Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? (3969 Views)

3 Ways You Can Secure Your Farm From Herdsmen / Protect Your Farm From Sun. / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 9:32pm On Dec 13, 2016
Abeg who is based abroad and has farm in Nigeria. How do you manage it?
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by lekan008(m): 9:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
Farming is not best done in proxy if you want to achieve the maximum profit

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by edebemba(m): 9:48pm On Dec 13, 2016
By employing a farm manager in Nigeria.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by jethro2: 9:57pm On Dec 13, 2016
Cromagnon:
Abeg who is based abroad and has farm in Nigeria. How do you manage it?

Don't even make attempt

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Ebiragirl(f): 10:27pm On Dec 13, 2016
Commenting from www.realestogram.com you can successfully manage a farm from abroad that is your family members are here or your wife or a trusted company or farm manager but lots of things are at risk though.

Including your life when it comes to money and property you got to be wise and care full #Realestogram cares

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 10:47pm On Dec 13, 2016
jethro2:

Don't even make attempt
what of plantain farm,with farm manager
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Favibe16: 10:47pm On Dec 13, 2016
Well, I am abroad and has farm (Livestock and Plantain) in Nigeria. We have been going for about 18 months now, and I have to be honest and say that the experience has been far from what I thought. But, of course with every business, there is a learning curve, so I do not regret the experience the past 18 months and I am actually motivated to push forward. Frankly, I believe what I have learnt about the business is definitely worth whatever I could have lost due to poor management or dishonest employees. A lot of people will advice that you don't start because people cannot be honest in your absence. However they refuse to look at it from the perspective that when you are abroad, you are mostly likely working and making much more money than you are losing at your farm in Nigeria either due to poor management or dishonest employees. For example, I make at least 3mm naira every month (using 450 naira per dollar), my manager and employees will need to be highway robbers to defraud me of even half of that in any given month. So what is better?
Of course some will advise you to keep your money until you are ready to come back and setup, but everyone knows it is not easy to just keep money like that. And more importantly in staring even while you are still away, you learn some very valuable lessons. You learn that theories hardly translate into practice; you learn what people to trust or not, you learn some production and management; you find out what works and what doesn't; you learn about other aspects of the farming value chain you never even thought about (for example, dabbling into poultry has thought me about the opportunities in both farming and storing grains).
My advice to you is there is no better teacher than experience. The best time to go in is actually when you are still abroad and still able to make the money to help replace the losses due to the inevitable learning curve. You should focus more on constructing and expanding your facilities such as buildings and machinery and less on production. Trust me no matter how fraudulent a poultry manager is, he will most likely not sell your pen houses or your feed mill or your tractors, etc.
So seriously, give it a try if you have a passion for farming.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 10:49pm On Dec 13, 2016
Favibe16:
Well, I am abroad and has farm (Livestock and Plantain) in Nigeria. We have been going for about 18 months now, and I have to be honest and say that the experience has been far from what I thought. But, of course with every business, there is a learning curve, so I do not regret the experience the past 18 months and I am actually motivated to push forward. Frankly, I believe what I have learnt about the business is definitely worth whatever I could have lost due to poor management or dishonest employees. A lot of people will advice that you don't start because people cannot be honest in your absence. However they refuse to look at it from the perspective that when you are abroad, you are mostly likely working and making much more money than you are losing at your farm in Nigeria either due to poor management or dishonest employees. For example, I make at least 3mm naira every month (using 450 naira per dollar), my manager and employees will need to be highway robbers to defraud me of even half of that in any given month. So what is better?
Of course some will advise you to keep your money until you are ready to come back and setup, but everyone knows it is not easy to just keep money like that. And more importantly in staring even while you are still away, you learn some very valuable lessons. You learn that theories hardly translate into practice; you learn what people to trust or not, you learn some production and management; you find out what works and what doesn't; you learn about other aspects of the farming value chain you never even thought about (for example, dabbling into poultry has thought me about the opportunities in both farming and storing grains).
My advice to you is there is no better teacher than experience. The best time to go in is actually when you are still abroad and still able to make the money to help replace the losses due to the inevitable learning curve. You should focus more on constructing and expanding your facilities such as buildings and machinery and less on production. Trust me no matter how fraudulent a poultry manager is, he will most likely not sell your pen houses or your feed mill or your tractors, etc.
can we talk offline
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 10:51pm On Dec 13, 2016
Ebiragirl:
Commenting from www.realestogram.com you can successfully manage a farm from abroad that is your family members are here or your wife or a trusted company or farm manager but lots of things are at risk though.

Including your life when it comes to money and property you got to be wise and care full #Realestogram cares
are there trusted farm managers in recession.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 10:54pm On Dec 13, 2016
lekan008:
Farming is not best done in proxy if you want to achieve the maximum profit
I agree but I need to invest towards retirement. Cos e no easy hia at all. And I'm thinking plantain doesn't need too much ŤLC like that.at least till I have enough hectares to sustain myself on both continents
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 10:55pm On Dec 13, 2016
edebemba:
By employing a farm manager in Nigeria.
how to get a responsible one
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Beboy23(m): 11:09pm On Dec 13, 2016
Cromagnon:
I agree but I need to invest towards retirement. Cos e no easy hia at all. And I'm thinking plantain doesn't need too much ŤLC like that.at least till I have enough hectares to sustain myself on both continents
My brother there are still reputable people here on nairaland that can help you to establish your farm for you in Nigeria, plantain farm is easy, I can advise you to venture into it, the risk is minimal, I am a farm consultant, I sell plantain sucker and I establish and manage plantain farm for people.

https://www.nairaland.com/3381926/how-get-best-hybrid-plantain#49824303

N. B
You can check my profile if you are interested,
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Favibe16: 11:17pm On Dec 13, 2016
Cromagnon:
can we talk offline
We can, but I can no longer access the email I use for this account on Nairaland so drop whatever you are comfortable communicating with (email, phone number, whatsapp) and I will contact you.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 11:30pm On Dec 13, 2016
Favibe16:

We can, but I can no longer access the email I use for this account on Nairaland so drop whatever you are comfortable communicating with (email, phone number, whatsapp) and I will contact you.
+1 929 434 9860

Send message with faveibe so I know it's you
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Atlanticfire: 11:37pm On Dec 13, 2016
I am living abroad and have 2 farms in Nigeria.
You will lose money, they will not execute the work to plan but on the long run it is better to start while you are away.

I did not make profit so far but I now have assets that I can call my own. I bought 100 acres of land for my 2nd farm, that money would have long gone if not that I put it into the land. I now have tractors and other implements for farming. I would not have been able to acquire any of these if I have not started while still abroad.

Most importantly, I have learnt a lot. You learn everyday so the earlier you start the earlier you can learn.

In terms of people, using my relatives to manage my farms has turned out better than using the so called consultants.

You end up teaching the consultants what to do while they scheme on how to fleece you or use pictures of your farm to get more clients that they can fleece.

My advice, if you have a business you can do abroad, do that, if you don't have the time to run a business abroad then get a relative to run your farm in Nigeria, but don't hand it over to him, guide and coach him frequently.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Favibe16: 12:05am On Dec 14, 2016
Cromagnon:
+1 929 434 9860

Send message with faveibe so I know it's you
I sent you a txt message. Mt area code is 609
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 1:02am On Dec 14, 2016
Favibe16:

text or whatsapp. Not seeing any
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 1:05am On Dec 14, 2016
Favibe16:

email Mikolowiska@gmail. Com
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by alakara(m): 7:21am On Dec 14, 2016
Even though my country had gone south,we still have faithful people.
I like the advice of getting your fixed assets first and any produce you will produce think along the line of value addition.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by edebemba(m): 7:29am On Dec 14, 2016
Cromagnon:
how to get a responsible one
Put up ads on some sites or in the media and specify the type of farm you have, whether it is crop farm, animal farm, piggery farm, poultry farm, etc. Nigeria has talented individuals in all occupations known to man.l wish you good luck.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Pavore9: 9:43am On Dec 14, 2016
Going into value addition like @alakara stated is a safer option for one who is not on ground. From personal experience while working in several rural communities while in Nigeria, there are so much harvests left to waste.

One could go into processing and packaging for both the local and export market.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 9:13pm On Dec 14, 2016
edebemba:

Put up ads on some sites or in the media and specify the type of farm you have, whether it is crop farm, animal farm, piggery farm, poultry farm, etc. Nigeria has talented individuals in all occupations known to man.l wish you good luck.
but how I do I know who is reputable and who will just chop me raw
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 10:40pm On Dec 14, 2016
Pavore9:
Going into value addition like @alakara stated is a safer option for one who is not on ground. From personal experience while working in several rural communities while in Nigeria, there are so much harvests left to waste.

One could go into processing and packaging for both the local and export market.
but value addition requires day to day monitoring
Which is why I opted for plantain in short term
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by edebemba(m): 12:35am On Dec 15, 2016
Cromagnon:
but how I do I know who is reputable and who will just chop me raw

Reputation is all about what somebody is known for. So a reputable farm manager is someone that can be able to tell you one or two places or farms he had managed before and which are subject to confirmation by you. Which means he must be somebody with vast experience and this will cost you money. As for being 'chopped raw',you may not be able to avoid it but you can minimize it. My Bible tells me that 'He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap'-Ecclesiastes 11:4. You can agree with me that if you give your own blood brother money to build a house for you in your village, chances are that he will not render correct account of expenditure to you. How much more another person. Businesses, including farming, are all about risk taking and the capacity to manage such risks.
If you cannot bear the risk, better face what you are doing abroad or you come back home to supervise your farm. Otherwise , employ a manager and accept whatever he tells you. You can't pursue two things at the same time from a distant location.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 7:36am On Dec 15, 2016
edebemba:

Reputation is all about what somebody is known for. So a reputable farm manager is someone that can be able to tell you one or two places or farms he had managed before and which are subject to confirmation by you. Which means he must be somebody with vast experience and this will cost you money. As for being 'chopped raw',you may not be able to avoid it but you can minimize it. My Bible tells me that 'He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap'-Ecclesiastes 11:4. You can agree with me that if you give your own blood brother money to build a house for you in your village, chances are that he will not render correct account of expenditure to you. How much more another person. Businesses, including farming, are all about risk taking and the capacity to manage such risks.
If you cannot bear the risk, better face what you are doing abroad or you come back home to supervise your farm. Otherwise , employ a manager and accept whatever he tells you. You can't pursue two things at the same time from a distant location.
exactly
Needle wen get thread
Recommended by someone else
Yoruba say na wia we de work we de chop
But some ppl are so foolish to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
So forgive me if I try to eat my cake and have it.
The abroad sef no easy to vex face.
There is a reason diasporans are investing back home after escaping from the hellhole we call home
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Ademat7(m): 6:37am On Dec 16, 2016
What if our Govt establish a body that can help guarantee investment of Nigerian in diaspora?
I've always hv such vision.
I'm an agronomist myself (tomato, pepper,cucumber, Ugu,vegetables) greenhouse and open field.
How do one get job if nobody trust you??
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Ebiragirl(f): 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2016
You can trust us at www.realestogram.com email: info@realestogram.com, binoosmart@gmail.com Phone: +2348168374589 text message or call.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by legendte(m): 5:38pm On Dec 16, 2016
I have that in mind as well. Someone told me to engage 3 people: a security man to watch, an expert to supervise and a relative to monitor.
The problem is trying to get them to be 100% sincere. That's the mistake most people do. For me, once I get a competent hand, I wouldn't mind the small misappropriation as long as I make profit. It all depends on the type of farming. I believe one can monitor plantain farming very well. You can send another relative to do the monitoring or a close school friend.
Most important thing here is investing the cash instead of banking it. The manager can sell my plantain but he can't sell my land. Assets appreciate. Just like every other thing in life as someone pointed out, we learn from experiences and mistakes are part of learning as failure is part of success.
I learnt a lot of things while building my house and believe me, it's difficult for me to repeat those mistakes or get cheated by contractors. The age of cameras should be taken as an advantage.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 11:50pm On Dec 18, 2016
legendte:
I have that in mind as well. Someone told me to engage 3 people: a security man to watch, an expert to supervise and a relative to monitor.
The problem is trying to get them to be 100% sincere. That's the mistake most people do. For me, once I get a competent hand, I wouldn't mind the small misappropriation as long as I make profit. It all depends on the type of farming. I believe one can monitor plantain farming very well. You can send another relative to do the monitoring or a close school friend.
Most important thing here is investing the cash instead of banking it. The manager can sell my plantain but he can't sell my land. Assets appreciate. Just like every other thing in life as someone pointed out, we learn from experiences and mistakes are part of learning as failure is part of success.
I learnt a lot of things while building my house and believe me, it's difficult for me to repeat those mistakes or get cheated by contractors. The age of cameras should be taken as an advantage.
yeah but how to know real expert and not internet expert
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 11:53pm On Dec 18, 2016
Ademat7:
What if our Govt establish a body that can help guarantee investment of Nigerian in diaspora?
I've always hv such vision.
I'm an agronomist myself (tomato, pepper,cucumber, Ugu,vegetables) greenhouse and open field.
How do one get job if nobody trust you??
this is my endgame.
Once I balance
I form coop
Then incorporate and go public
It's time our agric and manufacturing go public
Instead of only banks and foreign companies
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by emmaodet: 8:12am On Sep 11, 2022
Favibe16:

So s so true.

This is what am passing through and any time i think of quitting, i also think of first-hand learning and experiences am gaining that money can't buy and the more boldness and experience i get by the day.
My farm is just a fraction of what i invest. Even less than 10% of my annual income so it is worth all the experiences.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Charcoal Export Fraud...beware / Multipurpose Tractors For Cultivating, Planting & Harvesting / Cassava tuber and varieties of Stem Available!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.