Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,796 members, 7,806,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? (20397 Views)

What Is Wrong With Feminism / My Argument Against Feminism / Personal Thoughts On Feminism As A Nigerian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by ScarletOverkill(f): 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Remember that societal construct for genders was developed over the centuries according to the natural characteristics and differences between men and women arising from biological differences.

So let me ask this, what's wrong in the idea of different but equal? Why do some women derive their self-worth in trying to do what men are naturally poised to do? Let me reverse the situation, in the spirit of gender equality men should start attempting childbirth, taking that role from women and doing things that women naturally do better than men, what do you think the society will become?

The process of child-birth is not a societal construct. It's an actual "natural characteristic" as opposed to most gender-related "differences". Men can never bear children. If they could,though, I'd ask them to go for it cheesy

Explain what you mean by "naturally poised to do".
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by bigfrancis21: 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2016
ScarletOverkill:

The process of child-birth is not a societal construct. It's an actual "natural characteristic" as opposed to most gender-related "differences". Men can never bear children. If they could,though, I'd ask them to go for it cheesy

Explain what you mean by "naturally poised to do".

Naturally excelling at things their extra testosterone levels give them the advantage at. For example in sports, science, technology, innovation, leadership positions etc. Not saying women can't do these things, they can but their numbers are very small compared to men in these fields.

Just as men can't give birth, women cannot impregnate or initiate pregnancies. The male germ is still required to initiate the 9-month process. That's the very basic differences between men and women. Trying to act that the only difference between men and women is just organ differences is beating the point. It goes way beyond that up to hormonal levels. Women naturally have more estrogen levels than men and that's because it is required for perfect functioning of her reproductive organs and pregnancy. A woman's period will stop if she loses too much fat or her testosterone levels gets too high. On the other hand, a man with high estrogen levels develops bigger/sagging breasts, more fat, has less libido etc. More of testosterone or estrogen accounts for the differences in the individual who has them, which makes one individual better at doing this than the other.

My point still remains that men and women, are equal at societal level and should have the same rights at doing things but each gender is better at doing certain things than the other. Trying to ignore the obvious is clearly acting like you don't exist in this world.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by ScarletOverkill(f): 10:39pm On Dec 18, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Naturally excelling at things their extra testosterone levels give them the advantage at. For example in sports, science, technology, innovation, leadership positions etc. Not saying women can't do these things, they can but their numbers are very small compared to men in these fields.

Just as men can't give birth, women cannot impregnate or initiate pregnancies. The male germ is still required to initiate the 9-month process. That's the very basic differences between men and women. Trying to act that the only difference between men and women is just organ differences is beating the point. It goes way beyond that up to hormonal levels. Women naturally have more estrogen levels than men and that's because it is required for perfect functioning of her reproductive organs and pregnancy. A woman's period will stop if she loses too much fat or her testosterone levels gets too high. On the other hand, a man with high estrogen levels develops bigger/sagging breasts, more fat, has less libido etc. More of testosterone or estrogen accounts for the differences in the individual who has them, which makes one individual better at doing this than the other.

My point still remains that men and women, are equal at societal level and should have the same rights at doing things but each gender is better at doing certain things than the other. Trying to ignore the obvious is clearly acting like you don't exist in this world.

Testosterone is linked to innovative skills? Science and technology? shocked Interesting.

I honestly don't have the time, or the energy, or the slightest inclination, to argue online on gender, so I'm going to swallow all the points I wanted to pick from your post and just ask you: list the things each gender does better than the other naturally.

Also, your second paragraph grin the hell was that for? Me? Where did I ever say that the male sperm is not needed? Or that I missed biology classes in secondary school? I completely understand differences in reproductive organs and hormones, but I don't see how they affect us on a societal or economic level. As you stated, men and women are equal at a societal level and that's the end of the matter for me.

Still, I want to know these thing men do better than women and vice versa.
I think I saw nurturing as a feminine trait somewhere on this thread. I guess I'm not female then grin
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Sagamite(m): 3:07pm On Jan 01, 2017
solbil:
can't believe people are still argueing this issue when the greatest authorities on the feminism issue, Sagamite and Craziebone as well as Timbuktou hasve given their verdict on the issue.

Can this debate stop already!

Your head is on point!

Don't let me start on these mostly irritating cretins called feminists. angry

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by mctowel01: 7:01pm On Mar 22, 2017
kazyhm:

Women and Cats Will Do As They Please.
Men and Dogs Should Relax And Get Used To The Idea.

Women are complicated and self obfuscated entity
most times I only listen to them and do what's on my mind because they are gonna dislike what they suggested and love exactly what I did.
Goodness .. like you know what I ve always haf in the back of my mind. Any guy who doesn't believe and follow this principle will make a lot of bad decisions cos of a woman, who won't share in the responsibility with him when things go South.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by mctowel01: 8:06pm On Mar 22, 2017
AngelsAndStars:

raising all humans same way is just too risky. emotions are bad and it's good the men don't have it much because of we did it'll be disastrous trust me.
So true... In a football match, despite the rising emotions, which beauties and gives life to the game, the refree and stewards, devoid of emotions, must hold control of the game, otherwise, there will be chaos.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by mctowel01: 8:50pm On Mar 22, 2017
ItsQuinn:
That reminds me.....What can you say about the situation the Nigerian women footballers are facing now? The men are being paid while the women work their butt off to be at the top and didn't get paid or earn anything because they are females cry
This is super dumb... i had to quote this. Do you know how much revenue is generated in male soccer compared to female soccer? It is over a ten times different. How do you expect both to be paid equally? Your analogy was very dull?
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by kazyhm(m): 10:03pm On Mar 22, 2017
mctowel01:

Goodness .. like you know what I ve always haf in the back of my mind. Any guy who doesn't believe and follow this principle will make a lot of bad decisions cos of a woman, who won't share in the responsibility with him when things go South.

You nailed it right there

The truth is; you will never satisfy women....even if you do exactly what she said she want.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by ewa26: 1:12am On Jun 22, 2017
wandy nem bunmadee ok

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Shocking Village That Eat Human Meat **pictures** / Why Do Nigerians Think White People Are Ugly? / We, Not Ajimobi Govt, Suspended Your Salary – Ibadan High Chiefs Tell Olubadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.