Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders (26981 Views)

Igbo Traders In Yenagoa Market Protest Hoodlums' Attack, "Spirits responsible" / Discover How To Import cheap goods And Sell At higher Price In Nigeria / Igbo Traders In Bayelsa Shut Down Shops Over Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by sanerugwei: 8:56am On Dec 04, 2016
Blame the regulatory authorities
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by mightyhazell: 8:59am On Dec 04, 2016
Khd95:
ur analysis about the rain is poor,cos every wise man knows that umbrella is a neccesity,u dont wait for rain to start bfore u acquire one..so can u come up with something bettr.

Now tell me,the umbrella dat sells for 500N is substandard to the one that sells for 2500N right?

Another word for substandard is fake,not cheap,because its not of the same quality as d one that is costlier...now..the man that import same products at different prices,can even sell the fake one as original nd u nd i will still consume it
ofcourse people acquire umbrellas,..but do u always go evrywhere widit? I have an umbrella or 2 in my car at any given time. In my house,I hav countless number. But dat doesn't stop me from buying one if rain breaks out suddenly wen I go shopping or so without my car of if ma car is parked too far away and I can't afford 2 get wet nor wait indefinitely for rains 2 stop!

Unless if u meet unscrupulous persons (unscrupulous persons abounds everywhere and in every tribe)( ppl sell lands 2more than 1 ppl,..ppl charge unfair fees far more than actual worths etc) traders will always tell u the difference,...heck u can even tell wen u see dem.

4 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 04, 2016
Because you are greedy hustlers who must make it by any means.

There is a classic trend in 90% of the items these traders fabricate in china.

The first generation / batchof the item, e.g. An akt energy saver bulb, is high quality. It is just below the philips energy saver bulb.
This builds up the market and the 'brand' ( if it can be called that) and a lot of people buy it. Once the first batch of these bulbs have been exhausted, the second batch is fabricated. And now the corner cutting begins. Batch 2 is significantly lower quality than batch 1. It is lass bright, it fails more quickly, and it is exactly the same price as the first batch, even though the quality reduction means it costs much less to make.

That is just one story. We also have the traders who conned companies like ABB into making them official vendors, after which they run to china to make counterfeit switchgear that can set people's houses on fire.

We have those who sell locally counterfeited items caprisonne, peak milk, Cway water, engine oil etc. they are not selling these fakes at reduced prices. They are selling them at market rates.

And of course, we have the sellers of fake drugs. Kindly smiling men in pharmacies who give you drugs that cause severe reactions. This is why I always collect receipts from any pharmacy. I live in Festac, and there is a hospital there that sells very cheap variants of drugs. It has gotten so bad that I just get diagnosis and buy my drugs elsewhere. You can imagine a hospital providing a plaster that will not stick.

It is not about people not wanting to spend money. It is about unbridled greed and complete disregard for your customers.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by afanide: 9:00am On Dec 04, 2016
They should Export rather than Import......

Want to start EXPORTATION BUSINESS (Bitterkola/Ginger, Cocoa Powder) etc. Get the training materials and start making some cool dollar.
My contact is on my signature below.....
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by tolugar: 9:04am On Dec 04, 2016
Non of them puts a gun in your head and say you most buy.

We re just greedy. We want ever features in a product at a very cheap price.

Some of these products are cheaper in Nigeria than the country of origin
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:24am On Dec 04, 2016
kettle84:
if you had gently read the write up and assimilated it,you would have realized that it was said that you can get anything from the market depending on your purse.it is not the fault of importers that majority of Nigerians are poor and not the duty of importers to set and enforce standard.

the government failed by impoverishing Nigerians and failed to have a working standards organization.
If you had also carefully read my submission, you would understand my submission without any need for quoting me with what you wrote above.

The government need to create a friendly and flexible economic policies that would allow it to be a win-win situation for both the buyers and the sellers. The economy will definitely grow if the buyers have the purchasing power to go for their specification(s) and not substitutes as a result of lack in purchasing power.

Thus, one can only get the value for his/her money if "QUALITY" is involved and "QUALITY" should always be our watchword.

Thank you and God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by esuLAAROYE(m): 9:32am On Dec 04, 2016
LecciGucci:

Nwanyi yoruba oma (pretty yoruba woman) Bia kam luba gi(come make i marry u) kiss.

Thanks, I will marry you too

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 04, 2016
NaLaugh:
Because of the high rate of outsourcing, a lot of things in the US are "made in China," even though they're really just US companies who moved their factories to China to save money.

Honestly, I can hardly remember when last I saw anything with the label "Made in USA." sad

Although, they're specifically made for the US market and are usually different from typical Chinese products, they still carry the label.

Well said.
That's simple comparative cost advantage: why produce what you can buy from another at a very much cheaper cost?
China has surplus of the variables required for 'easier' production_ manpower,machinery/technology,materials, enabling environment...etc.

Why do our fellow Nigerians make it look like importing is so bad. The only problem I see here is the poor quality of the so called imported goods.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by gbagx(m): 9:51am On Dec 04, 2016
fammo:
U produce a phone in China and name it samsing or somsang and you say it's not fake. The thunder that will fire Is doing mannequin challenge in Zimbabwe. Wicked souls!
cheesy
fammo:
U produce a phone in China and name it samsing or somsang and you say it's not fake. The thunder that will fire Is doing mannequin challenge in Zimbabwe. Wicked souls!
....very funny
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by SmartMugu: 9:51am On Dec 04, 2016
Pillyportions:
Why are some of us here complaining.... Most of us here see these low quality china products and we still buy them. Most of these china stuffs are not fake, but the quality no be here. Atimes i thank God for China , because they hav been saving Nigerians. Since we dnt want to start producing things oya let the importing kwontinue..... All we knw is just to complain and fold our hands...... Dances off from the thread......

It's not just Nigeria, 85% of everything you will find in US stores is made in China. They may be name-brands, but they are made in China. Major American name-brands set up factories in China exploiting them for cheap labour.

You'll barely find anything in US stores made in US...Every nation seek cheap labour these days.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Arielle: 10:04am On Dec 04, 2016
What a load of hogwash! My best friend makes souvenirs and branded items for events and festivals. Her quality is top notch. People thought they were made in Europe. But she makes them in China. She told the manufacturers the products were for the European market. Her China based agent picks them up from the manufacturers and sends them to her in Nigeria. The truth is that these Chinese are used to producing sub standard goods for the nigerian market because that is what is requested by the nigerian businessmen who place the orders. For maximum profit. The Chinese are also very dubious. Any mention of the nigerian market and your products will be made to the lowest possible standard because that's what they've been used to doing. Again to maximise profit.
So these chaps should save their stories. No one's buying it.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by chigoizie7(m): 10:11am On Dec 04, 2016
Elchappo:
We don’t exit consignment without SONCAP –Customs : this one is big lie cous I am 100% sure...

Just clearing agent nd customs ve a way around this...

Who is lieing? The importers or the customs?
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by chigoizie7(m): 10:19am On Dec 04, 2016
JingoOAU:
In as much as every business owner is entitled to profit, but then, there should be dignity in business and profit

The importers, how sure are we that they also make use of what they import?

They never lied about fake products coming in.

They blamed the govt for not setting standards.

They blamed the govt for making our boarders porous.

Do u think any trader will import fake or substandard goods, if the govt will not allow it enter our shores or boarders?

US govt had their standard, that's why, no matter what, those fake and substandard china products, no de find their ways into US.

Use rice issues, the moment govt make those fake importers business un conducive, they will stop because they will always loose @ the end.

If we all think that everyone should do the right thing, then there will be no reason for enacting laws and law enforcers.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by degamemaster(m): 10:37am On Dec 04, 2016
God punish any idiot that will condemn my brother's biz. Nigeria has never been a country protecting its citizens rather extorting them. My brothers have given hope to milions of poor Nigerians that couldn't have ordinarily afforded the 'non fake' products in the market which only the rich could afford. We're going to flood the market more with 'fake' products, if anyone doesn't like he either kills him or herself, or give us referendum to decide where we will bring in our 'fake' products.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:41am On Dec 04, 2016
Khd95:
which means the iphone that costs 27k is substandard compared to the one that costs 450k,nd another word for substandard is fake right?
Which means u import fake,case closed

No, it means you demanded for fake.
No importer ties his money into things that are not in demand.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Nobody: 10:51am On Dec 04, 2016
My own is why go all the way to China and spend money (transportation included) to bring them down here, the worse is fake drugs and food that they know can cause harm to people, these people are just plainly wicked and heartless,no excuse can justify importing fake products,I hope more of their greedy asses are arrested

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Pharaoh9(m): 11:00am On Dec 04, 2016
Khd95:
pls if am unbrella sells for N500 nd d same unbrella sells for N2500 in d same market,the one that sells cheaper,is it of the same quality with the one that sells costlier

Use ur flat brain....

Zombie low quality doesn't mean fake, You can call it fake when you buy it with the price of the one with high quality,
Our problem is poverty. Rich people buy things with high quality

One will go to market and sees umbrella of #2,500 and also see the one of #500 then chose to buy the one of #500 because one can't afford it.

Do people really chose to buy fake things?
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by LecciGucci: 11:03am On Dec 04, 2016
esuLAAROYE:

Thanks, I will marry you too

Awww!.. u are sweet iya wo mi. kiss
Im gona get me this one before they snatch her away from me. cheesy
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by MeAboki(m): 11:31am On Dec 04, 2016
tollytexy:
ipob brothers and fake be like... abeg who get the zuma meme make he borrow me

In short they smuggle fake substandard goods thereby undermine our local industries and economy then their youths turn around heap all kinds of insults and blame on Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by zanogo(m): 11:38am On Dec 04, 2016
degamemaster:
God punish any idiot that will condemn my brother's biz. Nigeria has never been a country protecting its citizens rather extorting them. My brothers have given hope to milions of poor Nigerians that couldn't have ordinarily afforded the 'non fake' products in the market which only the rich could afford. We're going to flood the market more with 'fake' products, if anyone doesn't like he either kills him or herself, or give us referendum to decide where we will bring in our 'fake' products.
with this your post, i doubt your authenticity as a human.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by danot1030: 12:08pm On Dec 04, 2016
illegality is the other name to describe an Igbo man.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by MrGerald(m): 12:44pm On Dec 04, 2016
fammo:
So you think the change in name makes it fake? not like that bro, some imitations has good quality than originals, like white pple when you tell them this is imitation and this one original, what they'll ask you is which one is fake and which one is real.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Etogist: 12:47pm On Dec 04, 2016
fammo:

Without them importing low priced phones or copied phones I bet you, you won't be typing this. You should be grateful that everyone is now using android phones, courtesy of Igbo traders.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by obiaguna(m): 1:15pm On Dec 04, 2016
Nothing bad with what they are doing cos China/Asia is the manufacturing hub of the globe and it's better to buy directly from source than to buy from third party sellers. Not news that majority of Nigerians are mildly below middle class cos the rich would probably never shop at Alaba market. But looking ahead I am hoping that one day we would start producing stuff here in Nigeria but a lot of things needs to be put in place for that to happen. When would it be? Nobody knows.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by obiaguna(m): 1:17pm On Dec 04, 2016
danot1030:
illegality is the other name to describe an Igbo man.

Your opinion of the Igbo man is irrelevant.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Kachidox(m): 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2016
AnonyNymous:

But some of them are not Biblical. . .

thanks
Have you been to delta... people there name their children Government,flag E.T.C and am not lying.. the people of the SE/SS really stuck to christianity unlike other regions.. that's why islamization "KOLEWERK"..
as for the case for the deltans they had kids for the colonial masters.. that's why the names are still given to the newer generation
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Kachidox(m): 1:22pm On Dec 04, 2016
AnonyNymous:

But some of them are not Biblical. . .

thanks
Deltans bear flag, government E.T.C simply say we loved our colonial masters, had kids for them gonsef grin
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Krismart(m): 2:03pm On Dec 04, 2016
JingoOAU:
In as much as every business owner is entitled to profit, but then, there should be dignity in business and profit

The importers, how sure are we that they also make use of what they import?
Oga, to every cheap item in the market there is an original. If u don't need the cheap 1 u simply go for the original and leave the cheap for those who can't afford d original. Is it not that simple?
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by funkyibodude(m): 2:27pm On Dec 04, 2016
Pillyportions:
Why are some of us here complaining.... Most of us here see these low quality china products and we still buy them. Most of these china stuffs are not fake, but the quality no be here. Atimes i thank God for China , because they hav been saving Nigerians. Since we dnt want to start producing things oya let the importing kwontinue..... All we knw is just to complain and fold our hands...... Dances off from the thread......
my dear don't mind all those myopic Nigerians blaming igbos and China for fake products. They don't know that China has made it possible for us to even afford basic electronics, thanks to China an average Nigerian can afford a laptop, a flat screen, a smart phone etc. I remember as far back as 1996 when my father got his first laptop, he bought it almost 600k, you know what 600k is as of 96. China have helped to reduce the price of all these commodities. If anyone wants quality let he/ she spend a fortune
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Andrew3(m): 2:29pm On Dec 04, 2016
WHo among them import that chinko rubber rice? grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osemwegies And Okeys Own A Mobile Entertainment Business In Canada / 3 Popular Profitable Online Businesses You Can Start In 2019 / Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.