Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba (16654 Views)

Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives / Igbo And Yoruba Share The Same Ancestors / Ibo, Hausa And Yoruba Are Not Indegenous Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Arijude(m): 9:35am On Dec 13, 2016
Why Ayodele ran out from home...... As families were suggesting what they should celebrate christmas with, one family said, '' adie la ma fi se odoun ''. Another family said, '' malu la ma fi se odoun ''. But Ayodele jumped and ran out from home when he heard his parent telling someone on phone that, '' Ayo la ma fi se odoun ''

10 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Swahili0(f): 9:40am On Dec 13, 2016
PigMeat:
Na so me all the way from cross river state go register igbo language for WAEC for imo state, I copy from one girl for exam hall sote i go copy her name, na so dey girl shout say I want make waec seize her result! them nack me D7.

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by EazyMoh(m): 9:43am On Dec 13, 2016
Bia leye ye ba!

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 13, 2016
Segadem:
says who?
Says me. I have seen many non Yoruba Speak the language in less than two years of staying here.

5 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by AdunniIwo(f): 9:59am On Dec 13, 2016
[quote author=Segadem post=51884834]Hausa is the easiest among the wazobia language,
...yoruba is somehow complicated
[/quote

Hausa is complex, advanced and well-structured...it's the hardest to understand IMO. I found out recently that it associates gender with non-living things....

Ki la n ba ka for goodness sake!

2 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by AdunniIwo(f): 10:02am On Dec 13, 2016
classicB:

Says me. I have seen many non Yoruba Speak the language in less than two years of staying here.

A person can speak but not really understand. Language is more than 'word of mouth'

2 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Boyooosa(m): 10:12am On Dec 13, 2016
@op, pls can you expatiate?

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Abirisegun(m): 10:19am On Dec 13, 2016
TINALETC3:
undecided yoruba is nt easy biko, dnt mind ur frnds

abatisegun

just like mine

abirisegun

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 13, 2016
RedboneSmith:

You mean Igbo is a tonal language. Yoruba language has the same thing. For example, 'Ogun' and 'Oko' can mean a whole lot of different things depending on how you pronounce them.
Yeah thats the thing with Igbo language.
Let me give u some examples.
Ike can mean strength/power but when pronounced differently it becomes buttocks,
Afor is a market day in Igbo while it becomes stomach when pronounce differently.

2 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by jomoh: 10:48am On Dec 13, 2016
TINALETC3:
undecided yoruba is nt easy biko, dnt mind ur frnds

classicB:
Yoruba is a cool language and it's not difficult to understand.

Yoruba is quite hard to deeply understand but what makes it easier to understand on the surface level is the fact that you get encouraged by people who corrects you when you make mistakes instead of making fun of you.

Another great factor that boost your understanding of Yoruba is the fact that Yoruba people chat alot either with their own or not. Either you understand fully or not they will try to include you in their conversation and take their time to explain to you.

without those factors, Yoruba is one of the hardest languages in the world.

for example "OKO" can mean up to 7 different things

oko- husband
oko- farm
oko- how
oko- pen!s
oko- stone
oko- vehicle
oko- (a pparticular number I can't remember)

OGUN

ogun- god of iron
Ogun- charm
Ogun- inheritance
Ogun- ogun state
Ogun- war

AYO

ayo- happiness
ayo- game
ayo- a particular kind of metal bowl

this is just 3 out of dozen of words like those above.

5 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by debque(m): 11:23am On Dec 13, 2016
jomoh:

Yoruba is quite hard to deeply understand but what makes it easier to understand on the surface level is the fact that you get encouraged by people who corrects you when you make mistakes instead of making fun of you.

Another great factor that boost your understanding of Yoruba is the fact that Yoruba people chat alot either with their own or not. Either you understand fully or not they will try to include you in their conversation and take their time to explain to you.

oko- husband
oko- farm
oko- how
oko- pen!s
oko- stone
oko- vehicle

OGUN

ogun- god of iron
Ogun- charm
Ogun- inheritance
Ogun- ogun state
Ogun- war

AYO

ayo- happiness
ayo- game

most 3letter words in Yoruba tend to have different meanings...

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by TheSpellChecker: 11:36am On Dec 13, 2016
abatisegun:
I heard it from some igbo friends of mine that Yoruba is more easier than their igbo language I don't know how true is this?

I'd rather you stick to getting your English right first. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by abatisegun: 11:52am On Dec 13, 2016
TheSpellChecker:

I'd rather you stick to getting your English right first. tongue
what is wrong with my English Baba oloyinbo

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 13, 2016
These are my summation of the 3 main Nigerian languages.
Igbo=Aggresive( if u wan fight,speak igbo)
Yoruba=Romantic( if u wan toast babe,speak yoruba)
Hausa=Musical( if u wan sing,esp. Rap,speak hausa)

Lucky me,I speak all of d above and come top am with the best heavenly language Edo.

2 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 13, 2016
jomoh:

oko- husband
oko- farm
oko- how
oko- pen!s
oko- stone
oko- vehicle

OGUN

ogun- god of iron
Ogun- charm
Ogun- inheritance
Ogun- ogun state
Ogun- war

AYO

ayo- happiness
ayo- game

Most languages has same pronunciation but different meaning.

In Edo,

Ogba= Tap water
Ogba=Complete
Ogba=Fence

Oka=Maize
Oka=Dry
Oka=Ring

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by panpan(m): 1:40pm On Dec 13, 2016
I think the Junior Secondary Certificate Examination (JSCE) should be scrapped. It is a waste of time and resources. I am yet to see any advertised job in which the junior school certificate qualification is acceptable.

The only subjects that should be made compulsory at secondary school certificate level are English Language, Mathematics and one science subject.

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by jomoh: 1:57pm On Dec 13, 2016
opal4real:

Most languages has same pronunciation but different meaning.

In Edo,

Ogba= Tap water
Ogba=Complete
Ogba=Fence

Oka=Maize
Oka=Dry
Oka=Ring

Am not disputing that but Yoruba has one of the most if not the most in Nigeria.

By the way Edo and Yoruba have history together so you can say they may have close level of difficulty.

What makes every language more difficult is the reception and support you recieve from it natural speakers when learning it.

any language that carries tone marks on it's letters are usually more difficult because each Mark represents a tone and the more you change the Mark the more the tone changes and invariably the meaning of the word.

2 Likes

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by scholes0(m): 2:09pm On Dec 13, 2016
jomoh:

Am not disputing that but Yoruba has one of the most if not the most in Nigeria.

By the way Edo and Yoruba have history together so you can say they may have close level of difficulty.

What makes every language more difficult is the reception and support you recieve from it natural speakers when learning it.

any language that carries tone marks on it's letters are usually more difficult because each Mark represents a tone and the more you change the Mark the more the tone changes and invariably the meaning of the word.

What you should have said is that they are more difficult to read, not difficult to speak or understand, because you would hear the tonal differences.
To read however, would be harder without the tone markers.

I have never seen any Yoruba speaker confuse Oko (Pen!s) with Oko (Car) before.

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Danfuster(m): 3:22pm On Dec 13, 2016
RedboneSmith:

You mean Igbo is a tonal language. Yoruba language has the same thing. For example, 'Ogun' and 'Oko' can mean a whole lot of different things depending on how you pronounce them.

You are wrong there, it doesn't cos a properly written Yoruba come with the special overhead/under character signs and stress in each tonation, and as such they are pronounced. I.e Ógun= war : ògun=God of iron etc

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Danfuster(m): 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2016
debque:

That's when you don apply the special overhead/under characters.

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by RedboneSmith(m): 3:37pm On Dec 13, 2016
Danfuster:

You are wrong there, it doesn't cos a properly written Yoruba come with the special overhead/under character signs and stress in each tonation, and as such they are pronounced. I.e Ógun= war : ògun=God of iron etc

That is the tone I am talking about. You aren't saying anything different from what I am saying.

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Jollof(m): 4:37pm On Dec 13, 2016
Lamzee:
in a simple sentence, Sir , You failed Yoruba abii?

yes grin
Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Jollof(m): 4:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
ybalogs:
What did you have in WAEC?
a big fat F9 = Fail
Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Jollof(m): 4:45pm On Dec 13, 2016
Ahmeduana:
AT THE END OF THE DAY WHAT DID YOU SCORED IN YOUR ESSAY?

I scored an F9. But I stated it clearly at the end of the story undecided
Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Jollof(m): 4:57pm On Dec 13, 2016
Randy100:
My brother you are a comedian.

I'm a writer of funny stories at The Crazy Nigerian dot com. I haven't considered stand-up comedy but I'll have to overcome my stage fright first embarassed
Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by jomoh: 5:54pm On Dec 13, 2016
scholes0:

What you should have said is that they are more difficult to read, not difficult to speak or understand, because you would hear the tonal differences.
To read however, would be harder without the tone markers.

I have never seen any Yoruba speaker confuse Oko (Pen!s) with Oko (Car) before.

you're very correct

But then again for you to be able to read you must have a deep understanding of the language which goes back to what I said initially about deep understanding.
Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Emperormartin(m): 8:16pm On Dec 13, 2016
opal4real:
These are my summation of the 3 main Nigerian languages.
Igbo=Aggresive( if u wan fight,speak igbo)
Yoruba=Romantic( if u wan toast babe,speak yoruba)
Hausa=Musical( if u wan sing,esp. Rap,speak hausa)

Lucky me,I speak all of d above and come top am with the best heavenly language Edo.
Yoruba=romantic
Yoruba pple wey dey shout upandan
Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Emmalexmng: 8:16am On Dec 14, 2016
Please what are the full meaning of the following terms ;lol, lmao, rotf, rotflmao, brb, gtg, ttyl, wtf, tgif, l8r, gn8 and myob.
Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Jollof(m): 10:35am On Dec 14, 2016
Emmalexmng:
Please what are the full meaning of the following terms ;
lol - laughing out loud
lmao - laughing my ass off
rotf - rolling on the floor
rotflmao - rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
brb -be right back
gtg - got to go
ttyl - talk to you later
wtf - what the f***
tgif - thank God its Friday
l8r - later
gn8 - goodnight
myob - mind your own business.

There you go smiley Check out the link in my signature for the full comedy experience

1 Like

Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by Emmalexmng: 12:21pm On Dec 14, 2016
Jollof:

There you go smiley Check out the link in my signature for the full comedy experience

Tnx
Re: Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba by masseratti: 8:37pm On Dec 14, 2016
debque:
he didn't do justice to what he wrote, there are consonants signs that differeciate those words.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ijebu Girls Are The Best Wife Material / Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? / Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.