Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,197 members, 7,780,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:44 PM

Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? (967 Views)

Dr. Bukola Bello: Mum Who Went Back To School After 4 Kids, Graduates With A PhD / Oyetola Muyiwa Atoyebi Is Youngest SAN In Nigeria At 34 Years (Photo) / Lady Who Survived A Car Crash That Killed Her Entire Family, Bags PhD At 27 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? by AjalaJ(m): 9:50am On Dec 07, 2016
This “age doesn’t matter” stuff is nonsense. No, 34 is by no means too old, but you’re going to be 40 when you’re done (roughly), having lost 5–6 years of prime earning. Oh, and the personal cost; there’s always a personal cost. You are now 40 and Dr. Question Asker! Congrats. If you’re in the sciences and want a treasured position at a research university, you’ll spend the next 4–10 years as a postdoc. In some fields, like computer science, the opportunities are high, but that’s not most fields. It’s not completely unreasonable to start as an associate professor in, say, biology, at the age of 50, but then you have six years to prove yourself (tougher at some places than others) and warrant tenure. But you’re awesome and tenure is granted. Great! Now you’re 57 (the tenure evaluation process alone takes a year), so you have maybe a decade before you start to think about retiring. And that’s not the worst-case scenario. The odds are not far from 1:2 that you’ll finish. Most people leave of their own accord, but often after completing 2+ years of coursework and 1+ years of research and deciding they don’t like research and can’t do it anymore. And while things could go better, there’s no guarantee of tenure at a research university (single digit percentages of PhDs get tenure-track jobs at research universities and get tenure).

You could potentially go to a teaching school. I think I will be forever grateful that I did. If all works out, I might have tenure and still be in my 40s. I don’t make a ton, but I’m also nowhere near poverty.

If you’re in the humanities… well, you’ll go back to whatever you were doing before the PhD, or possibly try to eke out a living as an adjunct.

Am I discouraging you from going? No! Well, sorta… I did not get good advice. Most people don’t. I don’t per se regret my decision and I love my career, but I wish I had known more. I wish the system treated people better. And I’m thankful I’m in computing, where jobs are plentiful. I know some people who make good livings helping fellow PhDs find jobs/careers outside of academia, and trust me, these people are earning their keep.

Make sure you have long talks with people who’ve been through the process, didn’t start within 5 years of undergrad, and are in your discipline. This needs to include people who didn’t finish, or else you’ll have selection bias (you’ll only get one side). There are plentiful discussion boards to find people and info. Make the decision, but make the decision from an informed perspective. If this is right for you, it can be wonderful (and horrible, sometimes).

If you are 50 and starting a PhD full-time with the intent of changing careers? I can’t say that I think that’s a good idea. So go forth and decide within the next decade.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-too-late-to-start-a-PhD-at-34

Neteller here: www..com.ng

1 Like

Re: Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? by joycesims(f): 10:09am On Dec 07, 2016
cool useful information op!
Re: Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? by Adeyemi0(m): 12:51pm On Dec 07, 2016
I have to read all through again to have the glimpsy of what OP is trying to disseminate..
It is better to explore idea variables before arriving at any decisive decision in order to avoid despair..
Thank you OP.
Re: Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? by khristal87(m): 1:34pm On Dec 07, 2016
Its nt too late, evidence of ph.d registration cn fetch u a lecturing job..ur ph.d research cn fetch u international scholarship if its in a promising area....Gud luck....am also hoping to apply veri soon
Re: Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? by babyfaceafrica: 4:56pm On Dec 07, 2016
We are talking of education and someone is talking of age?...nansense!!...even at 50 ,you can start PHD
Re: Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? by deltateam: 3:41am On Dec 08, 2016
Just when I thought I had seen the last of such topics.

Op there's no age limit to educationm Even if you are 70 years and want to do your PHD you are permitted.
34 is good too atleast you get to enjoy it. Are you in the academic line? Make due enquiries about the school so you finish latest in 3years.

(1) (Reply)

2017/2018 Jamb / JAMB Registration Date Extended / Vices Among Children, Who Are To Blame? The Parents Or The Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.