Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,696 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? (3159 Views)

Poll: Which of the following do you prefer?

Separate Accounts: 42% (16 votes)
Partial Joint Account: 44% (17 votes)
Complete Joint Account: 13% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Having A Timetable For Sex Can Boost Your Relationship / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Radiant(f): 10:13pm On Jan 09, 2007
Hello guys wink

Umm. . . was wondering how many of you will agree to have a joint account with your spouse?

If you're married, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

I personally will not have one with my "husband" but want to know how it works. tongue
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by PDF: 10:25pm On Jan 09, 2007
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Radiant(f): 10:32pm On Jan 09, 2007
I didn't say anything here for anyone to be surprised. wink
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by ikamefa(f): 11:08pm On Jan 09, 2007
aight! y'all amma keep it real!

yes i would have one ( to keep him off ma tail if he insist on it)

and another secret one  where i will squirreling some money away  cheesy

a gals got to do what a gals got to do innit?
  cheesy wink
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by ruescho(m): 11:01pm On Jan 10, 2007
Radiant:

I personally will not have one with my "husband" but want to know how it works. tongue

Works very simple: he puts the money on the common account, hands out a credit card for u and that´s it, let the fun begin!

(Saying this as a man who always makes this same fatal mistake cool
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Radiant(f): 11:12pm On Jan 10, 2007
Fatal mistake? Why call it a mistake? grin
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by ruescho(m): 9:26am On Jan 11, 2007
Radiant:

Fatal mistake? Why call it a mistake? grin

Cos in every relation it´s me to pay shocked
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by daprince: 10:49am On Jan 11, 2007
What is the essence of marriage if both parties can't share all they've got. Personally, I;m gonna have a joint acct with my wife cuz I know I'm gonna love and trust her. It just gotta do with mutual respect and love for each other. Not having a joint acct is like signing a prenup, which is all bullshit. I believe some people go into marriage for the very wrong reasons, it's unfortunate. If u can't love and trust ur partner, why not just keep being Bleep buddies rather than deceiving each other?
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 11, 2007
why do you need a joint account with your spouse
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by CrazyMan(m): 1:32pm On Jan 11, 2007
I can’t even think about having a joint account with my wife co’s the disadvantages are so much.
You find your selves arguing unnecessary every now and then even in front of the kids.
It’s not advisable at all undecided
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by sunsao(m): 2:01pm On Jan 11, 2007
As far as am concern as a man, I strongly support having a joint account as the family account which can be sign by any of us, that doesn't stop us from running an individual account from which we jointly fund the family joint account.
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:07pm On Jan 11, 2007
Radiant and money issues hmmm  wink

I dont mind having one, im sure the person i'll marry will be someone i trust whole heartedly grin
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by ide(m): 2:10pm On Jan 11, 2007
capital  N O to joint accounts.   shocked

really, it just leads to querrels and misunderstand btw husband & wife in many cases;
you can love each other all you want with seperate accounts.  grin
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by diyobdw(f): 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2007
We could have the partial thingy maybe with complusory both party siggy with next of kin being our kids.
More got it own evil you know!
cheesy
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by nikynike(f): 2:22pm On Jan 11, 2007
Joint account is never a problem. Once there is understanding, and trust between the couples, they can manage that. Again, it does not prevent them from operating individual account.
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by diyobdw(f): 2:48pm On Jan 11, 2007
individual accounts? Definately
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by justin04(m): 4:06pm On Jan 11, 2007
I am married. We have a joint account and we also have our separate accounts. A percentage of our income goes to the joint account monthly. A way of preparing for the future.
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Radiant(f): 4:15pm On Jan 11, 2007
justin04:

I am married. We have a joint account and we also have our separate accounts. A percentage of our income goes to the joint account monthly. A way of preparing for the future.

I think I can do what you doing. Sounds more relieving to me grin

Loverbwoy, what can I do now? grin I love to spend like I want without answering to no one. I hate asking for money especially when the man actually knows what to do but waits for you to ask. If I got mine, I just do what I want grin Stress free! wink grin

It's not about trust here wink
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by wande(m): 4:53pm On Jan 11, 2007
It has to do with the kind of intimacy and understanding between the party involved. Please if you are not sure, dont ever start what you can never finish, because when it comes to money, women are highly unpredictable.
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Taio(f): 5:25pm On Jan 11, 2007
I see no reason why a couple cannot have a joint account. I am married, sometimes ago my husband got transferred and fell ill, I was at the hotel with a baby and had to go and pick him. It was not easy to piece together the money I had to use to pay the cab driver. That was when it struck home that it could have been something much more serious, needing much more money than paying a cab driver. I remember my mum is anti-joint account cos she kept one with my pop who cleared out the account to build a house for his mom (my grandma) and he (my pop) died shortly after, leaving her high and dry. If you trust your man enough to do it, lucky you, go ahead, it could save your life someday!, if you know your husb is not accountable, you arenOYO (on your own) o!
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 11, 2007
it all depends on the couple.
Personally,I advocate division of labour if both are working.
The hubby pays the mortgage and car notes,home and car repairs,the woman takes care of the smaller bills like electricity,cable,gas,phone and groceries and child care expenses.
Have a budget and for any major thing budgeted,each contributes an agreed amount towards it.

That way no one feels cheated and the woman doesn't have to beg for money to buy her make up and underwears.
Everywoman must have access to the money she makes.She must have an account in her own name.
Every woman must be fearful of anyman that forebids her having her own account.
She should go ahead and open one and leave the documents hidden or given to a trusted friend

many women have been stuck in unhealthy relationships due to restricted access to money
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 11, 2007
and again if the wife is the only one working or she makes more,she should pray for a better job for the man.
The woman making more is a recipe for total katakata.
The role reversal usually does not work but that off topic here.
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Radiant(f): 7:41pm On Jan 11, 2007
babyosisi:

money to buy her make up and underwears.

And lots more wink grin grin grin
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by waffistyle(m): 10:17pm On Jan 11, 2007
i am maried and do operate an account jointly with my wife, though i deposit most of the money there anyway, it is called our family domestic account to cater for all domestic matters, and also to save for any domestic project of mutual interest, grin
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by sunsao(m): 10:59am On Jan 12, 2007
I think is good for the family to have a joint account to serve projects and dometstic needs of mutual interests, but our inability to deal with the flesh in form of selfishness is our main problem. angry
If indeed the two is now one, why then the problem of joint account if we don't have problem of joint bedroom?
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Radiant(f): 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2007
sunsao:

why then the problem of joint account if we don't have problem of joint bedroom?

You indirectly starting a new topic wink grin
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by cushman(m): 7:29pm On Jan 12, 2007
Bad idea! Let us both have a separate account. I can't stand it if i don't have financial independence.
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by deejay1(m): 11:18pm On Jan 12, 2007
2 my own lil knowlege of money i think its wrong 2 have a joint account unless d 2 of u r investing in a same business in which u r both eligible 2 d profits u make
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Radiant(f): 12:58am On Jan 13, 2007
Actually, why should couples have a joint account? Doesn't make sense at all As long as you can both provide for the family, what' the point? smiley
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by soulpatrol(f): 12:59am On Jan 13, 2007
hmmm. dont think it will work for me because i love spending! if my partner puts in his money into our joint account, i'm afraid ill squander it all! cool would rather we both have separate accounts but divvy up the bills as to who pays what and what. i guess one has to do what works for them. like someone mentioned earlier, how would it be if your spouse used up all your money for something without your knowlege, and heaven forbid something happened to him/her and you were left with absolutely nothing! hmmm. not good at all
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by promise72(m): 3:37am On Jan 13, 2007
it all come down to love, respect and trust. Dont marry if any is lacking. I mean truly lacking. If you have to grill your spouse while you were dating to account for how every minute of the last 6hrs was spent, i say the last thing you wanna be thinking about is ajoint account.

Different folks, different strokes. It works for some, it doesnt for others. some people stay married forever, some only few months. thats not putting it on marriage, its in the ingredient for everybody.

If we can agree on how money will be spent and what % will be contributed by whom, there should be no problem.

Personally, i say its 4 accts for married couples. 2 will be joint, 2 will be individual.

1st joint grin (its not what you're thinking, crackheads grin): All bills and responsibilities of the house will be done thru that, then the 2nd joint shocked wink wink, will be emergency funds/savings etc.

The remaining 2 will be individual. do whatever you want with it. set it on fire if you want to, thats ur problem. And the key is: YOU SHOULD NOT BE ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY ON THIS ACCT. shopping?beer? classic cars? wife your a$$ with it? go ahead. answer to no one. Total freedom AS LONG AS YOU'VE MADE YOUR CONTRIBUTION to the common acct.
Re: Having A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by GNature(m): 3:41am On Jan 13, 2007
Na waa ooh Radiant. Does this mean you are about
to get married ? - Just kidding grin

In the U.S., it might be necessary, especially if one is not
married to a Nigerian.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Am Sooo Confused... Where Is This Really Heading To? / 16 Foods From Your Nigerian Childhood You’ll Probably Never See Again / Should I Tell My Husband That The Daughters He Loves So Much Don’t Belong To Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.