Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,127 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (145) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (681337 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ezzylee(m): 10:34am On May 16, 2018
FrankNetter:
Driving

Most of my posts on instagram show me driving. So someone slid into my dms asking me about the traffic laws and stuff.

Here are some rules I’ve figured out so far.

On the highway, the most important law is “go with the flow of traffic”. Everyone can’t be going at 60mph and you’re driving at 20mph, you will be pulled over by the cops.
On 3 or 4 lane highways, the lane on the left is reserved for passing (overtaking), you cannot drive slow on that lane.
Similarily, the lane on the right is for slower driving cars
If you notice people slowing down, slow down too. Chances are there’s a cop hidden somewhere waiting to pull you over.

Concerning your education stuff, if you feel starting again is too much stress for you, you could try out IT. Most especially software development. There are various coding bootcamps available over there.
Just a suggestion if you have any interest in IT and starting again would be stressful.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Electroweb(m): 10:40am On May 16, 2018
NYPD:

In the united states if you get pulled over by the police. Keep your hands in the steering wheel and wait for the police officer to get to you wothout moving. Any sudden movement would make the officer think you are about to pull out a gun or attack him.

Oh ok! This information is helpful. I have been wondering what to do in such a situation. Thanks.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 5:59pm On May 16, 2018
Nice approach FrankNetter. Don't let it bother you. Most of the credits received in Nigeria for just about all majors are not accepted here. The education system in Nigeria is a joke! I have spoken to some so called computer science graduates from Naija univ, and they have never written a line of code. How in the world can that be possible! Computer programming is all about coding for God's sake!

FrankNetter:
I looked at the course outline for nursing, it included anatomy and physiology 1 and 2. I asked if I could take a placement test for those at least, to take some credits, she declined. Even my GSTs from my first year in school, philosophy and logic, civic education etc etc, she said they can’t accept any of them.

I thanked her for her time, stood up and while walking out it dawned on me, I had wasted 6years of my life, studying in that school for nothing. undecided

But then again, I understand the theory of time zones. I will start afresh, but not in Chicago state university. I will graduate when I graduate.

Exactly bro. I just weak right now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 6:02pm On May 16, 2018
This is an option. However, as you said, he has to like programming. Software Dev. is not like most other courses. Solving problems takes a lot of time, and it's not everyone that has the patience to sit down coding for hours (or even days), to try to figure out why something is not working.

ezzylee:

Concerning your education stuff, if you feel starting again is too much stress for you, you could try out IT. Most especially software development. There are various coding bootcamps available over there.
Just a suggestion if you have any interest in IT and starting again would be stressful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 16, 2018
Bossman:
This is an option. However, as you said, he has to like programming. Software Dev. is not like most other courses. Solving problems takes a lot of time, and it's not everyone that has the patience to sit down coding for hours (or even days), to try to figure out why something is not working.

He should just start afresh, not starting at all is backward. Time flies! Nigerian education system is dead.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ezzylee(m): 7:08pm On May 16, 2018
Bossman:
Solving problems takes a lot of time, and it's not everyone that has the patience to sit down coding for hours (or even days), to try to figure out why something is not working.

Lol.... Just a/one semicolon can give you sleepless nights.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by peacengine(m): 7:19pm On May 16, 2018
Elfmannisback:

He should just start afresh, not starting at all is backward. Time flies! Nigerian education system is dead.

Same education where people apply for jobs and get it in UK, US and Canada? Don't make people lose hope bro. If it's dead how do our graduates get admission to read masters in US?

17 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 16, 2018
Frank if you are a fan of animations and you ever wanna change career path, you might want to consider 3D Animation. My nephew who studied 3D Animation for a duration of three years only at NYFA is having a fantastic and an exciting time working at Warner Bros Animation studios in California + he's raking in them Benjamins smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 16, 2018
peacengine:

Same education where people apply for jobs and get it in UK, US and Canada? Don't make people lose hope bro. If it's dead how do our graduates get admission to read masters in US?
Tell Frank to ask the admissions advisor that. They are managing us, buddy.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 7:27pm On May 16, 2018
FrankNetter:

I don’t discuss my sexcapades here bro. I no wan derail the thread grin
Lol...depends on what you write...a whole army of women may invade the thread..and track you down! Forget the sex...just ehmmm....give us the capades!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by uchechuwku: 10:39pm On May 16, 2018
FrankNetter:
I looked at the course outline for nursing, it included anatomy and physiology 1 and 2. I asked if I could take a placement test for those at least, to take some credits, she declined. Even my GSTs from my first year in school, philosophy and logic, civic education etc etc, she said they can’t accept any of them.

I thanked her for her time, stood up and while walking out it dawned on me, I had wasted 6years of my life, studying in that school for nothing. undecided

But then again, I understand the theory of time zones. I will start afresh, but not in Chicago state university. I will graduate when I graduate.

Exactly bro. I just weak right now

Apply to other schools bro. Apply until you find one that will take all or some of your credits.

I don't believe the notion Nigerian degrees and/or certificates are useless. if you know what you're made of and you are certain that you ain't "half-baked" regarding your educational background, fu.cck what the adviser said and apply to other schools till one takes all or some of your credits.

all dem pikins for here, wetin dem sabi? besides, school wil want you to take the credits again cos na still money you go pay

NIGERIAN DEGREE AND OR CERTIFICATES AINT USELESS AS LONG AS IT IS ACCREDITED

"(if you call your fine clothes rag, don't be mad when people use am clean poo)"

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by donsoft: 11:28pm On May 16, 2018
FrankNetter:

I will suggest you round up your program in Nigeria then sit for the medical exams required to practice in the US afterwards. This should be a faster option for you. I have some friends that went through this route and succeeded.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:40pm On May 16, 2018
donsoft:

I will suggest you round up your program in Nigeria then sit for the medical exams required to practice in the US afterwards. This should be a faster option for you. I have some friends that went through this route and succeeded.

I think its kinda too late to give him that advice

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 1:01am On May 17, 2018
Frank....you could hace applied in a community college for your RN and get on the spot admission. Thats what my guy did and now he is doing RN to BSN online after raking in some mega money as an RN. Time no de wait for anyone

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 1:13am On May 17, 2018
Holocene:
Frank....you could hace applied in a community college for your RN and get on the spot admission. Thats what my guy did and now he is doing RN to BSN online after raking in some mega money as an RN. Time no de wait for anyone
yeAh, I wanted to suggest that too. It’s actually the best option, and starting with nursing assistant CNA (about 6 credits) is the easiest route. After RN, he can consider an Msc or dive straight to medical school.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:37am On May 17, 2018
donsoft:

Round up what program? The medical program where every 2 weeks one union would go on strike? If it’s not johesu today, it would be NMA tomorrow or ASUU or nassu or some union nobody knows about. Coupled with the millions of uncertainty in Nigeria? Abeg I’ll pass. I’ve thought about this and there’s lots of the reasons why I didn’t go back to finish up and I’ve pointed that out countless times. Firstly, I don’t know my date of graduation even when I never failed one exam throughout my schooling. Secondly, the educational (accreditation and all) issues gave me so much heartache and I was so glad I left. Furthermore, over here in the USA, I can be working and schooling, I don’t have to worry about trivial stuff like when Nepa go bring light or money to buy fuel for gen or whether I would get robbed when I go for night class. plus, I’m already on my path to citizenship which, to me, is worth more than any educational degree I would get in Nigeria, that citizenship would cement my future generations bro; my kids wouldn’t have to deal with all the stuff I and my family went through in Nigeria. As na yankee I Dey like this, I will go to school, I will get a degree and I will make more money than my family can spend. That’s a certainty.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:42am On May 17, 2018
Holocene:

That’s my plan bro. My vexation now is that I waited for almost two years for a transcript that’s totally useless. My younger ones are rounding up their programs already (Pre-Pharm and Pre-Med).

I’m not wasting any more time, I’m currently in the process of enrolling in Prairie state college which is close to my house. I’m taking the English placement test this weekend and math placement next two weeks (I need to prepare). I’m also looking to channel this energy and enroll in GED so I won’t deal with this whole Nigerian-transfer-credit brouhaha.
**For those who don’t know, the GED certificate is equivalent to GCE for high school dropouts.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:46am On May 17, 2018
Originalsly:

Been following.......start from the White babe you were ehmmm.......so sexcited about......if you can remember that one among the harem others.

FrankNetter:

I don’t discuss my sexcapades here bro. I no wan derail the thread grin

I’m thinking of posting some “escapades” though. No 18+ stuff, should I? grin

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by CastedAyo: 6:17am On May 17, 2018
FrankNetter:

Yeah cheesy

But make Justwise no con move it to Romance section o.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by JonSnow(m): 6:32am On May 17, 2018
FrankNetter:

Round up what program? The medical program where every 2 weeks one union would go on strike? If it’s not johesu today, it would be NMA tomorrow or ASUU or nassu or some union nobody knows about. Coupled with the millions of uncertainty in Nigeria? Abeg I’ll pass. I’ve thought about this and there’s lots of the reasons why I didn’t go back to finish up and I’ve pointed that out countless times. Firstly, I don’t know my date of graduation even when I never failed one exam throughout my schooling. Secondly, the educational (accreditation and all) issues gave me so much heartache and I was so glad I left. Furthermore, over here in the USA, I can be working and schooling, I don’t have to worry about trivial stuff like when Nepa go bring light or money to buy fuel for gen or whether I would get robbed when I go for night class. plus, I’m already on my path to citizenship which, to me, is worth more than any educational degree I would get in Nigeria, that citizenship would cement my future generations bro; my kids wouldn’t have to deal with all the stuff I and my family went through in Nigeria. As na yankee I Dey like this, I will go to school, I will get a degree and I will make more money than my family can spend. That’s a certainty.

I like your determination bro. I wish you all the best. The sky is your stepping stone

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 8:41am On May 17, 2018
stonemasonn:
yeAh, I wanted to suggest that too. It’s actually the best option, and starting with nursing assistant CNA (about 6 credits) is the easiest route. After RN, he can consider an Msc or dive straight to medical school.
Yeah, although the RN is an associate degree of 2 yrs. He can then do his BSN and then move over for his Nursing Practitioner which is the shangrila of nursing in the US.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 8:44am On May 17, 2018
FrankNetter:

That’s my plan bro. My vexation now is that I waited for almost two years for a transcript that’s totally useless. My younger ones are rounding up their programs already (Pre-Pharm and Pre-Med).

I’m not wasting any more time, I’m currently in the process of enrolling in Prairie state college which is close to my house. I’m taking the English placement test this weekend and math placement next two weeks (I need to prepare). I’m also looking to channel this energy and enroll in GED so I won’t deal with this whole Nigerian-transfer-credit brouhaha.
**For those who don’t know, the GED certificate is equivalent to GCE for high school dropouts.

Chaii...if you knew sef you would have atleast started on an LPN license at least within this one year. But whats your final plan? Nursing or Medical School?

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 10:06am On May 17, 2018
FrankNetter:

Yep!..you should! ..that's what your thread is all about...your experiences. And yes.... keep it clean!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 1:43pm On May 17, 2018
Also tell us about your own sexcapades in your own new york thread, we will love to learn from your experience as well.
Originalsly:

Yep!..you should! ..that's what your thread is all about...your experiences. And yes.... keep it clean!

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 2:13pm On May 17, 2018
ezzylee:

Good suggestion. ! Bro pls where and how can I start learning coding in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by mamacajah: 4:02pm On May 17, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Im not the OP but I can answer some of your questions. Both professions are compensated well. In fact most medical professions are compensated well here. But there are some differences. Nursing is more physically demanding and you will spend more hands on time with patients. Pharmacy here is mostly fulfilling and dispensing medications. There is hardly direct patient contact. Pharmacists require more education and passing of rigourous exams than nursing.

Hi@hiawathia, I also wanted to ask similar questions.

I have been doing some research into probable courses for nigerian student to do in usa. My background has been School- science (statistics), work -Logistics/hse but I want to change careers and move to health fields as I heard it is more lucrative in the USA.
Which of these programs could you profeer advise as easier for a non-medical student to do - medical diagnostic sonography or health care administration ? Is it really better to do the CNA program first and can you do it on a visit visa or you need a F1 visa for it (since it is less than 1 year)? How easy is it to get work after studies and possibility of green card through this route?

Any other information would be appreciated. I have also sent you a PM, pls kindly respond. Thanks. grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ezzylee(m): 4:17pm On May 17, 2018
lakesidepapa:

Good suggestion. ! Bro pls where and how can I start learning coding in Nigeria?

First know what language(s) you wanna learn.

YouTube is a very good resource for learning.
W3schools, udemy, lynda, etc are few of the ones I know.

Also look at Andela nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 4:40pm On May 17, 2018
ezzylee:

First know what language(s) you wanna learn.

YouTube is a very good resource for learning.
W3schools, udemy, lynda, etc are few of the ones I know.

Also look at Andela nigeria.

Javascript and Python.

okay I will find out.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Yanumo(m): 5:34pm On May 17, 2018
lakesidepapa:

NIIT
AppTech
New Horizon
they have offices across Nigeria.
Then use w3cschools to learn online, and watch YouTube videos too
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 17, 2018
mamacajah:

Hi@hiawathia, I also wanted to ask similar questions.

I have been doing some research into probable courses for nigerian student to do in usa. My background has been School- science (statistics), work -Logistics/hse but I want to change careers and move to health fields as I heard it is more lucrative in the USA.
Which of these programs could you profeer advise as easier for a non-medical student to do - medical diagnostic sonography or health care administration ? Is it really better to do the CNA program first and can you do it on a visit visa or you need a F1 visa for it (since it is less than 1 year)? How easy is it to get work after studies and possibility of green card through this route?

Any other information would be appreciated. I have also sent you a PM, pls kindly respond. Thanks. grin
Hi, so sonography or ultrasound as it is known here can be lucrative but it requires getting accepted into an ultrasound program. Those programs are very competive. Additionally ultrasound requires the passing of stringent board examinations, continuing education, and the maintaining of a license to practice. Also new ultrasound techs usually work odd hours and require on call. Which means when u are off the clock you are really not. Have you been able to see what ultrasound consists of? If u can I recommend that first. Health care administration can be lucrative for other reasons. It is generally more of a management position and consists of responsibilities such as making decisions and making sure things are running smoothly. Basically one is direct patient care and the other is not.
As far as the visa questions, i dont know.

I didnt see a PM, but just post your questions here. Between all of us, someone should know the answer. And it will be a resource for others
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 7:01pm On May 17, 2018
Whatever you do, make sure you do NOT pay anyone to learn programming. All the resources you need are available online for free.

lakesidepapa:

Javascript and Python.

okay I will find out.

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 7:24pm On May 17, 2018
Dremca:
Also tell us about your own sexcapades in your own new york thread, we will love to learn from your experience as well.

This is the learning thread.... sharing experiences......my thread is the photo thread!

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.