Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,829 members, 7,802,653 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (43170 Views)

How Much Will It Cost To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat In Benin City? / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 / Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
y are nairaland people slow? must u always quote a very long post jst to mention the op? cant u jst copy and past the op's username in ur post. jeez

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Soleymania(m): 4:18pm On Dec 08, 2016
segbas:
This article is a great one. God Bless you.

Please like how much can one spend to complete a 4 Bedroom in developing area in Ibadan.
. Am a builder. Contact me on 08032930389 whatzap.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by imcfuta: 4:23pm On Dec 08, 2016
ahmadtolha:
Hello
Anyone with 4 bedrooms and 2BQ floor plan?
that will contain as follow:
4roooms, 5 toilets, kitchen, dining, store, laundry, A car park ( contain 2 cars).
2 rooms bq: 2rooms 1 bathroom nd toilet, kitchen, Living room. With image of a very Nice front structure.
. thanks.
what is the size of ur land? Cos it will be shoky on a plot.
And then the shape of ur land determines the shape of ur structure.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 4:30pm On Dec 08, 2016
FIND THE SCHEDULE FOR THE BUILDING ATTACHED.

9'' Blocks = 1000 pcs for foundation (4 courses of blocks)
Cements = 45 - 50 bags was used
Sand = 20 Tonnes (and we still had enough for the septic tank and foundation to fence)
Granite = 20 Tonnes (including septic tank and fence footing)

Main Building.
9'' & 6'' used = 2300 pcs to roof level.

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO HAVE AN IDEA OF HOW TO PAY THE BRICKLAYER TO SET ALL THE BLOCKS; HERE IS THE HINT YOU NEED.

(Nos of Block X 40naira ) + Transport + Cost of Concrete Works

Since we used about 3500 blocks for this then:

(3500 * 40) + 10K (Trans) + 30K (Concrete works) = 180,000k (block works only)

Now that you have this figure; its not what you should pay; you also need discount so negotiate for about 170k but in the worst case, don't pay more than that or slightly higher say 190-200k (depending on design and unseen factors)

** Note that the calculation above is a guide..... to knowing if you're being charged excess.

REMEMBER TO ASK YOUR QUESTIONS AND ADVICE IF IN DOUBT - YOU CAN ALSO CHALLENGE SO WE ACHIEVE OUR GOAL OF AFFORDABLE HOUSING.

Thanks.

6 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by imcfuta: 4:38pm On Dec 08, 2016
Opeolami:
pls, I need a ground and structural plan for a three bedroom 50by50 plot of land with good front view. all room with their toilet and bathroom plus laundry room
tnx.
Drop ur contact or call 08038069069
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by InMyOpinion(m): 5:02pm On Dec 08, 2016
OP..who designed that building in your post please..Kindly share the number or website. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 5:18pm On Dec 08, 2016
InMyOpinion:
OP..who designed that building in your post please..Kindly share the number or website. Thanks

I am an architect.. It's my design.. . cadsolutions2009@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Imoy(m): 5:27pm On Dec 08, 2016
@saydfact.

I really dont understand how you calculated the money to pay the bricklayer.

Wot is th 40 for?
And why are you still paying for tp?

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 5:29pm On Dec 08, 2016
Imoy:
@saydfact.
I really dont understand how you calculated the money to pay the bricklayer.
Wot is th 40 for?
And why are you still paying for tp?

The 40 is 40 naira for setting one block... On transport it's like boq, the Bricklayer needs to pay to transport all his workers, he can't take that out of his Labour fees...
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Imoy(m): 5:31pm On Dec 08, 2016
saydfact:

The 40 is 40 naira for setting one block...

Ok tanxs, if you are paying the bricklayer for setting blocks, is it still neccessary to pay him for tp?
Plus i want to knw which will be more economical between buying ready made block and moulding it yoursef

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 5:33pm On Dec 08, 2016
Imoy:

Ok tanxs, if you are paying the bricklayer for setting blocks, is it still neccessary to pay him for tp?
Plus i want to knw which will be more economical between buying ready made block and moulding it yoursef

I always advice pple buy blocks... . because, you wld be at work and u can't trust workers to use the right amount of Cement.. . They use less and divert the rest... Buying is better

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Mannylex(m): 5:41pm On Dec 08, 2016
Best post in a while. Nice one OP.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 5:49pm On Dec 08, 2016
Mannylex:
Best post in a while. Nice one OP.

Thanks. also thanks to lalasticlala, mynd44, Seun
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by DonX001: 6:22pm On Dec 08, 2016
fkdmods:

I swear, this is probably the dumbest topic i have seen yet on Nairaland. The OP should change his ID to "captain obvious". Even the first point is ridiculous. "Ensure you have a land". As if you would build a house in space. Smh.

I'll have to say, you're probably the dumbest re*tard I've ever seen on Nairaland.
From your moniker its obvious you're a troll, but sometimes, just try and borrow some sense, even if its d size of a mustard seed.
Can't you see the number of people that have learned something from his post??

Anyway, its obvious you have no hope of ever building even a dog's kennel, talkless of a house, so the thread wouldn't make sense to you.
Don't worry, when someone creates a thread on how to survive by drinking only sugarless garri n salt everyday, I'll tag you. That's the sort of thread you'll find much more relevant to your life.
Meanwhile, you should consider changing your ID to Captain Mo*ron...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 6:48pm On Dec 08, 2016
DonX001 thanks.. . I'm happy I was of help.. If u noticed my first reply to the guy asking for a design.. I said I'm an architect but he can contact someone else... It wasn't about advert, it was about helping... Thanks. Appreciate

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by fkdmods: 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2016
DonX001:

I'll have to say, you're probably the dumbest re*tard I've ever seen on Nairaland.
From your moniker its obvious you're a troll, but sometimes, just try and borrow some sense, even if its d size of a mustard seed.
Can't you see the number of people that have learned something from his post??

Anyway, its obvious you have no hope of ever building even a dog's kennel, talkless of a house, so the thread wouldn't make sense to you.
Don't worry, when someone creates a thread on how to survive by drinking only sugarless garri n salt everyday, I'll tag you. That's the sort of thread you'll find much more relevant to your life.
Meanwhile, you should consider changing your ID to Captain Mo*ron...

I have two already bro. One in Ghana and i ain't even Ghanaian. I will pray you have the means to have one. I doubt it, but i will pray anyway. I have a problem with s.tupid people which is why i made my initial comment. And there seem to a lot of them on Nairaland. You included.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Edipee(m): 7:11pm On Dec 08, 2016
mznaett my dear. How do you see this?

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Heavance(m): 7:24pm On Dec 08, 2016
really educative

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Alman: 7:30pm On Dec 08, 2016
Thank u op. Please what are d implications of a building on rocky land in terms of cost, borehole drilling, stability and ease of working on d land. I was recently shown a plot of land. The location is lovely and d price is moderate. After clearing we discovered it is filled with solid rocks and we became sceptical. Please advise. Members in d house ur advice please.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by GreatManBee: 7:48pm On Dec 08, 2016
saydfact:
How to build your dream bungalow earning little: budget and approximate cost.

No1. Ensure you have a land,

You can pick one of the low cost areas; for many reasons which includes
a. Cost of land is cheap (obviously - why its called low cost area)
b. Normally these areas have good and film soil types
c. Labour cost is relatively cheaper to the high cost areas (but sometimes this is not a major factor because you can bring your workers and labour from any area)
d. Material cost are cheaper

I'll advice you get a One Plot of land ( 18m x 36m i.e 60ft x 120ft ) however if the price is too much to afford, settle for a half plot of land ( 9m x 36m i.e 30ft by 120ft OR 18m x 18m i.e 60ft x 60ft )

No2. Get a decent design from an Architect (not a draftsman)

There are many advantages - You are going to live in this property for a long time; or a life time - a badly designed / ventilated house would mean a future renovation at a cost higher than what you're trying to save now.

My advice here is that you ask for a minimum 3 bedroom design, and depending on your land, pocket you could opt for a 4 bedroom bungalow. Remember we Africans and Nigerians have a link to our extended families - so you want to provide a room for your Parents, Grand Parents, Cousins and Family Friend etc should they visit and want to stay overnight. I always discourage people from 2 bedroom apartment. You pay more on the long run.

No3. Get a good good workforce

Preferably via referral. I don't recommend using one of the locals (bricklayers, carpenter etc) living in the area you just brought your land. They normally do bad job, steal your materials or get away with money, because they are locals - dealing with them is difficult considering you would be living in that community soon.

My advice here is contact a friend or relative building and ask to use his workforce on your own negotiation, cos if your guy has more funds than you do, you might not afford what he's paying them. so it's your terms not his.

No4. Cost

You're probably doing to spend a fraction of a million on foundation to German floor. (remember we picked a good soil area) - so how do you get your first million to start?

Well, you don't need a million;
a. Buy let less than 30 tonnes of granite (preferably) or 2 tippers of gravel. 30 tonnes means you'll get delivery from a quarry and a good deal, but sometimes its difficult for the 30 tonnes trailer to access your site, only then should you settle for 15 or 20 tonnes.
b. Buy one 20 tonnes tippers of sharp sand; this would serve us to German floor level
c. Save for 50 bags of cement; but the actual amount you'll need is about 30 for foundation and 15 for block works and other works.
d. We wont be budgeting for reinforcement bars (rebars) because we picked a good soil.

No5. The actual works.

a. Ensure you get the Hausa guys to clear your site and up-root any tree that falls on the building's location totally, at a price of about 10k, you should get this done.
b. Digging of foundation would cost you about 25k - 30k; if you pay more than that, then you must have hit a rock under ground that needs extra cutting, however I always advice you follow C below
c. Always negotiate for all works in a stage at once, don't separate the works eg digging, foundation, blockworks etc instead discuss by saying Foundation works to German floor. (minus filling to German floor and German floor itself)
d. Filling can be done by yourself, buy your filling and get people to spread it at a rate of about 2.5k per tipper, you would need as much as 12 tippers here x about 20k per tipper but we can save cost
e. Your bricklayer should be charging you about 100 - 120k for all the works in this section (digging, casting of foundation, block works)
f. I ALWAYS ADVICE YOU DON'T HAVE LESS THAN 4 COURSES - DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE; should there be need to add a fifth, ask for the advice of a professional. 3 courses is not saving money, it is inviting trouble in the nearest future.

No6. Saving money.

To save money you can opt to dig your septic tank & soak away and use the sand dug out for filling, this would normally save you about 200k. YES! but rules applies.
a. Make sure erect the blockworks to the septic tank and soak away immediately after digging
b. Make sure the septic tank is well plastered
c. Make sure you supervise the back-filling yourself, ie every space between the septic tank's block and the natural ground must be well filled and compacted to avoid a tear off after the first rain.

No7. What Next?

Now that you have completed this works, filled the foundation to level allow rain fall on it, compact it before thinking of your german floor.

IT IS COMMON TO SEE PEOPLE CONTINUE THE BUILDING TO LINTEL OR ROOF LEVEL WITHOUT A GERMAN FLOOR but I'll advise you do it; remember, the plan is to complete the house over a long period (from limited fund), the amount you'll probably save by skipping this stage would be forced out of your pocket later in the project. You don't need something too thick, a German floor of between 3inches - 4inches would do the trick.

We would continue from here in the next series of How to Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little.

Thanks... Drop your comments, question and I'll answer them (from a professionals' point of view). It is also possible that I've omitted something major; Quote me in your reply and I'll get back. culled from: www.palmchatnow.com

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Gadgetmobil(m): 7:58pm On Dec 08, 2016
Good housing Techniques

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 8:01pm On Dec 08, 2016
Alman:
Thank u op. Please what are d implications of a building on rocky land in terms of cost, borehole drilling, stability and ease of working on d land. I was recently shown a plot of land. The location is lovely and d price is moderate. After clearing we discovered it is filled with solid rocks and we became sceptical. Please advise. Members in d house ur advice please.

Firstly.. See if u can avoid as much rock as possible... To save cost.

2ndly.. don't panic... Foundation are dug, because we want a stable soil... If u hit rock, it can't get better... However, you need to get an architect or structural Engr to advise on how u wld do the foundation... Infact, u wld end up having a beautifully landscaped house if u take advantage..

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by DonX001: 8:27pm On Dec 08, 2016
fkdmods:

I have two already bro. One in Ghana and i ain't even Ghanaian. I will pray you have the means to have one. I doubt it, but i will pray anyway. I have a problem with s.tupid people which is why i made my initial comment. And there seem to a lot of them on Nairaland. You included.

There's no point dignifying you by engaging you further. I've already made my point.
Its because of "kidults" like you that some people say this forum has gone to the dogs.
Now run along and go and play with your fellow kidults.

9 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Imoy(m): 8:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
DonX001:

There's no point dignifying you by engaging you further. I've already made my point.
Its because of "kidults" like you that some people say this forum has gone to the dogs.
Pls ignore that dimwit.

Its only a dimwit dat will not see hw relevant this thread has been.

5 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 08, 2016
OP, what about those abroad, I like this your outlines, how do we go about it, especially when we have not reliable relations, friends?

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by fkdmods: 8:58pm On Dec 08, 2016
DonX001:

Lol. You are too s.tupid to engage in any thoughtful dialogue with someone like me. So please, don't bother "dignifying" me. cool
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 9:10pm On Dec 08, 2016
Iefosa:
OP, what about those abroad, I like this your outlines, how do we go about it, especially when we have not reliable relations, friends?

Sincerely u need a trusted relative....u really do.. I have a client in Qatar he's my best client now, his dad is the person he's used as a contact...
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by smithjanetstore: 9:37pm On Dec 08, 2016
Saydfact so all this could be Like how much

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by emmaliver(m): 12:35am On Dec 09, 2016
Ok fine. But no money in Nigeria now
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by texybaby(f): 6:05am On Dec 09, 2016
Wowww nice piece... @op Pls what's the minimum number of rooms one can build on a 1plot of land.. How many rooms do you advice

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by olaide721(m): 6:40am On Dec 09, 2016
Nice one OP and nice thread u av made pple like me think with GOD and right thinking someone can attain his/her height in life but Pls do anyone know the amount a plot of land will cost in Ibadan cos op as really gingered me to get an apartment I want affordable one's ooo

here is the contact 07031692914(whatsapp)

thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little by saydfact(m): 7:36am On Dec 09, 2016
texybaby:
Wowww nice piece... @op Pls what's the minimum number of rooms one can build on a 1plot of land.. How many rooms do you advice

Morning,

you can start with a 3 or 4 bedroom at the back, this wld serve as BQ later, if u develop the another property in front... then on the remaining space in front, you could have as much as a duplex or another but bigger 3/4 bedroom flat or you could even go into higher floors because by then its our believe that God go don do better..

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Facts About People Living In Face Me I face You Houses / Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) / Plywood Ghetto-house Under Lagos Bridge That Has An Air-conditioner!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.