Nigeria

A word is enough for the wise
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Uche2nna(m): 9:01pm On Nov 13, 2009
U are worried about the wife and kids that U are yet to have undecided

Dude, if U make 1 million naira (IN PROFIT shocked) a month ( shocked) in Nigeria ( shocked), then U can afford to give ur wife and ur kids (plus ur whole entire village sef) any kind of life U so desire.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gridlock Along Sagamu -papalanto Expressway / FG Begins Rehabilitation Work At Kaduna Airport Despite Senate’s Opposition / 2 Navy Helicopters Collide Mid-Air In Malaysia, 10 Dead (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.