Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,997 members, 7,806,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? (31226 Views)

Most Dangerous Places To Live In London Online Poll,Peckham No 1 / Coming To South East London(peckham)help Needed / Little Lagos In South London( Peckham) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 12:42am On Nov 11, 2009
[center][flash=700,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJGVWf-OhkA&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]
*video came from BNP supporter, can be found here if you cannot view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJGVWf-OhkA&feature=related
[/center]

I've only been to London twice (last time was in '07), and I knew about Peckham, but I don't remember it being this naija infested populated. cheesy tongue
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by redsky1: 12:58am On Nov 11, 2009
yes that is peckham and it is a ghetto, only reason i would see this place is if I'm passing in my car.

there are so many run down parts of London (why most are concentrated in south London is beyond me) that i laugh when people back home are narrating their London trip stories to me and mention places like, elephant and castle, brixton, thornton heath (not croydon) peckham, lewisham, new cross, old kent road, thamesmead and the list continues.

there are some places in this London that makes me wonder what any right minded Nigerian would leave a very good JOB in Nigeria and live in any of these places - and if u do live in the above mentioned place and show off during your naija trips - shame on u - LOL

AND YES I KNOW THE VIDEO IS A BNP VIDEO
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by OAM4J: 5:48am On Nov 11, 2009
To the best of my knowledge Peckham has always been naija infested area even before the new millenium. The story is more than the video, but time and space will not permit me to go into it.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by SeanT21(f): 9:20am On Nov 11, 2009
Looks dirty. lipsrsealed
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 11, 2009
Haven't driven through Peckham in many years.

It's a hell hole of squalor, you don't want to break down and get stranded there!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by joxiri: 11:29am On Nov 11, 2009
these places arent that bad you should try going to southall and you will see proper squalor, besides u cnt compare rundown in nigeria to rundown in brixton and peckham, peckham and brixton are multi cultural places that keep us in touch with home wherever that maybe nigeria/ghana instead of complaining abt it being squalors, we should embrace it where do you people live that is so better ??
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 11, 2009
joxiri:

these places arent that bad you should try going to southall and you will see proper squalor

Peckham IS a hellhole of squalor, the fact there are dirtier places, doesn't make Peckham any more desirable to live in.

joxiri:

peckham and brixton are multi cultural places that keep us in touch with home wherever that maybe nigeria/ghana

I disagree - dirt and squalor are not things that should keep one in touch with home. At least, Nigeria is a third world country, what is Britains excuse, for having such run-down areas? I wouldn't leave Nigeria to live there, unless there was something chasing me out of the country, and I didn't have a good job, or prospects of getting one.

joxiri:

instead of complaining abt it being squalors, we should embrace it.

Just because we're Nigerians, we should embrace squalor and depravity? We shouldn't complain when we're given a less than ideal service? Lot's of Nigerians are living there because they probably don't have a choice, not because they want to "embrace the Peckham" conditions!

joxiri:

where do you people live that is so better ??

A lot of Nigerians do live in better surroundings than that portrayed in that video clip. Unless you feel the whole of Britain is just like rundown Peckham?
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by redsky1: 2:12pm On Nov 11, 2009
some of us live in some very nice places i for one grew up in the suburbs of north london and now live outside london

so please if the nigerians u know live in dumps don't think we all do. none of my friends live in these kind of areas so abeg lets keep things real here
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by busybody20: 2:56pm On Nov 11, 2009
blackspade:

[center][flash=700,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-6N7C13Tls&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]
*video came from BNP supporter[/center]

I've only been to London twice (last time was in '07), and I knew about Peckham, but I don't remember it being this naija infested. cheesy tongue

Oh My God! shocked shocked

Did i just see myself in this video? shocked shocked grin

Well, Peckham is Uk's version of Lagos Obalende. I only shop for african food in peckham but i dont live there tongue tongue
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by dinggle: 6:36pm On Nov 11, 2009
This is interesting, na so the london when dem dey talk about bi?? no difference with bombay or pakistan, oh boy!, british embassy bye bye this nite I dey go take my visa fees chop suya!,
chei!, thank GOD for this video, na upon dis one na him british embassy dey do shakara, I don die!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Remii(m): 6:43pm On Nov 11, 2009
My brother, no be only Peckham oo, I visited Brixton last month I could not but wonder if I was in Balogun Market or not, lol
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by justwise(m): 6:43pm On Nov 11, 2009
dinggle:

This is interesting, na so the london when dem dey talk about bi?? no difference with bombay or pakistan, oh boy!, british embassy bye bye this nite I dey go take my visa fees chop suya!,
chei!, thank GOD for this video, na upon dis one na him british embassy dey do shakara, I don die!

Hahaha look at this joker? Just be honest, u stand no chance of getting the visa let alone coming to london. What u saw there is just ONE area of London which do not represent the whole of London.

I doubt if u even apply for visa from pakistan.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 8:57pm On Nov 11, 2009
I swear youtube is ran by f.ucking communists. They took down the video. angry angry angry

EDIT: I just put up a new video up that I found somewhere else- hopefully it stays there!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by chika98: 9:08pm On Nov 11, 2009
blackspade:

I swear youtube is ran by f.ucking communists. They took down the video. angry angry angry

EDIT: I just put up a new video up that I found somewhere else- hopefully it stays there!

The video is still there and I was able to watch it.
Peckham is what it is. Just go there and have a good laugh and sorta like a good place to have a look around. Brixton can also be added to that list as well.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by segzeybaba(m): 9:26pm On Nov 11, 2009
some people on here chat so much shit sometimes,

the average rent you pay in 'peckham, brixton n dem slums' is much more than you pay elsewhere!

People that live in peckham, live there coz they love it there!

Btw, i no dey live 4 peckham
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2009
justwise:

Hahaha look at this joker? Just be honest, u stand no chance of getting the visa let alone coming to london. What u saw there is just ONE area of London which do not represent the whole of London.

I doubt if u even apply for visa from pakistan.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by justwise(m): 9:35pm On Nov 11, 2009
MrCrackles:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Bros can u handle that joker? Is like saying u don't drink beer cos its bitter while in reality u got no money to buy one.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 9:36pm On Nov 11, 2009
justwise:

Bros can u handle that joker? Is like saying u don't drink beer cos its bitter while in reality u got no money to buy one.
I feel you. . . grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by unix4real1(m): 9:38pm On Nov 11, 2009
joxiri:

these places arent that bad you should try going to southall and you will see proper squalor, besides u cnt compare rundown in nigeria to rundown in brixton and peckham, peckham and brixton are multi cultural places that keep us in touch with home wherever that maybe nigeria/ghana instead of complaining abt it being squalors, we should embrace it where do you people live that is so better ??

You all need to check out Southall first then come back here and talk about Peckham grin Peckam is far better than Southall. Those Indians and Somali are fucking dirty. You all need to be there and see what am talking about.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by chrisj2(m): 9:46pm On Nov 11, 2009
There are nice places in Peckham district. North Peckham and the estates can be like Nja and it is heavily populated by migrants of all sorts but it can be fun. Living in the sticks sometimes is not much fun and can be isolating,

Just because it is in the UK does not make it perfect but on average or balance life is still better in Peckham than in many parts of Lagos - as long as one has work and a bit of money; status is a different thing but one can take in whatever one does.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by dinggle: 9:52pm On Nov 11, 2009
O boy na trouble??, I say wetin my eye don see I no fit use my money pay for british visa, infact na british embassy go pay me before I go allow dem stamp my passport and sentence me to that place (peckham) dem dey call am, O'boy as i talk so I don dey take my money enjoy suya!!!
Na upon dis na my people go spend plenty money go buy ticket, kei GOD I beg save black man.

Those of una wen dey London, I beg make una stop to deceive us back at home, I take GOD beg una.
I beg good brothers for London make una dey post more videos so that make d blind like me fit see small, Chei na dis be the almighty UK?? olorun ma je, oooooo.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by chika98: 9:54pm On Nov 11, 2009
segzeybaba:

some people on here chat so much shit sometimes,

the average rent you pay in 'peckham, brixton n dem slums' is much more than you pay elsewhere!

People that live in peckham, live there coz they love it there!

Btw, i no dey live 4 peckham

Why the little disclaimer? Rep your hood! grin grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by joxiri: 10:29pm On Nov 11, 2009
As they say charity begins at home
I dont know where you are from siena, but I am assuming from your profile you are from delta, I maybe wrong (correct me if I am wrong), its not like any of you were born in chelsea or anything and by the way have any of you got an idea how high the average rent is in these so called squalors that are peckham and brixton,
you should put nigeria be it delta or ajegunle in order 1st before you start complaining abt peckham, cos uk embassy have given you visas to come abroad and we have bettered our lives, now we can be picky and criticise peckham
o boy this thread is bang out of order !!!!,whoever posted it reminds me of nick griffin, instead of you lot advocating for more multi cultural places like peckham and brixton which will lead to less racial tension, you are going about squalor
nonsense
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by chrisj2(m): 11:03pm On Nov 11, 2009
I dont even see what the problem is just from the video clip. Yes, if you live there, it might appear like a ghetto. But, but they do sweep up (the council), you have electricity, water, buses that run and a train station further up and you can pick up decent Nja, west indian, asian and other food at affordable prices.

Peckham has its problems but lets get real here. You can live a very decent and respectable and fun live in Peckham. There are worse places all over the western world - that is before we add developing and underdeveloped countries.

I used to live in Peckham and made progress and now live in the North West. I'll rather be back in Peckham but funny enough, I cannot afford it these days - at least to get something comparable. I now live with mostly whites and it is no fun.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 11:15pm On Nov 11, 2009
Lets get something clear. Peckham is not a true reflection of the ethnic mix of the UK. It is a typical deprived inner city settlement just like hundreds of its kinds scattered around the country.
Roll back the years and you will discover that it was once a purely white only residence. What happened there is "white flight" whereby white people gradually moved out of their properties as foreigners in this case Blacks and mainly Naijas came in. It is comparable to places like Eastam in London and some parts of Bradford, Leicester and Birmingham that makes you wonder if you are in Delhi.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by N101: 11:59pm On Nov 11, 2009
Peckham is a place I would go if I had no other choice, even then I avoid making eye contact otherwise I would laugh too much - those places are rough!

Ever been to Dalston?  Like Thornton Heath, over the years I have watched the area evolve from a promising diverse area to a run-down borderline ghetto. 

That's the saddest part.  Why is it when people move into these areas they get worse and not better? And people think this is a good thing??
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:43am On Nov 12, 2009
joxiri:

As they say charity begins at home
I dont know where you are from siena, but I am assuming from your profile you are from delta, I maybe wrong (correct me if I am wrong), its not like any of you were born in chelsea or anything and by the way have any of you got an idea how high the average rent is in these so called squalors that are peckham and brixton,
you should put nigeria be it delta or ajegunle in order 1st before you start complaining abt peckham, cos uk embassy have given you visas to come abroad and we have bettered our lives, now we can be picky and criticise peckham
o boy this thread is bang out of order !!!!,whoever posted it reminds me of nick griffin, instead of you lot advocating for more multi cultural places like peckham and brixton which will lead to less racial tension, you are going about squalor
nonsense

And politeness begins at home.

Just because I don't share your views, it's nonsense? If you like living in a dumpster, that's your choice. It doesn't mean everyone else shares your views. Because we're Nigerians, we should feel at home in a pig sty? Now, that's what I call nonsense! angry

And for your info, I wasn't given a visa, I was born here. But I'm still Nigerian, and like a clean environment. Don't go about making assumptions.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 12, 2009
I just watched the entire video and it looked pretty much like your average multicultural chinatown (just mostly blacks instead of Chinese) in any big city.

I also read the OP's original comment and it was about there being a lot of Nigerians there so where did "squalor" and "dirty" come from

Methinks peeps are losing sight of the topic here

By the way, I'm not a Londoner
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Oluschenco(m): 1:25pm On Nov 12, 2009
Of what benefit is this to us who haven't the opportunity to be there.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by olafolarin(m): 1:35pm On Nov 12, 2009
Na Today.My uncle took me there to see "other side of life".Its cute though.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Ibime(m): 1:39pm On Nov 12, 2009
wwheelz:

I just watched the entire video and it looked pretty much like your average multicultural chinatown (just mostly blacks instead of Chinese) in any big city.

GBAM!!!

I dont know why Nigerians would frown on where their people live.

The same Nigerians wish they lived in a place where they could buy scent leaf, ugwu, okporoko, uziza, cowfoot and kpomo without having to travel.

I have never even visited Peckham, but Woolwich is the bomb when I wanna go shopping. Up Peckham, Up Woolwich, and Up Hackney!  grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 12, 2009
The Moderator that edited the headline is a morafucker  grin

Peckham (In London) Is Infested With Nigerians

You mean Nigerians are like mosquitoes/cockroaches  in peckham?

Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. / The Ongoing Construction Of Bayelsa Cargo Airport (Photos And Video) / Photos From The Ongoing Lagos Ibadan Railway Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.