Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,854 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:45 AM

Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India (55901 Views)

Onyema’s Case Goes Tough As EFCC Seizes His Passports, Restricts His Movement / Allen Onyema: U.S. Seizes $14 Million In Bank Accounts Linked To Air Peace Boss / Suppliers Of Egusi, Ogbono And Bonga Fish Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by yanabasee(m): 12:05am On Dec 06, 2016
malton:
One day, Nigeria shall import even dark skinned people.

What this country needs is a dictator with good intentions, solid policies, and the willpower to get things done. Someone who doesn't take no for an answer. Western liberalism will obviously get us nowhere.

Someone once argued that a "capable, technocratic authoritarian government on top of its game is far better for a developing, background country than a democratic one." I thought he was being naive when I read his submission. How true this is for my country.

Let's face it, Nigeria's problem isn't the system of government nor the people. Our issue stems from having successive governments that have failed to make a headway in spite of all the support they have got.

Singapore, China, S. Korea, Japan, and Taiwan, to list a few, have all turned their fortunes around despite being a unitary government. Canada, England, Spain, etc have done so as a constitutional monarchy. The US, Germany, Switzerland, etc. have gone on to achieve greatness as a republic.

Our problems:

1. Religiousity

2. Too many vested interests (generator importers cabal frustrating power stability, transport moguls frustrating railway, and so many more)

3. Lack of will

4. Skew sighted, warped, and bigoted "leaders"

5. The political circle comprises 90% illiterates who are incapable of any good by themselves.

We need a benevolent dictator to right many wrongs before things can take shape in this country. The masses are willing, but that's about as much power as they have got. The political parties keep churning out dundees.

I can't shout!

Nice piece.....

But...Nigeria needs a neutral candidate and not a dictator ...
a dictator will only drive us backward......

A neutral candidate that isn't supported by any godfather like tinubu or Obj or the likes.... these ppl chose candidates and garner votes for them so they can get something in return...These godfathers often strive to make national decisions which only favor their pockets and not for the sole interest of the citizens at large...

we just need to let them to chose their candidate via party/primary election.... then will look for Neutral candidate and vote for.... This way, the aspirant will be answerable to no one and can make decisions that will stand..

1 Like

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by chronique(m): 12:28am On Dec 06, 2016
Are Nigerians this gullible? Do you guys know what pounded yam looks like when preserved overnight? How were these foods preserved and kept in that container without spoiling,despite the length of time it takes to sail from india to nigeria? This story doesnr make sense at all.
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by jara: 12:32am On Dec 06, 2016
Until young people in this country rise up and realize the future and the country is theirs, and do not belong to those on life scholarships still messing us up, we will continue to yap yap yap!

Go everywhere, the last London revolt when police shot an innocent man to death and called him a terrorist, was organized and kept alive by young people. Black lives matter is led by young people.

They are waiting for Wole Soyinka to die for them or the old man teargassed in Lekki protesting "Invade Lagos" on tole road.

Nigerian youths cannot wait to cross and die in the deserts and seas when they can die here honorably and change their country.

Wait dia O! The fresh fish in cans caught in your waters are cooked, packaged, frozen and sent back to you stale. You buy pondo yam (yam flakes) made overseas, even Nigerians buy "wheatlet" and bring it home as garri. Nigerians refused to eat cassava bread eaten and more expensive than pure wheat bread in Caribbean and western world.

Ask yourself if you have not eaten corn-beef, cornbread, baked beans and corn flakes imported into the country today.

Make una dey fool unaself O!

1 Like

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by erico2k2(m): 12:52am On Dec 06, 2016
chronique:
Are Nigerians this gullible? Do you guys know what pounded yam looks like when preserved overnight? How were these foods preserved and kept in that container without spoiling,despite the length of time it takes to sail from india to nigeria? This story doesnr make sense at all.
Preservatives my friend .

2 Likes

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by Rockyrascal(m): 1:03am On Dec 06, 2016
malton:

What this country needs is a dictator with good intentions, solid policies, and the willpower to get things done. Someone who doesn't take no for an answer. Western liberalism will obviously get us nowhere.

Someone once argued that a "capable, technocratic authoritarian government on top of its game is far better for a developing, background country than a democratic one." I thought he was being naive when I read his submission. How true this is for my country.

Let's face it, Nigeria's problem isn't the system of government nor the people. Our issue stems from having successive governments that have failed to make a headway in spite of all the support they have got.

Singapore, China, S. Korea, Japan, and Taiwan, to list a few, have all turned their fortunes around despite being a unitary government. Canada, England, Spain, etc have done so as a constitutional monarchy. The US, Germany, Switzerland, etc. have gone on to achieve greatness as a republic.

Our problems:

1. Religiousity

2. Too many vested interests (generator importers cabal frustrating power stability, transport moguls frustrating railway, and so many more)

3. Lack of will

5. The political circle comprises 90% illiterates who are incapable of any good by themselves.

We need a benevolent dictator to right many wrongs before things can take shape in this country. The masses are willing, but that's about as much power as they have got. The political parties keep churning out dundees.

I can't shout!
nigeria's population is made up of over 70% youths, but rather, we take these politrickcians as deities instead of servants.

1 Like

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by AreaFada2: 1:37am On Dec 06, 2016
NA WA O. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:02am On Dec 06, 2016
malton:

Our problems:

1. Religiousity

3. Lack of will

I can't shout!

I can't fault your submission, but what happens when this "Strong,benevolent dictator" leaves power? Isn't there the risk that we would fall back to our old ways and ruin all the achievements this leader has left behind?

Take for instance: In Lagos, opposite the National Stadium, the area was a hotbed of disorganisation. Multiple bike stands, danfos parking anywhere and turning anyhow, roadside sellers and hawkers selling their goods wherever they deemed fit....... As a result, traffic in the area was a nightmare and it was generally unsafe. Then Fashola became governor and cleared all of them out and cleaned up the place. Traffic flowed easily, the area was clean and organized and everything ran pretty good. Then Fashola left office and it seemed for the first few months of Ambode's tenure, he wasn't interested in the area or continuing what Fashola did there. Gradually, the indiscriminate parking and hawking and driving returned to the area. Fortunately, Ambode fixed the issue before it became a real problem and it's more or less back to the way Fashola left it, possibly better.

Question is, what if Ambode wasn't interested in continuing Fashola's legacy in that area? It is obvious it would return to the disorganised, polluted, traffic nightmare it was.

So what's the solution, if not "strong, benevolent leaders"?

Strong systems! They would ensure that regardless of who is in power, things would run the way they should. The problem with Nigeria right now is that we run a weak system that doesn't punish nonperformance and idleness or disorganisation and corruption - which is why these things have become part of the system - and are strong in it. Don't assume that al the leaders we have had and currently have all came in with bad intentions. It's just that they alone couldn't change the system and even when they did, the system reverts back to the way it was before they took office.

Government is like balancing a stick on a knife edge: it can easily fail if not done right. Having good people means that the stick would be balanced well as long as those people are there to balance it. Having strong systems means that regardless of who is balancing it, it would still remain balanced and, if the person isn't good enough, the person would be replaced with someone that can balance it properly. And that's where Nigeria is not getting it right. Our system is essentially flawed. It's more important to have a legislature that makes the right kind of laws and an executive that would execute said laws and mandates properly and a judicial system that interprets those laws and, of course, a system in which all three keep each other in check than to have good people in offices because it is inevitable that someone with the wrong mindset or intention would take office. But if there is a strong, proper system in place, the country would still run fine regardless.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by globatop: 2:54am On Dec 06, 2016
Rockyrascal:
nigeria's population is made up of over 70% youths, but rather, we take these politrickcians as deities instead of servants.

Dead on point, Nigerians does not need democracy, autocracy with purposeful leadership is better.

Those countries that are shouting human rights and rule of law were sometimes in our shoe and it wasn't Democratic system of govt that aided their developments.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by buffalowings: 3:02am On Dec 06, 2016
Let's use our brain now.

If it is cooked

How will it not spoil before being cleared in our ports.

Or is there something missing
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by paulibling(m): 3:02am On Dec 06, 2016
Na because Una like foreign things naa. Innosson do motor Una say e no good say na imported Una want. Aba do shoe, sow cloth, copy imported do Una no gree. Soteey Osho look all the women for bini go import one. Na I'm some come reason say make them give fast food a run with their business with sharp food na I'm custom carry their winch come.

Fast food vs sharp food things
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by buffalowings: 3:04am On Dec 06, 2016
erico2k2:

Preservatives my friend .

In ogbono soup?

Nothing person no go hear for this useless country
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by buffalowings: 3:06am On Dec 06, 2016
chronique:

I have my doubts too brother

But we tin person no go hear for this country

Remember we import tooth pick

So nothing is impossible

1 Like

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by nextprince: 3:09am On Dec 06, 2016
john650:

Obviously, the Indian doesn't hold us in high regard. He has probably spent some time in Nigeria and studied our behaviour. He figured if we can import toothpick, why not egusi and ogbono. I bet you if you put that canned egusi and ogbono soup in the market, people will buy it quicker than the one their mama cook.

If the local textile material we use to make clothes is imported, why not our local delicasies.

End of Discussion.

1 Like

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by Ekeremgba(m): 4:08am On Dec 06, 2016

1 Share

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by Gerrard59(m): 5:46am On Dec 06, 2016
malton:

I can't shout!

All I see is a Lee Kuan Yew cheesy cheesy cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by charlsecy(m): 5:50am On Dec 06, 2016
malton:
What this country needs is a dictator with good intentions, solid policies, and the willpower to get things done. Someone who doesn't take no for an answer.
I have somewhat similar views.

1 Like

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by duullie88(m): 6:20am On Dec 06, 2016
Nigeria problems seems to have no end, the health hazards alone of this imported food no b here.
It is at times like this I support the closing of borders and ban on imported commodities.. let's borrow a leaf from China that closed all dia borders and used dia massive population to produce commodities until they had enough for them self and sold the surplus to the rest of the world...Nigeria can do this and surpass her full potentials

1 Like

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by Ahmeduana(m): 6:24am On Dec 06, 2016
HAVE READ IT BEFORE ON FACEBOOK, BUT I DON'T BELIEF ANY SINGLE SENTENCE OF THAT STORY, AFTER ALL WILL ARE IN goverment of lies, create with lies, by liers and for the liers,
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by Ahmeduana(m): 6:26am On Dec 06, 2016
modath:

Na deep inside ocean bed for pacific dem trowey the padlock wey dey hold Nigeria's glory!!!! undecided

Importing food, mama put don finish?
MY SISTER DON'T BELIVE THAT FABRICATED LIES.
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by MizTyna(f): 6:27am On Dec 06, 2016
nwaanambra1:

thank you guys for totally messing up my evening.

this is so painful and heart wrenching! cry cry cry cry cry sad sad sad sad

just one question that i cant seems to answer: IS THERE A SOLUTION? embarassed undecided sad

And mine too. Quite heartbreaking. Soon, this same people will start complaining about the exchange rate. How can we import jollof rice when we are the jollof rice? Quite stupid

2 Likes

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by cnanu(m): 6:28am On Dec 06, 2016
malton:

Our problems:

1. Religiousity

3. Lack of will

I can't shout!
lol @ Nigeria shall import even dark skinned people. But the listed problem are really affecting Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by ikupakuti(m): 6:43am On Dec 06, 2016
modath:

I'm just amazed too!!! We import pineapple from Benin Republic bros, e don be for naija... The Dibia wey go cast out the demon, dem never conceive am!!!! cry cry

I find this story very very hard to believe...doesnt even make an iota of sense! .

Export ogbono to india and then inport it cooked back home to sell?

Is our local market lacking in that aspect sef?

All the way from india? Not even ghana?

Ogbono?

Jollof rice?

How “ll you even create the market & generate profit?

..well i can never choose a canned cooked jollof over a freshly cooked one

..by the way these are local foods for God‘s sake!
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by SURElee(f): 7:10am On Dec 06, 2016
How can a Nigerian go and import egusi, ogbono soup and fried rice that are readily available in this country? You bring in imported foods laced with chemicals as preservatives for people to eat? Lord, have mercy.
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by victorazy(m): 7:23am On Dec 06, 2016
modath:

Na deep inside ocean bed for pacific dem trowey the padlock wey dey hold Nigeria's glory!!!! undecided

River Niger precisely
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by ademijuwonlo(f): 7:54am On Dec 06, 2016
This country just makes me sad every time. We have all it takes to develop but things are not just working. I believe With God and dedication on our part things ll turn out well. God bless FRN.....may we as Nigerians live and do exploit in good time.
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by chiefojiji(m): 8:23am On Dec 06, 2016
nwaanambra1:

thank you guys for totally messing up my evening.

this is so painful and heart wrenching! cry cry cry cry cry sad sad sad sad

just one question that i cant seems to answer: IS THERE A SOLUTION? embarassed undecided sad

yes!!

make d world end, daats d solution.
#iweep
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by NaijaBlend: 8:32am On Dec 06, 2016
Sorry, where is the picture of the said Egusi Soup and Jollof Rice?
One thing we have NOT realised is the enormity of propaganda of this administration!
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by Drbarmes(m): 8:34am On Dec 06, 2016
malton:

Our problems:

1. Religiousity

3. Lack of will

I can't shout!
Bros God enrich u with more wisdom. U have said it all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by megama: 8:43am On Dec 06, 2016
excellent2013:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/customs-intercepts-container-jollof-rice-yam-porridge-egusi-india/
we need pictures of the food inside container. Show us pls. Because this sounds like mirage
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by biggz82: 9:09am On Dec 06, 2016
Dis 1 na big LIE
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 06, 2016
Egusi and ogbono from India shocked
Re: Customs Seizes Jollof Rice, Ogbono And Egusi Soup Imported From India by malton: 9:21am On Dec 06, 2016
senbonzakurakageyoshi:

I can't fault your submission, but what happens when this "Strong,benevolent dictator" leaves power? Isn't there the risk that we would fall back to our old ways and ruin all the achievements this leader has left behind?

Take for instance: In Lagos, opposite the National Stadium, the area was a hotbed of disorganisation. Multiple bike stands, danfos parking anywhere and turning anyhow, roadside sellers and hawkers selling their goods wherever they deemed fit....... As a result, traffic in the area was a nightmare and it was generally unsafe. Then Fashola became governor and cleared all of them out and cleaned up the place. Traffic flowed easily, the area was clean and organized and everything ran pretty good. Then Fashola left office and it seemed for the first few months of Ambode's tenure, he wasn't interested in the area or continuing what Fashola did there. Gradually, the indiscriminate parking and hawking and driving returned to the area. Fortunately, Ambode fixed the issue before it became a real problem and it's more or less back to the way Fashola left it, possibly better.

Question is, what if Ambode wasn't interested in continuing Fashola's legacy in that area? It is obvious it would return to the disorganised, polluted, traffic nightmare it was.

So what's the solution, if not "strong, benevolent leaders"?

Strong systems! They would ensure that regardless of who is in power, things would run the way they should. The problem with Nigeria right now is that we run a weak system that doesn't punish nonperformance and idleness or disorganisation and corruption - which is why these things have become part of the system - and are strong in it. Don't assume that al the leaders we have had and currently have all came in with bad intentions. It's just that they alone couldn't change the system and even when they did, the system reverts back to the way it was before they took office.

Government is like balancing a stick on a knife edge: it can easily fail if not done right. Having good people means that the stick would be balanced well as long as those people are there to balance it. Having strong systems means that regardless of who is balancing it, it would still remain balanced and, if the person isn't good enough, the person would be replaced with someone that can balance it properly. And that's where Nigeria is not getting it right. Our system is essentially flawed. It's more important to have a legislature that makes the right kind of laws and an executive that would execute said laws and mandates properly and a judicial system that interprets those laws and, of course, a system in which all three keep each other in check than to have good people in offices because it is inevitable that someone with the wrong mindset or intention would take office. But if there is a strong, proper system in place, the country would still run fine regardless.

Good question.

Succession matters. Economic and political structures will help ensure sustainability as will orientation. The key here lies in incentivizing the system to ensure compliance.

A potent individual will realize that changing individual notions of what's cool will rid the system of what had seemed like perpetual noncompliance. Successive governments will strive to ensure policy consistency when they are made to see the good in it.

Also, the system of reward and punishment can be put in place to achieve this. There should be checks and balances. Institutions should be put in place to check the excesses of an incumbent. In he must deviate from a certain practice, cogent reasons must be offered as to why.

The penalty of deviating too much should be grave when the effects of deviation impact negatively.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery Completes The Installation Of All 18 Transformers (Photos) / Bill Gates Sr Is Dead. Microsoft Co-Founder, Bill Gates' Father Dies / Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.