Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,502 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists (4060 Views)

5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing / Factors Bloggers Should Understand To Improve Blog Traffic. / 5 Things Bloggers Should Understand About Ad Networks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:21am On Dec 16, 2016
Most people normally take blogging as journalism. I wouldn't say that they're totally wrong since the two jobs deal with information distribution. There are many things bloggers can learn from journalists but I'll just put down 4 of those things.

1. Your Posts Should Surround A Particular Niche

Most journalists handle a particular news section of the company they're working for. Due to the workload, they are placed on different sections that they can handle. I don't know why most Nigerian bloggers want to be like "Linda Ikeji", that posts about almost everything. Make your name known in a specific niche .

If I think of Sports Accessories and kits , I think of Nike, Puma and Adidas, if I think of smartphones, I think about Samsung,Infinix, Tecno, etc.
What area will people think about and remember you?

2. Avoiding Plagiarism
There are too many CTRL+C and CTRL+V( copy and paste ) bloggers these days who produce no original content but copy from other people without giving credit. Journalists understand the importance of avoiding plagiarism because they can get sued. Bloggers are not exempted from this too. Google is totally against this too .

3.Avoid Misleading Headlines And Writing False Posts

A journalist who posts an article with a misleading headline can get fired or punished for it. Some Nigerian bloggers are guilty of this.

In a scenario that a farmer takes his chickens in a bus to market and something happens to the bus, an average blogger may twist the topic to " Passengers turn to fowl at Ketu Market". It's quite strange.
Although the online community loves dramatic titles and stories, it won't be nice to lose the trust your readers because you made a false post.

4. Have A Post Schedule

Articles of most journalists that have columns on their various newspapers usually come up on specific days. It's a good way to keep readers engaged.
This helps readers of the column know which day their favorite column would be coming up.
As a blogger keeping a post schedule also makes your readers know when to come back and read new posts.

Did I miss anything?. Let me know.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:21am On Dec 16, 2016

1 Like

Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by BiafranBushBoy: 6:48am On Dec 16, 2016
Nice I must say!!

Are you an article writer, novel writer or someone who enjoys reading stories, do well to visit

www.topwritersden.com
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by Onyejemechimere(m): 6:58am On Dec 16, 2016
Nice
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by AnodaIT(m): 8:37am On Dec 16, 2016
so?
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2016
Nice one
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by Bigajeff(m): 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2016
On point, techy
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by miqos02(m): 9:36pm On Dec 16, 2016
ok
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 9:37pm On Dec 16, 2016
AnodaIT:
so?
What's your problem?
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 12:25am On Dec 17, 2016
Bigajeff:
On point, techy
Thanks bro
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by realGURU(m): 6:47am On Dec 17, 2016
@ NaijaTechGuy , my niche is physics tutorials , see my blog and tell what you think about it www.physicslectures.info
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by histemple: 6:57am On Dec 17, 2016
The scenario in No. 3 got me cracked up big time. Extremely comic.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by seunlly(m): 6:58am On Dec 17, 2016
And what again
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by DjAndroid: 7:04am On Dec 17, 2016
Most people think that journalism is an all-comers profession.

A lot of bloggers write rubbish all in the name of writing news. To be a very successful blogger, have at least a little knowledge of journalism.

One doesn't need to go to school to have this knowledge. Educate yourself, read books on journalism for beginners.

1 Like

Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by Donald3d(m): 7:06am On Dec 17, 2016
.......Not bad....Nice points....... check my signature guys.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by gsainttrinity(m): 7:19am On Dec 17, 2016
The one I hate the most is deceptive headline. that one is unforgivable, I mean after luring you with headlines like "see the man who died and went to heaven" for you to click to see it was only metaphorical.

data is too expensive to a be wasting on irrelevant post.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by Herolord: 7:19am On Dec 17, 2016
Wao.. you really made a point @techguy. nice one
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by helinues: 8:30am On Dec 17, 2016
On point
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by ibietela2(m): 8:34am On Dec 17, 2016
First of all Samsung is into many things so make your research well next time.

Some of your points are correct.

When you hear https://www.healthable.org you think of Health and Wellness
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by OBALORLA(m): 8:38am On Dec 17, 2016
I think patience too should be added to the list

bloggers just like journalists should cultivate the virtues of patience.
success is built with time.
if you expect to blow within ur first year, you might get disappointed because this blogging shi can frustrate ur entire life especially during the first 2 years.

well-done @9jatechguy

this my blog got Adsense within its first 5 months.
my niche: travels and tourism
URL: www.nomadicnegro.com

patience is a virtue.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by henryboff(m): 8:38am On Dec 17, 2016
Bloggers should reduce the amebo! Maybe like one lie lie in every ten stories is okay.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by miqos02(m): 8:48am On Dec 17, 2016
henryboff:
Bloggers should reduce the amebo! Maybe like one lie lie in every ten stories is okay.
na lie dey sell pass, nigerians love liars
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by Rainmaker69(m): 8:51am On Dec 17, 2016
You left out the most important thing- VERIFY FACTS BEFORE GOING LIVE!
Use your brain to ask questions before rushing to post junk from Pluto.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by gistsstack(m): 8:56am On Dec 17, 2016
I'm not taking a shot at anybody, but I must say this..NAIJ has the most misleading and click bait headlines.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 17, 2016
It will help if nairaland only pushes post from 'accredited' blogs to the homepage.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 10:28am On Dec 17, 2016
histemple:
The scenario in No. 3 got me cracked up big time. Extremely comic.
grin grin ..some bloggers are like that nah..
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 10:31am On Dec 17, 2016
gistsstack:
I'm not taking a shot at anybody, but I must say this..NAIJ has the most misleading and click bait headlines.
It's basically part of the strategy getting more views, though I don't see anything wrong with Naij. Some bloggers like being too dramatic. Posts with headlines like - See the poorest men in Nigeria- No 7 will shock you grin grin..
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 10:32am On Dec 17, 2016
miqos02:
na lie dey sell pass, nigerians love liars
grin grin
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 1:45pm On Dec 17, 2016
Rainmaker69:
You left out the most important thing- VERIFY FACTS BEFORE GOING LIVE!
Use your brain to ask questions before rushing to post junk from Pluto.
true talk
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by NaijaTechGuy(m): 1:50pm On Dec 17, 2016
realGURU:
@ NaijaTechGuy , my niche is physics tutorials , see my blog and tell what you think about it www.physicslectures.info

I think you should expand your blog a bit . Don't limit it to just physics .You could create a blog in the education niche . Once the education blog gets popular you link to the physics blog for those who wish to learn physics.

The niche is unique but the chances of the blog getting a good rank is very low .Education will be better.
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by wowmenow: 1:56pm On Dec 17, 2016
Nice post
Re: 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists by realGURU(m): 2:09pm On Dec 17, 2016
NaijaTechGuy:

I think you should expand your blog a bit . Don't limit it to just physics .You could create a blog in the education niche . Once the education blog gets popular you link to the physics blog for those who wish to learn physics.

The niche is unique but the chances of the blog getting a good rank is very low .Education will be better.
thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] / Eset, Nitda Move To Secure Nigeria’s Cyber Space / How To Build A Livescore Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.