Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,760 members, 7,798,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Character Design/Animation Challenge - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Character Design/Animation Challenge (12641 Views)

How To Draw And Paint Comic Style Character Easy. / I need laptop recommendation to buy For Graphic Design & Animation / Solidworks 2D/3D Design/Animation/Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 7:47am On Dec 17, 2016
lol..hmm,now that you mentioned it i might be modelling him(kratos) next cus of his beard (talking about the new kratos),would love to try out my new hair particle skills on him.......#goes-shoppin-for-kratos-ref-pix#
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 17, 2016
My new model

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:48am On Dec 17, 2016
Princealex1:
lol..hmm,now that you mentioned it i might be modelling him(kratos) next cus of his beard (talking about the new kratos),would love to try out my new hair particle skills on him.......#goes-shoppin-for-kratos-ref-pix#
the ref pix I got online is blurry.....can u share yours when u get it, please
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 17, 2016
muscle muscle evrry where...the gods must be awake
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 1:57pm On Dec 17, 2016
kazuna:
muscle muscle evrry where...the gods must be awake

with those muscles , those are not just awake....they r also alert and on guard
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2016
tirigbosa:

the ref pix I got online is blurry.....can u share yours when u get it, please

copy that
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 17, 2016
ok i want to do some exaggerated muscle..i want to bulk him up further

Phcn seems to be at war with My area. Thats the reason for my slowness

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:12pm On Dec 17, 2016
hi guys
back to work. the deadline is a few days away.

@kazuna
looking real good and natural.
still loving the definite african feel to him.
i swear that guy lives on my street...lol

ok, so the next shots show the process of modelling the shoulder protectors

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:13pm On Dec 17, 2016
i basically extrude faces along paths, then use a lattice to modify the shape to curve around the shoulders.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:19pm On Dec 17, 2016
to break the monotony of the task, i began laying the uvs for the main torso.

i needed some contrast in the materials, so i could see when something was interpenetrating.
it wasn't a planned step, i kinda got carried away and started applying some materials.

anyways, using curves i lofted some geometry for the raffia on his legs, and applied an .iff image with transparency for the raffia material

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:22pm On Dec 17, 2016
started on his waist belt.

by making the torso a live object, i can trace a curve along its surface.
i then extrude geometry along the path to get the belt.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:23pm On Dec 17, 2016
i modeled and placed the armour protecting his em.... vital parts.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:28pm On Dec 17, 2016
i created the chain for his waist by modifying some torus primitives.
i then trace a curve around his waist by making the torso a live object.

i then attached the chain to the curve as a motion path, then deleted the path animation and history, to get the chain along the path in the position i wanted following his waist contours.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:30pm On Dec 17, 2016
and this is what i have so far.
next, is to work on a huge sword or axe and shield, and that's about it.

i am open to ideas or suggestions on improving his appearance, or outfit.
i am thinking of giving him a couple of large tattoos on his chest and arm regions.

1 Like

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:52pm On Dec 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2MVrsDt8c4&feature=youtu.be

my back aches and my eyes hurt....will finish on monday
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 11:46pm On Dec 17, 2016
OKX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2MVrsDt8c4&feature=youtu.be

my back aches and my eyes hurt....will finish on monday
bros weldone o.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 18, 2016
okx, how did u go about the textures?
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 12:23am On Dec 19, 2016
@kazuna, will post a how-to tomorrow....but the basic steps i did were,

1. do a planar uv mapping from the front plane (z axis for me)
2. cut the uvs at the hidden seams on the model
3. pin some key uvs that i wanted as anchors
4. unfold the uvs
5. tweak the unfolded uvs
6. save a snapshot of the uv map
7. upload the uv map to an image editing software, i used Photoshop
8. employing a combination of painting,photographs, and various textures (pulled off the net) as layers with different blend modes in Photoshop, i created materials for the model and his armour.

that's it basically.
i didn't save snapshots of all my steps, but i will repeat the process and post screen grabs

the model images i posted above are renders of two passes, the beauty pass and an ambient occlusion pass composited in Photoshop using mental ray, with physical sky and sun activated.

1 Like

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Iyke123: 5:48pm On Dec 19, 2016
Bravo, you guys rock, men I think I need to sit down and be mentored by one of you, would have love to join the challenge but electricity is presently my best friend.
Following trend
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Iyke123: 6:45pm On Dec 19, 2016
I have a little request and I hope am not going off trend, I would request we create a bbm channel or Whatsapp group. At least we can start from there to create. Community of Nigerian CG artist.

Am still a novice o and the only human model have created is the one I learnt with, I use 3D max but I hope to learn maya later. I sincerely wish to participant in this challenge as it will still brush me up. Below is d only model have done

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 9:53pm On Dec 19, 2016
@iyke
good start! you should have seen my first model, looking back now, it was terrible...lol!

truth is, we are all learning...we are just at different stages of the same journey, that's why i find it disturbing when we artists allow our egos get in the way of true exchange of knowledge. that's also why most of those bbm/whatsapp groups don't work out, but i am always available to interact with all artists interested in synergy.

ok, back to the project...
i didn't save the shots the first time i laid out the uvs, so i went back to an earlier saved file and redid the uv layout process so i could showcase the process.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 9:56pm On Dec 19, 2016
so i do a planar mapping from the front just to get a good startoff point for the uvs.

ofcourse the uvs overlap at this stage, so i proceed to cut the uvs along various seams, at points where it wont be obvious.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2016
creating cuts for the head

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:00pm On Dec 19, 2016
unfolding the uvs for the head, after creating the seams

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2016
repeated the same process for the ear, then using the 'move and sew uvs' command i positioned the uv for the ears in place to ease the painting/ texturing process

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:56pm On Dec 19, 2016
took a snapshot of the uvs and exported to Photoshop for painting the textures.

repeated the process for all the other body parts, and then assembled the uvs for texturing in Photoshop.

i took various pictures of my body parts (pictures also exist online), and using various tools in Photoshop (mainly the puppet warp tool), i distorted the photos to match the uv layout, and filled the background with a matching skin color.

that's it. i repeated the same process for the armour pieces.

next is the sword/axe and shield

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:57pm On Dec 19, 2016
so after watching that tutorial, I decided to start modelling Ogun. I drew out the head.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 11:00pm On Dec 19, 2016
so, after pushing and pulling vertices, edges and faces for hours. I have my first head model, I didn't model the ear cause I know the helmet is coming or maybe I should just say the truth, I don't know how to go about the ear....its so sweet to see me doing this.....so happy

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 11:03pm On Dec 19, 2016
@kaz, okx and prince Charles....thanks for sharing ur stuffs. seems the head is good. me I sha like it like that. first head is sweet. I will also give him muscles tomorrow. and I have named him OGUN.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 11:27pm On Dec 19, 2016
@tirigbosa
that is truly awesome stuff. great progress!
if that is your first head, make sure to archive it, to benchmark ur progress.

please be sure to continue and complete the exercise, its truly an impressive start.
a quick tip on modeling ears, is simply extrude faces from the side of the head and tweak the shape.

good job bro
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:48am On Dec 20, 2016
thanks okx, I will surely finish Ogun no matter how ugly it turns to be.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 20, 2016
tirigbosa:
@kaz, okx and prince Charles....thanks for sharing ur stuffs. seems the head is good. me I sha like it like that. first head is sweet. I will also give him muscles tomorrow. and I have named him OGUN.

ur first head like this??....u are a future beast.

Unleash the Kraken. u have it in you...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Professional Logo Designer: The Best On Nairaland. Period! / U, Me and Our Work of Art - All form of ARTS are WELCOME! / Graphic Designers How Long Do You Take To Complete A Project?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.