Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Private Schools Vs Public Schools. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Schools Vs Public Schools. (16603 Views)

Poll: I Prefer:-

Private Schools: 68% (40 votes)
Public schools: 31% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools / Private Schools Vs Government Schools In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nonnyl(m): 9:12am On Nov 14, 2009
Hey everyone!           I just thought I would get people opinions on this one, personally I will be sending my kids to private school. I think children in private schools have better education. I went to public school and my parents always regret that they could never afford private schooling for me and my 4 siblings. I didnt dislike public schools. When my kids are born, I'll be setting up savings accounts just to make sure I've got some money in the bank to send them to private schools. How about you? Do you think kids in private schools get better education? I do.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 14, 2009
No contest private of course
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Spyker: 3:36pm On Nov 14, 2009
In the 1980s, the public schools are the best, but now, the private ones are the best. But i think going by the way the Nigerian education system is being run and the rush for individuals and churches to setup their own schools, it simply means that the public or government school is meant and really meant for the poor and the wretched. So, if you want the best for your kid(s), start saving for private school even before you marry.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 14, 2009
If it's in Nigeria, it should be a private school.

There's this public primary school near my house. When school's supposed to have started and the kids supposed to be in class, you see them roaming the streets with buckets looking for where to fetch water. Both nursery and primary school kids. It's so pitiful. If you don't want to indulge your kids in unwarranted extracurricular activities you did not pay for, better enroll them in private schools if you have the money.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 14, 2009
Public schools even go on strike.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by spikedcylinder: 4:06pm On Nov 14, 2009
In Nigeria?
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by chelseabmw(m): 4:19pm On Nov 14, 2009
private private private all through
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by mrofficial(m): 4:38pm On Nov 14, 2009
Sleep and death just resemble. But difference big well well.

You know wetin i mean.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2009
spikedcylinder:

In Nigeria?

Yup.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by spikedcylinder: 4:59pm On Nov 14, 2009
In that case, it is definitely private schools. Even down to tertiary institutions.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by sholasys: 5:21pm On Nov 14, 2009
It is a pity Nigeria system of education as gone awry. Public school was better in 70s and 80s, teachers were serious, discipline and diligent to their work. There were plans for improvement and training of teachers then, like “COREL and SANDSWITCH”. Basic amenities such as library, laboratory equipment, sport utilities and good furniture with conducive learning environment. All the above mention had been eroded away and dilapidated since corruption came into our government. Private school is the best place to train our children of this generation except there is a revolution in that sector because they have basic amenities for good and conducive learning environment and highly educated tutors but the are extra expensive.  Let me stop here.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Louisidowu(m): 5:45pm On Nov 14, 2009
thank goodness you already said you think private schools are better, in my own opinion there is no basis for comparism. the private schools are far ahead of the public schools and i doubt if they will be able to catch up in the nearest future because they are not resting on their oars.

shocked
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Redman44(m): 6:25pm On Nov 14, 2009
Hmn, I feel we should be careful with our comments on this issue. To a large extent, the Private Schools have better facilities than the Public Schools but can we confidently say the products of Private Schools are intelligent than students of Public Schools? When we talk about Public Schools, we need to categorize them. There are some Public Schools that have the facilities that some Private Schools have, and there are some Private Schools that are just barely better than the Jakande type of Schools. Honestly, I have come across pupils from Private Primary Schools that are dull despite the high fees their parents are paying sad sad  A youngster can be taught in a school with all the facilities and equipment in the world, yet he or she might be an average pupil. It is also true that some dilapidated schools churn out brilliant graduates.

I attended a Public Secondary School that was equipped to an extent. This was because the School had a vibrant Old Students Association that continuosly initiated construction projects all around the School premises. The Library of the School also received a yearly financial grant from the Will of the Late Sir Mobolaji Bank Anthony. Some Federal Government Colleges and Unity Schools are also not bad when it comes to infrastructure and standards. What I would advise the initiator of this thread to do is to conduct a personal research on the schools available [ both Public and Private ], before sending his or her wards to any any of them. We should not also forget that that the Missionaries are back into Education as some of their Schools are being returned to them. The future is bright for Public Schools originally owned by the Christian Missions [ Catholic, Wesleyan, Anglican, Baptist etc ]. A lot of factors have to be considered to truly know if Private Schools are better than Public Schools. Cheers.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 14, 2009
Private School - Primary to Secondary

Public School - Primary Level is a joke  cool, Secondary Level - I went to public school in those days, but right now public school is a joke  cool

Few years back, the missionary came into lime light to over take some of the public schools that was owned by them and converted them back to private schools since the government can't manage them.

Public schools lack management and the teacher are fu cking lazy and less concerned about the students.

You need to be very determined and read ahead to be a brilliant student in public schools because some teachers won't even come to class, you have to go to the admin block to go and call a teacher that he/she got class 
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by younggurl(f): 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2009
private school is the bomb,,, oh! i mean the best
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by rozu4luv(m): 7:00pm On Nov 14, 2009
back in day is not now our govt need to work on dat so dat good education will not be for d rich only
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by CarlosVent(m): 7:05pm On Nov 14, 2009
PRIVATE IS THE BEST COS OUR GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS ARE NOT REDEFINED.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by iice(f): 7:16pm On Nov 14, 2009
Yeessh cheesy
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by centnaira: 8:01pm On Nov 14, 2009
let me get it clear, are u talking about naija? smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by dramaquin: 8:21pm On Nov 14, 2009
private schools all d way o,if u'll be educating them in naija

however, its not enuf to just say private sch o!cos private get class now,some r even worse than them public schs.

if u cant afford d really good ones, then pls stick to d likes of QC, KC or military schs.for real o!they aint so bad, i went to navy(real good)

then again PLS START SAVING TODAY!whether married or not and remember, primary sch's d most important.d foundation!spare no expenses!
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Remii(m): 8:39pm On Nov 14, 2009
To answer your question, I would say send your kids to private school. Even with that you need to be selective and get involved in the training of your kids. Some schools pay less attention to quality of teachers in lower classes until primary 4 5 and 6, Your know the society is exam results crazy, they place so much premium on exam performance.

Come to think of it, reverse is the case in nearby Ghana. I was in Ghana last August, while discussing with a student from a private university, she told me, she had to go to private uni because she was unable to get required grades to be able to secure placement in her choice of course in a government university. That used to be the case in Nigeria in the 70s/80s, those who went to private schools then, (both primary and secondary schools) were children of rich who were unable to pass entrance exams, unfortunately, the case is now only the poor attend public schools in Nigeria, especially primary and secondary.  May God Save Nigeria.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by eminemkayc: 8:49pm On Nov 14, 2009
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by posakosa(m): 8:49pm On Nov 14, 2009
I think there should a[i] Neither [/i]Option----
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by koolchicco: 9:43pm On Nov 14, 2009
In Nigeria= Private School
Abroad= Either of the Two
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Remii(m): 9:59pm On Nov 14, 2009
posakosa:

I think there should a[i] Neither [/i]Option----

Are you insinuating that there are no good schools in Nigeria?, take am easy oo. People still dey finish from Naija University, go abroad  and perform wonders at Masters level o. grin grin grin
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by tayoast(m): 10:12pm On Nov 14, 2009
If u take a look @ some 'private ' schs, they're really PUBLIC.

Evry1 would want their kids 2 attend a private sch. Even 4 yankee.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Outstrip(f): 10:55pm On Nov 14, 2009
koolchicco:

In Nigeria= Private School
Abroad= Either of the Two

Depends on the school districts. Some school districts leave you no option but to go to private school
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by chic2pimp(m): 11:13pm On Nov 14, 2009
@ POST

PRIVATE SCHOOL DUH!!!!!! undecided
Federal Government schools are as good as any private secondary school in nigeria
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by leye1234(m): 11:22pm On Nov 14, 2009
@poster,
You are on the right track except for the BANK issue. The money might not be there when you are ready to use it. The way these banks keep granting unsecured loans.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by stede(m): 12:16am On Nov 15, 2009
public school are 9ice
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Hanoobaba(m): 12:30am On Nov 15, 2009
Private Primary School, Public Secondary School, Federal University. I went to public secondary myself (African Church Grammar School) and I loved it. Private School students are not sharp. At public schools you get to learn killer instincts; survival 4 d fittest.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by princekevo(m): 7:05am On Nov 15, 2009
They are of no comparism. We Know there is no school as government school in Nigeria, but a glorified Zoo. Where student can hang on the window like monkeys recieving lecture. smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Female Uniport Student Accuses Lecturers Of Demanding 3 Some, Before Giving E Sc / Futa Post-ume Date Out / FG Says No Approval On Location Of New 6 Colleges Of Education Yet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.