Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,131 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat (484 Views)

Photos From The Swearing In Ceremony Of Adama Barrow As Gambian President / Adama Barrow Sworn In As The Gambian President / Yahya Jammeh Rejects Election Result After Conceding Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 10, 2016
Gambian President, Yahya Jammeh, who lost to his opponent, Adams Barrow, in the presidential election held earlier this month has now refused to accept the result, claiming there were 'abnormalities' in the votes.

Jammeh, who has been the leader of The Gambia for 22 years after a successful coup in 1994, surprised everyone last week when he called the President-elect to wish him well.

"You are the elected president of The Gambia, and I wish you all the best. I have no ill will.” He said at the time.

However, just hours ago, Jammeh backtracked and is asking for a fresh election. In his words;
“After a thorough investigation, I have decided to reject the outcome of the recent election. I lament serious and unacceptable abnormalities which have reportedly transpired during the electoral process. I recommend fresh and transparent elections which will be officiated by a God-fearing and independent electoral commission.”
President-elect, Adams Barrow, is reportedly safe and Barrow’s spokesperson said the head of the army had pledged his allegiance to Barrow after the initial result. However, because of Jammeh's reputation as a ruthless leader, there is tension amongst citizens of the nation who have been celebrating the result of the election.

Foreign nations have condemned Jammeh’s action, calling it an attempt to subvert the will of the Gambian people.

http://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2016/12/gambian-president-rejects-election.html

Re: Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat by herzern(m): 12:56pm On Dec 10, 2016
The Victorious Party in the just concluded election didn't play their cards very well.

After He conceded defeat,Then You went to the press and state it clearly without misappropriation of words that The Sitting President will qo to jail..

Who does that??

I'm not tryinq to make a case for the President tho..

It's just loqical thinkinq.

If yhu want somethinq from a Monkey..Yhu act like one.

Iam4Atiku...how far with our packaqe nah?? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 10, 2016
Power is sweet.An African mentality
Re: Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat by donsteady(m): 1:07pm On Dec 10, 2016
What kind of nonsense is this? Someone should remind him of what happened in Ivorycost
Re: Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat by mars123(m): 1:11pm On Dec 10, 2016
bloodshed over peace is how they roll.
Re: Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat by landinfo: 2:30pm On Dec 10, 2016
That increases the oil of heroism on GEJ the more......
Re: Gambian President Rejects Election Result Days After Conceding Defeat by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 10, 2016
herzern:
The Victorious Party in the just concluded election didn't play their cards very well.

After He conceded defeat,Then You went to the press and state it clearly without misappropriation of words that The Sitting President will qo to jail..

Who does that??

I'm not tryinq to make a case for the President tho..

It's just loqical thinkinq.

If yhu want somethinq from a Monkey..Yhu act like one.

Iam4Atiku...how far with our packaqe nah?? grin grin

Our will surely come. Let's get a clearer coast.
This time is just for mind games. When the real time comes, we won't hesitate to do the needful.

(1) (Reply)

Donald Trump’s Inaugural Speech / Trumped Praised For His Warnings / Sadiq Khan's Anti Trump Attitude Gets Destroyed By Queen Elizabeth,Media Shocked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.