Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (681302 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by signature2012(m): 4:45am On Jan 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Not true at all about the service years.

Please post a link to a USCIS source.
They will need to serve a minimum of 3years.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:39am On Jan 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Not true at all about the service years.

Please post a link to a USCIS source.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/naturalization-through-military-service-fact-sheet

signature2012:

They will need to serve a minimum of 3years.

pls post USCIS link to support this.
AFAIK they can only spend lesser years if a condition arises such as health issues, etc.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:32am On Jan 15, 2017
sledjama:

then they have to serve for a minimum of 5 years or have the citizenship revoked.
the only benefit here is getting the citizenship quickly and well, other military perks

So what you wrote was partly untrue.

"A person who obtains U.S. citizenship through his or her military service and separates from the military under “other than honorable conditions” before completing five years of honorable service may have his or her citizenship revoked."

Citizenship can be attained in a year with military service. If you have honorable discharge then there is no limit on minimum length of service.

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 8:27am On Jan 15, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

Yea it is possible... You process it and you would be issued a green card later. Have some close relatives that came through student visas too and all havee their green cards already and some of them have gotten citizenship while some are still waitin to get their citizenship. Im here on a student visa too and I'm about to start processing my green card too.
Bro what's the criteria like, how many yearsdo you have to spend there, before you could apply, i saw where you guys stated that someone has to plan himself well before coming over, am preparing myself, i don't wanna make mistakes,i want to achieve measurable success, so i wanna learn from you guys that are over there, way more experienced than i am... the little i know it's just from reading this travel section.thanks for your previous reply.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 8:29am On Jan 15, 2017
Laird:
As A student, if You studied a science or technology or engineering or mathematics course in approved schools in the U.S, You can on graduation work in an area of your course in an american organisation under OPT.....Optional training for up to 3 years.....its a government programme

Best to.look at h1B cap exempt jobs....google search that
Am planning on doing my masters over there, i studied accounting bro. how possible for my course, with what you typed above.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 10:45am On Jan 15, 2017
May be they are not aware they can have dual/triple citizenship. I carry the 3(Naija, USA, British) passports na. I just show the appropriate one as needed.

CFCman:

I don't know why some people decline to not apply for citizenship.
I had a British classmate in college whose parents had been living here for over 15 years as Permanent Residents, but not wanting to become citizens. She told me that her parents do not want to lose their 'Britishness' cheesy

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 12:41pm On Jan 15, 2017
Bossman:
May be they are not aware they can have dual/triple citizenship. I carry the 3(Naija, USA, British) passports na. I just show the appropriate one as needed.

hahaha 3in1! pay as you go package.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 2:02pm On Jan 15, 2017
Bossman:

Bossman indeed!

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ajebutteroteh(m): 2:57pm On Jan 15, 2017
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by richardbrandy: 4:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
God Would Richly Bless U Frank Netter,bossman,maternal,signature 2012,tw Woods And Others I Dint Mention Have Really Learned Alot From This Thread And U Guys Are Awsome Right From Childhood Have Always Dreamt Of Travelling To Yankee But No Help Am Already 23 Now And It Has Gotten Worse These Few Days I Cant Stop Thinking About Travelling Out This Thread Really Motivated Me And Inspired Me And I Know Now Anything Is Possible Thanks In A Million Guys

25 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by berryice(f): 7:02pm On Jan 15, 2017
Tnx op...am really enjoying d story..i pray I ve opportunity someday to share mine too....cos America is really a place to visit or stay grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 7:06pm On Jan 15, 2017
His mother is a green card holder and filed for him.

As a student your best options as EgunMogaji has stated will be get good grades and try to get a job with a company willing to sponsor you for a work visa, or fall in love with a citizen or green card holder and get married.

vickertony:
what of through student visa, eg how come op got permanent residence so soon am just curious bro, i read somewhere in Canada thread, you can apply for pr after you graduate..... isn't applicable to usa!? the above recommendations is really tough for a student moving from Nigeria, you know how it is over here.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 7:07pm On Jan 15, 2017
When you say process it what do you mean? What category will you be processing it?

MISTAICEY02288:

Yea it is possible... You process it and you would be issued a green card later. Have some close relatives that came through student visas too and all havee their green cards already and some of them have gotten citizenship while some are still waitin to get their citizenship. Im here on a student visa too and I'm about to start processing my green card too.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2017
berryice:
Tnx op...am really enjoying d story..i pray I ve opportunity someday to share mine too....cos America is really a place to visit or stay grin

It's the greatest country on earth but sha Ibadan sweet pass grin

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 15, 2017
richardbrandy:
God Would Richly Bless U Frank Netter,bossman,maternal,signature 2012,tw Woods And Others I Dint Mention Have Really Learned Alot From This Thread And U Guys Are Awsome Right From Childhood Have Always Dreamt Of Travelling To Yankee But No Help Am Already 23 Now And It Has Gotten Worse These Few Days I Cant Stop Thinking About Travelling Out This Thread Really Motivated Me And Inspired Me And I Know Now Anything Is Possible Thanks In A Million Guys

Keep your eye on the ball, you can do it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by berryice(f): 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

It's the greatest country on earth but sha Ibadan sweet pass grin
hehehe..u got jokes
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 7:29pm On Jan 15, 2017
vickertony:
what of through student visa, eg how come op got permanent residence so soon am just curious bro, i read somewhere in Canada thread, you can apply for pr after you graduate..... isn't applicable to usa!? the above recommendations is really tough for a student moving from Nigeria, you know how it is over here.

Sorry I just want to step in. I'm warning you, DO NOT go to America. I've seen many make such a mistake. When it comes to these immigration issues, everything is based on supply /demand and the political climate in the country. After school in the US it's very hard to get a company to sponsor you (I think citizens/green card holders get first dip at jobs), and marriage isn't always a sure thing. I know many people who got their degree from the US and ran up north to Canada because of immigration issues. Furthermore, the political climate in the US with Trump now in power is anti-immigration. In Canada after a masters you'd get a 3 year work visa, and if you find a relevant job you can apply for permanent residency. After getting citizenship, if you want to move down south, it's so much easier. And if you get deported you just comeback to Canada, which has the same quality of life. After tasting North America it'll be hard to go back to naija. I'm warning you!

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 15, 2017
berryice:
hehehe..u got jokes

I'm dead serious.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
maternal:

Sorry I just want to step in. I'm warning you, DO NOT go to America. I've seen many make such a mistake. When it comes to these immigration issues, everything is based on supply /demand and the political climate in the country. After school in the US it's very hard to get a company to sponsor you (I think citizens/green card holders get first dip at jobs), and marriage isn't always a sure thing. I know many people who got their degree from the US and ran up north to Canada because of immigration issues. Furthermore, the political climate in the US with Trump now in power is anti-immigration. In Canada after a masters you'd get a 3 year work visa, and if you find a relevant job you can apply for permanent residency. After getting citizenship, if you want to move down south, it's so much easier. And if you get deported you just comeback to Canada, which has the same quality of life. After tasting North America it'll be hard to go back to naija. I'm warning you!
hmmmmmnnn..............hearing this for the first tym
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by OluDare01(m): 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods:

You hit the nail on the head. If you work hard and plan well... you will succeed in America. That is what is missing in naija. I had my own home and car by the time i was 28 (and i only came here at 23) - how many Nigerians back home can say that? If you spend your time buying jordans while your mates were studying... please blame yourself for your own failures.
I will beat your record grin

11 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by richardbrandy: 7:48pm On Jan 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Keep your eye on the ball, you can do it.
Thanks
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 8:28pm On Jan 15, 2017
vickertony:
Bro what's the criteria like, how many yearsdo you have to spend there, before you could apply, i saw where you guys stated that someone has to plan himself well before coming over, am preparing myself, i don't wanna make mistakes,i want to achieve measurable success, so i wanna learn from you guys that are over there, way more experienced than i am... the little i know it's just from reading this travel section.thanks for your previous reply.

I already explain the process and criteria according to my little understanding. Read my other previous posts here to see it. And as for how long you can stay before you do it, i think its whenever you want while your visa is still valid.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Successjoy(f): 8:45pm On Jan 15, 2017
FrankNetter:
Good news guys, my permanent residency card just arrived in the mail. grin

Happiness is too mild an adjective to describe how I feel right now,

Do you know what this entails?

This means the level of success I would attain in this country is directly proportional to the level of hardwork I put in. Nothing can dampen my enthusiasm for life at this moment. The sky is not just my limit, it's my stepping stone. cool
Just saw this. Guy am so happy for you.
Just like you said "right now, even the sky is your starting point as long as you work hard"
Abeg always appreciate your mum for this...

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Beautyaddy: 9:22pm On Jan 15, 2017
This is very correct advise. Obtaining a green card after graduation with a student visa is very difficult in the US.Unless people who have obtained the green card after graduating with a student visa are not the truth how they got theirs. Unless you get a job that is willing to hire you and then file the green card for you or you obtain it through family sponsorship such as through spouse, siblings( which takes up to 10 years) or parents. It's not possible to just get the green card on a student visa even after graduating.

However, obtaining a way to obtain PR after graduation with a student visa is very possible in Canada as Maternal has stated.

maternal:

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TrollTrap: 9:30pm On Jan 15, 2017
Lol this Netter guy's joy n happiness wan make me travel go America grin

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 9:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
berryice:
hehehe..u got jokes

The truth is when my pple were getting visa, i always feel jealous. When i got my own visa, i was so happy.

Believe me, when i left nigeria, i was still happy entering a plane stuffs like that bt when i got to jfk, i was like so this is america. I felt nothing special. Thats how u will feel. Weeks after when the weather hits you hard, You will start thinking about Nigeria weather and food but i am adapting sha

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 10:06pm On Jan 15, 2017
Beautyaddy:
This is very correct advise. Obtaining a green card after graduation with a student visa is very difficult in the US.Unless people who have obtained the green card after graduating with a student visa are not the truth how they got theirs. Unless you get a job that is willing to hire you and then file the green card for you or you obtain it through family sponsorship such as through spouse, siblings( which takes up to 10 years) or parents. It's not possible to just get the green card on a student visa even after graduating.

However, obtaining a way to obtain PR after graduation with a student visa is very possible in Canada as Maternal has stated.

Sorry just to add one more thing to keep things in perspective. I feel this info is also important. Due to the NAFTA agreement, Canadians hired by a US company can just show up at the border, get TN visa after showing proof of employment offer from a US company, and they get a working visa automatically where they can set up bank accounts and live a normal life. This route is much easier for an employer than filling for a international student. Any who lives in the US would know it's not uncommon to see Canadians working in professional jobs down south especially in silicon valley. My point is, unless you discover a cure for Aids or invent the new Facebook, nobody has time for all that paperwork for you. I also noticed a lot of Nigerians are fake in the US. Be careful of them. The one giving you advise usually doesn't have papers themselves. You'll be surprised to wake up one day and Chinedu who you were chillin with not too long ago is calling you from naija.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lagosrd: 10:24pm On Jan 15, 2017
maternal:

Sorry just to add one more thing to keep things in perspective. I feel this info is also important. Due to the NAFTA agreement, Canadians hired by a US company can just show up at the border, get TN visa after showing proof of employment offer from a US company, and they get a working visa automatically where they can set up bank accounts and live a normal life. This route is much easier for an employer than filling for a international student. Any who lives in the US would know it's not uncommon to see Canadians working in professional jobs down south especially in silicon valley. My point is, unless you discover a cure for Aids or invent the new Facebook, nobody has time for all that paperwork for you. I also noticed a lot of Nigerians are fake in the US. Be careful of them. The one giving you advise usually doesn't have papers themselves. You'll be surprised to wake up one day and Chinedu who you were chillin with not too long ago is calling you from naija.

How expensive and easy is it to get a masters degree programme or diploma in Canada.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2017
Beautyaddy:

Both you and Maternal are wrong on this. I know a couple of people that got in to the US with student visa (Masters degree) and now they are green card holders. You both may be right on your parts ooo, but I'm also saying this from what i know and have seen, and not just a hearsay..

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by berryice(f): 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2017
lionlee216:

The truth is when my pple were getting visa, i always feel jealous. When i got my own visa, i was so happy.

Believe me, when i left nigeria, i was still happy entering a plane stuffs like that bt when i got to jfk, i was like so this is america. I felt nothing special. Thats how u will feel. Weeks after when the weather hits you hard, You will start thinking about Nigeria weather and food but i am adapting sha
yea...u will surely feel home sick nd all,but I just wanna feel d place nd ve my own xperience too...dah kin tin lol

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 10:53pm On Jan 15, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

I already explain the process and criteria according to my little understanding. Read my other previous posts here to see it. And as for how long you can stay before you do it, i think its whenever you want while your visa is still valid.
thanks bro
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 10:54pm On Jan 15, 2017
maternal:

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.