Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,577 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 (3540 Views)

My Hands On Experience With The TECNO Spark 3 & 3 Pro / Unboxing My New Blackberry Keyone / Blackberry Aurora Spec : First Blackberry Phone With Dual SIM Slot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by emmanuel45(m): 5:37pm On Dec 07, 2016
I’ve been using the Sony Xperia Z5 compact and iPhone 6s as my daily drivers until Nov 26, when a client of mine offered me a good price for my Sony Xperia Z5 compact, l told him am not ready to sell, but he insisted, we don't av in stock, I would have sold for him from stock. On the night of November 30, I received a bank credit alert, next to that was a call from him that he just transfer an amount to me that it's for my phone and that he will be coming to my store the next day to pick it up, I felt bad and insisted that, i will return the money to him when he comes around. On 1st of December, new goods arrived to store, on checking it I found BlackBerry DTEK50, I was so excited cos as a blackberry loyalist, av been waiting for it since I sold my BlackBerry Classic due to whatsapp saga. I did not waste time to remove my sim from the sony and insert it to the blackberry, did backup and restore then called the guy myself to come pick up the Sony.
Now am glad am back to blackberry, so gud to have the hub back.
The phone runs Android 6.0 with some of BlackBerry newer software features, such as BlackBerry Hub and Android Pay. Holding world's most secure Android smartphone brings in some into pride to me, though BlackBerry wanted to keep costs down on the DTEK50, so the finger scanner didn't make the cut, but it feels like a missed opportunity to hammer home the security aspect of this phone. BlackBerry DTEK50 is impressively thin and light, which is no surprise considering the plastic and glass construction. It measures 147x73x7.4mm and weighs 135g, and is described as the thinnest BlackBerry ever.
The textured rear feels good to hold. It covers almost the entire back of the handset, bar tiny slithers at the extremities that house the speakers. There are dual front and rear speakers, and the DTEK50 doesn't blast the sound everywhere thanks to the phone's orientation sensors.
Button placement could take some getting used to as the BlackBerry DTEK50 reverses just about everything any seasoned Android user might expect. The power button is on the left side, while the right has a volume rocker and a programmable 'Convenience Button'. The Convenience Button is largely superfluous. BlackBerry has done such a decent job elsewhere of making the phone super accessible/discoverable that we feel the placement would be better suited to something like a fingerprint scanner.
The phone is smooth on operation, browsing is so fast on it (thanks to blackberry encryption) even comparing the speed with my iPhone 6s Safari.. The battery life is okay, in which i don't have to always charge, stays bit longer than my iPhone 6s. The camera also is superb, Blackberry really staged a come back on this.
It's been awesome experience using the phone so far.. No regret!

Specifications
Display: 5.2in Full HD 1,920x1,080 424ppi
Processor: Snapdragon 617
Operating system: Android 6.0.1
Storage: 16GB (Expandable)
Memory: 3GB RAM
Cameras: Rear 13MP, dual-LED flash, 8MP front-facing
Dimensions: 147x72.5x7.4mm
Weight: 135g

In case you wanna join the league, holla me let's make blackberry fly again.

http://smartphoneshome..com.ng/

2 Likes

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by westkays(m): 6:42pm On Dec 07, 2016
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 07, 2016
How much is the phone? It doesn't have that premium feel. Looks tecno and co ish

5 Likes

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by chicwoman(f): 9:07pm On Dec 07, 2016
stupidity:
How much is the phone? It doesn't have that premium feel. Looks tecno and co ish
Haba now, tecno is a good brand.
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Youngpo413: 10:04pm On Dec 07, 2016
Alcatel
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by wiliz(m): 10:58pm On Dec 07, 2016
how much?
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by johnstar(m): 12:35am On Dec 08, 2016
Dm try

1 Like

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by emmanuel45(m): 8:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
wiliz:
how much?
#125k
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by NCP: 10:06pm On Dec 08, 2016
Alcatel rebranded as BB.

3 Likes

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Nairobii: 9:48am On Dec 11, 2016
Hi bro, I need a blackberry DTEK50. Kindly send me ur contact
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by emmanuel45(m): 9:52am On Dec 11, 2016
Nairobii:
Hi bro, I need a blackberry DTEK50. Kindly send me ur contact
Smart Phones Home, Unity Plaza, 12b Otigba Street, Computer village, Ikeja Lagos or contact BOLEM on 08030644431(whatspp), 08092471348 or 55683A4F/BOLEM4U(BBpin), C001B42AA(ChannelPin).
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Opistorincos(m): 4:00pm On Dec 11, 2016
@op can I use your pictures for review on my tech blog
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Opistorincos(m): 11:26am On Dec 12, 2016
Opistorincos:
@op can I use your pictures for review on my tech blog

@emmanuel45, I'm still waiting for a reply
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by 2kurupt(m): 6:25pm On Dec 12, 2016
Well, judging from your pics I'll say the design looks average, nothing spectacular. Funny you used this to replace the Z5. That said & with the above spec sheet I see this as a downgrade (no offence)

For 125k one can get more power & features if you consider Huawei P9 lite, Samsung J5 or A3 etc and a whole range of choices if one considers the top Chinese brands i.e. Lenovo, Xiaomi, ZTE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by flowjoe: 6:50pm On Dec 12, 2016
emmanuel45:

#125k

thats on d high side shocked
used to be a blackberry loyalist or still am *thinking* take pics wit d camera & upload coz dats one of d weak points of b.b (poor camera)
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by NCP: 7:07pm On Dec 12, 2016
The DTEK50 is a rebranded Alcatel Idol 4 .

Externally, the DTEK50 is identical to the Idol 4, save fora custom back panel with BlackBerry branding.

Everything else is pure Alcatel from the front-facing speaker design to the offset USB port on the bottom. The display is 5.2-inches and 1080p. Inside, the specs are the same too.

That means you're looking at a Snapdragon 617, 3GB of RAM, 16GB of storage with microSD card, and a 2610mAh battery.
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by NCP: 7:20pm On Dec 12, 2016
So it seems like BlackBerry is using TCL (Alcatel OneTouch's parent company) as its hardware partner for this device.

Check:

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7897&idPhone2=8229
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by ewizard1: 1:24pm On Dec 13, 2016
Power button on the left and volume rockers on the right?
#doa
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Harpesin(m): 4:13pm On Dec 13, 2016
I have one for sale at the moment, never open it at all, any interested person can contact me .......07030119932......going for 110k non negotiable........reason for selling is that i have iphone 5 and microsoft am using already before company give me this new Dtec. Serious Buyer only.

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by fashrola(m): 7:18pm On Dec 13, 2016
Harpesin:
I have one for sale at the moment, never open it at all, any interested person can contact me .......07030119932......going for 110k non negotiable........reason for selling is that i have iphone 5 and microsoft am using already before company give me this new Dtec. Serious Buyer only.

No offence bro... Why do u wanna sell a company property? Or is it an outright gift?
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Harpesin(m): 10:55pm On Dec 13, 2016
Outright gift for xmas nio not company property.

fashrola:

No offence bro... Why do u wanna sell a company property? Or is it an outright gift?
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by kenono(m): 8:22am On Dec 14, 2016
many of you talking here have not seen the phone, I operated it yesterday and trust me, it's an absolute beauty, I see many people going for this phone soonest.

1 Like

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by piperson(m): 8:40am On Dec 14, 2016
this phone is a beast of no nation

melikey
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by emmanuel45(m): 1:18pm On Dec 16, 2016
Blackberry Really did well on this.. no way u will operate it and wont fall in love with it... in case u interested in getting one, contact 08030644431
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by kennyhydee(m): 2:04pm On Dec 16, 2016
emmanuel45:
Blackberry Really did well on this.. no way u will operate it and wont fall in love with it... in case u interested in getting one, contact 08030644431
The fact that u traded an Xperia Z5 Compact for this still baffles me, it's like trading a Ferrari for a Nissan!! Just my opinion tho, u must truly b a BB loyalist, just like me, I can trade an iPhone 7pro for d HTC10!!

EDIT: If u have d z5 compact in stock, how much izzit?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by mrdrizzy(m): 3:30pm On Dec 16, 2016
stupidity:
how do u know a premium feel just by looking at it??

Go have a feel of it den come back nd type this

1 Like

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by 2kurupt(m): 5:53am On Dec 18, 2016
mrdrizzy:
how do u know a premium feel just by looking at it??

Go have a feel of it den come back nd type this

Aside it having a fluid operation on the os like someone mentioned (which is expected from any brand new Android phone that's not yet loaded with apps & media), what else can you really say pertaining to it feeling premium?

The design is bland & genetic with an obvious plastic back finish, therefore it's certainly not got that premium feel admit it.
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 18, 2016
stupidity:

This phone was made by Alcatel who now own blackberry. U can see the dtek50 is just the photocopy of Alcatel idol 4 in design.

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by samsard(m): 8:21am On Dec 18, 2016
BlackBerry / Alcatel shot their selves in the foot. A 2016 smartphone this expensive without a fingerprint scanner. *spits on phone*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by emmanuel45(m): 12:01pm On Dec 18, 2016
greenhulk:

This phone was made by Alcatel who now own blackberry. U can see the dtek50 is just the photocopy of Alcatel idol 4 in design.

Blackberry is not own by Alcatel, it sign her hardware unit to TCL who happens to also be in partner with Alcatel, dat was y dtek50 n idol 4 gat d same design, Blackberry is still officially in charge of software.
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by emmanuel45(m): 12:04pm On Dec 18, 2016
Try and get a hand-on it before u conclude... Blackberry will definitely impress u on dis.
samsard:
BlackBerry / Alcatel shot their selves in the foot. A 2016 smartphone this expensive without a fingerprint scanner. *spits on phone*
Re: My Hand-on Experience With Blackberry DTEK50 by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2016
emmanuel45:

Blackberry is not own by Alcatel, it sign her hardware unit to TCL who happens to also be in partner with Alcatel, dat was y dtek50 n idol 4 gat d same design, Blackberry is still officially in charge of software.

Yea, I know blackberry is still in charge of its software, but hardware and sales of products are now handled by TCL.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Happens When You Block Someone On Whatsapp? / 2go Not Working On Htc F5151 / Samsung S6 & Apple 6s For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.