Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? (2333 Views)

Alert...9mobile, Smile & Swift To Be Cut In 10days / Fate Of Those That Buy Used Phones / Between Spectranet And Smile 4glte Service, Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 01, 2016
I know for sure it was Smile, Spectranet and Swift that pushed for NCC to increase the price of data. Before the big boys like MTN, GLO and Etisalat launched their LTE, Smile has been one of the fastest ISP in Nigeria, but u have to pay through ur nose to be able to enjoy their services, that is how expensive it is. Earlier this year, NTEL came with their own LTE, incredible speed with unlimited, but their flaws are coverage and plans that are not affordable for the average Nigerian. Don't get me wrong, NTEL is cheap for heavy users because it is unlimited, but not everybody can afford to pay N10,000 for data every month. What about the people that just want 1gb, 2g or 5gb per month, well NTEL decided no love for them.. what were they even thinking?

Well thank God MTN an glo decided to venture into LTE and that is bad news for Smile and Spectranet as MTN and glo offer cheaper and more flexible plans. The saving grace companies like Smile had was their speed and that was why they could get subscribers in the past... but what about now that MTN LTE speed match Smile if not even faster. As for Spectranet, their own is even worse because their speed is o longer anything to write home about . I have used Smile, Spectranet, MTN, NTEL, GLO and Etisalat LTE and the fastest I have experienced is MTN .

Just Imagine how much Smile and Spectranet charge for data vs MTN

Smile

5gb.... N5,000
10gb..... 9,000
average speed.... 30mbps

Spectranet

7gb........N5,000
15gb....... N7,000
25gb....... N10,000 plus free unlimited night browsing
average speed........8mbps

MTN

3.5gb....... N2,000 plus 3.5gb phone bonus. Total 7gb
10gb..... N5,000 plus 5gb phone bonus. Total 20gb
22gb.......N10,000 plus 22gb phone bonus. Total 44gb.
average speed....... 35mbps

As u ca clearly see, MTN has the better value for money, better speed. I don't even want to go into glo because that one is even way cheaper but their speed is too much dependent on location, it doesn't match that of MTN. I know a lot of Smile users that have already abandoned ship and move to other isp's. I mean why would someone in his right sense decide to pay more for data when there are better cheaper options. Spectranet, smile and swift need to wake up or just pack up if they know they can't match the competition in pricing.

3 Likes

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by duval2: 9:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
Gbam! Seconded...

1 Like

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by augster(m): 9:15pm On Dec 01, 2016
Smile is too expensive.
They better change name from smile to something else undecided

2 Likes

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Emmysteve(m): 9:18pm On Dec 01, 2016
They should go and die. Na by force to do business Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by landinfo: 10:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
greenhulk:
I know for sure it was Smile, Spectranet and Swift that pushed for NCC to increase the price of data. Before the big boys like MTN, GLO and Etisalat launched their LTE, Smile has been one of the fastest ISP in Nigeria, but u have to pay through ur nose to be able to enjoy their services, that is how expensive it is. Earlier this year, NTEL came with their own LTE, incredible speed with unlimited, but their flaws are coverage and plans that are not affordable for the average Nigerian. Don't get me wrong, NTEL is cheap for heavy users because it is unlimited, but not everybody can afford to pay N10,000 for data every month. What about the people that just want 1gb, 2g or 5gb per month, well NTEL decided no love for them.. what were they even thinking?

Well thank God MTN an glo decided to venture into LTE and that is bad news for Smile and Spectranet as MTN and glo offer cheaper and more flexible plans. The saving grace companies like Smile had was their speed and that was why they could get subscribers in the past... but what about now that MTN LTE speed match Smile if not even faster. As for Spectranet, their own is even worse because their speed is o longer anything to write home about . I have used Smile, Spectranet, MTN, NTEL, GLO and Etisalat LTE and the fastest I have experienced is MTN .

Just Imagine how much Smile and Spectranet charge for data vs MTN

Smile

5gb.... N5,000
10gb..... 9,000
average speed.... 30mbps

Spectranet

7gb........N5,000
15gb....... N7,000
25gb....... N10,000 plus free unlimited night browsing
average speed........8mbps

MTN

3.5gb....... N2,000 plus 3.5gb phone bonus. Total 7gb
22gb.......N10,000 plus 22gb phone bonus. Total 44gb.
average speed....... 35mbps

As u ca clearly see, MTN has the better value for money, better speed. I don't even want to go into glo because that one is even way cheaper but their speed is too much dependent on location, it doesn't match that of MTN. I know a lot of Smile users that have already abandoned ship and move to other isp's. I mean why would someone in his right sense decide to pay more for data when there are better cheaper options. Spectranet, smile and swift need to wake up or just pack up if they know they can't match the competition in pricing.

U shld not let the govt deceive u....Smile, Spec, etc was a convenient excuse for govt thru NCC but we know the truth & the truth is that FG needs more money from the citizens just like fuel (87---145), #50 bank stamps, etc
Since PMB came in, all he had been doing is shout "no money"

6 Likes

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by FunkyMetahuman: 10:06pm On Dec 01, 2016
They should invest in agriculture now Abi?
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
landinfo:

U shld not let the govt deceive u....Smile, Spec, etc was a convenient excuse for govt thru NCC but we know the truth & the truth is that FG needs more money from the citizens just like fuel (87---145), #50 bank stamps, etc
Since PMB came in, all he had been doing is shout "no money"
So we citizens are their ATM Thunder will strike them Fire will burn them

2 Likes

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Whizpeter(m): 12:27am On Dec 02, 2016
Spectranet and smile should just sell their properties and equipments to MTN or Etisalat and use the proceeds from the sale to participate in MMM... cheesy grin

Rubbish set of people...
undecided

7 Likes

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by PhonePlanet(m): 8:30am On Dec 02, 2016
this is business.
if a woman have to sell tomatoes among malams selling in bulk, she would have to srive to become as big as them and enlarge her shop

look at tecno and big mobile phone makers. see how far they have come.

these new telecom companies would have to have a long meeting and discuss business/market strategy that would work for them to become as big is mtn/glo others. even if its to thier own loss initially.

thats what is called competiton in business. it happens in every sector in the world not just telecomms. and it is this same competition that made data so affordable today. if NCC regulated prices, they would kill competition and prices would be expensive even when these companies had become big.

IMO if thier prices are not cheaper as a startup, its totally thier fault. they dont have a market breakthrough strategy in place

3 Likes

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Jethrolite(m): 8:48am On Dec 02, 2016
They should die in peace and leave us alone.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 02, 2016
PhonePlanet:
this is business.
if a woman have to sell tomatoes among malams selling in bulk, she would have to srive to become as big as them and enlarge her shop

look at tecno and big mobile phone makers. see how far they have come.

these new telecom companies would have to have a long meeting and discuss business/market strategy that would work for them to become as big is mtn/glo others. even if its to thier own loss initially.

thats what is called competiton in business. it happens in every sector in the world not just telecomms. and it is this same competition that made data so affordable today. if NCC regulated prices, they would kill competition and prices would be expensive even when these companies had become big.

IMO if thier prices are not cheaper as a startup, its totally thier fault. they dont have a market breakthrough strategy in place

They should kukuma join resources and become one.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by PhonePlanet(m): 10:03am On Dec 02, 2016
greenhulk:

They should kukuma join resources and become one.
possible but who would like the idea?

if i own smile, i would want to be as big as mtn not merge and serve under them
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 02, 2016
PhonePlanet:
possible but who would like the idea?

if i own smile, i would want to be as big as mtn not merge and serve under them

Bros, a few yrs ago bank phb had a vision that soon cars will run on water, that was how ambitious they were. But they never ever imagined they would become keystone bank before cars start running on water. Also intercontinental bank had more customers than access bank, but today theybare merged under the access bank name. If u can't compete, then merge.. there's no crime in that.

1 Like

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Moswhite(m): 11:33am On Dec 02, 2016
Whizpeter:
Spectranet and smile should just sell their properties and equipments to MTN or Etisalat and use the proceeds from the sale to participate in MMM... cheesy grin

Rubbish set of people...
undecided
You are on point!
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nnaemiemax: 2:20pm On Dec 02, 2016
Moswhite:

You are on point!

Merging would have been great, but i think they simply need to evolve the features and condiments of their services from being only exlusive to data, to a full-fledged network provider like MTN and the likes.

By this, they will certainly be well positioned to pull a larger number of people to their network, equate subsidization for data services through calls, sms and other network based services, create balances for running cost through the growing customer indices, and compete efficiently through their existing proficiencies in data services.

Nigeria has a very potent market for profit generation as long as investors are willing to stick their heads out and pull opportunities for their advantage.

1 Like

Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 02, 2016
Nice thread op. I think NCC and their ineptness caused all these. It all started when landlines disappeared which made the old players (multilinks, starcomms et al) to focus only on data which in turn was killed by the GSM operators. The cluelessness of NCC made this happen. They should have protected that.

Right under NCC nose the GSM operators purchased some telecom companies in order to have facilities for 4G. They did absolutely nothing.

It's really difficult for the S's and Ntel to survive. Na NTEL I pity pass. They are the newest and their method of selling data is pretty funny coupled with only 4G facility. If you are in an area where 4G isn't in existence, you can't so anything as 2G and 3G isn't available.

Sometimes you wonder who the board of directors of these companies are.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by PhonePlanet(m): 4:13pm On Dec 02, 2016
greenhulk:

Bros, a few yrs ago bank phb had a vision that soon cars will run on water, that was how ambitious they were. But they never ever imagined they would become keystone bank before cars start running on water. Also intercontinental bank had more customers than access bank, but today theybare merged under the access bank name. If u can't compete, then merge.. there's no crime in that.
lol. if you cant beat them join them. like i said i like the idea of merging. but they really have to be pushed to the wall before they can think of that. that was the case when it came to those banks.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 05, 2016
Greenhulk, are you using the mtn on the glo or spectranet mifi? If it's the latter, does the mtn work on it? Also, do you mind breaking this down further

Thanks
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 05, 2016
ollah1:
Greenhulk, are you using the mtn on the glo or spectranet mifi? If it's the latter, does the mtn work on it? Also, do you mind breaking this down further

Thanks

Yes mtn works on spectranet mifi, but I'm currently using it with a mobile phone with 4g. I have a friend who uses mtn mifi and it works well too.

10gb is 5k but u get additional 10gb phone bonus which I have been enjoying for like 5 months now. If u don't have phone bonus yet, just put ur mtn sim in a new phone, so far that phone has not received the bonus before, mtn will send u a message for phone bonus. Then u can remove the sim and put it back in ur normal phone , u will start getting double data whenever u subscribe.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 05, 2016
greenhulk:

Yes mtn works on spectranet mifi, but I'm currently using it with a mobile phone with 4g. I have a friend who uses mtn mifi and it works well too.

10gb is 5k but u get additional 10gb phone bonus which I have been enjoying for like 5 months now. If u don't have phone bonus yet, just put ur mtn sim in a new phone, so far that phone has not received the bonus before, mtn will send u a message for phone bonus. Then u can remove the sim and put it back in ur normal phone , u will start getting double data whenever u subscribe.

I intend picking up a glo mifi then hack it and use mtn on it. I hope it's hackable at the moment and mtn works on it. Secondly, how does the phone bonus work? I currently don't have an mtn line and I don't intend having one besides on a mifi. What do you think?
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 05, 2016
ollah1:

I intend picking up a glo mifi then hack it and use mtn on it. I hope it's hackable at the moment and mtn works on it. Secondly, how does the phone bonus work? I currently don't have an mtn line and I don't intend having one besides on a mifi. What do you think?

It works on a mifi too. Don't know about glo's.mifi being unlockable but most of these modems can be easily unlocked.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 05, 2016
greenhulk:

It works on a mifi too. Don't know about glo's.mifi being unlockable but most of these modems can be easily unlocked.

I need it on the mifi. So with 5k, 20GB data is guaranteed for me which can be used on all devices?
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 05, 2016
ollah1:

I need it on the mifi. So with 5k, 20GB data is guaranteed for me which can be used on all devices?

Yes for sure.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by dustmalik: 12:23pm On Dec 05, 2016
ollah1:

The additional 10gb is not guaranteed unless the 5k/10gb plan is activated on the mifi itself by the mtn agent. You should insist that it should be activated on the mifi. They usually activate it on their own phone at the office, thereby denying you of the additional 10gb device bonus.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 05, 2016
dustmalik:

The additional 10gb is not guaranteed unless the 5k/10gb plan is activated on the mifi itself by the mtn agent. You should insist that it should be activated on the mifi. They usually activate it on their own phone at the office, thereby denying you of the additional 10gb device bonus.

How would this be done if I don't buy thier mifi?
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by dustmalik: 12:30pm On Dec 05, 2016
ollah1:

How would this be done if I don't buy thier mifi?
Get an mtn sim and activate the 5k plan on the new device.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 05, 2016
dustmalik:

Get an mtn sim and activate the 5k plan on the new device.

Splendid. So all i need do it buy the mtn sim and purchase the plan in their office likewise insisting on the additional plan to be activated on it. Can it be confirmed on any phone prior to exiting the office? Hope my questions aren't too much. I just wanna pick up the best and do so one time.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 05, 2016
ollah1:

Splendid. So all i need do it buy the mtn sim and purchase the plan in their office likewise insisting on the additional plan to be activated on it. Can it be confirmed on any phone prior to exiting the office? Hope my questions aren't too much. I just wanna pick up the best and do so one time.

I don't think u need to go to their office to activate any plan. Just get an mtn sim, put in a new device, (better with a brand new phone or any phone that has never been used for device bonus), u will definitely get the text message saying congratulations phone bonus bla bla bla. Now if u don't want to keep using it on that device no problem. Put the sim on any device u want once the bonus has been activated.
Re: Data Increase Reversal; What Is The Fate Of Smile, Spectranet And Swift? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 05, 2016
greenhulk:

I don't think u need to go to their office to activate any plan. Just get an mtn sim, put in a new device, (better with a brand new phone or any phone that has never been used for device bonus), u will definitely get the text message saying congratulations phone bonus bla bla bla. Now if u don't want to keep using it on that device no problem. Put the sim on any device u want once the bonus has been activated.

Any sim or the new 4G sim been talked about? By any phone, would a small Nokia phone so the trick? It's been months since I last switched off my Sammy and wouldn't wanna do that cos of this. Thanks for the tips bro.

(1) (Reply)

New Samsung Galaxy A 2017 Series Looks Like Mini Galaxy S7 / Help! Which Good Phone Can I Get With 45k With Above Spec / Help With A Good Photo Editing App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.