Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

The "Brothers" Of Jesus - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The "Brothers" Of Jesus (712 Views)

Be Free From Masturbation In The Name Of Jesus Christ. / Opinion: Brothers Of Jesus (Picture) / "Statue Of Jesus In Anambra Drops Water Miraculously"(Photos Shared On Facebook) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "Brothers" Of Jesus by FMary(m): 12:01pm On Dec 10, 2016
Why do Catholics teach that Mary was a virgin throughout her life when the Bible clearly says that Jesus had brothers? Ever been asked that?

Read Also: 5 Protestant Reformers Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity

[url]http://www.francismary.org/5-protestants-who-surprisingly-defended-marys-perpetual-virginity/
[/url]
Let me offer four reasons:

1. The Meaning of Brother

The first thing to understand is that the term brother (Gk. adelphos) has a broader meaning than uterine brothers. It can mean a biological brother, but it can also mean an extended relative, or even a spiritual brother.

Take Genesis 13:8 for example. Here the word brother is being used to describe the relationship between Abraham and Lot, who were not biological brothers but uncle and nephew:

“So Abram said to Lot, “Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers" (Gen 13:8, NIV; see also 14:12).

Because of the Bible’s broad semantic range of “brother," we can rest assured that although St. Paul writes, “[Jesus] appeared to more than five hundred…brothers at the same time" (1 Cor. 15:6), we need not infer from this verse that Mary gave birth to more than 500 children!

2. Children of Mary?

These “brothers" are never once called the children of Mary, although Jesus himself is (John 2:1; Acts 1:14).

3. Other Women Named Mary

James and Joseph (also called Joses), who are called Jesus’ “brothers" (Mark 6:3) are indeed the children of Mary—Just not Mary, the mother of Jesus.

After St. Matthew’s account of the crucifixion and death of Jesus, he writes:

“There were also many women there, looking on from afar, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him; among who were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee." (Matt. 27:56; see also Mark 15:40).

4. Consensus of the Early Church

The earliest explanation of the “brothers" of the Lord is found in a document known as the Protoevangelium of James, which was written around A.D. 150. It speaks of Mary as a consecrated virgin since her youth, and of St. Joseph as an elderly widower with children who was chosen to be Mary’s spouse for the purposes of guarding and protecting her while respecting her vow of virginity. Though this document is not on the level of Sacred Scripture, it was written very early, and it may contain accurate historical traditions.

Allow me to limit myself to three quotes from the early Church:

Athanasius of Alexandria

“Therefore let those who deny that the Son is from the Father by nature and proper to his essence deny also that he took true human flesh of Mary Ever-Virgin [Four Discourses Against the Arians 2:70 (c. A.D. 360)].

St. Jerome

“You say that Mary did not continue a virgin: I claim still more that Joseph himself, on account of Mary was a virgin, so that from a virgin wedlock a virgin son was born [Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary 21 (A.D. 383)].

Pope St. Leo I

“The origin is different but the nature alike: not by intercourse with man but by the power of God was it brought about: for a Virgin conceived, a Virgin bore, and a Virgin she remained [Sermons 22:2 (A.D. 450)].

Thus the same Church today affirm:

Jesus is Mary’s only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: “The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother’s love (Catechism of the Catholic Church 501).

Read Also: 5 Protestant Reformers Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity

http://www.francismary.org/5-protestants-who-surprisingly-defended-marys-perpetual-virginity/
Re: The "Brothers" Of Jesus by Scholar8200(m): 12:08pm On Dec 10, 2016
Mary had other biological children after Jesus.

19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. James 1:19

Also corroborated by:
Then His mother and His brothers arrived, and standing outside they sent word to Him and called for Him.Mark 3:31

1 Like

Re: The "Brothers" Of Jesus by Tallesty1(m): 12:15pm On Dec 10, 2016
The entire concept of the perpetual virginity of Mary is completely unbiblical. I honestly don't know where idea came from and it is pathetic that even the educated Christians have bought this lie.

Here is what bible says in Matthew 1:25.
And he knew her not TILL she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

What the above verse is saying is that Joseph did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus

The first and last emboldened are clear proves that they had sex after she gave birth to Jesus.

Matthew 13:55-56 makes it even clearer.

I quote

"Is He not the carpenter's son? Is not his mother named Mary and his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas? Are not His sisters all with us?"

Only the brainwashed believe that she died a virgin or that she had no child for Joseph.

1 Like

Re: The "Brothers" Of Jesus by DeLioncourt: 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
The entire concept of the perpetual virginity of Mary is completely unbiblical. I honestly don't know where idea came from and it is pathetic that even the educated Christians have bought this lie.

Here is what bible says in Matthew 1:25.

What the above verse is saying is that Joseph did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus

The first and last emboldened are clear proves that they had sex after she gave birth to Jesus.

Matthew 13:55-56 makes it even clearer.

I quote

Only the brainwashed believe that she died a virgin or that she had no child for Joseph.

You believe in a god that allows his creations to suffer...isn't that delusional?
Re: The "Brothers" Of Jesus by Tallesty1(m): 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

You believe in a god that allows his creations to suffer...isn't that delusional?
The created chose their path and whatever they get in the end is what they deserve.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "Brothers" Of Jesus by DeLioncourt: 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
The created chose their path and whatever they get in the end is what they deserve.

The politicians embezzling the nations funds chose their path...and yet they enjoy.
The woman selling akara that goes to church and preaches the word still sells akara and cries everyday cos she can't send her only child to school.
The religious wife who prays and beseechs the lord for a child after 15 years of marriage is still helpless..

And you tell me they get what they deserve??
Y'all are def delusional.
Re: The "Brothers" Of Jesus by Tallesty1(m): 12:43pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

The politicians embezzling the nations funds chose their path...and yet they enjoy.
The woman selling akara that goes to church and preaches the word still sells akara and cries everyday cos she can't send her only child to school.
The religious wife who prays and beseechs the lord for a child after 15 years of marriage is still helpless..

If you think that the politicians that embezzle money enjoy life more than an average Christian family then you need to have enjoyment redefined for you...

If you think that a because a woman goes to church and preaches she's a Christian then you're not worthy of the time I am giving you...

1 Like

Re: The "Brothers" Of Jesus by Certitude(m): 1:11pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

The topic is bout the brothers of Jesus

(1) (Reply)

Who sells or supplies Communion Wafer/bread? / Question For Christians About Next Noahs Ark / Prophecy For 2017 From Celica Church Of Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.