Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,223 members, 7,807,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God (8730 Views)

Coronavirus: Winners Chapel Reacts To Criticism Of Service Held On Sunday 22nd / The Triune Nature Of GOD / Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:01am On Dec 06, 2016
Xenophanes was a Greek philosopher, theologian, poet, and social and religious critic who lived around 570–480 BCE . Xenophanes criticized the concept of the antromorphism of deities . He said

But if cattle and horses and lions had hands
or could paint with their hands and create works such as men do,
horses like horses and cattle like cattle
also would depict the gods' shapes and make their bodies
of such a sort as the form they themselves have.
Ethiopians say that their gods are snub–nosed and black
Thracians that they are pale and red-haired.

The gods have not, of course, revealed all things to mortals

from the beginning;
but rather, seeking in the course of time, they discover
what is better

Xenophanes could be trying to say that humans are independent of the gods with their intelligence, that discoveries in science and other areas are the result of human work and not divine favors . Xenophanes was clearly a deist .

"One god, greatest among gods and humans,
like mortals neither in form nor in thought."
"But mortals think that the gods are born
and have the mortals' own clothes and voice and form."

Here are five key concepts of Xenophanes' theology

1. God is: beyond human morality

2. God does not resemble human form

3. God cannot die or be born ie . God is divine thus eternal

4. No divine hierarchy exists

5. God does not intervene in human affairs.

Xenophanes espoused a belief that "God is one, supreme among gods and men, and not like mortals in body or in mind." He maintained there was one greatest God. God is one eternal being .... comprehending all things within himself, is the absolute mind and thought, therefore is intelligent, and moves all things, but bears no resemblance to human nature either in body or mind.

He said that "the greatest god" resembles man "neither in form nor in mind".

You should note that : Judaism rejects an anthropomorphic deity, believing that God is beyond human comprehension . Judaism holds that anthropomorphic characteristics of God in the Hebrew Bible such as the "Hand of God" are to be taken only as figures of speech. This was done to make God more comprehensible to the human reader. As God is inscrutable , beyond human understanding, and of course there are different ways of describing him. He is said to be both personal and impersonal, he has a relationship with his creation but is beyond all relationships . That's why I strongly believe that God always reveals Himself to man in ways we can comprehend .

Who still remembers my thread ? The Logic of God and Everything wink

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:06am On Dec 06, 2016
But Take a look at this :

-
-
-

Triune God of Christianity

Before considering if we will actually be able to see God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, we need to establish that they are three Persons. Without delving too deeply into the doctrine of the Trinity, we need to understand that the Father is not the same Person as the Son, the Son is not the same Person as the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is not the same Person as the Father. They are not three Gods. They are three distinct Persons, yet they are all the one God. Each has a will, can speak, can love, etc., and these are demonstrations of personhood. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are coeternal, coequal and co-powerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God.

God The Father : So in heaven, there are three Persons. But will we be able to actually see them? Revelation 4:3-6 gives us a description of heaven and the throne that is occupied by God and by the Lamb: “the one sitting there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian… a rainbow resembling an emerald encircled the throne. Before the throne… a sea of glass, clear as crystal.” Since God dwells in “unapproachable light” and is one “whom no one has seen or can see” (1 Timothy 6:16), God is described in terms of the reflected brilliance of precious stones. First Corinthians 2:9 says, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.” Because of God’s holiness, it may be that we will never be able to look upon His face, but again, this is speculation.

God The Son : Revelation 5:6 tells us that in heaven, the Lamb stands in the center of the throne and there are descriptions of Him clothed in brilliant white. Since the Lamb represents Christ Jesus, and we know that human eyes have beheld Him after His resurrection and glorification, it seems reasonable to conclude that in heaven, we will be able to look upon our Lord and Savior.

God The Holy Spirit : The Holy Spirit, by the very nature of His being, is able to move at will and take various forms. When Jesus was baptized, the Holy Spirit descended on Him in the form of a dove (Matthew 3:13-17). At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was accompanied by a loud rushing noise and was seen as tongues of fire (Acts 2:1-4). It may not be possible to see the Holy Spirit unless He chooses to manifest Himself in some form, but that is speculation.

Mere mortals do not have the ability to grasp the wonders of heaven—it is entirely beyond our comprehension. Whatever heaven is like, it will far exceed our wildest imaginings! All we know is that we will be worshiping our great God and full of wonder that He died to save sinners.

https://gotquestions.org/see-Trinity-heaven.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:58am On Dec 06, 2016
Remember Xenophanes existed many years before Christ , so the question is :

Why do you think Xenophanes criticized anthropomorphism ? Do you think he would have maintained his criticism of anthropomorphism if he understood the concept of a Triune God ?
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by alBHAGDADI: 12:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
The more you keep opening threads to prove atheists wrong, the more relevance you give them. Leave them alone so they can use their MB to browse through Linda ikeji.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:05pm On Dec 06, 2016
alBHAGDADI:
The more you keep opening threads to prove atheists wrong, the more relevance you give them. Leave them alone so they can use their MB to browse through Linda ikeji.

grin grin cheesy cheesy

lol . This is not for the atheists . Its for everybody .
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by alBHAGDADI: 12:10pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

grin grin cheesy cheesy

lol . This is not for the atheists . Its for everybody .
I understand bro. I just want you to reduce the way you engage them, because threads about atheism are now covering the religion section to the detriment of Christian teachings.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 1:14pm On Dec 06, 2016
Grabs a seat

Bubu, where the orijin na? undecided
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 1:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
alBHAGDADI:
I understand bro. I just want you to reduce the way you engage them, because threads about atheism are now covering the religion section to the detriment of Christian teachings.

Christianity has been around for hundreds of years but has been unable to provide real solutions to real human problems. And now many people in Nigeria are beginning to question dogma and the reason even Christians create more threads against/on atheism because religion has nothing new to teach us and it's "benefits" are imaginary at best

4 Likes

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:24pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:

Christianity has been around for hundreds of years but has been unable to provide real solutions to real human problems. And now many people in Nigeria are beginning to question dogma and the reason even Christians create more threads against/on atheism because religion has nothing new to teach us and it's "benefits" are imaginary at best

Does atheism have anything at all to teach

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:30pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:
Grabs a seat

I'm a Teetotaler bro tongue

I wanted you here since you have always ridiculed the anthropomorphic nature of God because you really don't understand why some aspects of human nature were ascribed to God . Well so now do you know why ?

Also compare Xenophanes' criticism of anthropomorphism in the first post and the description of the Triune God in the second post and tell me what you think .
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 1:33pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Does atheism has anything at all to teach

Both are actually age old ideas and are tied to the very fabric of human psychology.

However, one idea promotes blind faith and the other promotes research, rationality and reason

Can you name one single cure to any disease that has been discovered in the past 50 years as a result of principles in the bible?

2 Likes

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:33pm On Dec 06, 2016
Dalaman , I see you . Your views pls
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 1:36pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I'm a Teetotaler bro tongue

I am your guest. I don't care. So, if you sucked dick would you expect me to do the same? undecided

I wanted you here because you have always ridiculed anthropomorphic nature of God because you really don't under why some aspects of human nature was ascribed to God . Well so now do you know why .

Also compare Xenophanes' criticism of anthropomorphism in the first post and the description of the Triune God in the second post and tell me what you think

Wait. Let me read it first
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:37pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:

Both are actually age old ideas and are tied to the very fabric of human psychology.

However, one idea promotes blind faith and the other promotes research, rationality and reason

Can you name one single cure to any disease that has been discovered in the past 50 years as a result of principles in the bible?

If one idea supposedly a religion like Christianity promotes blind faith . Why have the most discoveries , the most inventions , the best scientific theories been propounded by Christians and not atheists
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

If one idea supposedly religion like Christianity promotes blind faith . Why has the most discoveries , the most inventions , the best scientific theories been propounded by Christians and not atheists

Answer the question first

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by dalaman: 1:55pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Dalaman , I see you . Your views pls

I don't have much to say here just observing.
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:02pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:

Answer the question first

The bible's teaching is based on morals , God's revelation of himself to man and the development of a personal relationship with God .

The bible lets man understand that man is created and is bestowed with the intelligence and has the thirst for knowledge ingrained in him by God.

So if by this , yes the bible have provided principles that has helped man in the past 50 years to make discoveries in every aspect of life .

Hosea 4:6 :My people perish for lack of knowledge - Because of this man pursued knowledge and the knowledge of diseases and pathogens has helped develope vaccines , drugs etc to fight against or get immune against these diseases .

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 2:12pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The bible's teaching is based on morals , God's revelation of himself to man and the development of a personal relationship with God .

The bible lets man understand that man is created and is bestowed with the intelligence and has the thirst for knowledge ingrained in him by God.

So if by this , yes the bible has provided principles that has helped man in the past 50 years to make discoveries in every aspect of life .

Hosea 4:6 :My people perish for lack of knowledge - Because of this man pursued knowledge and the knowledge of diseases and pathogens has helped developed vaccines , drugs etc to fight against or get immune against these diseases .

cheesy

Personal lunacy you mean

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:17pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:

Personal lunacy you mean

Haha

Ok bro . Back to the Op . Let's have a real discussion .
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Haha

Ok bro . Back to the Op . Let's have a real discussion .

The only thing your post proves is that god is a product of man's imagination. That I agree with smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:

The only thing your post proves is that god is a product of man's imagination. That I agree with smiley smiley

And 'there is no god' is not a product of man's imagination ? undecided

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 2:33pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

And 'there is no god' is not a product of man's imagination ? undecided

It is a product of lack of evidence of one

1 Like

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by jonbellion(m): 2:33pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:
Grabs a seat

aaah
You wan kill Ebuka
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:36pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:

It is a product of lack of evidence of one

This is an appeal to ignorance fallacy

Anyway nature has been seen as a cogent evidence for an Intelligent Designer . Read the OP carefully and grasp what is being said smiley

4 Likes

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:37pm On Dec 06, 2016
jonbellion:
aaah
You wan kill Ebuka

Alcoholism has been always been a wont atheists have .

2 Likes

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 2:38pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

This is an appeal to ignorance fallacy

Anyway nature has been seen as a cogent evidence for an Intelligent Designer . Read the OP carefully and grasp what is being said smiley

Wait first, let me get something straight.

By "nature" you also mean deaths, diseases, earthquakes, tsunamis and the disasters they have caused, right?
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by jonbellion(m): 2:46pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Alcoholismgeneralization has been always been a wont atheists have .of fundamental christians
fixed smiley

1 Like

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:46pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:

Wait first, let me get something straight.

By "nature" you also mean deaths, diseases, earthquakes, tsunamis and the disasters they have caused, right?

Death is a part of life . Earthquakes and Tsunamis make earth more habitable for advanced life while it also check population . Some diseases developed due to the threat of other diseases to make the life form immune to the more deadly disease E.g Sickle cell repels the threat from Malaria . Diseases also help to check population when it leads to death . And knowledge of diseases helps man understand nature more .

All these are integral parts of life . It makes life what it is . For those who believe in reincarnation , the souls of those victims including death by natural cause go back to God , only to incarnate as flesh and bone to continue to add their quota in the cycle of life .

God is one Great Designer .

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by hahn(m): 2:49pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Death is a part of life . Earthquakes and Tsunamis make earth more habitable for advanced life while it also check population . Some diseases developed due to the threat of other diseases to make the life form immune to the more deadly disease E.g Sickle cell repels the threat from Malaria . Diseases also help to check population .

All these are integral parts of life . It makes life what it is . For those who believe in reincarnation , the souls of those victims including death by natural cause go back to God , only to incarnate as flesh and bone and continue in the cycle of life .

Smh
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:51pm On Dec 06, 2016
hahn:

Smh

Can any atheist bring forth any worthy argument . Any

So let's go back to the OP

Why do you think Xenophanes criticized anthropomorphism ? Do you think he would have maintained his criticism of anthropomorphism if he understood the concept of a Triune God ?
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Death is a part of life . Earthquakes and Tsunamis make earth more habitable for advanced life while it also check population . Some diseases developed due to the threat of other diseases to make the life form immune to the more deadly disease E.g Sickle cell repels the threat from Malaria . Diseases also help to check population when it leads to death . And knowledge of diseases helps man understand nature more .

All these are integral parts of life . It makes life what it is . For those who believe in reincarnation , the souls of those victims including death by natural cause go back to God , only to incarnate as flesh and bone to continue to add their quota in the cycle of life .

My brother iji ya confirmed!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Can any atheist bring forth any worthy argument . Any

So let's go back to the OP

I dont think they quite understand the thread so would rather act like jonbellion.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? / Are You One Of Those That Flogged And Crucified Jesus Christ? / Dear Christians, Why Are Developed/educated Countries Leaving Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.