Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Traditional Nigerian Beauty Standards? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Nigerian Beauty Standards? (3331 Views)

Traditional Nigerian Postures? / 100 Years Of Nigerian Beauty Styles (video) / 100 Years Of Nigerian Beauty Styles (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Nigerian Beauty Standards? by Abarewhite: 8:41pm On Dec 10, 2016
I was wondering, what are traditional Nigerian beauty standards? I found this:

Hausa (Nigeria) -
Light skin colour, referred to as "red", ranks high in the Hausa criteria of beauty; many variations of colour, from black to a very light reddish brown are seen. (Smith 1965:264)

Ibo (Nigeria) -
In Ibo culture, however, these yellowish or reddish complexions are considered more beautiful than the darker, ‘blacker,’ complexions. ... It is true that, in West Africa, government has for many years been identified with pale-skinned Europeans, but the Ibo evidence suggests that preference for paleness of complexion is indigenous. (Ardener)

However, I read something that the Yoruba's liked brown skinned women, so what are the beauty standards?
Re: Traditional Nigerian Beauty Standards? by meobizy(f): 7:32am On Mar 26, 2019
No stupid book or study defines our beauty standards, we all like what meets our preferences.
For a black country of course light skin will always turn heads.
I know for sure 99.99% of my crushes are naturally [key word: natural] light skinned.
Another thing which catches my fancy culturally is exposure, this is signalled from her dress sense, use of makeup, the way she speaks, the type of books or amount she's read, her hobbies and whether or not fitness is a necessity on her part.

(1) (Reply)

Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? / How Yorubas,housas And Igbos Pronounce English Words / Okrika People Of Rivers Expose Boobs Of Their Ladies 2 Welcome Them 2 Womanhood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.