Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church (980 Views)

Lord's Chosen Enugu Church Building’s Collapse Imminent As Flood Wreaks Havoc / Woman Loses 5 Children In Lagos School Building Collapse / Help Me Before Termites Collapse My Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by haywire07(m): 1:46pm On Dec 12, 2016
iksmoore:
I have taken a closer look at the roof trusses of the collapsed building and i cannot but agree that there is a failure in the conceptual design analysis. The loads were not distributed uniformly and there was no support at the center hence the collapse of the roof.Authorities concern should step in immediately to avert reoccurrence.
https://www.nairaland.com/3514592/photos-reigners-bible-church-under

I have seen various comments blaming the collapse of the church building on the unavailability of columns in auditorium here on nairaland, Facebook and even WhatsApp. I've so therefore decided address the issue based on my personal views and experience.

I must say that I've personally been to sites , churches and mosques that adopted the same pattern of design and and have stood the test of time.
Let's not forget that Canaan land is "I think" the largest church auditorium in the world but yet you can find no columns within the auditorium. It should be ten times bigger than Reigners bible church if not more .

However , there are factors that could lead to the structural failure and building collapse

1. Constant vibration: We all know the earth is always in constant vibration. Let's assume a proper soil test was carried out which gives them a go ahead.
Things that has to be considered also are the effects of mining , closeness of airports, railways and even ordinary borehole drilling.
But in the absence of the aforementioned activities , we can't ignore the fact its a church where about a 7000 out of 10000 capacity will be expected to jump ,dance , run and exhibit various aggressive actions . This is a huge church where "mad" sound systems are required . Vehicular activities can't be ignored also .
Imagine the vibration produced and the effect it will have on a structure that is under construction and might still contain wet/weak concrete.
You can't give the structural calculations allowed for a mosque where the worshippers only touch their forehead on the ground to a church where aggressive actions take place coupled to a wide range of instruments and sounds .
In other words, the structural threshold and allowance required should be wider.

2. Site supervision/ workmanship: I have personally been to sites where artisans would tell you that "bros, if you sabi this work pass me, na for book o" . If you are not careful, this artisans would intimidate you with their age of experience . They would try to convince you that whatever they do is bound to work as its not their first time.
We can't also ignore the type of materials supplied. Where you use and I-sectional steel in place of T-section or whatever, then the trouble has just started .
When you try to cut cost, manage, ignore the curing time before imposing load on concrete , refuse to erect a column, ignore the proper mix ratios - your structure is bound to fail.
The structural calculations contained in your "calculation sheet" (those who use softwares like Orion will understand) are purely standard . It tells you that the construction will work and if it won't work, you will know . But the moment an engineer gets to the site and starts cutting cost or dance to the tune of the contractors , hmmm , na u know the rest o .

#istandtobecritisized

1 Like

Re: COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by haywire07(m): 1:57pm On Dec 12, 2016
Seun lalasticlala mynd44
Re: COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by Rrabbit: 2:12pm On Dec 12, 2016
cool
Re: COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by stanisbaratheon: 2:14pm On Dec 12, 2016
@ op, well articulated.

Much has to be said about the expertise of the contractors and their methods of construction as well.

In a situation where you have thin/long columns supporting all that load at a wider span, you ought to Know better and as such, you ought to be getting things right.
Re: COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by ken19: 2:24pm On Dec 12, 2016
thanks for this
Re: COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by Flaghouse1: 2:40pm On Dec 12, 2016
[b][/b]haywire07

You have given possible scenarios for the collapse of. The structure,I cannot but agree with you 100%

simple knowledge of secondary geography tells us that the earth moves and has direct impact of the topmost or mid layer of the soil.hence we have soil erosion and what have you,I believe soil test would have been done before any construction and this would have dictated the load bearing capacity of the soil.

For personal gains and rush to conduct the coronation this December all these would have being overlooked,there is need to critically look at the nearness of this church to railway tracks ,airport ,or mining ground in their investigation

Thank you for your input
Re: COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by Zenlife: 7:57am On Dec 13, 2016
Good observations.
However, have the contractors completed the project? And was it professionally cleared and approved by the state officials for occupancy?

If not, then I submit that the main reason for the collapse is "For personal gains and rush to conduct the coronation this December all these would have being overlooked," and taken for granted at the unfortunate expense of dear lives.

We shouldn't put the cart before the horse.
Re: COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by haywire07(m): 3:25pm On Dec 13, 2016
Mod Lawyer , u wont push educative threads to FP o , but if its a church collapsing, u will be quick to push it .
At least give people a chance to contribute, argue or jucstapose why such occurrence took place and how to avoid it
Re: COUNTER THREAD: Reasons For Collapse Of Reigners Bible Church by Horus(m): 9:25pm On Dec 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cV4om2kNiM

Nigeria orders arrest of engineers after church collapse

Nigerian officials have reportedly ordered the arrest of contractors and engineers involved in the construction of a church, which collapsed on Saturday killing scores of people.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost Me To Build A House Like These? / A Room/ Parlour Self-contained @ Joyce B,ibadan / Hillcrest Estate Abuja A Very Affordable And Beautifully Designed Estate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.