Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! (26852 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Famous Quotes By Ojukwu / History Lesson 2: Gideon Orkar Broadcast Message-unedited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by RichyBlacK(m): 11:07am On Nov 15, 2009
olafolarin:

I am inspired and at the same time disappointed.
Disappointed because despite the overwheming knowledge from the civil war,we seem not to have learnt anything from it.Ojukwu was hell-bent on the war despite glaring evidences which shows that he doesnt have enough resources/logistics to embark on or sustain the war.Today,ojukwu is being hailed in some quarters as a tribal leader.Despite embarking on a war that shouldnt have been waged in the first place.The war that took his people generations backwards.Recently,he threatened to declare another civil war if the Appeal Court judgement goes Any Uba's way.Here is someone whose crage and thirst for "uncertain war" lead to the massacre and "almost genocide" of his kindred.ALL BECAUSE OF RESOURCE CONTROL.The tsunami effect of the war helped in heightening tribal tensions in Nigeria till today.So many facts were distorted and a particular section of the country still feel"neglected" since the war ended.

Awolowo might be right on war predictions and ways of ending it,but did he exhaust all resources in his reach to ensure that war victims attain their pre-war status?

How come most states in the North-with neither a single oil block nor high population -enjoys much more financial ambience that Lagos,Edo or Anambra state.

We should encourage discussions and discourse that will increase our love and affections for each other instead of making people like oJUKWU and its like a hero in Nigeria's politics and polity.

@olafolarin,

Thanks for your post.

However, based on this your comment "Ojukwu was hell-bent on the war", it seems that you're either fuzzy about the events that led to the war or have deliberately ignored them in a spirited bid to portray the Ikemba in a bad light.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 11:15am On Nov 15, 2009
However, based on this your comment "Ojukwu was hell-bent on the war", it seems that you're either fuzzy about the events that led to the war or have deliberately ignored them in a spirited bid to portray the Ikemba in a bad light.

you have to agree with them as well as hero worship ojukwu without thinking critically like a zombie b4 they respect ur opinions grin
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by RichyBlacK(m): 11:24am On Nov 15, 2009
SEFAGO:

you have to agree with them as well as hero worship ojukwu without thinking critically like a zombie b4 they respect your opinions grin

Biko, hemavestite leave me alone. Stop replying to my posts. Stop stalking me. I'm not interested in you! Me like tasty East-African women. Go look for some shemales or sumtin'. grin
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SapeleGuy: 11:55am On Nov 15, 2009
Genocide is genocide, looking for a dictionary or Geneva convention definition is very pointless, It is reminiscent of Bill Clinton's ambivalence (the numbers had not reached genocide levels) during the Rwandan episode.

It amazes me to this day that with all the intellectuals available, nobody has been able to compile a case/evidence to take to the International Criminal Courts. Going to the ICC is a practical example of doing something positive.

Relying on internet rabble rousing for something as serious as this  is doing the victims of this genocide a massive disservice, you are 'killing them twice' as you have done nothing to avenge their deaths or honour.

It will be fair to say that those indicted will come from both sides. Many of the war criminals are still alive, go after them today, strong in the knowledge that you are doing the right thing.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Dede1(m): 11:56am On Nov 15, 2009
@SAFEGO

It is very disheartening to read the craps you post on this forum. Thank goodness that Africa in general and Nigeria in particular have scholars that are more intellectually endowed to speak on the issues of human nature than an imbecilic slowpoke such as you.

The level of idiocy you have displayed on the forum calls for redemption as well as a measure of self control. If I had to say that you are a domesticated dimwit, such a statement would have tantamount to understatement. I could have suggested that you embark on a little academic research but this would be akin to sending a vulture to a barber shop.

In fact this whole exercise of debating with a deluded homo-sapiens such as you amounts to waste of Internet bandwidth. I should have known better when you failed colossally to even identify your sexual makeup why registering your avatar on this board talk less of understanding the intrigues surrounding the word; race. Any scientist that does not know that the universe is filled with one race, thus human, is a slowpoke. By the way, it is an irrepressible idiocy for anybody to attempt to classify human beings based on the hue of their skins. I am of the view that scientists are well set at home dwelling on species rather than race.

You are a dirty Osaka swine that leaves off the pieces of newspaper clips that do not worth a cent more than the conjectural craps contained within. Based on your posts on the forum, there is no doubt you are a certified lazy slowpoke that has regarded the Internet Wikipedia as your ultimate source of enlightenment. Please you have done enough intellectual damage to the people of your stock on the issue of genocide alone and I beg of you not to further grind it to mud by tangling with military parlance.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by olafolarin(m): 11:58am On Nov 15, 2009
RichyBlacK:

@olafolarin,

Thanks for your post.

I read and watched the war documentary,did some courses(though introductory) on nigerian politics as a 9ja undergraduate(over a decade ago) and read some other war write-ups from different people.(Both on Biafra side and Fed Govt side)
From the little i know,the war would have been averted if Ojukwu believed in Nigeria's unity as a single whole country.
The price paid by the Nigerian nation for the war far outweighs the justifications for the war.

We should extol "Out of many,we are one" virtues that will bring us together.

The tribal divide is however being bridged in politics where some governers go beyond their tribe to appoint assistants and commissioners.

A good example is Ben Akabueze,former NAL Bank MD,is now the commissioner for Budget and Planning in Lagos state.He oversees the budget of the most populace State in sub-saharan Africa.

Kano until recently is known for its religious and ethnic violence but Alhaji Ahmed Shekarau-Kano state governor,appointed Chris Azuka and Adebayo Adeniyi as Special Advisers on Inter-Comm Relations.

Dr Chris Ngige-a former governor -is also contesting the Anambra guber on the platform of AC-which is termed a "Yoruba Party"in some quarters.

Other states and individuals should embrace such to bridge tribal and ethnic divide.

SEFAGO:

god bless your wisdom, and increase it tenfolds

grin smiley wink
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SapeleGuy: 12:15pm On Nov 15, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Biko, hemavestite leave me alone. Stop replying to my posts. Stop stalking me. I'm not interested in you! Me like tasty East-African women. Go look for some shemales or sumtin'. grin

Your behaviour is not proper. Let us be tough on the topic and not the individual, you can still invalidate their arguments with reason rather than relying on insults and personal attacks. Try not to bear grudges.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 12:33pm On Nov 15, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Genocide is genocide, looking for a dictionary or Geneva convention definition is very pointless, It is reminiscent of Bill Clinton's ambivalence (the numbers had not reached genocide levels) during the Rwandan episode.

It amazes me to this day that with all the intellectuals available, nobody has been able to compile a case/evidence to take to the International Criminal Courts. Going to the ICC is a practical example of doing something positive.

Relying on internet rabble rousing for something as serious as this  is doing the victims of this genocide a massive disservice, you are 'killing them twice' as you have done nothing to avenge their deaths or honour.

It will be fair to say that those indicted will come from both sides. Many of the war criminals are still alive, go after them today, strong in the knowledge that you are doing the right thing.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. What I have found is that certain people rely on the Internet for rable rousing as you call it. If certain people feel so strongly about the events in the 1960s, then they should do something productive about it instead of fanning flames of tribal hatred. But my view is that it is only cowards that will hide behind an anonymous forum such as the Internet to drum up support for an imaginary cause. I also subscribe to the notion that a majority of hausa/fulani people do not use the Internet; so why peddle hate against them on a forum that they do not use. If you want their attention, you should know where to go.

Instead of posting the information here from your bases outside Nigeria, why not relocate back to Nigeria and set up an organisation that will serve as a launchpad for your objective. All you seem to be achieving is receiving pats from fellow 'biafrans' who obviously agree with you. For those that disagree with your views, you resort to petty name-calling and insults which I find quite childish. Trading insults with anonymous people on an anonymous forum is not only pointless but it smcks of intellectual bereavement. But I suspect that you will neither relocate to Nigeria nor form an organisation to achieve your objectives; instead you will continue to post on anonymous forums, engage in back-patting with fellow cyber warriors, and insult those who do not share your views.

I am addressing the OP, other individuals like him who continue to use the Internet for a call-to-arms and the moderator RichyBlack, who does not even know what it means to moderate. The moderator not only permits a certain level of uncouthness being displayed by certain people but he sometimes resorts to insulting posters with opposing views. He also turns the eye to tribal bashing.

Replying with insults will not only be non-productive (as I will simply ignore) but it will also prove my point.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 12:35pm On Nov 15, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Your behaviour is not proper. Let us be tough on the topic and not the individual, you can still invalidate their arguments with reason rather than relying on insults and personal attacks. Try not to bear grudges.

To think that he is the moderator. I have said it before and I will say it again, the moderator does not know what it means to be a moderator. You should either step up your game or consider your position as the moderator of this section.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SapeleGuy: 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2009
Duduknight - The behaviour of some in this section is a metaphor for politics in Nigeria. A triumph for the style of agberoism  and noise making over the substance of progress.
For me, the proper thing to do will be to pursue an ICC case and resolve to indict those who orchestrated the war crimes regardless of what side they belong.
One thing is for certain, no side will have a monopoly on morality.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by WilyWily: 1:05pm On Nov 15, 2009
No nice to support injustice
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SapeleGuy: 1:31pm On Nov 15, 2009
WilyWily:

No nice to support injustice

You are right, this is why the ICC is the correct place to overcome this injustice.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by airzzee(m): 1:45pm On Nov 15, 2009
Kill the Igbo people! Kill them! BUT I ASSURE YOU, THEY WILL NOT DIE. THEY WILL LIVE TO SURMOUNT ALL INJUSTICES. AND ONE DAY, JUST LIKE MARTIN LUTHER KING'S ", ONE DAY, MY FOUR LITTLE CHILDREN WILL BE JUDGED NOT BY THE COLOURS OF THEIR SKIN BUT BY THE CONTENT OF THEIR CHARACTER, " THE TRUTH SHALL PREVAIL.

After Pharoah ordered the killing of innocent children to get at the people of Israel, after Herod commissioned his soldiers to slaughter all children born to the hebrews when he heard about Christ's birth, WHAT HAPPENED NEXT? You cannot kill destiny!

"He who forgets the History, loses one eye."
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by nduchucks: 1:47pm On Nov 15, 2009
I repost the following questions, because their answers could help the healing process and result to looking inwards. So far only 1 poster has attempted to answer them, and the answers were provided along with insults that typify the characteristics of people whose primary motivator is not fact, history lesson, or education, but hate mongering.

If my guess is correct, not a single one of those posters who are quick to call people with differing views, Idiots, Fools, Stupid, e.t.c.,  will attempt to answer the questions. I believe they have not seriously examined their own history and are primarily filled with hate. They are toothless seccessionists that still think they will secede, and Biafra will be actualized.

I know there are other fine intellectuals of the Igbo extraction that can provide some answers to these questions:

(1)Could  Biafra have survived to this day?

(2)Where did the Biafran war of  survival go wrong?

(3)Did Ojukwu fight for Biafrans or for his personal interests?

(4)Is there any way that the Biafran secession could have been  avoided?

(5)What role did the eastern minorities play in the Biafran struggle?

(6)Who actually killed Nzeogwu, Nigerian federal forces or a group of envious Biafrans?

(7)Did Biafran and Nigerian federal forces swap foods, women, and ammunition?

(coolWhat should be done to the living Biafran war criminals?  (war criminals exist in every war)

(9)Where did the Biafran war leave the people of Eastern Nigeria? Is there any way out of it?

(10)To what extent did the Biafran army use chemical weapons in strategic battles?

(11)How effective were the Biafran-made weapons of mass destruction (Ogbunigwe and Flying Ogbunigwe) and self-guided  surface-to-air missiles?

(12)What deal did Cameroon and Nigeria make to facilitate Biafra's defeat

(13)What deal did China and Biafra make and why did it fail to materialize?

(14)Did Biafrans destroy the Nigerian 2nd Div. by sheer chance or by some form of advanced warheads developed in secrecy?

(15)How and why did Biafran soldiers kill fellow Biafran  soldiers?

(16)The lost children of Biafra (who are they and where are they now?

(17)What do you think were the effects of cold-war and pre-colonial policies on the state of Biafra

(18)Biafran women of war: what was their role in the execution of the war and other activities?

(19)What was the alliance between Biafra and Israel: the big deal between them?

(20)What were Biafra's internal sociopoli- tical problems and their effects?

(21)The Biafran "Boys Company", were Ojukwu and his commanders justified in using them for intelligence gathering and other war engagements? Did the Boys Company help the cause of the war?

If the hate mongers answer these questions honestly, they will see that their hate filled  posts are self defeating.  I don't expect the haters to respond because many of them are cowards - so reading the questions and answering them in their minds is actually good enough.

These hate mongers keep talking about Genocide, but they continue to conveniently ignore the genocide the Igbos perpetrated against minority groups in the old Eastern region. This is the kind of intellectual dishonesty and superiority complex that you find in white racists. Even the dumbest white racist assumes that he is smarter than all black folks, unaware that there are black folks with superior intelligence. But just because he is white, he assumes that he is more intelligent than all blacks.

This is what many Igbos posters on this thread are doing; it is called prejudice, bias and bigotry.  These people will hide behind the internet and yap that they are brain surgeons, professors, and the like. Who gives a rats ass?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by WilyWily: 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2009
SapeleGuy:

You are right, this is why the ICC is the correct place to overcome this injustice.
Lets keep denying.
Must ICC tell you before you agree your wrong.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 2:26pm On Nov 15, 2009
ndu_chucks, thanks for your numerous questions.

I think as SapeleGuy has said, it might be better to reffer this matter to the International Court. The reason being that we don't seem to be ready to acknowledge the fact that there is grieving by the Igbo (whether the war was their fault or not), because of the excessive violence and sardistic methods employed. For example, the excecution of all males above the age of ten in Eastern Delta state made no difference to the outcome of the war, so why was it done? There will no doubt be criminals found on both sides, but if we arent man enough to sort this out, let an impartial foreign court do it.
These things cannot be brushed under the carpet, it takes only a little to salve hearts. Nigeria's way of doing things without any depth of thought is the reason we are so under-developed and in a hurry backwards, we can't even gather own people in a single tent. The day before yesterday, it was the Igbo, yesterday it was Plateau state, today it is the Niger Delta, tomorrow what?

A little common sense goes a long way.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 2:44pm On Nov 15, 2009
ndu_chucks:

I repost the following questions, because their answers could help the healing process and result to looking inwards. So far only 1 poster has attempted to answer them, and the answers were provided along with insults that typify the characteristics of people whose primary motivator is not fact, history lesson, or education, but hate mongering.

If my guess is correct, not a single one of those posters who are quick to call people with differing views, Idiots, Fools, Stupid, e.t.c.,  will attempt to answer the questions. I believe they have not seriously examined their own history and are primarily filled with hate. They are toothless seccessionists that still think they will secede, and Biafra will be actualized.

I know there are other fine intellectuals of the Igbo extraction that can provide some answers to these questions:

If the hate mongers answer these questions honestly, they will see that their hate filled  posts are self defeating.  I don't expect the haters to respond because many of them are cowards -  so reading the questions and answering them in their minds is actually good enough.

These hate mongers keep talking about Genocide, but they continue to conveniently ignore the genocide the Igbos perpetrated against minority groups in the old Eastern region. This is the kind of intellectual dishonesty and superiority complex that you find in white racists. Even the dumbest white racist assumes that he is smarter than all black folks, unaware that there are black folks with superior intelligence. But just because he is white, he assumes that he is more intelligent than all blacks.

This is what many Igbos posters on this thread are doing; it is called prejudice, bias and bigotry.  These people will hide behind the internet and yap that they are brain surgeons, professors, and the like. Who gives a rats ass?

I don't have to agree with all your points but I have to agree with your post. You certainly covered the usual points of the cyber-warriors - Hate, Blaming others, bigotry, genocide, pogrom, acknowledge the sins of your fathers, insults, etc.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by nduchucks: 2:46pm On Nov 15, 2009
Beaf:

ndu_chucks, thanks for your numerous questions.

I think as SapeleGuy has said, it might be better to reffer this matter to the International Court. The reason being that we don't seem to be ready to acknowledge the fact that there is grieving by the Igbo (whether the war was their fault or not), because of the excessive violence and sardistic methods employed. For example, the excecution of all males above the age of ten in Eastern Delta state made no difference to the outcome of the war, so why was it done? There will no doubt be criminals found on both sides, but if we arent man enough to sort this out, let an impartial foreign court do it.
These things cannot be brushed under the carpet, it takes only a little to salve hearts. Nigeria's way of doing things without any depth of thought is the reason we are so under-developed and in a hurry backwards, we can't even gather own people in a single tent. The day before yesterday, it was the Igbo, yesterday it was Plateau state, today it is the Niger Delta, tomorrow what?

A little common sense goes a long way.

beaf, well done.  I completely agree that there were war crimes commited by both sides and as suggested, the agrieved should gather evidence and take their case to the International Court.  What I find objectionable is the hate mongering exhibited by many posters as if they are the only group negatively affected by the war.  

Spreading hatred on nairaland and calling people with opposing views derrogative names will not help the cause of the agrieved.  It is time to handle legitimate grievances in a more civilized manner.  If the agrieved cannot provide adequate evidence of genocide or any other crime to the International Court, then they should stop complaining.

It is instructive to note that the Ibgo leaders including Ojukwu, current and ex Governors, the Ubas, Ngige, and others prefer not to pursue any legal claims against Nigeria and will probably not support any court action.  I don't believe the federal government is interested in such a court action either -  amnesty was provided to Biafra troops.

That is the unfortunate or fortunate state of affairs.  

It is now up to the OP and his cohorts to take whatever evidence they have to the appropriate arena instead of coming to this forum to stir the pot of hatred and tribalism.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SapeleGuy: 2:49pm On Nov 15, 2009
ndu_chucks those are thought provoking questions, in the interest of fairness they should also be applicable to the federal troops.

Wily Wily- You have missed my point entirely. Justice should be total and not selective. Radovan Karadic (Yugoslavia) and Charles Taylor (Liberia) are facing ICC for less destruction than occured during the Nigerian Civil War. Why should the Nigerian perpetrators go free?

As Beaf said let us apply some common sense and stop sweeping inconvenient discoveries under the carpet, soon the carpet will not be big enough for the cover up.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by WilyWily: 2:58pm On Nov 15, 2009
ndu_chucks:

These hate mongers keep talking about Genocide, but they continue to conveniently ignore the genocide the Igbos perpetrated against minority groups in the old Eastern region. .
Mr man, don't say what you don't know, I'm one of those your Eastern minority and i have never heard in my life of Igbo Genocide against us from any of our people. Stupid Propaganda from you Idiot, It will never work again in this my Generation. Why should you come here to tell lies? Are you people looking for another Ally to deceive latter. May Thunder Scatters all of you people Brain Ewu.
What you Idiots are always looking is a way to cause disunity between us and Igbos, it will never work again.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 4:37pm On Nov 15, 2009
ndu_chucks:

beaf, well done.  I completely agree that there were war crimes commited by both sides and as suggested, the agrieved should gather evidence and take their case to the International Court.  What I find objectionable is the hate mongering exhibited by many posters as if they are the only group negatively affected by the war.  

Spreading hatred on nairaland and calling people with opposing views derrogative names will not help the cause of the agrieved.  It is time to handle legitimate grievances in a more civilized manner.  If the agrieved cannot provide adequate evidence of genocide or any other crime to the International Court, then they should stop complaining.

It is instructive to note that the Ibgo leaders including Ojukwu, current and ex Governors, the Ubas, Ngige, and others prefer not to pursue any legal claims against Nigeria and will probably not support any court action.  I don't believe the federal government is interested in such a court action either -  amnesty was provided to Biafra troops.

That is the unfortunate or fortunate state of affairs.  

It is now up to the OP and his cohorts to take whatever evidence they have to the appropriate arena instead of coming to this forum to stir the pot of hatred and tribalism.

I agree that there was genocide before the war started and it led to the creation of Biafra. I also agree that there were atrocities committed by both sides during the war; most famous being Murtala's Second division at Asaba and environs. What I find irritating is this 'we are the only victims mentality'. All sides suffered one way or the other; whether it was one one child or 100,000 children. Biafrans, answer the following questions

1. Why did Nzeogwu brutally murder Colonel Shodeinde's pregnant wife? Was she in the military?
2. Why was the Sardauna's residence shelled with women and children in it?
3. Do you think retaliation has to be equal and measured?

I have said it before and I will say it again, Eastern officers started this nonsense that we are all paying for in one way or the other. Some people will argue erroneously that all tribes were represented in the first coup and that all regions lost political and/or military persons. Some will even say that Nzeogwu is from the mid-west and he is not Igbo. I find such arguments disingenous and nonsensical. I am sorry to bring this line of argument up again but some people like to be victims and blame others for their issues conveniently forgetting certain history. As long as you continue to play the UNPROVOKED and INNOCENT victims, I will continue to remind you of history.

Take another instance, starvation during the war. Every side has to provide and dispense its resources appropriately. Read the following and make up your own mind.

From 1968 onward, the war fell into a form of stalemate, with Nigerian forces unable to make significant advances into the remaining areas of Biafran control. But another Nigerian offensive from April to June 1968 began to close the ring around the Biafrans with further advances on the two northern fronts and the capture of Port Harcourt on May 19, 1968. The blockade of the surrounded Biafrans led to a humanitarian disaster when it emerged that there was widespread civilian hunger and starvation in the besieged Igbo areas. The Biafran government claimed that Nigeria was using hunger and genocide to win the war, and sought aid from the outside world. A Nigerian commission, including British doctors from the Liverpool University School of Tropical Medicine, visited Biafra after the war[4] and concluded that the evidence of deliberate starvation was overplayed, caused by confusion between the symptoms of starvation and various tropical illnesses. While they did not doubt that starvation had occurred, it was less clear to what extent it was a result of the Nigerian blockade or the restriction of food to the civilians (to make it available to the military) by the Biafran government

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Nigerian-Civil-War

1 Like

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by WilyWily: 5:51pm On Nov 15, 2009
Duduknight:

A Nigerian commission, including British doctors from the Liverpool University School of Tropical Medicine, visited Biafra after the war[4] and concluded that the evidence of deliberate starvation was overplayed, caused by confusion between the symptoms of starvation and various tropical illnesses. While they did not doubt that starvation had occurred, it was less clear to what extent it was a result of the Nigerian blockade or the restriction of food to the civilians (to make it available to the military) by the Biafran government [/color]

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Nigerian-Civil-War
Good,
Nigeria commission and British Doctors, hhahahaaa
The same British are the people that provided Nigeria with all the diplomatic and material support to make sure that Biafra was Crushed, The same British used their War Ship to maintain the Blockage knowing that Nigeria as of that time wasn't Capable, Same British persuaded Russian to join them, provided Jet Fighter and Pilots that Bombed indiscriminately Biafran Civilian, The same British that Secretly provided Nigeria some of their foot Soldiers and Engineers that was directing incapable Nigerian Soldiers in the War Front. British Government knowing fully they are accomplice in that Genocide. So all the efforts made to Bring it to United Nation never made it. Go to Youtube and see what Former UN Secretary Boutros Boutros Ghali and all the Journalist that did the coverage said.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 6:07pm On Nov 15, 2009
WilyWily:

Good,
Nigeria commission and British Doctors, hhahahaaa
The same British are the people that provided Nigeria with all the diplomatic and material support to make sure that Biafra was Crushed, The same British used their War Ship to maintain the Blockage knowing that Nigeria as of that time wasn't Capable, Same British persuaded Russian to join them, provided Jet Fighter and Pilots that Bombed indiscriminately Biafran Civilian, The same British that Secretly provided Nigeria some of their foot Soldiers and Engineers that was directing incapable Nigerian Soldiers in the War Front. British Government knowing fully they are accomplice in that Genocide. So all the efforts made to Bring it to United Nation never made it. Go to Youtube and see what Former UN Secretary Boutros Boutros Ghali and all the Journalist that did the coverage said.

Why are you accepting an account from Boutrous-Ghali? After all he is Egyptian and Egypt supported Nigeria during the war. Do you see where I am going with this? Why I accept that it is easy for you to assume bias, you have to accept that British Academics are one of the most liberal in the world. Also, the Biafran propaganda would not have worked were it not for British journalists.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by WilyWily: 6:39pm On Nov 15, 2009
Brother forget, We knew what the British are Capable of. Who Created United Nation, Who Created ICC.
Will a British face War Crime, Never.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 6:55pm On Nov 15, 2009
olafolarin:

I read and watched the war documentary,did some courses(though introductory) on nigerian politics as a 9ja undergraduate(over a decade ago) and read some other war write-ups from different people.(Both on Biafra side and Fed Govt side)
From the little i know,the war would have been averted if Ojukwu believed in Nigeria's unity as a single whole country.
The price paid by the Nigerian nation for the war far outweighs the justifications for the war.

@olafolarin

Why did you feel compelled to respond to this post, especially when you admitted a lack of knowledge of the key things that led to the war? Ojukwu never wanted Nigeria to be divided. Some of the things he demanded was intended to stabilize Nigeria, and some of the same people who sabotaged his position then are now champions of the same things. This further confirms my belief that the Yoruba is not interested in the truth, because if they are, you wouldn't just post things without researching them first.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 6:58pm On Nov 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

@olafolarin

Why did you feel compelled to respond to this post, especially when you admitted a lack of knowledge of the key things that led to the war? Ojukwu never wanted Nigeria to be divided. Some of the things he demanded was intended to stabilize Nigeria, and some of the same people who sabotaged his position then are now champions of the same things. This further confirms my belief that the Yoruba is not interested in the truth, because if they are, you wouldn't just post things without researching them first.

What a sweeping statement; I suppose Olafolarin now speaks for the Yoruba race.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 7:00pm On Nov 15, 2009
^^^^
Sorry dude, but I haven't seen even a single Yoruba who took an objective view on the Biafran war issue. I have found Igbos who did so, but never a Yoruba. Show me one here on Nairaland. undecided
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 7:03pm On Nov 15, 2009
And by objective view, I meant something as simple as admitting that the act of killing about 50,000 Igbos and other easterners even before the first shot was fired in the war, was an act of genocide. I don't care what triggered it. Something also triggered the Hutu massacre of the Tutsis in 1994. You keep justifying genocide.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 7:07pm On Nov 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

And by objective view, I meant something as simple as admitting that the act of killing about 50,000 Igbos and other easterners even before the first shot was fired in the war, was an act of genocide. I don't care what triggered it. Something also triggered the Hutu massacre of the Tutsis in 1994. You keep justifying gencide.

If you read everything then you would have noticed the comment below.
Duduknight:

I agree that there was genocide before the war started and it led to the creation of Biafra. I also agree that there were atrocities committed by both sides during the war; most famous being Murtala's Second division at Asaba and environs. What I find irritating is this 'we are the only victims mentality'. All sides suffered one way or the other; whether it was one one child or 100,000 children.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 7:07pm On Nov 15, 2009
Also, to me, the talk of going to the ICC is only a tiny part of the remedy. In fact it is almost an infinitismal part. The bigger part is the question of shared values. I know that the Igbos and other easterners do not kill settlers and guests for instance. On the contrary, we protect them first in times of war or conflict because it is considered a very bad omen to target your guest. Your guest actually relies on you for security, So, to target them -women(some pregnant), children, old men and helpless fleeing folks is morally reprehensible, and Igbo culture abhor those. But, it was open season on the easterners in the north and some parts of the west. So, the big issue is whether Nigeria is not the biggest joke ever created by man.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 7:31pm On Nov 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

Also to me the talk of going to the ICC is only a tiny part of the remedy. In fact it is almost an infinitismal part. The bigger part is the question of shared values. I know that the Igbos and other easterners do not kill settlers and guests for instance. But, it was open season on the easterners in the north and some parts of the west. So, the big issue is whether Nigeria is not the biggest joke ever created by man.

It is obvious from your post that your view is that everyone in Nigeria is guilty except for people from the east. We all know that can not be true. If what you are looking for is for the North and the South-West to acknowledge and apologise to the East, the IT IS NEVER going to happen. Like I said previously, if you feel so strongly about, quit whining on the Internet and do something about it.

You do not care what led to the regrettable events in the 1960s because IGBO officers were responsible for starting the death and destruction but you want others to acknowledge and apologise for sins committed against the Igbos. Keep that line of thought.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SapeleGuy: 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

Also, to me, the talk of going to the ICC is only a tiny part of the remedy. In fact it is almost an infinitismal part. The bigger part is the question of shared values.

Onlytruth - How can shared values be more important than bringing rapists and murderers to book and seeing that justice is done?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Orji Uzor Kalu Officially Turbaned As Dan Baiwan Hausa In Katsina / Senator Elisha Abbo Released On Bail / Dumb Tribal Bigots Making A Fool Of Themselves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.