Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,066 members, 7,807,197 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Ex-beauty Queen, Ibinabo, Escapes Jail As Court Dimisses Application - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ex-beauty Queen, Ibinabo, Escapes Jail As Court Dimisses Application (886 Views)

Ex Beauty Queen, Anna Ebiere Shows Off Her Super Trim Post Baby Bod / Ex Beauty Queen Munachi Abii Wears Her 21 Year Old Boyfriends Shirt To Workout. / ~Ex-Beauty Queen Adaeze Igwe looks Like Rihanna . . .~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-beauty Queen, Ibinabo, Escapes Jail As Court Dimisses Application by selingel: 12:42am On Nov 12, 2009
Ex-beauty queen, Ibinabo, escapes jail as court dimisses application
National NewsNov 12, 2009
By Innocent Anaba

LAGOS — Former beauty queen and actress, Ibinabo Fiberesima, narrowly escaped being sent to jail by trial judge in the matter, Justice Deborah Oluwayemi of a Lagos High Court, which yesterday momentarily revoked her (Ibinabo) bail and ordered that she be remanded in Kirikiri Prison, Lagos.
Shocked Ibinabo, dressed in a black skirt suit, broke down and wept repeatedly, saying ‘sorry ma’. She was joined by her counsel, who pleaded for mercy.
The judge, however, reversed her order following plea by other lawyers present in the court, who urged her to temper justice with mercy.
Most of the lawyers pleaded with the judge, urging her not to send her (Ibinabo) back to prison custody. The court also dismissed Ibinabo’s application, seeking leave of the court to travel abroad to attend the forthcoming Miss Earth 2009 Pageant, describing the application as frivolous, vexatious and abuse of court process.

Ibinabo was sentenced to five years imprisonment for dangerous and reckless driving causing the death of one Dr. Giwa Suraj but sought leave of the court to travel abroad to attend the forthcoming Miss Earth 2009 Pageant, which will be held in Manila, Philippines.
Ruling on the application to travel abroad, Justice Oluwayemi said: “I hereby revoke the bail granted to the applicant and she should be taken to Kirikiri until I am satisfied that the appeal is pursued diligently. I am flabbergasted that this application is brought before me. It is unfortunate that you brought yourself before me without thinking.

“How can I grant leave to a convict to travel? How can a convicted person represent Nigeria in Miss Earth contest? A convict is not an accused person, the discretion of the court cannot be exercised in favour of a convict,” the court held.
Justice Oluwayemi maintained that justice was not only for the applicant but also for the deceased.
“Justice is not only for the applicant, it should be for both parties and for the children of the deceased who are abroad and can no longer pay school fees due to the death of their late father. If I grant the application, she (Ibinabo) may not come back because the family has instituted a N200 million suit against her,” the judge said.

“It will not be in the interest of justice and the society to grant a convict leave to travel out. There was no letter from the Ministry of Internal Affairs for her to represent Nigeria simply because as a convict she cannot represent Nigeria any longer even if she had done that in the past,” the court said.
The court further observed that Ibinabo was not remorseful, adding that during the last two hearings of her application, she rushed out of the court without any regard. “I had thought the applicant will sit down and be sober but from her comportment, she is not sober at all,” the court said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/11/12/ex-beauty-queen-ibinabo-escapes-jail-as-court-dimisses-application/
Re: Ex-beauty Queen, Ibinabo, Escapes Jail As Court Dimisses Application by chosen04(f): 11:19am On Nov 12, 2009
Ibinabo deserves to spent the nxt 5yrs in kirikiri maximum. She has not shown an atom of remorse since this man-slaughter charge was brought against. Look at her applying to represent Nigeria in "MISS MAN-SLAUGHTER CONTEST" indeed.

If am member of the family of the man she killed i will make sure i send her to the "land of no return"
Re: Ex-beauty Queen, Ibinabo, Escapes Jail As Court Dimisses Application by floriana(m): 3:57pm On Nov 13, 2009
Nigerian celebrities sure dont know the meaning of being a convict. ibinabo wants to go for beauty peagent when somebody is lying six foot under. Stupid girl. I love the Judge though.
Re: Ex-beauty Queen, Ibinabo, Escapes Jail As Court Dimisses Application by whitesturd(f): 4:53pm On Nov 13, 2009
Dont mind the stupid bitch after cutting short the life of the poor innocent man,she wants to enjoy life.i dont even think she feels remorse over wot she has done.May the ghost of the poor man forever taunt her.unrepentant fool.
Re: Ex-beauty Queen, Ibinabo, Escapes Jail As Court Dimisses Application by semid(m): 12:00am On Nov 14, 2009
Very foolish woman! She cut short the life of a consumate professional (a consultant surgeon), a father, a husband,breadwinner of a whole family by driving drunk and she wants to travel abroad to attend a third rate beauty contest? Incredible!!!
Na thunder go fire her.
Re: Ex-beauty Queen, Ibinabo, Escapes Jail As Court Dimisses Application by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 14, 2009
Dont mind the useless Ibinabo, she deserves to be locked up, very useless girl

(1) (Reply)

2face Want To Meet U,join Him On Facebook For Fun: U Can Win Fan Of The Week / Wyclef Jean To Teach At Ivy League University / Do You Wish To Be A Model?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.