Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. (8069 Views)

Guns, Sex And Arrogance: I Hated Everything About America — Until I Moved Here / How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by buffnaija: 6:51pm On Nov 15, 2009
1. THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS DEEP IN DEBT.

THOSE BIG HOUSES U SEE THEM LIVING IN  ARE PAID FOR WITH BORROWED MONEY. IF THEY DONT PAY THEIR MONTHLY MORTGAGE , THEY GET KICKED OUT. THEY DONT OWN THOSE HOUSES.

The cars they drive, most are paid for with loans. 80 percent of all car sales are backed by loans.

their clothes and electronics, most are paid for with credit cards.

2. Americans are not welcoming.

A lot of Whites dont like blacks, and even blacks dont like africans. dont expect a friendly disney world. Expect to be told to "go back to africa". Your children will be made fun in school and will come back home crying. trust me , numerous stories abound.

3. MOst americans are working class and theres poverty here.

Dont believe the hype you see on TV. most people dont live like Jay Z or Puff Daddy. America has a huge working poor that they dont show and they want you to come and join them too, so if you think u will be working in an office anytime soon, then sorry.You have many people that live paycheck to paycheck. Theres also substantial poverty here ,you have 35 million americans that depend on government food programs . yes thats right 35 million americans depend on government for food.

4. America has the largest prison system in the world.

and most of the prisoners are black. theres a huge population of black people in prison, and even in some neighbourhoods if you are black and never been to prison, they look at u like u are not normal. by last count, there were something like 1,000,000 black men in americas prison. thats about 1 in 7 black men in america locked up. think about that 1 million blacks !!! even Nigeria does not have that many criminals. So if u are a black guy , people treat you suspiciously and if u ever got caught up with the law , you might not get a fair chance.

2 Likes

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by walakolobo: 7:15pm On Nov 15, 2009
and i have also seen hundreds of homeless people in America, especially in Hollywood where most people who love America so much here doesnt have the luxury of visiting, I have seen people live under the bridges, I have seen poor and poverty ridden shackles where people live, it is not as painted by those ones who only have a few opportunity and think they are in paradise.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Nwaka77: 2:59am On Nov 16, 2009
buffnaija:

THOSE BIG HOUSES U SEE THEM LIVING IN ARE PAID FOR WITH BORROWED MONEY. IF THEY DONT PAY THEIR MONTHLY MORTGAGE , THEY GET KICKED OUT. THEY DONT OWN THOSE HOUSES.

The cars they drive, most are paid for with loans. 80 percent of all car sales are backed by loans.

A lot of Whites dont like blacks, and even blacks dont like africans. dont expect a friendly disney world. Expect to be told to "go back to africa". Your children will be made fun in school and will come back home crying. trust me , numerous stories abound.

Dont believe the hype you see on TV. most people dont live like Jay Z or Puff Daddy. America has a huge working poor that they dont show and they want you to come and join them too, so if you think u will be working in an office anytime soon, then sorry.You have many people that live paycheck to paycheck. Theres also substantial poverty here ,you have 35 million americans that depend on government food programs . yes thats right 35 million americans depend on government for food.

and most of the prisoners are black. theres a huge population of black people in prison, and even in some neighbourhoods if you are black and never been to prison, they look at u like u are not normal. by last count, there were something like 1,000,000 black men in americas prison. thats about 1 in 7 black men in america locked up. think about that 1 million blacks !!! even Nigeria does not have that many criminals. So if u are a black guy , people treat you suspiciously and if u ever got caught up with the law , you might not get a fair chance.

So true!
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by bawomolo(m): 3:19am On Nov 16, 2009
This is old news, most people know about the sub-prime mortgage crisis and foreclosures.

you aren't revealing anything here.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Moff(m): 3:21am On Nov 16, 2009
What is your problem about the way we live in the US? Do U want to die before U live in a big house or drive your dream car?. It is only in America U can live in paradise here before in Heaven. You can also live in Hell here if you can not work hard and play by the law. Life is cool in America $1.00 =N150.00 habee! smiley
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by SeanT21(f): 5:42am On Nov 16, 2009
SO?? lipsrsealed
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by chika98: 7:02am On Nov 16, 2009
Buffnaija is now on NL dropping knowlegde.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by walesbanks(m): 11:40am On Nov 16, 2009
Well, nice one, but that is your opinion. America is a land of opportunities. Opportunities abounds everyday. There is no country in the world that you wont find traces of poverty, Do you look at the positive side of a thing or the negative side? I advise you to always focus on the positive coz there are two sides to a coin.
WE ALL LOOK BUT WE SEE DIFFERENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Kx: 11:57am On Nov 16, 2009
A friend who got to God's Own Land thru the DV visa lottery called in and said.
''o boy america nor be wetin i think o' d guy has bn on ground for close to
8months now,no job.He was asked to get a driving license b4 he could land a job.
My guy has schooled and read for the license,he has it now,still job hunting.

Meanwhile,his wife and kid are here waiting,enduring and praying for him.

I did not expect him to have issues issues since he got there with DV.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by buffnaija: 2:14pm On Nov 16, 2009
chika98:

Buffnaija is now on NL dropping knowlegde.

hey so. shey u know me before
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by buffnaija: 2:14pm On Nov 16, 2009
Moff:

What is your problem about the way we live in the US? Do U want to die before U live in a big house or drive your dream car?. It is only in America U can live in paradise here before in Heaven. You can also live in Hell here if you can not work hard and play by the law. Life is cool in America $1.00 =N150.00 habee! smiley

well its fake and deceptive wealth.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by paddylo1(m): 3:08pm On Nov 16, 2009
well its fake and deceptive wealth.

technically speaking Nigeria is richer or nigerians are richer than americans,for example the U.S has a total debt of $12,000,000,000,000, and rising(thats 12 trillion),and Nigeria has basically no debt,everymajor development in america is built on debt,but its okay though hopefully they can raise taxes and pay down the huge debt before it leads to another global depression in the next few yrs
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Vicjustice: 5:08pm On Nov 16, 2009
buffnaija:

. . . .even Nigeria does not have that many criminals. So if u are a black guy , people treat you suspiciously and if u ever got caught up with the law , you might not get a fair chance.
Nigeria has far more than that number of criminals, from its grass root to its tree top; there's just not enough justice system to nail them.

1 Like

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by agathamari(f): 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2009
Vicjustice:

Nigeria has far more than that number of criminals, from its grass root to its tree top; there's just not enough justice system to nail them.
agreed. in some areas of the us speeding on the highways will land you in jail, in nigeria noone pays breaking traffic laws any mind. doesn mean they arent crminals just that arnt prosicuted

BTW 1in 6 americans cant afford to put food on the table. 70,000 homeless in Los Angelos county ALONE. people for 200 hundred years have felt America was the land where the streets are paved in gold, instead it is the land where the streets are washed in the tears and blood of the working class. george carlin said it right "those who believe the american dream is true are sleeping". i still have people to this day telling me there is no such thing as poor in the us, no homeless, no dirt roads, no power outages and everything looks like it does on wisteria land (desperate housewives)

2 Likes

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by DisGuy: 5:08pm On Nov 17, 2009
my friend you still want the visa or not? grin
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by phuckNL: 8:49pm On Nov 17, 2009
buffnaija:

THOSE BIG HOUSES U SEE THEM LIVING IN ARE PAID FOR WITH BORROWED MONEY. IF THEY DONT PAY THEIR MONTHLY MORTGAGE , THEY GET KICKED OUT. THEY DONT OWN THOSE HOUSES.

Absolute rubbish. You are not revealing anything that we don't already know.
Let me ask you this question : Isn't it better to get a mortgage at the age of 21-23yrs and live in your dream house which you will own after 20-30yrs in the US of A than to live in Nigeria and work for 20 - 30 yrs before you can afford to buy land?

By the way, the car note and mortgage that you are screaming about has also been in existence for ages. It is only restricted to those that have "meaningful" jobs in nigeria because we dont have a credit rating system. Companies give out house loans and car loans to their staffs. Thats why most of the workers (especially oil workers) that have all their money getting to their account because these loans have been removed before giving them their final salary.

I would rather drive a Bugatti and live in a Mansion on credit than own nothing in Nigeria, save for 10yrs, only for a thief to come one day and steal everything. Mind you, the thief could be your account officer, bank C.E.O or even armed robbers.

My point : stop hating. Their system works. If it didn't people will stop immigrating.

1 Like

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by 9ja4eva: 1:19am On Nov 18, 2009
@Poster.True talk that is.Most people are carried away with the lies people abroad tell them back home.

NOTHING FOR HERE FOR ANYBODY.LET THE TRUTH BE SAID.CREDIT!CREDIT!!CREDIT!!!
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by symbian03(m): 9:17am On Nov 18, 2009
So those who dey complain should get their return ticket asap. Abi now, there are always two ways to everything in life either yes/no or either good/bad. Can we also talk bout the successful nigerians who's in da state? Estimation abeg.

1 Like

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by agathamari(f): 6:57pm On Nov 18, 2009
paddy_lo:

technically speaking Nigeria is richer or nigerians are richer than americans,for example the U.S has a total debt of $12,000,000,000,000, and rising(thats 12 trillion),and Nigeria has basically no debt,everymajor development in america is built on debt,but its okay though hopefully they can raise taxes and pay down the huge debt before it leads to another global depression in the next few yrs
yes but the national debt of the us includes all the money we are loaned as well as what we loan other countries including the $150 million that was sent to Nigeria in 2008
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by paddylo1(m): 10:10pm On Nov 18, 2009
yes but the national debt of the us includes all the money we are loaned as well as what we loan other countries including the $150 million that was sent to Nigeria in 2008

girl dont even start on a topic u know nothing about,not with me not on finance,and u just sound ignorant with what u just posted above
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Bossman(m): 12:35am On Nov 19, 2009
Every country has its problems. I will tell you this. I good credit system is an indication of how structured and strong financially a country is. Wealth is built on credit. What the ability to attain credit does is unbelievable. Yes a lot of us live in this country with big homes, also a lot of us are close to paying off these big homes. Without the credit system that allows us to buy homes very early in live, this will not be possible. The key thing is not to abuse the credit and the financial powers that it gives you. Why do you think a lot of developed countries have a lot of wealthy people.

Why do you think the financial institutions in Nigeria are trying so much to establish a credit system in the country. Credit is power!

BTW, from the tone of your post, it seems like the USA is not working out for you or you.

2 Likes

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by yardis: 10:03am On Nov 19, 2009
hi everyone, i am about filling the eea family permit form for my planned relocation to join my latvian wife who is based in the u.k.
In the form,there are 2 questions : 1. how long do u intend to stay in the u.k? 2. on which date will u leave the u.k?
I am confused! Why shd they ask these questions when the purpose of filling and applying for the eea family permit is to live happily ever after with my latvian wife in the u.k?
I need your suggestions, thanx.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by AjanleKoko: 10:12am On Nov 19, 2009
Nice post.
A lot of misconceptions are here. Firstly, a credit system is necessary, because even governments, big businesses, etc, need credit to extend their current reach. Credit ensures that goods and services can continue to be produced, financing for future business.
I.e. if there's no credit, goods won't be recycled frequently, and production will be stagnated, etc.

If I have a car, and have to save for 10 years to buy a new one, the car companies will produce far less, and people will be out of a job as a result. Ditto for home financing. New homes won't be built, since people cannot afford to buy the existing ones.

Come to think of it, it is because of credit in places like the US that 96% of the cars on the road in Nigeria are even there. If cars are not recycled to Nigeria, nobody would be able to buy new cars in Nigeria, and we would all be dependent on public transport, which doesn't really exist.
Nowadays there is financing for cars, housing, and even household utilities in Nigeria, which has boosted sales of these items, and technically provided more jobs for Kia, LG, and all the realtors developing in the Lekki axis, for instance.

As per prison system, etc. There are much more criminals in Nigeria, just that they never get caught. I mean, organized crime in Nigeria is not the mob; it is government, the armed forces, police, and what have you.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Pennywise(m): 10:40am On Nov 19, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Nice post.
A lot of misconceptions are here. Firstly, a credit system is necessary, because even governments, big businesses, etc, need credit to extend their current reach. Credit ensures that goods and services can continue to be produced, financing for future business.
I.e. if there's no credit, goods won't be recycled frequently, and production will be stagnated, etc.

If I have a car, and have to save for 10 years to buy a new one, the car companies will produce far less, and people will be out of a job as a result. Ditto for home financing. New homes won't be built, since people cannot afford to buy the existing ones.

Come to think of it, it is because of credit in places like the US that 96% of the cars on the road in Nigeria are even there. If cars are not recycled to Nigeria, nobody would be able to buy new cars in Nigeria, and we would all be dependent on public transport, which doesn't really exist.
Nowadays there is financing for cars, housing, and even household utilities in Nigeria, which has boosted sales of these items, and technically provided more jobs for Kia, LG, and all the realtors developing in the Lekki axis, for instance.

As per prison system, etc. There are much more criminals in Nigeria, just that they never get caught. I mean, organized crime in Nigeria is not the mob; it is government, the armed forces, police, and what have you.

There is no doubt credit makes the system work. But the individual pays the price in being a prisoner to it in a supposedly free society. In Nigeria if you have a house it is your property and you can confidently bequeath to your dependent. No bank is coming to evict them on account of your being unable to meet mortgage terms. The same thing goes for virtually everything-cars, even cell phones etc.

Everything depends on who is making the choice.To some people the thought of being indebted to any institution especially on a personal level is unacceptable. But to others,kini big deal?
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by scottN(m): 10:44am On Nov 19, 2009
Every system being operated comes with a price. True that the credit system is favoring America allowing for faster development and innovations because money is continuously pumped into d system, however it leaves behind a trial of debts. And that's why the American's debt will continue to grow.Also the only way one can enjoy this credit scheme is via security so if u don't have security such as a good job or flourishing business no one will lend u this credit. In Nigeria it is debit driven sort of and that's why is easier to live a mediocre lifestyle than a luxurious one. In America, good security without necessary having liquid  cash can get u a luxurious much faster with a price of financial indebtedness .
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by paddylo1(m): 1:37pm On Nov 19, 2009
hi everyone, i am about filling the eea family permit form for my planned relocation to join my latvian wife who is based in the u.k.
In the form,there are 2 questions : 1. how long do u intend to stay in the u.k? 2. on which date will u leave the u.k?
I am confused! Why shd they ask these questions when the purpose of filling and applying for the eea family permit is to live happily ever after with my latvian wife in the u.k?
I need your suggestions, thanx.

i dont know about the uk,but most times over here u fill forms that have parts of it that dont apply to you,so u might want to skip it or maybe put a date just for show
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by agathamari(f): 4:13pm On Nov 19, 2009
paddy_lo:

girl dont even start on a topic u know nothing about,not with me not on finance,and u just sound ignorant with what u just posted above
oh im sorry it wasnt $150 million it was $491 million which went to nigeria in 2008.  the us spent $26 billion on foriegn aid in 2008.  all of teh govt spending including foriegn aid agaist GDP gives you what we overspent.  so yes foiegn aid DOES add to the national debt.  the us sells treasury bonds to other countries like China as well as private individuals to offset some of the overspending which in the end this "loaning" of money from foriegn/domestic investors costs us money also increeasing the debt.  though in $ the us has the highest national debt.  in terms of GDP vs debt japan has the highest ration of 170% (debt equals 170% of yearly GDP while the us is about 61%) among the developed nations nigeria isnt debt free thier debt is over $9 billion

i know the map is like 2 years old but you get the point

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by No2Atheism(m): 4:17pm On Nov 19, 2009
People now ask yourself the question:

- Who gave out these so called loans.
- Who is benefitting.
- To whom or who is the debt being owed.

Trying to answer the above questions is bound to help you understand how the world works . . . and there is something called The Global Elite . . who are doing there best to enslave all of mankind.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by agathamari(f): 5:12pm On Nov 19, 2009
No2Atheism:

- Who is benefitting.

Trying to answer the above questions is bound to help you understand how the world works . . . and there is something called The Global Elite . . who are doing there best to enslave all of mankind.
global elite?  who brunei, luxembourg and norway which are without a debt.  debt is the diffence between national spending vs. gross domestic product.  also called "the ballance of trade"  its not debt like you owe to a bank. there isnt anyone saying pay me the money or ill forclose your country. think of it on simpler terms you and your friends loaning each other a qarter or a dime every now and again (the total adds up but noone is standing there saying remeber all those quarters i gave you? pay up) look at the chart below.  majority of the us debt is "owned" by government progams and taxpayers.  some by private companies some by forign governments.  all the countries that hold part of the us debt they themselves have debt and the us "owns" part of thier debt.   look at the UK they "own" part of our debt but yet there percentage of external debt is almost 5 times that of the us almost all countries have a national debt.

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by SeanT21(f): 5:57pm On Nov 19, 2009
No2Atheism:

- Who is benefitting.

LMAO~`na waa for u oo.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by buffnaija: 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2009
agathamari:

oh im sorry it wasnt $150 million it was $491 million which went to nigeria in 2008.  the us spent $26 billion on foriegn aid in 2008.  all of teh govt spending including foriegn aid agaist GDP gives you what we overspent.  so yes foiegn aid DOES add to the national debt.  the us sells treasury bonds to other countries like China as well as private individuals to offset some of the overspending which in the end this "loaning" of money from foriegn/domestic investors costs us money also increeasing the debt.  though in $ the us has the highest national debt.  in terms of GDP vs debt japan has the highest ration of 170% (debt equals 170% of yearly GDP while the us is about 61%) among the developed nations nigeria isnt debt free thier debt is over $9 billion

i know the map is like 2 years old but you get the point

AND HOW MANY BILLIONS OF DOLLARS DOES AMERICA EXTRACT IN OIL WEALTH FROM NIGERIA EVERY YEAR?

get lost with ur forieng aid nosnsense.

america is a country built on debt .

i doubt that nigeria has 9 billion in debt. thats simply not true.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by buffnaija: 6:04pm On Nov 19, 2009
I AM NOT REALLY AGAINST THEIR SYSTEM. ACTUALLY I THINK ITS ONE THAT NAIJA SHOULD EMULATE. BECAUSE LETS FACE IT, WITHOUT A MODERN CREDIT SYSTEM THEN YOU REALLY CANT HAVE A MODERN ECONOMY.

BUT WHAT INFRURIATES ME IS THE DECEPTION.

PEOPLE ALL AROUND THE WORLD SEE THESE HOUSES AND THEY ACTUALLY BELIVE THAT AMERICANS OWN THOSE HOUSES- THAT IS , THEY BELIEVE THOSE HOUSES ARE PAID FOR. SAME WITH THE CARS AND ALL. BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT ISNT THE CASE.

SO THATS THE ONE THING THAT IRKS ME.

US HAS THE MOST DEBT

MOST CORPORATE DEBT

MOST CONSUMER DEBT

MOST MORTGAGE DEBT.

ITS ALL DEBT DEBT DEBT.

AND THATS what everybody needs to know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic / Issues Arising From Green Card Through Marriage / Dana Air Commences Flights To Kaduna…promises On-time Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.