Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Possible Air Pollution In Port Harcourt - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Possible Air Pollution In Port Harcourt (1157 Views)

Solution To Permanently End Plastic Pollution / Air Pollution: Nigeria Ranks 4th Deadliest In The World / Pictures Of Air Pollution From Nembe Waterside Port Harcourt Seen This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Possible Air Pollution In Port Harcourt by 9JAgosurvive: 9:29am On Dec 08, 2016
Over a few weeks residents in most parts of Port Harcourt are noticing black like substance under their feets, this is from a possible carbon dust cloud settling on floors, car parked outside etc. Although most people don't get to notice it in the air but you see tell tale signs when it settles and you walk on it especially with moist feet. I personally experience it and many people complain the same thing that they see the bottom of their feet getting black and they kept sweeping and mopping their floor assuming it's caused by their, generators, cookers or stoves.

However over the last few days and from complaints on social media, especially Facebook and Twitter, most people are realizing it's a city wide phenomenon and this could possibly be from pollutants since it's happening at this scale.

Although the local authorities are yet to say anything about it, on Twitter residents are pushing for the authorities - local, state or federal to urgently look into this and advice residents appropriate.

As is usual with social media people already speculating it's from the petrochemical companies and some say it's coming from illegal refineries though I have asked that people refrain from making speculations but rather draw attention to it so the authorities or experts look into this and advice - so any claim that's it's from the petrochemical plants or illegal refineries are not verified, however one thing is sure, theirs a soot, clog around some parts of Port Harcourt.

A precautionary warning message is being shared on Twitter to draw people attention to this - otherwise most people just still assume that's it's from their own generator or stove.

While Rivers is in high gear for rerun election, it's important that the authorities still give this some thought and look into it, it might be nothing to worry about but at same time it might pose grave health risk.

Please if you live in Port Harcourt and noticed this, kindly leave your comment below, so I can tally responses, I am doing similar stats on social media and everyone so far seems to be experiencing this soot. This is not trying to be an alarmist, but just to ensure we don't take things like these for granted cause as a people too often we do, until it's way too late.

Dear NL I would appreciate if this can be posted where it's most viewed. Thanks

Re: Possible Air Pollution In Port Harcourt by afanide: 10:05am On Dec 08, 2016
Re: Possible Air Pollution In Port Harcourt by afanide: 10:06am On Dec 08, 2016
These people come here and pollute our land which they can't do in their countries just because we have no laws here......

Blame the Government
Re: Possible Air Pollution In Port Harcourt by Amhappy(f): 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2016
I have noticed this and truly I thought it was from my stove. I mopped today and the water is so black.

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus:Bill Gates Says Vaccine Could Be Ready For Large-scale Trial By June / List Of 10 Yoruba Herbs That Cures Erectile Dysfunction / Fuel Your Day With Kunu Drink

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.