Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi (27274 Views)

Meet Oyeyemi Halima: 25-Year-Old LGA Councilor In Osun State (Photos) / Oluwo Of Iwo Offers To Bear Buhari’s Sickness, Says President Deserves 8 Years / Cash And Firearms Recovered From Justice Ademola Tendered In Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by sarrki(m): 3:43am On Dec 03, 2016
THE Federal Government has approved arms-bearing for the men and officers of the Federal Road Safety Corps following upsurge in violent attacks and killing of some of its operatives during legitimate duties.

This is coming on the sad revelation that the Corps has lost over 70 of its personnel in 2016 alone as a result of violent attacks by motorists at the course of duties on highways.

Corps Marshal and Chief Executive of FRSC, Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, made this known on Friday in Abuja at the end of year management strategy session as a way to assess the Corps stewardship as well as ensuring effective service delivery.

He noted that the FRSC Establishment Act gives power to the corps to bear arms and that the Federal Government had earlier approved that, with about 5,000 personnel already undergoing training on firearms.

The Federal Government has however approved the recruitment of about 450 personnel to beef up the operational capacity of FRSC in prompt rescue operations and enforcement drive.

Oyeyemi said: “The Act gives power to the Corps to bear arms and 5,000 of our personnel have been trained. We are just waiting for the validation of the earlier approval.

“Sadly, within the one year, we have lost 70 personnel. It is sad to note that some killing and maiming of operatives, including one from a sister agency in close collaboration with the Corps were in the course of official duties.

“A recent occurrence was the happening in Talata Mafara, Zamfara State where a motorist ran into the Mobile Court in session, killing three operatives almost instantly while a Civil Defence operative died later as a result of injuries sustained in the dastardly act.

He, however, declared that the Corps would not give up, ensuring that the mandate of making Nigerian highways safer is achieved.

The Corps Marshal said he had since last year raised the alarm that some Nigerian motorists were becoming unusually violent, following rising cases of wilful killings of some of the Corps’ operatives on official duties.

He also revealed that at the end of week 47 of 2016, road crashes claimed the lives of 4,005 persons in Nigeria from 7,657 crashes as recorded by the Corps.

He, however, pointed out that the Corps has recorded 15 per cent reduction in road traffic crashes and 25 per cent in fatality rate, during the third quarter of 2016, saying this was an indication that the Corps is making progress in the campaigns.

He said: “For instance, as at September this year, we have achieved 77.19 per cent of the expectation in RTC reduction while 83.33 per cent was archived in respect of fatality rate. We will not only keep momentum but further accelerate achievement of goals,” he said.

He also disclosed that the Corps has sacked 66 personnel (10 officers and 56 marshals) on issues bothering on indiscipline, particularly inducement of operatives by motorists to evade arrest and outright extortion by operatives.

Oyeyemi added that 33 other personnel were had their ranks reduced or lost of seniority as part of disciplinary action on them.

Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Engineer Babachir Lawal, reaffirmed the commitment of the Federal Government in supporting FRSC in achieving its mandate of making Nigerian roads safe for the citizens.

He said the government has accordingly approved the recruitment of 4350 personnel to boost the operational capacity of the Corps.

Lawal who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Political and Economic Affairs, Ambassador Olukunle Gbangbose, said the Federal Government would ensure that FRSC is properly equipped for effective service delivery while calling on the top management of the Corps to begin to think out of the box in addressing challenges faced.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/frsc-now-bear-firearms-oyeyemi/

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by sarrki(m): 3:47am On Dec 03, 2016
I don't think we are matured for this

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by ikp120(m): 3:53am On Dec 03, 2016
O boy, any nonsense these days from any driver must be treated grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Emekamex(m): 4:02am On Dec 03, 2016
It seems this government is looking for every possible way to punish Nigerians. We are still feeling the effects of the abuse of power by the police, army and civil defence, then comes another obstacle with gun wielding civil defense.
One has to ask why there is still rise in crime and accidents with these several government agencies.

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Scholarnwadimma(f): 4:03am On Dec 03, 2016
This doesnt sound good.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by nely(m): 4:04am On Dec 03, 2016
Road safety with firearms, are Nigerian policy makers drunk or we are just caused with the wrong set of people in power

99 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Jabioro: 4:09am On Dec 03, 2016
We should expect more accidental discharge..just to check if ur vehincle is in order.,SMH Something is wrong somewhere!

42 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by sarrki(m): 4:10am On Dec 03, 2016
Emekamex:
It seems this government is looking for every possible way to punish Nigerians. We are still feeling the effects of the abuse of power by the police, army and civil defence, then comes another obstacle with gun yielding civil defense.
One has to ask why there is still rise in crime with these several government agencies.

My brother, I totally agree with you

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by ruudboie(m): 4:26am On Dec 03, 2016
am sure very soon VIO will also carry firearms

25 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by sarrki(m): 4:30am On Dec 03, 2016
grin grin
ruudboie:
am sure very soon VIO will also carry firearms

4 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Atiku2019: 4:35am On Dec 03, 2016
Hmmmmmm
Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by kingdenny(m): 4:47am On Dec 03, 2016
Make everybody for nigeria kukuma dey carry arms since hundreds of Nigerian dey lose their life from police and other force recklessness.
Self defence my foot, These people can reason like tout, na wa o

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by SamuelAnyawu(m): 4:49am On Dec 03, 2016
cry cry

1 Like

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Nobody: 5:40am On Dec 03, 2016
Scholarnwadimma:
This doesnt sound good.
Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by kolnel: 5:50am On Dec 03, 2016
Boys brigade and boys scout need firearms too
This country is just a joke, always looking for a deadly way to cover up their inadequacies

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Xbee007(m): 5:54am On Dec 03, 2016
At least if we refuse to bribe them now they can shoot us. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Nobody: 6:08am On Dec 03, 2016
omo, those clowns called civil defence are the most useless power drunk idiots I know so far, the army are no better forming skelewu on civilians and diplomats with bokoharam, oh Nigeria wake up, ur slumber have destroyed ur dignity.

7 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Nobody: 6:10am On Dec 03, 2016
Firearms?? Wetin naw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Kakamorufu(m): 6:57am On Dec 03, 2016
ah. this one go worst oooo. make Dem no try am abeg
Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 03, 2016
kai dis one na gobe o ,semi automatic pistols should be OK for them o, I no wan see AK 47 for dia hand o.why don't government just merge them alongside civil defence with the police.

5 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Chugavey(m): 7:06am On Dec 03, 2016
More innocent souls to join their ancestors... without firearms these guys are lions on the roads.

5 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Agimor(m): 7:14am On Dec 03, 2016
This is long due if you ask me. How will someone be in the high way without anything to protect his or herself bearing in mind how dangerous the highway maybe.

3 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by ShootToKill: 7:18am On Dec 03, 2016
These Frsc guys will become uncivil animals if allowed to bear arms. They are already powerful enough.

Their primary job is to check if you have safety tools like Caution sign, Fire extinguisher, working trafficator lights, Brake lights. etc.

Now that they'll bear arms, expect them to start asking you for custom papers that has no business with them. Also expect more extra-judicial killings of motorists.

I'll suggest that they should not bear arms, rather when they set up check points, an armed policeman should be with them.

Man o war and peace corps (that haven't been fully rationalized) are already asking for arms. The country is a jungle.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by PaulIdu: 7:20am On Dec 03, 2016
This is all shades of color wrong ..why does a road safety official need to bear lethal arms ..Buhari has really failed this nation .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by PaulIdu: 7:21am On Dec 03, 2016
Agimor:
This is long due if you ask me. How will someone be in the high way without anything to protect his or herself bearing in mind how dangerous the highway maybe.

Are you okay

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by sarrki(m): 7:30am On Dec 03, 2016
PaulIdu:

Are you okay

When you already have an idea

Why the ? Again
Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by PaulIdu: 7:47am On Dec 03, 2016
sarrki:

When you already have an idea

Why the ? Again

Just can't fathom why anyone will support this impending disaster

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by sarrki(m): 7:49am On Dec 03, 2016
PaulIdu:

Just can't fathom way anyone will support this impending disaster

grin grin

1 Like

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by Yorubasgreat(f): 7:51am On Dec 03, 2016
sarrki:

My brother, I totally agree with you

This days your head seems like its resetting from your original stance..

I guess the recession is knocking even harder on your door..

Keep this up..

8 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by sarrki(m): 7:54am On Dec 03, 2016
Yorubasgreat:

This days your head seems like its resetting from your original stance..

I guess the recession is knocking even harder on your door..

Keep this up..

Haba sis

From onset am a patriotic Nigeria

I love Nigeria more than any individual or association

I always support what I can live with

Goodmorning

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by onoerime: 7:58am On Dec 03, 2016
Agimor:
then merge them with the police. Even the lastma officials are more prone to harrassments and dangers on the high ways.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi by alsudaes1(m): 7:59am On Dec 03, 2016
It will be misused. . .

God's protection we seek

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bala Mohammed Bags Best Governor In The North & 2nd Place Nationally / Twitter Deletes Simon Ekpa's Tweet Threatening Joe Igbokwe With Death / Why We Can’t Deliver On Our Promises – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.