Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned (21271 Views)

Car Importation Business / Has FG Lifted Ban On Vehicle Importation Through Land Borders,agents Pls Help. / Effects Of Ban On Importation Of Vehicles Through Land. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by AutoJoshNG: 5:13pm On Dec 15, 2016
When the rich lament about the ban of car importation through land border, I always understand their plight. However, for the average Nigerian that intends to buy that 2003 Toyota Camry… You need not worry because you didn’t even have any real benefit before the ban.

Reasons car importation through land border was banned:

1. Only Politicians and Top Government Officials truly benefitted:
These guys smuggle brand new cars through the land border like pure water. In 2014, I went to Ilaro for the first time and slept over. You won’t believe over 100 brand new Land Cruiser and Prado SUVs were smuggled into the country through that route that day. The vehicles came in around 6 pm and were parked in a large compound until they departed at midnight. The residents told me most of those cars were going to Abuja. As the owner of the compound was an official smuggler for the politicians.

2. Corruption, Leakages and Smuggling:
You do not want to imagine how much corruption has been going on at that Seme border. The Custom officials are just getting richer at the expense of the country.

Leakages and pillages everywhere. Custom exploiting smugglers and smugglers killing Custom officials in return. It has even become a battle field with over 70 Custom officers killed in 2016 alone.

3. Double Duty Makes an Cotonou Cars More Expensive:
Are you among those who think Cotonou cars are cheaper? Wake up, It’s a myth.

This is the logic. Cars in Cotonou are not sourced from space. They are imported from USA, Canada and Europe. This means, Lagos and Cotonou bound cars are bought from the same market… at similar prices. Shipping cost is also not different.. I know this because I have shipped to both locations. So how can a Cotonou car be cheaper? The answers are simple:

-- Some greedy Nigerian car dealers add excessive profit margin on their cars. Compared to Cotonou dealers who focus on quick sales turnover.
-- Partial or total evasion of import duty at the land border.

If you buy a 2003 Toyota Camry from Cotonou, you will pay 500,000 Cefa as import duty to Benin Republic government. You will also pay another import duty to the Nigeria government if you follow the legal route. Both duties will not be less than N600k. Obviously, that’s higher than the N435k you will pay at TINCAN or Apapa port in Lagos. Thanks to the car crossers (Fayawo drivers) who help cross the cars at little or zero duty.

Note: The 500,000 Cefa duty in Cotonou is usually a flat fee so it is insignificant to importers of expensive and exotic cars. So, a 2016 G-Wagon owner will prefer to smuggle through Cotonou with N2 million instead of paying N21 million in Apapa port.

4. Locally Assembled Cars:
The bigwigs that smuggle these exotic cars can as well buy brand new cars that are assembled in Nigeria. Federal Government wants them to patronise Innoson Motors, Peugeot Nigeria, Stallion Motors, Eastern Vehicle Assembling Limited (EVAL) etc. This will create jobs and reduce the demand for dollar.

5. Add Your Own:
Tell us your own reason why you think car importation through land border should or should not be banned.

https://autojosh.com/car-importation-through-land-border/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by veekid(m): 6:21am On Dec 16, 2016

gullible excuses from the dullard. Happney65; can you imagine? Do we complain of bn too expensive? #yeye

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by herzern(m): 6:22am On Dec 16, 2016
cool
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by buharimustlive: 6:23am On Dec 16, 2016
That is the world dullest president way of diversifying the economy.

The Senate should quickly impeach and sack KEMI ADEOSUN, what kind of dull minister of finance is she....

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by tuoyoojo(m): 6:23am On Dec 16, 2016
this policy has its pros and cons

pros

if cars are imported through our boarder, it would not only create revenue for this broke govt but the spill over would get to the boys working in the wharf,the car washer, the road mechanic, the spare Part dealer etc

due to the abysmal fall in the naira, cars sold in Benin would almost be equal to the in Nigeria, the difference is the relative increase Incustom tarrifs that Nigerians charge based on the price of the vehicle

it would make the work of sorting out snuggled vehicles less cumbersome because once they see relatively new cars coming or cars being driven in a convoy, its a red flag

hopefully the process of clearing goods at the port would undergo major reorganisation and overhauling to make it less stressful

cons

it doesn't tell obey the ECOWAS treaty for the free movement of goods across the subregion

it may cause the custom guys to be more corrupt and exploit people using the ports because they know they have no option

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 16, 2016
These reasons are not genuine.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 16, 2016
This doesn't make sense to me, I brought in my car through cotonou and paid all duties on the car. All your reasons further buttress the fact that we have an irresponsible government. Have u ever heard of land-locked countries? these countries do not have access to sea, thereby import everything through land borders. Will such countries shut down land borders due to leakages as well?

The Government is simply telling us our land borders are porous and there is nothing they can do about it. its the height of irresponsibility. This policy will only make the already jam-packed Apapa port more congested.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nokio1: 6:25am On Dec 16, 2016
Information is power.tnx op

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bacco2000(m): 6:25am On Dec 16, 2016
I
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by web2X: 6:25am On Dec 16, 2016
If the ban will make our economy better, that's alright.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by chincent: 6:27am On Dec 16, 2016
I will be back. grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by MyMouth(m): 6:27am On Dec 16, 2016
I have nothing to say, i don't import cars, i drive them.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by coolexy2: 6:28am On Dec 16, 2016
hope is favorable to common Nigerians
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by wagazala: 6:28am On Dec 16, 2016
One sure thing is the ban won't stop smuggling. It will as a matter of fact only make those Custom Bosses / Officials richer.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by compo(m): 6:29am On Dec 16, 2016
i like d way it was banned 4us 2knw what we are capable of with our product. #Godblessnigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 6:34am On Dec 16, 2016
Those in power knows about all these leakages,but deliberately left it open to favor them,and give crumbs to the public..

To me,it's a good move in right direction.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by DEWKID(m): 6:34am On Dec 16, 2016
Ah ya ya ya ya I keep on hoping we'll eat cake by the ocean #FunkyRock
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 16, 2016
How many people will buy innosson when cars like Toyota, Hyundai, Honda keep coming with different specs and modification..if the op were to be asked to choose between innosson and Toyota product...which would you choose?

We're all hypocrites in Nigeria. ...
Both the politicians and we the people. ..

6 Likes

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Pavore9: 6:36am On Dec 16, 2016
The Kenyan government has mastered their art when it comes to car importation. All cars that are meant for their roads must come through their sea port as the vehicle is issued plate number while being cleared at the port.

Going to Tanzania, which is like going to Cotonu to buy cars is cheaper but you are expected to register that car in Tanzania before driving it into Kenya and then the car would be treated as a foreign car and by the time you will be regularly paying some crazy charges for driving a Tanzanian registered car in Kenya, you will not try to be smart again! cheesy

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by kolnel: 6:40am On Dec 16, 2016
As much as it is for the betterment of the country
What happens to the hundreds of dealers that patronize Cotonou legitimately
The tariffs at Nigeria port is way to high, if it's reduced many ppl will rather ship through our port.

1 Like

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 16, 2016
The problem with the Buhari administration is that he wants to cut off his nose to spite his face.
If you make such wholesome policies just to tackle the "rich who are benefiting", the ripple effect trickles down to the poor who don't have as much cash to absorb the shock.
Just take a look at similar policies viz : fuel subsidy, dollar ish, 49 items banned etc

4 Likes

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by seunfape(m): 6:43am On Dec 16, 2016
wagazala:
One sure thing is the ban won't stop smuggling. It will as a matter of fact only make those Custom Bosses / Officials richer.
if Buhari say so ,it will be completely accomplished
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by feodan: 6:47am On Dec 16, 2016
GOD BLESS EVERYBODY THAT IS READING THIS

5 Likes

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 16, 2016
grin grin grin grin

Seme and Idiroko take note.
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 6:48am On Dec 16, 2016
Bbg
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by nextprince: 6:51am On Dec 16, 2016
MyMouth:
I have nothing to say, i don't import cars, i drive them.

It should bother u bro since u drive too. U wouldn't understand now until when that one u drive is tired and need to be changed.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Exponental(m): 6:52am On Dec 16, 2016
The main reason is that this govt is confused and helpless!
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by PHfinest(m): 6:52am On Dec 16, 2016
searching for excuses
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by nextprince: 6:53am On Dec 16, 2016
kolnel:
As much as it is for the betterment of the country
What happens to the hundreds of dealers that patronize Cotonou legitimately
The tariffs at Nigeria port is way to high, if it's reduced many ppl will rather ship through our port.
This is what I was expecting not all these buhari is this buhari is that like the two immediate posts above.
Thumb up bro.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by GMBuhari: 6:54am On Dec 16, 2016
While double duty might affect the cost, Cotonou imports are always cheaper
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Onyenna(m): 6:55am On Dec 16, 2016
Eziokwu !?
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by gudnex22(m): 6:57am On Dec 16, 2016
Because Buhari is greedy and doesn't want poor or avarage Nigerian to drive car except the rich

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World’s First Child Car Seat With Built-in Airbags Goes On Sale Worldwide / 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads / Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.