Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,323 members, 7,780,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:41 PM

Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) (10872 Views)

Saraki's Speech As Buhari Presents 2017 Budget / President Buhari Presents 2017 Budget To The National Assembly / Buhari Presents 2017 Budget To N’Assembly Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by anambraeyes: 3:17pm On Dec 06, 2016
Governor Willie Obiano today at the state house of assembly, presented the 2017 budget to the honourable lawmakers.

The budget which is estimated at N115.5bn, is expected to see the state spending N56.6bn on Recurrent Expenditure and N58.9bn on Capital Expenditure targeting a recurrent to capital expenditure ratio of 49:51.

Below is the full address by the governor.

Protocol
Your Excellency, the Deputy Governor,
The Right Honourable Speaker, Honourable Deputy Speaker,
Principal Officers of the House and other Honourable
Members of the Anambra State House of Assembly,
The Chief Judge of Anambra State,
The Secretary to the State Government,
The Chief of Staff,
The Head of Service,
Honourable Commissioners,
Special Advisers to the Governor,
The Clerk of the House,
Permanent Secretaries,
Traditional Rulers,
Members of the Press,
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen,

Good morning.
It is an honour to stand before this dignified Assembly today, to present to you my administration’s Draft Estimate and Roadmap for the 2017 Fiscal Year. However, before I proceed with the business of the day, I must not fail to express the profound gratitude of the Executive Arm of Government for your commendable partnership with us in the outgoing fiscal year. Madam Speaker and Honourable Lawmakers, permit me to observe that the great cooperation we have enjoyed together has been in the best interest of Anambra State and as we prepare to enter the next fiscal year, I hope that we shall all work hard enough to sustain it. Dalunu!

Madam Speaker and Honourable Lawmakers, the outgoing year 2016 may well be Nigeria’s worst nightmare in recent memory. There were challenges from all fronts. But to the Glory of Almighty God, Anambra State stood tall through it all. We have continued to honour our financial obligations and to keep our electoral promises to Ndi Anambra.

Madam Speaker and Honourable Lawmakers, the 2016 Budget presented a great opportunity to my administration to extract the inherent values and benefits of my Economic Blueprint in fulfilment of my promise to Ndi Anambra.

Indeed, I am truly delighted to report that even in the face of adversity, we remained firmly focused on the foundational philosophies of my administration. We stayed true to our Vision of making Anambra State the First Choice Investment Destination and a hub for industrialization and commercial activities. We also kept to our Mission of making Anambra State a socially stable, business-friendly environment that would attract both indigenes and foreigners to seek wealth-creating opportunities. Indeed, despite the severe economic environment of the outgoing year, we made a great deal of progress in reinventing Anambra State and opening her up to the world.

2016 FISCAL YEAR IN REVIEW
Madam Speaker, Honourable Lawmakers, for most Nigerians, only one word defines the outgoing fiscal year. That word is RECESSION! This is the economic reality that emerges when a country records two consecutive quarters of negative growth in her GDP in a given fiscal year. Indeed, fellow compatriots, this economic tragedy occurred during the first three quarters of the current year, hence, plunging our nation into its most difficult year in recent times. A Recession typically limits the ability of governments and private sector to realise set out objectives. To that extent, the contraction of the nation’s economy affected some of Nigeria’s best laid out plans. It also impacted our plans for Anambra State.

Indeed, the outgoing year is a year in which the worst fears of the nation manifested. The macro-economic environment that had looked bleak all along finally came off the hinges. The continuous assaults on oil installations in the Niger Delta eventually impacted negatively on our nation’s daily oil production combined with a southward slide in oil prices, thereby reducing revenues accruing to all tiers of government by over 60%!

The decrease in revenue brought about an acute shortage of dollars which greatly impacted the productive sector of our economy. The scarcity of foreign exchange combined with other negative indices in the economy forced many manufacturers, importers and other service providers out of business and led to a mass shutdown of factories and increased unemployment across the country.
Madam Speaker, Honourable Lawmakers, for the first time in living memory, Nigeria found herself in an extremely difficult situation as the Nigerian Army went to war on two fronts within Nigerian territory. The war with the terrorist group, Boko Haram and the war against militancy in the Niger Delta. These issues further exacerbated the economic challenges faced by Nigerians across the country.

The Anambra Response
Madam Speaker and Honourable Lawmakers, it is heart-warming to note that the economic and social whirlwind that swept through the country for the better part of this year did not affect the basic foundations of peace, security and even comfort that we have enjoyed in Anambra State in the past two and a half years. Nor did it derail our steady march to a prosperous and more forward looking Anambra State. What it did however is that it forced us to look inwards more often for solutions to our problems. It also forced us to re-evaluate our priorities and align government spending to projects that offer us maximum values with minimum investment; projects with a high socio-economic impact and projects that will secure the future of Anambra State. The bleak operating environment also made us hold on very tightly to our administrative maxim – “doing more with less” and ensure that whatever we do is a reflection of this philosophy.

Fellow compatriots, what stands out as our most proactive response to the Recession was the announcement of my Economic Stimulus Package in September earlier this year. Its sole objective was to cushion the impact of the economic meltdown and help our local economy weather the storm and regain its path to recovery.

My brothers and sisters, my administration is genuinely concerned about the plight of Ndi Anambra. We are worried about our hardworking industrialists who have thousands of our people working in their factories in Onitsha, Nnewi and other parts of the State. We are worried about the owners of small businesses and start-ups for whom this Recession has been the ultimate dream killer. We are worried about the low income earners – the wheelbarrow pushers, the cleaners in various offices and the petty traders selling bananas at Oye-Agu Market in Ifitedunu. Madam Speaker, we are worried about my good people of Anambra State.

In response to their plight we came up with an Economic Stimulus Package that seeks to make critical interventions in four broad areas, namely – the Tax Relief Programme, the Special Intervention Programme for Small and Medium Enterprises, the Social Intervention Programme for Low Income Households and finally the Intervention in Infrastructure-for-Jobs.
Madam Speaker and Honourable Lawmakers, in pursuit of this, we effected the following:
We suspended collections of wheelbarrow and hawkers taxes across all markets in the State.
We suspended the sale of consolidated emblems across the State.
We reduced taxes for Okada and Keke riders to N50 and N200, respectively.
We banned all illegal levies across all Government owned primary and secondary schools in the State.
We offered employment to over 250 physically challenged graduates into the State Civil Service.
Through our Partnership with United Nations Development Program, we trained and empowered 200 persons living with disabilities.
We provided low interest facilities totalling N1.5bn through Anambra State Small Business Agency to support Small-Medium Enterprises and Micro enterprises. We have also reached advanced stages in our quest for additional funding to scale up our efforts in this regard.
We catalysed domestic productivity and are creating jobs and stimulating our local economy across 181 communities in the State through our highly applauded N3.6bn Community-Choose-a-Project Programme.

In much the same way, Madam Speaker, we have also succeeded in drawing the attention of the Federal Government to the manufacturing sector in Anambra State. The recent visit by the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo is a significant step in the right direction. Fellow citizens, the Vice President’s visit was a response to a formal request that I made to the Presidency after holding fact-finding deliberations with the leaders of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industries, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA) in Anambra State. We continue to pursue the assurances given to us by the Vice President during his visit to ensure that our entrepreneurs have significant support from the Federal Government to engineer a realistic comeback for their businesses.
Madam Speaker, it is indeed, a thing of joy to me that despite the parlous state of the economy and the challenges caused by the current Recession, Anambra State has continued to honour all her financial obligations and pay salaries and pensions as and when due. I must confess that while this has not been an easy feat to achieve in a country where only 4 out of 36 states are able to cover their recurrent expenditure, my Team and I are determined to sustain this tradition against all odds. This feat has been achieved through prudent management of resources, pruning down our recurrent expenditure and increasing internally generated revenues, which have averaged at approximately 1.2bn monthly.

Fellow citizens, we maintained a firm handle on Security and Safety in Anambra State in the outgoing year. Indeed, there was no let up as a few attempts to breach our iron tight security failed woefully. A good case in point was the kidnap of a transporter in Onitsha which our men swiftly tracked to a hideout in Oji River, Enugu State and rescued the victim from the kidnappers den without firing a single gunshot. To the Glory of God, we have enjoyed a long, unbroken period of peace and tranquillity in this great state that has firmly positioned Anambra as the safest state in Nigeria today.

In spite of the current economic challenges, Anambra continues to retain its position as one of Nigeria’s most investment friendly state evidenced by over 29 companies and $4.5bn attracted since the onset of my administration. However, during the 2016 fiscal year, Anambra State Investment Promotion & Protection Agency (ANSIPPA) attracted over $494m across numerous sectors, such as Real Estate, Entertainment, Transportation, Agriculture and Power. About 10 companies have commenced operational activities in the State. Investors such as Coscharis Farms in Anaku, Joseph Agro Farms in Ufuma, Lynden Poultry Farms in Igbariam, Global Gaming Company in Awka, etc are at various stages of their business cycle in Anambra.

Click on source below to continue reading

Source: http://www.anambrablog.ng/2016/12/gov-obiano-presents-2017-budget.html

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by NoDelay(f): 3:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
Impressive
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Mynd44: 3:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 3:52pm On Dec 06, 2016
N164 Billion in 2014

N115 Billion in 2017

Typical salary only budget.

While other states are generating more money and posting higher budgets, Anambra is sliding backward and getting poorer...

Shows why Obingo only signs MOU everyday and commissions ZERO projects..

smh....

2 Likes

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Godprotectigbo2(f): 4:36pm On Dec 06, 2016
VERY SMALL Y

even ebonyi state budget is 125B

ANYWAY I TRUST Anambra people .....each person in anambra do the work of a government ...so any how is good

is only in anambra that u will see a budget of 100b but u get develepment of 800b

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by robay1(m): 4:39pm On Dec 06, 2016
Lol cheesy MoU signer..... cheesy cheesy grin grin

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Godprotectigbo2(f): 5:33pm On Dec 06, 2016
robay1:
Lol cheesy MoU signer..... cheesy cheesy grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin ur southwestes cannot pay common salary...who is now useless

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by robay1(m): 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
Godprotectigbo2:

grin grin grin grin grin ur southwestes cannot pay common salary...who is now useless
if I insult u now,dem go ban me again,so get out of my mention undecided
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Fremancipation: 6:04pm On Dec 06, 2016
Development doesn't come from the government. It only comes from the people. The government job is to create enabling environment and that's what obiano has been doing since day 1.

For those pegging their development on government budget. Be ready to wait till eternity.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Godprotectigbo2(f): 6:08pm On Dec 06, 2016
robay1:
if I insult u now,dem go ban me again,so get out of my mention undecided

grin grin grin grin grin i can't tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by robay1(m): 6:37pm On Dec 06, 2016
Godprotectigbo2:

grin grin grin grin grin i can't tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by capip120(m): 7:15pm On Dec 06, 2016
aresa:
N164 Billion in 2014

N115 Billion in 2017

While other states are generating more money and posting higher budgets, Anambra is sliding backward and getting poorer...

smh....

Onukwu bu Onukwu. There is no two ways about that.
The earlier we tell ourselves the truth the better. You think the government in Anambra is like other government where inflation of figures and budget padding is the order of the day.
If Anambra spend too much you go complain, if they spend low you go still complain. You hypocrisy on this forum reeks to hell dude. Get a life and get well soon cause the hatred you have for Anambra state is inherently evidenced in most of your posts here.

10 Likes

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2016
[s]
capip120:

Onukwu bu Onukwu. There is no two ways about that.
The earlier we tell ourselves the truth the better. You think the government in Anambra is like other government where inflation of figures and budget padding is the order of the day.
If Anambra spend too much you go complain, if they spend low you go still complain. You hypocrisy on this forum reeks to hell dude. Get a life and get well soon cause the hatred you have for Anambra state is inherently evidenced in most of your posts here.
[/s]

Learn to keep quiet or shut your mouth if you have nothing intelligent, sane and rational to talk about....

1 Like

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by dplordx(m): 7:46pm On Dec 06, 2016
Niggee is proly saving for re-election. Obaino job come next year is plainly to win a second term. If he wins, then my Ibo bro will truly see whether this man is a real leader of another 419.
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 06, 2016
aresa:
[s][/s]

Learn to keep quiet or shut your mouth if you have nothing intelligent, sane and rational to talk about....
In 2014 there was no recession because our good President Gej wass in power but in 2017 the Father of Recessionist has come to the throne so Anambra needs to work with the prevailing economic climate

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 06, 2016
aresa:
N164 Billion in 2014

N115 Billion in 2017

smh....

I'm waiting to see Osun budget of Arestoration we will know if Osun will have anything more than a budget of 10billion naira because their monthly allocation is 50million naira and that's for NEPA bill

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Appliedmaths(m): 8:16pm On Dec 06, 2016
Implementation...
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 8:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kathmandu:
In 2014 there was no recession because our good President Gej wass in power but in 2017 the Father of Recessionist has come to the throne so Anambra needs to work with the prevailing economic climate

1. There is zero difference between past and present budgets in terms of development since the figures are just figures that has nothing to do with realities on the ground and in fact the actual budget based on funds at hand is always far far less.

2. There is also zero difference between past and present budgets in terms of delivered infrastructures and the fact that Anambra is incapable of delivering infrastructures like they have been unable to do shows that the state is poor and can not function beyond paying salary that's not even up to the required N18,000 minimum wage.

3. Regardless who is in power and what the budget was and is today, it makes no difference because it's the same anambra that is sliding backwards financially since the impression many of you create on NL everyday is that Anambra is rich which we all know is false..
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 06, 2016
aresa:

1. Th[s]ere is zero difference between past and present budgets in terms of development since the figures are just figures that has nothing to do with realities on the ground and in fact the actual budget based on funds at hand is always far far less.

2. There is also zero difference between past and present budgets in terms of delivered infrastructures and the fact that Anambra is incapable of delivering infrastructures like they have been unable to do shows that the state is poor and can not function beyond paying salary that's not even up to the required N18,000 minimum wage.

3. Regardless who is in power and what the budget was and is today, it makes no difference because it's the same anambra that is sliding backwards financially since the impression many of you create on NL everyday is that Anambra is rich which we all know is false[/s] lipsrsealed..
Trash as usual. Onitsha Town only is richer than Osun

It's an aberration for an Osun craftsman talk about Anambra issue

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Call07034780891: 8:35pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kathmandu:
Trash as usual. Onitsha only is richer than entire Osun state

This is below the belt. Aresa when are you going to show us Osun budget? I know it may not be more than 30k! cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 8:35pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kathmandu:
Trash as usual. Onitsha Town only is richer than Osun

Anambra is richer than Osun, but Osun posts larger budgets than all the states in SE, Osun commissions projects everyday and even more than the whole of SE, Osun is paying full N18,000 salary while Anambra can not afford to pay full 18k minimum wage salary.

Can you show us what they commissioned in Anambra lately.... don't bother because I know you can not apart from MOU..

And keep quiet with your poor and pathetic ignorant nonsense..
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Call07034780891: 8:38pm On Dec 06, 2016
You are such a shameless nitwit. Does osun know what is salary? cheesy

The same rural area called osun state where all its citizens are being fed at IDP! cheesy

Abeg swerve this nuisance cool

[s]
aresa:

Anambra is richer than Osun, but Osun posts larger budgets than all the states in SE, Osun commissions projects everyday and even more than the whole of SE, Osun is paying full N18,000 salary while Anambra can not afford to pay full 18k minimum wage salary.
Can you show us what they commissioned in Anambra lately.... don't bother because I know you can not apart from MOU..
[/s]

13 Likes

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 8:53pm On Dec 06, 2016
[s]
Call07034780891:
You are such a shameless nitwit. Does osun know what is salary? cheesy

The same rural area called osun state where all its citizens are being fed at IDP! cheesy

Abeg swerve this nuisance cool

[/s]

Not interested in your ignorant babble..

I asked you to show us what they commissioned in Anambra lately and even since 1999...
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Call07034780891: 8:57pm On Dec 06, 2016
I am rather not interested in your gibberish. Tell us why osun state is still rural till now... cheesy

[s]
aresa:

Not interested in your ignorant babble..
I asked you to show us what they commissioned in Anambra lately and even since 1999...
[/s]

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 9:28pm On Dec 06, 2016
[s]
Call07034780891:
I am rather not interested in your gibberish. Tell us why osun state is still rural till now... cheesy

[/s]

Meaning you have nothing and can not show us anything they commissioned lately in Anambra which we know already since their budget is too poor to do anything...

Thanks for proving me right....Feel free to get lost now...
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Yyeske(m): 9:30pm On Dec 06, 2016
Call07034780891:

This is below the belt. Aresa when are you going to show us Osun budget? I know it may not be more 30k! cheesy
No, that of Osun will be close to 200 billion because the governor with borrow as usual to pad the budget, play with numbers and of course nothing on ground to show for it. With enough debts owned the civil servants

Just watch out and see

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 9:32pm On Dec 06, 2016
Osun State Is Paying Full 18,000 Wage, But Anambra Can Not Pay Full 18,000 Wage.

https://www.nairaland.com/3353731/osun-state-paying-full-18000

We've already debated and trashed your Anambra rubbish....

How Osun state alone trashed the whole of SE projects after projects....
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 9:34pm On Dec 06, 2016
Yyeske:
No, that of Osun will be close to 200 billion because the governor with borrow as usual to pad the budget, play with numbers and of course nothing on ground to show for it. With enough debts owned the civil servants

Just watch out and see

Osun borrowed and commissioned projects everyday.

Anambra borrowed and have zero projects to show...

See the foolery and idiocy behind your senseless post?

Losers...

1 Like

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by kettykin: 9:35pm On Dec 06, 2016
aresa:

Osun post padded unrealistic budgets

10 Likes

Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by aresa: 9:37pm On Dec 06, 2016
[s]
kettykin:

Osun post padded unrealistic budgets
[/s]

Osun pad budgets and commissions projects everyday

Anambra did not pad budget and still can not commission anything?

See how foolish you sound...
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by phemmyutd(m): 9:39pm On Dec 06, 2016
Call07034780891:

[s][/s]

Bros, you should be able to answer that simple question na.

Okay let me help you small, Remember Ugwu project na
Re: Gov Obiano Of Anambra State Presents 2017 Budget, Estimated At N115.5bn (pic) by Yyeske(m): 9:39pm On Dec 06, 2016
aresa:

Osun borrowed and commissioned projects everyday.

Anambra borrowed and have zero projects to show...

See the foolery and idiocy behind our senseless post?

Losers...
What projects? Just tell Aregbe to improve on the welfare of his people by settling arrears of workers next year, tell him also to stop borrowing and equally padding the budget. He projects huge budget but his workers are dying of hunger

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

FG Increases Saraki's Charges From 16 To 18, Case Adjourned To February 23 / Most Governors Spend Days In Abuja While Their States Are In Flames - Shehu Sani / Man Tattoos Coat Of Arms On His Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.