Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682304 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Firefox01: 9:14pm On May 12, 2021
Just reread this entire thread again. FrankNetter, we still dey wait you. wink

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Richdee1(m): 11:04am On May 13, 2021
Firefox01:
Just reread this entire thread again. FrankNetter, we still dey wait you. wink

did you say over 200 pages??
Joke bro��

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Firefox01: 12:43pm On May 13, 2021
Richdee1:

did you say over 200 pages??
Joke bro��
I'm damn serious. Took me three days though

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Hongkog(m): 7:58pm On May 13, 2021
Originalsly:
No... that's why you see the big price difference... same with eggs. Every wonder why all the pretty good looking foods in the US but yet they always suffer from all kinds of sickness you never heard about and have so much cancer? Hmmm... you don't want to know about fish.... especially tilapia .... is better you eat dog than eat that one."All that glitters is not gold"

Can you elaborate more please.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Gernny(f): 8:50am On May 17, 2021
Please my Dad is a green card holder,I'm his only child,but married with a child,will it be easy for me to get a visa to come to USA?

As we said earlier, your best bet is the H1-B visa. But you would have to have a special skill that many Americans do not possess i.e. software/hardware engineering, coding etc.
The company that would file a petition for your H1-B application would need to show to the Department of Labor that they couldn't find a qualified US citizen for the job opening.

The asylum route is tricky because you would have to provide clear and convincing evidence that you are fearful of future persecution in Nigeria based on your religious beliefs, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or membership of a political/social group.

If you go thru the F-1/J visa route, you'd only need to stay in the US for a year before being eligible to apply for Permanent Residency
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ilekokonit: 11:00pm On Jun 24, 2021
Clefayomide:
Just so u know, my Dept hasn't been able to produce a first class graduate since the creation of the school, which is about 50years ago. And this isn't because there's nobody worth the crown, but because of the way lecturer's mark students low, because they know for sure that 1st class graduates are usually retained as lecturers in the schl and this lecturer's don't want that.
Now tell me how the young shall grow, when the old doesn't want them to grow!

Beautyaddy:

Hmmmm...this is very sad and embarrassing embarassed embarassed

This is worse than sad. It is a travesty and shows how petty some of the our so called Professors are and this their criminality and fraud perpetuated on the young must surely be partly responsible for the lack of hope and the rush to leave Nigeria at all costs by a lot of our youth.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by aboyaji(m): 11:08am On Jun 28, 2021
So, finally I'm in the 216th page of the great thread by Franknetter. Just a wonder to behold.

This thread is a blessing to all and sundry. Most Especially, me.

I'd like to start with this saying... IF ANYONE HAS A SURE ROUTE OF LEAVING THIS NAIJA, THE PERSON SHOULDN'T CONSIDER OTHERWISE. JUST STRAIGHT UP RUN...

About Frank's job description in UPS... I had similar job here in naija. But not particularly the job description that I applied for. I was employed by binatone to work as their merchandiser (aka company representative) in ShopRite.

I did some rechearch about the job beforehand and was happy then. Though I was in dare need of job. So anything goes.

I was oblivious of the fact that the job description was 'masked' until I arrived the venue.

Remember, a company representative in such job could be termed an in-store merchandiser who took care of the company's products, take stock, replace the empty shelves when a customer buys the product and sends report to the primary company.
It got to a point when it dawned on me that my job wasn't limited to my company alone but to my designated store where I represented my company.

My brothers and sisters in Christ, your brother started doing Franknetter job in UPS inside ShopRite o.

I'd resume for the day, the controllers (supervisor) would instruct us to clean shelves which took 2hrs every morning before replacing the empty shelves. As in unloading all items arranged on all shelves, clean them and replace them. The job was very tasking.

The ShopRite consisted of so many aisles upto 30+. We'll do it all.

After which we began the proper merchandising that brought us to the job.

Then, here is the SHOW.
By 10am, we would be called to assemble in their stockroom. Stockroom is like a warehouse where ALL the goods sold in the store are stored. We'd be the ones receiving the goods and arranging them. When there's any truck unloading either drinks or appliances or anything at the receiving area, we'd be the ones doing the job. MIND YOU, SHOPRITE DOESN'T PAY US FOR ALL THESE.

But received food item worth #500 for unloading a truck load of maybe, pillows, beverages, all fruits, food items, and whatnot. We'd still operate the pallet jack, took the items from the receiving post to the stockroom. No salary or wages or proper incentives from ShopRite.

When company sends bonus to ShopRite staff, we're never considered. undecided

I earned approximately 40k monthly from my parent company. No other income whatsoever. And we worked from 7-4 everyday.

What other time have we left to do other hustles lipsrsealed

I became sickly with time. I lost my closest friend from the job in December 2020 due to internal Ill health.

Each day I woke up by 5:30am and remembered the place I was working, I just fell back to sleep. Grudgingly, I'd still rise and head to work.

A lady flew across Lagos to Abuja when she got the job and thought differently. When she arrived, the supervisor intimated her on the nature of the job... She called her husband and told him the surprise she got. The husband pleaded with her to just do it and recoup her flight ticket back to Lagos. This lady managed a month and ran back to Lagos.

The funny part was that she came on suit and was asking after her office. The supervisor took her to the stockroom and showed her the place. She was infuriated.

See, in NAIJA... We're merely surviving. I googled merchandising online in Canada. The description I got was an in-store merchandiser whose job was to resume in the morning, make sure all his or her own items are well arranged on the shelves and nothing more. The merchandiser leaves immediately after putting things in check and returns in the evening for the same routine check. Their pay is very handsome too.

Sadly, we can't say the same for NAIJA sad

Thank God I left them in December. My brothers and sisters, when I look back, probably the pictures I took while on that "job" and evaluate myself now, I thank God. I was more like a stick with roots as veins all over my body.

NB: I went for a US interview in 2020 and was denied. Denial doesn't translate to loss of vision. Still I rise. grin

16 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by AngelicBeing: 11:38am On Jun 28, 2021
aboyaji:
So, finally I'm in the 216th page of the great thread by Franknetter. Just a wonder to behold.

I'd like to start with this saying... IF ANYONE HAS A SURE ROUTE OF LEAVING THIS NAIJA, THE PERSON SHOULDN'T CONSIDER OTHERWISE. JUST STRAIGHT UP RUN...

About Frank's job description in UPS... I had similar job here in naija. But not particularly the job description that I applied for. I was employed by binatone to work as their merchandiser (aka company representative) in ShopRite.

I did some rechearch about the job beforehand and was happy then. Though I was in dare need of job. So anything goes.

I was oblivious of the fact that the job description was 'masked' until I arrived the venue.

Remember, a company representative in such job could be termed an in-store merchandiser who took care of the company's products, take stock, replace the empty shelves when a customer buys the product and sends report to the primary company.
It got to a point when it dawned on me that my job wasn't limited to my company alone but to my designated store where I represented my company.

My brothers and sisters in Christ, your brother started doing Franknetter job in UPS inside ShopRite o.

I'd resume for the day, the controllers (supervisor) would instruct us to clean shelves which took 2hrs every morning before replacing the empty shelves. As in unloading all items arranged on all shelves, clean them and replace them. The job was very tasking.

Then, here is the SHOW.
By 10am, we would be called to assemble in their stockroom. Stockroom is like a warehouse where ALL the goods sold in the store are stored. We'd be the ones receiving the goods and arranging them. When there's any truck unloading either drinks or appliances or anything at the receiving area, we'd be the ones doing the job. MIND YOU, SHOPRITE DOESN'T PAY US FOR ALL THESE.

But received food item worth #500 for unloading a truck load of maybe, pillows, beverages, all fruits, food items, and whatnot. We'd still operate the pallet jack, took the items from the receiving post to the stockroom. No salary or wages or proper incentives from ShopRite.

I earned approximately 40k monthly from my parent company. No other income whatsoever. And we worked from 7-4 everyday.

I became sickly with time. I lost my closest friend from the job in December 2020 due to internal I'll health.

Each day I woke up by 5:30am and remembered the place I was working, I just fell back to sleep. Grudgingly, I'd still rise and head to work.

A lady flew across Lagos to Abuja when she got the job and thought differently. When she arrived, the supervisor intimated her on the nature of the job... She called her husband and told him the surprise she got. The husband pleaded with her to just do it and recoup her flight ticket back to Lagos. This lady managed a month and ran back to Lagos.

The funny part was that she came on suit and was asking after her office. The supervisor took her to the stockroom and showed her the place. She was infuriated.

See, in NAIJA... We're merely surviving. I googled merchandising online in Canada. The description I got was an in-store merchandiser whose job was to resume in the morning, make sure all his or her own items are well arranged on the shelves and nothing more. The merchandiser leaves immediately after putting things in check and returns in the evening for the same routine check. Their pay is very handsome too.

Thank God I left them in December. My brothers and sisters, when I look back, probably the pictures I took while on that "job" and evaluate myself now, I thank God. I was more like a stick with roots as veins all over my body.

NB: I went for a US interview in 2020 and was denied. Denial doesn't translate to loss of vision. Still I rise. grin
Chai, 40,000 Naira for this kind of Egyptian slavery job, what kind of Wickedness is going on in Nigeria with some of this organizations, like seriously , what is the role of ministry of labor in Nigeria to address this kind of Egyptian slavery in Nigeria angry

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by aboyaji(m): 11:47am On Jun 28, 2021
AngelicBeing:
Chai, 40,000 Naira for this kind of Egyptian slavery job, what kind of Wickedness is going on in Nigeria with some of this organizations, like seriously , what is the role of ministry of labor in Nigeria to address this kind of Egyptian slavery in Nigeria angry
You can say that again

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by aboyaji(m): 12:22pm On Jun 28, 2021
There was a time I resided in portharcourt. I sought for job to no avail. I got in contact with a friend who took me to an engineer
friend who worked for a construction company.

The construction company pays by day. That is, their earnings are considered based on the number of days you were at work.

The average pay was 10k per day. But the earning for an entry-level was 5k per day. Multiple this 5k by 26ays which is 130,000.

My friend had spoken to this engineer guy about me on the basis that I am very gentle, very respectful and responsible.

NB: I was under this my friends tutelage as a pneumatic engineer, so he knew me quite well.

When I came, I conversed with this engineer guy and everything settled. We left for the construction company and were ushered seats. Then the guy ghosted us. We stayed for almost 3hrs in the vicinity waiting patiently for him to come out and uttered:

"I DONT THINK I CAN HIRE THIS GUY. HE LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE WHO'D DISOBEY ME AT THE SLIGHTEST MOMENT".

My jaw dropped.

I asked him what the problem was and he said, he couldn't imagine me earning 5k daily and tomorrow now, I will start raising shoulders for him. lipsrsealed

I was tired. My friend told him that I wasn't such a person that he'd known me for over a year and we'd worked together that I was the brother he didn't have.

I stayed quiet. Then he clung unto a heavy machine (tractor) which had a pneumatic issue. He tried fixing the issue of which was very harculene for him. I noticed and came close to him, showed him what to do. He did it and it work. Then I told my friend that I'm gone.

We left the place and back to our work place. embarassed
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by NiklauseFred(m): 11:10am On Jun 29, 2021
aboyaji:
There was a time I resided in portharcourt. I sought for job to no avail. I got in contact with a friend who took me to an engineer
friend who worked for a construction company.

The construction company pays by day. That is, their earnings are considered based on the number of days you were at work.

The average pay was 10k per day. But the earning for an entry-level was 5k per day. Multiple this 5k by 26ays which is 130,000.

My friend had spoken to this engineer guy about me on the basis that I am very gentle, very respectful and responsible.

NB: I was under this my friends tutelage as a pneumatic engineer, so he knew me quite well.

When I came, I conversed with this engineer guy and everything settled. We left for the construction company and were ushered seats. Then the guy ghosted us. We stayed for almost 3hrs in the vicinity waiting patiently for him to come out and uttered:

"I DONT THINK I CAN HIRE THIS GUY. HE LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE WHO'D DISOBEY ME AT THE SLIGHTEST MOMENT".

My jaw dropped.

I asked him what the problem was and he said, he couldn't imagine me earning 5k daily and tomorrow now, I will start raising shoulders for him. lipsrsealed

I was tired. My friend told him that I wasn't such a person that he'd known me for over a year and we'd worked together that I was the brother he didn't have.

I stayed quiet. Then he clung unto a heavy machine (tractor) which had a pneumatic issue. He tried fixing the issue of which was very harculene for him. I noticed and came close to him, showed him what to do. He did it and it work. Then I told my friend that I'm gone.

We left the place and back to our work place. embarassed

Why people just be like this sef?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by aboyaji(m): 11:28am On Jun 29, 2021
NiklauseFred:

Why people just be like this sef?

My brother... Success is the best revenge.

12 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Helkayklassic(m): 2:06am On Jul 04, 2021
Finally here. Took long but worth it.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Firefox01: 10:43am On Aug 11, 2021
About starting this thread all over once again. Just finished MackyNaija and Lionlee's own grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ponytail22: 4:38pm On Aug 11, 2021
FrankNetter:
Food

One thing I've noticed here is that food is everywhere, at every corner, on every street there's an eatery (or something of that nature).

On the first day we got here, we ate out at one Chinese looking restaurant (I think I mentioned that earlier)
It was a buffet-like setting. In my characteristic gluttony, I took a bit of everything and put on my plate grin

After a few bites of my meal, the sauce from one of the ngwongwo I put on my plate mixed with the whole meal and I had to abandon the whole plate. Went and took another plate and took chicken, chips and fish this time around. Then took fruits later.

I'm rearing to go to the popular eateries like kfc, McDonald, Burger King, etc etc
(Yup, I love food like that) grin grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by damoceile: 10:07pm On Aug 18, 2021
aboyaji:

Then, here is the SHOW.

I became sickly with time. I lost my closest friend from the job in December 2020 due to internal Ill health.

I can relate to this your experience bro, I used to be a cleaner in Shoprite back in the days, I remember how i used to help their staffs(bakery and deli dept) out with chores and being left out when they get incentives... Omo ẹ no easy ó can't wait to fed this hell hole.... And I would implore you to not only fix your attention on USA alone, you can try some other European/Schengen countries too...

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by aboyaji(m): 10:18pm On Aug 18, 2021
damoceile:

I can relate to this your experience bro, I used to be a cleaner in Shoprite back in the days, I remember how i used to help their staffs(bakery and deli dept) out with chores and being left out when they get incentives... Omo ẹ no easy ó can't wait to fed this hell hole.... And I would implore you to not only fix your attention on USA alone, you can try some other European/Schengen countries too...

My attention has fully shifted from USA for now, unless it has to be on marriage something.

About your experience while cleaning in ShopRite as a messrs clean, God must lift you up. I used to have pity for messrs clean guys... I kept wondering how you guys cope with such meagreness in salary.

Keep on keeping on!

About their incentives, that's how all of the ShopRite staff behave. But the future is always bright.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by damoceile: 1:48pm On Aug 19, 2021
aboyaji:

My attention has fully shifted from USA for now, unless it has to be on marriage something.

About your experience while cleaning in ShopRite as a messrs clean, God must lift you up. I used to have pity for messrs clean guys... I kept wondering how you guys cope with such meagreness in salary.

Keep on keeping on!

About their incentives, that's how all of the ShopRite staff behave. But the future is always bright.

It wasn't easy bro but we thank God we don't we don't look like what we've been through... Good to know USA is not really on ur bucket list trying to enter USA from 9ja these days nah waste of time, even the marriage sef dem go scrutinize person so tey.. I wish you best of luck my brother.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Floki737: 5:03pm On Aug 20, 2021
I can't believe, I'm finally here cry......
I want to use this opportunity to appreciate frank and everyother person that have contributed to the success of this thread.

Please, OP I have one question, how tall are you??
I'm 5'8, and i feel I'm too short..........
Please help.........
@originalsly abeg, share your height tooo.
@lionlee216 even you...

@FrankNetter
Please, help a brother...

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by aboyaji(m): 12:21am On Aug 21, 2021
Floki737:
I can't believe, I'm finally here cry......
I want to use this opportunity to appreciate frank and everyother person that have contributed to the success of this thread.

Please, OP I have one question, how tall are you??
I'm 5'8, and i feel I'm too short..........
Please help.........
@originalsly abeg, share your height tooo.
@lionlee216 even you...

@FrankNetter
Please, help a brother...

Am I perceiving a hypochondriac effect here?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KiNg0G: 5:24pm On Sep 04, 2021
Ademat7:
OP how much is tomato per KG? Indeed we hv better variety of tomato here compare to Dis one u post(not forming o) omo9ja proudly.
I'm an agronomist so I know what I'm saying

respect
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KiNg0G: 6:05pm On Sep 04, 2021
Playa0ne:

I was back home for christmas, I speak with you from Nigeria now. Things are really bad true and I do not dispute tha fact that you can easily get a lot of things here abroad that you lack back home. But I tell you, just like Maslows hierarchy of needs, you would want more than food, shelter and electricity and security with time. The tribal slurs and all what have you in Nigeria is mainly online..its not bad in every day life in Nigeria. Ofenmanu is not a derogatory term, it means people who cook with too much oil...its like saying Oyibo is derogatory...wait to you come abroad, you will be amazed by the number of racist and ignorant white people around. Some hide their scorn and disdain for you and give you a fake smile (they learn that smile in school) but others would call you names it would make you feel really bad. So sister its a give and take thing, its not all green grass anywhere. Most of the people posing for you abroad are trapped, they are too ashamed to come home for fear that they be termed failure by friends and family...the nice Facebook pictures are to deceive you that all is well, most of them do very low jobs that you cant even imagine, because its really difficult to migrate from Nigeria at a later age and out compete kids who grew up in the system, and beat them to really good jobs...a 16year old kid abroad is on the average smarter than a 30year old man in Nigeria. I know there is nothing that you will tell a person in Nigeria right now about the true lifestyle abroad that they would understand, I pray you get a Visa soon so that you can see for yourself. I am planing on relocating back to Niger, I am working on a plan. cheers!

Take note that Oyibo people also fight and act unruly, its just that you cannot join them because it can go into your records if you get arrested and this could affect your visa extension or your stay in the country. So if you see trouble you must stay clear even though nah your trouble them find unless you have permanent residency.

respect
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KiNg0G: 6:06pm On Sep 04, 2021
signature2012:
@playa0ne,I don't want to talk,but let me just say this,is not easy or rosy in America at the initial stage,but with time,things will surely get better.The difference between naija and yankee is OPPOTUNITY!
I dont care about racism so as far it does not affect my paycheck.

black man mentality.... they chose money over their self respect.

money money money.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KiNg0G: 6:14pm On Sep 04, 2021
FrankNetter:
I see one piglet attempting to throw shots at me, the thing is, Im too busy enjoying myself to even let your shallow reply bother me.

If you love your country that much, why don't you set your USA passport on flames, rescind the citizenship (that's if you're not even an illegal immigrant) and return to your beloved nigeria.

tell us about the racism? have you been lynched yet?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KiNg0G: 6:25pm On Sep 04, 2021
signature2012:
You just said everything I have in mind.Many years ago,some of my relatives will come back from obodo oyinbo,dey will tell me America no easy o,too much tax,too much work,too much stress,bla bla bla.For my korokoro eyes,they will buy houses,import cars of different types,containers coming in to naija every 3 months,and they keep saying America no easy.
One day,I told myself,let me also go and experience the "e no easy life" without letting them know am coming...
Am enjoying the "e no easy life better than my bank work of almost 10 years.....

If you are talking about Racism in America,what about Nepotism and Favouritism In Naija.#Think..

tell us about racism.

The whole word has favouritism and nepotism.... let's talk about racism.

A white man covering his nose whenever he sees you.

especially last year during The pandemic.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KiNg0G: 6:48pm On Sep 04, 2021
FrankNetter:

O boy, chicago weather no be beans o. The cold her no dey smile. Some days back, some sort of icy rain fell o. Everywhere is just slippery. Unlike the normal snow that falls, this one sticks to the ground real fast and makes everywhere very slippery even if you're wearing boots. I think they call this type "black ice" and it has been on the news for some time now.

black ice.....

like black mail

bla(ck)sphemy

blackout
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KiNg0G: 7:07pm On Sep 04, 2021
richardbrandy:
God Would Richly Bless U Frank Netter,bossman,maternal,signature 2012,tw Woods And Others I Dint Mention Have Really Learned Alot From This Thread And U Guys Are Awsome Right From Childhood Have Always Dreamt Of Travelling To Yankee But No Help Am Already 23 Now And It Has Gotten Worse These Few Days I Cant Stop Thinking About Travelling Out This Thread Really Motivated Me And Inspired Me And I Know Now Anything Is Possible Thanks In A Million Guys
have you gone yet.

your 27 now..... you should be ashamed of yourself... trying to run to a white man country
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by hammed71(m): 7:51pm On Sep 05, 2021
KiNg0G:

have you gone yet.

your 27 now..... you should be ashamed of yourself... trying to run to a white man country
you're very stupid, he's 27 so what? Give yourself brain and get out of the travel section, its not for you.
Quote me u hear, make I give you second dose.Mumu

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KiNg0G: 10:23pm On Sep 05, 2021
hammed71:
you're very stupid, he's 27 so what? Give yourself brain and get out of the travel section, its not for you.
Quote me u hear, make I give you second dose.Mumu
travel section we agree..
but imbeciles like you are illegal immigrants waiting to jump on The next container to obodoyibo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.