Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,205 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better (3024 Views)

Most Of The Time Your CV Is Reviewed By ATS, Avoid Being Rejected. / 9 Reasons Why Your CV Is Being Dumped / Submission Of Cv Is Still Ongoing In Our Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by elfakkawy(m): 2:56am On Dec 14, 2016
As an 16 year old boy, what do you think of my cv

Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by lanxebony(m): 5:15am On Dec 14, 2016
You try ooo, have you been going to school in your mother's womb hmmmm. 28 yrs old you work for ministry ,you supervised project . Abeg make I hold something...

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Sanchez01: 6:31am On Dec 14, 2016
My problem is with the way your spoken languages are presented. Truth is, no one cares which is L1 (mother tongue), fluent or not. Just list them out, stating English language as the first, followed by the Fulani language and then Hausa.

Also, your job descriptions look shabby. I believe you do more than these for each.

For your computer skills, it's safer if you adopt good adjectives before each of them rather than list out your level of consistency on each.

Example; Efficient use of Windows and Windows-based programmes and applications.

The rest should go in the same direction while 'strong' adjectives should play out on each. Rather than separate 'Word' from 'PowerPoint', it is wiser to lump them under 'Microsoft Office' applications.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by elfakkawy(m): 11:07am On Dec 14, 2016
Sanchez01:
My problem is with the way your spoken languages are presented. Truth is, no one cares which is L1 (mother tongue), fluent or not. Just list them out, stating English language as the first, followed by the Fulani language and then Hausa.

Also, your job descriptions look shabby. I believe you do more than these for each.

For your computer skills, it's safer if you adopt good adjectives before each of them rather than list out your level of consistency on each.

Example; Efficient use of Windows and Windows-based programmes and applications.

The rest should go in the same direction while 'strong' adjectives should play out on each. Rather than separate 'Word' from 'PowerPoint', it is wiser to lump them under 'Microsoft Office' applications.
Thanks Man, I'll recode it.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by praxs(m): 5:56pm On Dec 14, 2016
Sanchez01:

Please comment on mine. Referees is on th 3rdpage, dint paste it here

Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by ekay39(m): 7:28pm On Dec 14, 2016
I like that your CV is neat. However, I think you should add flesh to the job positions held in the past. Give 2 or 3 job descriptions and then add one or two accomplishments under each job description.

Overall, its a very good attempt

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by praxs(m): 7:57pm On Dec 14, 2016
ekay39:
I like that your CV is neat. However, I think you should add flesh to the job positions held in the past. Give 2 or 3 job descriptions and then add one or two accomplishments under each job description.

Overall, its a very good attempt
That ll be the op cv or the 2nd cv
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Sanchez01: 8:34pm On Dec 14, 2016
praxs:

I can't remember the last time I saw a typical CV smiley

What you have there is a combination of CV with a resumé. Most people can't tell the difference between the two, which often pose problems. Bottom line is, the inclusion of your publications and the number of pages indicate that you have a CV, which is more educational in nature, bulkier and we'll detailed, as opposed to a resumé, which is solely based on previous job experiences, little information on educational background and less weighter.

Good news; it could come in handy if you're targeting a position within an educational institution, particularly tertiary.

Bad news; it could bore an HR as there seem to be some uninteresting details in your CV.

'Main Strength' should be pushed way down and should be replaced with 'Key Competencies'. It would be easier to recognize your weaknesses since your 'strengths' are listed.

Replace 'Working experiences' with 'Previous Work Experiences'. Also, this should come after your personal profile.

Your job descriptions are not detailed. I'm sure you would need to work on that area. Give enough details of each of the jobs. Give your next employer the impression that you knew/know your left from your right.

Your previous job position and the timeline should be on the same line. Use the tab button on your PC to do this. Again, there's every need for you to include job descriptions. You could get tons of them online, so long you search for the position you would like to get its description.

If you're willing to apply within a non educational organization (i.e, not a higher institution, then I'd say you remove your publications, and conferences attended.

There's no singular acceptable form of CVs or resumé, or pattern that must necessarily be followed. However, the reason most people recommend that previous job experiences must come first is because that is where your true selling point lies, and not in your key competencies. Consider these too as key competencies;

Teamwork.
Responsibility.
Commitment to career.
Commercial awareness.
Career motivation.
Decision making.
Communication.
Leadership.

Finally,you do not need to include your references. It's okay to put 'available on request' there. If you're applying to an organization, it's better to force your CV into two pages, rather than three. Most HRs don't fancy this. All the best!

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Souljaboi1: 7:17am On Dec 15, 2016
praxs:

Funny that you blurred the name on the first page but I can see one recurrent name on the list of publications.

You need to blur that out too Mallam Ishaya.
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by praxs(m): 7:58am On Dec 15, 2016
Sanchez01:

I can't remember the last time I saw a typical CV smiley

What you have there is a combination of CV with a resumé. Most people can't tell the difference between the two, which often pose problems. Bottom line is, the inclusion of your publications and the number of pages indicate that you have a CV, which is more educational in nature, bulkier and we'll detailed, as opposed to a resumé, which is solely based on previous job experiences, little information on educational background and less weighter.

Good news; it could come in handy if you're targeting a position within an educational institution, particularly tertiary.

Bad news; it could bore an HR as there seem to be some uninteresting details in your CV.

'Main Strength' should be pushed way down and should be replaced with 'Key Competencies'. It would be easier to recognize your weaknesses since your 'strengths' are listed.

Replace 'Working experiences' with 'Previous Work Experiences'. Also, this should come after your personal profile.

Your job descriptions are not detailed. I'm sure you would need to work on that area. Give enough details of each of the jobs. Give your next employer the impression that you knew/know your left from your right.

Your previous job position and the timeline should be on the same line. Use the tab button on your PC to do this. Again, there's every need for you to include job descriptions. You could get tons of them online, so long you search for the position you would like to get its description.

If you're willing to apply within a non educational organization (i.e, not a higher institution, then I'd say you remove your publications, and conferences attended.

There's no singular acceptable form of CVs or resumé, or pattern that must necessarily be followed. However, the reason most people recommend that previous job experiences must come first is because that is where your true selling point lies, and not in your key competencies. Consider these too as key competencies;

Teamwork.
Responsibility.
Commitment to career.
Commercial awareness.
Career motivation.
Decision making.
Communication.
Leadership.

Finally,you do not need to include your references. It's okay to put 'available on request' there. If you're applying to an organization, it's better to force your CV into two pages, rather than three. Most HRs don't fancy this. All the best!

Thanx alot. This wil be helpful

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by praxs(m): 8:01am On Dec 15, 2016
Souljaboi1:

Funny that you blurred the name on the first page but I can see one recurrent name on the list of publications.

You need to blur that out too Mallam Ishaya.
tongue
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Probz(m): 5:56am On Jan 11, 2019
Who needs a CV editing?
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Francisayo(m): 6:49am On Jan 11, 2019
Probz:
Who needs a CV editing?

Pls help me,send ur email here so I can send it
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Probz(m): 7:15am On Jan 11, 2019
obi.okeke@outlook.com
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Francisayo(m): 7:28am On Jan 11, 2019
Probz:
obi.okeke@outlook.com

Sent! tanx.....my own email
Odunayofrancisarogba@gmail.com
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Probz(m): 7:31am On Jan 11, 2019
Francisayo:

You’ll have it back later today.
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by omoh17(m): 7:37am On Jan 11, 2019
Probz:
obi.okeke@outlook.com

Can I send mine
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Tolupage(m): 8:08am On Jan 11, 2019
Probz:
Who needs a CV editing?
Can you help with mine please, I'm gonna send it. Thanks
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Probz(m): 8:10am On Jan 11, 2019
Tolupage:

Can you help with mine please, I'm gonna send it. Thanks

No yawa at all.
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Roses1759: 9:11am On Jan 11, 2019
Please permit me to send mine too. Can I send it please?

Probz:
Who needs a CV editing?
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by mhizzcherry(f): 10:03am On Jan 11, 2019
I do please,I just sent u a mail...juliusonome2@gmail.com please help
Probz:
Who needs a CV editing?
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Probz(m): 11:37am On Jan 11, 2019
Roses1759:
Please permit me to send mine too. Can I send it please?

Send it.
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Janny15(f): 2:52pm On Jan 11, 2019
Probz:
Who needs a CV editing?
I do pls. I sent you a personal message. Pls how do I send the CV so u can edit for me?
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by rafhy(f): 4:14pm On Jan 11, 2019
Probz:
Who needs a CV editing?

Can i send mine please
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Roses1759: 5:03pm On Jan 11, 2019
God bless you for helping us.

Probz:
obi.okeke@outlook.com
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Probz(m): 6:44pm On Jan 11, 2019
rafhy:

Can i send mine please

Send it.
Re: What Do You Think Of My CV: Is There Anything To Make It Better by Francisayo(m): 8:42pm On Jan 11, 2019
Francisayo:

I'm still waiting for u to send it back bro

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Highest Salary An OND Holder Should Earn? / You Can Join The French Foreign Legion As A Nigerian / Who Knows About Got Formation Ltd?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.