Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise (3910 Views)

10 Reasons Why Winners Chapel Is 'Dangerously' Wealthy / Atheism Is A Religion / Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by mine85(m): 1:30pm On Dec 02, 2016
10 Reasons Why Atheism is on the rise

Gradually, we are in an era when many Nigerians are becoming atheists. (Atheism is the state of not believing there is a God Jehovah who created all things). Some youths are coming out boldly to say they are atheists while many others are atheists but still attending church to pretend to belong.

I have been wondering, what will make someone who has been going to church to suddenly stop and start kicking against the chief Corner Stone. Even some are saying they are liberal, ashamed to say they are Christians. From liberality to Atheism is just a very thin line.

I drew the following conclusions with reasons. A Christian becomes an atheist for any one or more of the following reasons.

1. They were not serious Christians in the first place, that is, they were not born again or even semi born again. As a result, they fell by the way side because of little distraction by other atheists. But it's unfortunate, those who are neither hot or cold will be cast out.

2. They were not reading their Bible, except on Sundays and in brief moment only. When you are not grounded in your beliefs, you gradually slide away.

3. Some have read a little of the Bible and seeing "contradictions" they concluded that the Bible is not inspired by any God. But they are wrong, if you have not read and STUDY the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, the Bible will remain confusing to you and you become an atheist.

4. Some have been praying over an issue for years and because there is delay, they lose heart and conclude there is no God to answer prayers. But they are wrong because they didn't know that Patience is a great virtue in Christian living.

5. Some have become atheists because of constantly feeding their soul with wrong messages like these superficial oratory every where. These modern messages talk only about enjoyment in Christ. So, when little temptation or trials come (they must come) these people faint in times of trouble and become atheists. It is unfortunate, that is why we must continue to insist on the right message by openly condemning the unscriptural sermons around us.

6. Some are looking for proofs because they said scientists have said so and so but because they have not study the Bible with open hearts, they choose science over facts. The Bible has enough proofs to the discerning.

7. Some become atheist because they said... If there is God, why does He allow evil, suffering, etc. But this has to do with understanding the makers manual. He created everything and design it as such for a purpose. We should respect His template and be guided accordingly. Unfortunately, due to lack of understanding, some are now atheists because of this.

8. Some are atheists today because of flamboyant preachers. They do not see the little they know about Christ in these super demi gods called GOs and Bishops. Yes, we are in a sorry state of greediness and fake prophets but if these turning atheists have read the Bible, they will understand that God have said it that fake pastors will be many. And they have been there since the days of moses.

9. They continually feel empty inside even though they attend church, in choir, in one wing or the other. But emptiness rule their soul. As a result, they give up on God for not coming close to them. Unfortunately, they are wrong. 'Rend your hearts and not your garments' but those who feel emptiness have rend their garments only. Becoming an atheist on this ground is their fault.

10. Add yours.

I hope those who are atheists can have a rethink and retrace their steps. Also, those who are claiming Liberals to fit in.... watch it, you are on your way down to infamy. If you are a Christian, BE PROUD and you can only be proud when you begin to study hard the 66 books that gives life meaning.

Uzuegbu ifeanyi.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by stainlink(m): 1:36pm On Dec 02, 2016
Keep being on the rise, una hear?

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by hopefulLandlord: 2:03pm On Dec 02, 2016
Most of The reasons OP gave are reasons theists tell themselves to help their night sleep

the bitter truth they don't want to admit is that there have always been more atheists than were willing to admit being atheist. The internet just gave them a voice

The internet is more likely the cause of the surge in atheism in Nigeria. Religions rely on keeping their flock away from information. The trend is irreversible now, unless the internet collapses.
Religion relies upon people not hearing rebuttals of religious claims. Exposure to contradictory facts is the biggest cause of decline of religion. The internet is the perfect means of sharing arguments against religion with believers. Atheists have all the facts and logic on their side. The internet is searchable for both facts and logic tools and it’s private and personal, no one needs to know that you are asking questions. Questioning the preacher or bringing up doubts in church isn’t going to lead anywhere but being shamed into silence. It’s the no-shaming unlimited access to information that’s causing the decline. you see pastors telling his members not to watch a video of them being exposed or they'll be cursed by god

gods and religion may not have anywhere to hide when internet spreads to extremely rural areas

Religion is and always has been about physical and mental control of the sheeple by those who want to exert power over them. It started as Sun-worshippers (just like Islam continues today, bowing down to it’s heat and nurturing life giving rays!). The”Light” is Good and the “Dark” is Evil (a reason racial hate still continues also!). The FACT of the matter is that Planet Earth is a tiny little rock, which is a Recycling Machine at best. We, and all living things are born to die and our remains decay and get reused again, just like every single drop of rain that ever fell from the sky. So, if you want to worship anyone or thing, worship the Sun and Mother Nature. Look after the Earth and everything in it and your life will not have been a waste of time.

Bottom line: mankind/Nigeria is growing up. The gods that served as placeholders for the gaps in our knowledge are no longer needed. Zeus is not required to hurl our thunderbolts, nor Vulcan to spew lava.
Nor Yahweh, for anything else whatsoever…

this trend would continue; there's nothing all these deluded theists can do about it!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by TroubleMaker47(m): 2:03pm On Dec 02, 2016
No 7 is the most predominant!

Infact 90% of Nigerian atheist became 1 as a result!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by hopefulLandlord: 2:09pm On Dec 02, 2016
TroubleMaker47:
No 7 is the most predominant!
Infact 90% of Nigerian atheist became 1 as a result!
can you support this with facts? or you made that up

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by oglalasioux(m): 2:34pm On Dec 02, 2016
You are wrong about the Bible. Atheism has it's roots from reading and understanding the Bible.

The evidence that there's no god as preached by the religions is evident in the sky. What we see in the universe is contrary to what the Bible says about it. The Bible, therefore, can't be correct since it didn't give us any clue about the universe until Galileo turned his telescope to the heavens.

If there's the kind of god as preached by religions then it's pathetic that a god who created the universe will single out the Israelites as his chosen people giving them the privilege to murder and plunder his other creations.

The Bible is awash with instructions to kill and wipe out people who don't believe in the Israeli god. Same way other religions lay claim that same god has asked them to kill people who don't believe in him. What do we have? Terrorism in large scale starting from the Crusades of Pope Urban 2 to this day. Atheists think no such confusionist god exist. People are simply hiding under the notion of gods to perpertrate anti social practices.

Misfortunes, natural disasters, diseases and death are seen by atheists as natural occurances rather than a god/satan supremacy battle. It's not grace that saves a man from these negative things but pure chance. It's ridiculous to think that a god exist who rescues only a passenger out of others in an accident due to 'grace'. What will be the criteria for choosing who will die and who will live? It makes nonsense of such a god if it really exist.

Miracles, powers, prophecies, witchcraft are real but are they what we think they are? Science has already debunked a lot of what we thought are witchcraft as pure science including almost all of Moses's magics in Egypt. Study of the brain is unraveling the mysteries of dreams, visions and prophecies contrary to what religions want us to believe (There are drugs that can make your mind so charged you can tell a total stranger everything about him on first encounter. It was developed by the CIA).

To cut a long story short, atheists have reasons for not believing in any form of god. Religious people only base on faith. Faith is built on the notion of having a beyond outside the physical. I think there's nothing beyond here and pure energy since everything in the universe is identical at the subatomic state.

There's only one reason I should believe in a god. Maybe the god the religions preach actually exist but is part of the universe not it's creator. The universe, being a very dangerous place indeed, needed certain laws to follow to be able to survive in it. Maybe there was a being or beings who understood the universe and is/are trying to teach us how to survive the brutal universe. If there's any iota of credence to this crazy idea of mine then the Satan figure best describes who really wants to help mankind.

9 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by TroubleMaker47(m): 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

can you support this with facts? or you made that up
Cuz I've been there before!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by EyeHateGod: 2:53pm On Dec 02, 2016
Sorry your Bible made me An Atheist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jErLx1L1CWs

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by hopefulLandlord: 2:54pm On Dec 02, 2016
TroubleMaker47:
I'm asking how you came to conclusion of 95%
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by hopefulLandlord: 2:54pm On Dec 02, 2016
TroubleMaker47:
I'm asking how you came to conclusion of 95%
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by Auki: 3:13pm On Dec 02, 2016
Key reason:
1. Contradiction and errors in the bible
2. Internet and more information
3. Suffering and hardship
4. Unanswered prayers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 02, 2016
Lies

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by Nobody: 4:47pm On Dec 02, 2016
Why I became atheist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2jmT35fygc

In all seriousness it seems very hard for theists to wrap theit heads around the fact that some atheists thought long and hard about religion before becoming atheists. For some of us it wasn't an easy choice,

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by hopefulLandlord: 5:04pm On Dec 02, 2016
LightandDarkness:
Why I became atheist

In all seriousness it seems very hard for theists to wrap theit heads around the fact that some atheists thought long and hard about religion before becoming atheists. For some of us it wasn't an easy choice,

everybody should stop whatever they're doing and read this
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by Orter(m): 6:13pm On Dec 02, 2016
1. We are clay in the hand of the potter. He makes of it vessles of honor as well as dishonor.
2. He hates sin but not the sinner. Despite the reharsed confession of the prodigal son, he was forgiven. He never crete hell we did
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by promisechuks: 6:51pm On Dec 02, 2016
CeoMYN:
Lies
thank you!
that's all they have! .bunch of hardmirrors.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:04pm On Dec 02, 2016
Atheism is on the rise ? With those reasons you gave ?

Please Atheism is not on the rise.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by kevoh(m): 7:10pm On Dec 02, 2016
None of the 10 reasons counts for why I'm an atheist. angry Number 2 and 3 are just funny.

TGIF
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by foladara777(m): 7:53pm On Dec 02, 2016
I stopped reading at they choose science over facts... I mean WTF!!... u know fact means something that is proven right??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by HCpaul(m): 1:27am On Dec 03, 2016
kevoh:
None of the 10 reasons counts for why I'm an atheist. angry Number 2 and 3 are just funny.

TGIF

Me too o
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by jonbellion(m): 4:18am On Dec 03, 2016
If I were ever to become a thiest I'll be a diest
Not christian eww
OP your bible is a load of "2000 year old left out in the sun to dry" bullcrap

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by peacesamuel94(m): 8:08am On Dec 03, 2016
complete the title of your thread with "On Nairaland".
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by hopefulLandlord: 8:13am On Dec 03, 2016
peacesamuel94:
My good sir,
can you elucidate on that
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by peacesamuel94(m): 8:31am On Dec 03, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

My good sir,
can you elucidate on that

There is nothing to elucidate on, if at all atheism seem to be on the rise here in Nigeria , then it is only an Internet thing, specifically Nairaland Religion section, which is majorly as a result of account duplication/multiplication, and also because some christians On the Internet have lost interest in engaging in unending arguments with atheists, making their number appear to be more pronounced, like someone rightly pointed out.

With the rate at which religion is spreading in Nigeria, it with be a display of delusion at its peak, to think That atheism is On the rise in any way.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by hopefulLandlord: 9:07am On Dec 03, 2016
this is what's called "burying your head in the sand

peacesamuel94:

There is nothing to elucidate on, if at all atheism seem to be on the rise here in Nigeria

atheism has always been rising and would keep rising, internet just makes it faster, it enables rebuttal, the opportunity to hear opposing views and making YOUR decisions, since most people have lived their lives being told they're in the right religion, it makes them very uncomfortable seeing certain people not choosing any and using logic to defend their choice which makes theists question their own blind faith too and leads inevitably to atheism

, then it is only an Internet thing, specifically Nairaland Religion section,

I disagree! majority of atheists in Nigeria maintain the appearance of theism for reasons that are obvious, internet or more specifically Nairaland gave them a Voice, makes them feel " normal" and not the devil real life theists paint atheism as

which is majorly as a result of account duplication/multiplication,
I partially agree, atheists have duplicate monickers, especially due to incessant bans by mods but you'll be unfair, dishonest and border on the delusional to think its only atheists that have duplicate monickers, I know one of you that has 10 different monickers, even has one which he uses to pretend like he's female, 17, lives in Pennsylvania and is a niece to his main monicker!; I'm yet to know an atheist that have gone through such lengths, pathetic!!!
cool

and also because some christians On the Internet have lost interest in engaging in unending arguments with atheists, making their number appear to be more pronounced, like someone rightly pointed out.

you might have a point here

With the rate at which religion is spreading in Nigeria, it with be a display of delusion at its peak, to think That atheism is On the rise in any way.

you're burying your head in the sand, wake up and smell the coffee
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by onetrack(m): 9:16am On Dec 03, 2016
mine85:

2. They were not reading their Bible, except on Sundays and in brief moment only. When you are not grounded in your beliefs, you gradually slide away.

The opposite for me. I read the Bible in depth and looked carefully at criticism of it.

6. Some are looking for proofs because they said scientists have said so and so but because they have not study the Bible with open hearts, they choose science over facts. The Bible has enough proofs to the discerning.

lolwut? Science over facts? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by Marvel1206: 10:36am On Dec 03, 2016
peacesamuel94:

There is nothing to elucidate on, if at all atheism seem to be on the rise here in Nigeria , then it is only an Internet thing, specifically Nairaland Religion section, which is majorly as a result of account duplication/multiplication, and also because some christians On the Internet have lost interest in engaging in unending arguments with atheists, making their number appear to be more pronounced, like someone rightly pointed out.

true, i avoid arguments with atheists and avoid religion section like a plague. I only visit on few occassions

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by peacesamuel94(m): 11:11am On Dec 03, 2016
Marvel1206:

true, i avoid arguments with atheists and avoid religion section like a plague. I only visit on few occassions

When i initially joined nairaland, all i do is view religious threads, without commenting, just because i wanted to avoid arguing unecessarily. However i realized That apart from the memebers of this forum, other People(guests) view the threads created by atheists on a daily basis, and the response of Christians to the questions posed by atheists matter alot to these viewers.

Though i am not a mature christian myself, i respond to atheist thread with the hope that other Baby christians like myself, Will not mistake the silence of some christians hère, as consent to the diffèrent assertions made by atheists On this forum. I see it as a service to God and nothing else.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by Marvel1206: 11:37am On Dec 03, 2016
peacesamuel94:

When i initially joined nairaland, all i do is view religious threads, without commenting, just because i wanted to avoid arguing unecessarily. However i realized That apart from the memebers of this forum, other People(guests) view the threads created by atheists on a daily basis, and the response of Christians to the questions posed by atheists matter alot to these viewers.

Though i am not a mature christian myself, i respond to atheist thread with the hope that other Baby christians like myself, Will not mistake the silence of some christians hère, as consent to the diffèrent assertions made by atheists On this forum. I see it as a service to God and nothing else.
Insightful! Thanks
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by peacesamuel94(m): 11:39am On Dec 03, 2016
Marvel1206:
Insightful! Thanks

You're welcome Bro.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by mine85(m): 7:50pm On Dec 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Atheism is on the rise ? With those reasons you gave ?

Please Atheism is not on the rise.

They are increasing... or becoming bold now via social media. U see them everywhere on this thread and religion section... Compared to 5 years ago
Re: 10 Reasons Why Atheism Is On The Rise by mine85(m): 7:54pm On Dec 04, 2016
peacesamuel94:

Lol, but they are not ghosts... They are in our society too and maybe getting converts

(1) (2) (Reply)

BBC documentary:Dstv Pulls Down T. B. Joshua Channel, Emmanuel Tv / CATHOLICS Share Some Catholic Prayers That Have Worked For You / Scared! I Don't Believe In God, And You People Scare Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.