Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 (46255 Views)

How Much Will It Cost To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat In Benin City? / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little / Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by ademolashittu(m): 8:05am On Jan 13, 2017
Choose an Executive Agent for your real estate needs. 
Call ADEMOLA SHITTU when you want to MANAGE, BUY or SELL house/land.

. We can show you any home forsale anywhere you want it 

. FREE market analysis to determine your home/land value

. FREE consultation

Tel: 09063627937
Email: shinninglightproperties@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by HULKACOMPANY(m): 8:15am On Jan 13, 2017
HULKA STEEL DOOR MANUFACTURER COMPANY TURKEY
We are ready to export Steel Doors as you want with many models
MOBILE NUMBER:+905327755012
(Whatsapp,and other applications)
E-MAIL: hulkacompany@gmail.com

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 9:14pm On Jan 21, 2017
HI ALL.

Sorry for the long break - I've been busy writing articles not related to buildings....

We'll continue with our pricing early next week.

Stay Tuned and Remember, A Comfortable House Pays Off......

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Imoy(m): 7:51am On Jan 24, 2017
saydfact:
HI ALL.

Sorry for the long break - I've been busy writing articles not related to buildings....

We'll continue with our pricing early next week.

Stay Tuned and Remember, A Comfortable House Pays Off......
Tor i been tink say u don go leave

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 2:51pm On Jan 24, 2017
No7: Tiles (Next up for estimate is tiling works)

Welcome after such a long break.

For tiling we'll assume all floors would be tiles and only toilet and bathroom walls up-to 2.1m (lintel level) would receive tiles.

From the drawings attached:

a. Total Floor Area of Bedroom, Lobbies etc = 37.98m2
b. Living / Dinning room = 37.10m2
c. Toilets and bathroom (floor) = 9.16m2
d. Toilets and bathroom (wall) = 24.9 * 2.1 = 52.29m2
e. Kitchen and store = 16.99m2

Total Square Meter = 105m2 (approx)

The reason we separated the areas is because we would use slightly more expensive tiles in the public spaces e.g living room than in the private spaces e.g bedroom

Rates of Tiles for:
a. @ N2,200 per square meter = 84K
b. @ N3,350 per square meter = 125K
c. @ N1,250 per square meter = 12K
d. @ N1,200 per square meter = 63K
e. @ N1,200 per square meter = 21K

Total Material Cost: N305,000:00k (to reduce cost of material, you could go for cheaper floor tiles especially in the Living and Bedroom areas, or change totally to cheaper options like Rubber (Nasco) tiles in the private spaces e.g Bedrooms)

Transportation Cost: N20k (depending on distance of purchase)
Labour Cost: 105 * 450/m2 = approx 50k
Sand 20 tonnes = 55k (Max)
Cement = about 30 bags @ N2350 = 71k
miscellaneous = 10k

Total in this Section: 196k

Grand Total: N501,000:00K (Five Hundred and One Thousand Naira Only)

No8:
To Be Continued:
Stay Tuned.... THANKS.

6 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 3:05pm On Jan 24, 2017
cc: jospepper, Imoy, greenermodels, ShegzyB, seunoj, Sikay19, eddyline, Bravoe, currentbrand

4 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by eddyline(m): 4:03pm On Jan 24, 2017
saydfact:
cc: jospepper, Imoy, greenermodels, ShegzyB, seunoj, Sikay19, eddyline, Bravoe, currentbrand
following.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Imoy(m): 5:08pm On Jan 24, 2017
Nice work. Still following

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by buzzetin(m): 6:06pm On Jan 24, 2017
Welcome back sir, I enjoy following your posts. Quite educative and informative.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by greenermodels: 7:19pm On Jan 24, 2017
saydfact:
nice, keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by jospepper(m): 1:39pm On Jan 26, 2017
saydfact:
Thanks, following.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Macbroomy: 4:24pm On Jan 26, 2017
saydfact:

For tiling we'll assume all floors would be tiles and only toilet and bathroom walls up-to 2.1m (lintel level) would receive tiles.

The reason we separated the areas is because we would use slightly more expensive tiles in the public spaces e.g living room than in the private spaces e.g bedroom

Rates of Tiles for:

Total Material Cost: N305,000:00k (to reduce cost of material, you could go for cheaper floor tiles especially in the Living and Bedroom areas, or change totally to cheaper options like Rubber (Nasco) tiles in the private spaces e.g Bedrooms)

miscellaneous = 10k

No8:
To Be Continued:
Stay Tuned.... THANKS.

Thanks for sharing this. I have actually been searching where I could find how tiler charges. Now, I am better informed. The guy tiling my house actually plans to rip me off but with this information now, I am better equipped to negotiate well with him. Once again, thank you and God bless you richly for this

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 4:48pm On Jan 26, 2017
Macbroomy:

Thanks for sharing this. I have actually been searching where I could find how tiler charges. Now, I am better informed. The guy tiling my house actually plans to rip me off but with this information now, I am better equipped to negotiate well with him. Once again, thank you and God bless you richly for this

Waoh - Thanks, I appreciate & I'm motivated to write on.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by seunoj: 6:18am On Jan 27, 2017
@saydfact. Thanks sharing this costly information for free. you ve done well.
pls what is take on Nigerite Crown tile French (cement fibre roofing sheet). What is the cost compared to the regular aluminum sheet.
Your honest position is highly appreciated.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by olatoyib: 12:14pm On Jan 27, 2017
saydfact:

Rates of Tiles for:

miscellaneous = 10k

No8:
To Be Continued:
Stay Tuned.... THANKS.

Thanks for the valuable Knowledge . I think Plastering and Rendering should come before tiles activities

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by abbeyboy2o15(m): 12:18pm On Jan 27, 2017
saydfact:
Based on the many questions asked the last time out (see: https://www.nairaland.com/3502464/how-build-comfortable-house-earning ) we would go more into details, best working practice, cost implications and questions & answer using the attached plan as our case studies.... i.e we would arrive at an approximate cost of building the house attached.

(We would not be considering government determined processes e.g approval - it is practically impossible to get that info here - visit your local authorities for help)

No1: Preliminaries:
Under Preliminaries we refer to those activities that should be done, considered or made ready before the actual construction process begins. Most times we ignore this process forgetting how important it is. On a couple of occasion, I've visited people's site to help with foundation works only to discover there is a big tree or root where the building is located..

Other times, there is no access to drop materials or there is no provision for water (both for work and for workers to have their bath)

Now what are the important preliminaries we would be considering?

* Clear the bushes, cut the trees & uproot, except trees fall about 3m from building location.
* Buy a small tank for water storage or rent one for the time being (we would safe cash on this later).
* Ensure the tipper delivering materials can get to your site i.e all materials are dropped on your site.
* Ensure you negotiate with the Omo-onile on how much you're expected to pay before the day of foundation - but preferably, don't give them the money until the day of actual foundation works. Most times there is a fraction, and the fraction that didnt get the money would still disturb you. Giving while work is ongoing is perfect because both fraction would have representatives present.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Clearing and uprooting of trees (N5,000-7N,000 would clear your site while N10,000 would clear and uproot all trees)
* Water (find out how much a small tank goes for but it cost about N3,000 to rent & fill a tank of water)
* Workmen usually charge you extra if the material is not dropped on your site, because they also have to pay workers to move the material to the site. This sometimes is a lot we're talking about.
* Omo-onile could charge as much as N50k to 100k depending on your location.

>> Labour Cost: 10k

SUMMARY: The cost in this section are dependent on so many factors; its almost impossible to put a figure to it; my advice would be to safe about N100k for this section; most of that being fees paid to Omo-onile.

No2: Works Below Ground

Works in this sections include (but not limited to)
a. Setting Out
b. Digging
c. Foundation
d. Block-works to foundation
e. Filling
f. German floor

A. Setting Out: The bricklayers claim we waste money by using profiles (setting out using wood and ropes) but they often create problems with their method of setting out using blocks. Since this thread is not about anybody but professional practices, we'll consider setting out with profiles.

Materials Needed: (Based on the attached design)
1x12 plank = 4pcs, each sliced into 4 each.
Pegs = 32 pcs approx 3 dozen
Nails = 2" and 3" - buy about N1000 worth
Ropes = 4 bundles each at about N200

Workmen Needed:
One carpenter or anyone that can handle the hammer = Daily pay
One experienced Supervisor = If its an experienced bricklayer Zero Naira except he's not also doing the actual work, if you're getting a supervisor for this price would be around N10k.
The diggers or at least one of them = Cost wld be analyzed below.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Planks: 4 x 1200 = 4800
Cost of Slicing per line = N70 x 3lines = N210 x 4planks = N840
* Pegs: 3 dozens x 1200 = 3600
* Nails = N1000
* Ropes = N1000

>> Labour Cost - 12.5K

With a total of about N11,500 (material cost) - paying this amount to ensure your house is properly set out isn't bad investment - if your bricklayer is experienced thats good, you can however get someone to set it out for you for additional N5-N10K depending on your relationship with him or her. (Personally I do this most time for free if I designed the structure to ensure some in-experienced guys don't spoil/change my hard worked design)

B. Digging: The books recommend about 900mm depth for foundation but practically, its almost impossible to achieve this on very solid soil we're considering. If you can get your workers to achieve 450mm - 600mm depth great and a width of 675mm

If your plan like mine is to do a German floor, there is no need to dig out some wall partition - but if you have a plan to continue without German floor, then all wall partition should be dug (although I don't advice my clients to use the second method; I must be realistic that it comes with an initial cost most are not willing to spend)

ADVICE: I still recommend using experienced guys, people who are used to digging foundation (don't get the Hausa guy that cleared your site to dig because he did a good clearing work, or the Ibo / Yoruba guy because he claims he's done it before). The advantages are those doing this work are:
- Quicker
- They dig straight and ensure a level surface (makes it easy for the bricklayer)
- Saves time and material
- They charge appropriately.

The attached structure would cost you about 30K to dig; with six (6) quality hands digging, you should have it completed in a day or early hours of day 2; still in time for the foundation (concrete pouring) works.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Digging = N30,000 - N35,000
* Water for workmen = N1,000 (about 5 bags of pure water).

>> Labour cost - N35k

Note: We would give individual cost, but after each section add up to help your bargaining power - it means if all works sum up to say 30 naira, you can give all works out to the bricklayer at 25 naira - you're only asking for discount for giving him so much at once. #wink

C. Foundation: This is the first of many important works and where most people unnecessary save material and money; infact most bricklayers would even help you save here NOT BECAUSE THEY CARE but because it means less work for them at the same price of the actual work.

Normally the standard foundation thickness should be at about 150 - 175mm for bungalows (remember we're building on solid soil) yet you find some people using as little as 50mm - 75mm ie 2" - 3" - You end up using about 15 bags of cement, then claim the professional wanted to cheat you by recommending 35 bags - NO; the professionals' calculation was based on a standard 150mm thick foundation, what you did was 50mm or 75mm. Lets hope your house can withstand the weight to come.

MY ADVICE: Ensure your bricklayer starts from one corner and transfer levels across to the others - to ensure a level plain for the block works, if the foundation was dug well leveled, this should be a easy process. Every good bricklayer knows the importance of having a level plain; cheap labour is most times bad for the job. avoid picking your workmen based on cost only, especially if you're doing it yourself.

Materials Needed:
Volume of Concrete = 101.55m x 0.675m x 0.10m = 6.85m3 (based on attached design)
Cement (approx) = 27 - 30 bags
Sand: 20 tonnes (this should serve for all works minus German floor)
Granite: 30 tonnes (recommended) or 15 tonnes (being the minimum you should purchase)

* If you cant afford Granite, then buy Double tipper of gravel, however ask your supplier to ensure it doesn't have too much of sand, you could add the phrase "I'll reject it if sand is too much" - makes the supplier more alert to ensuring you get the best possible. Don't expect a miracle, gravel are mined with sand.

COST IMPLICATION:
Material Cost:
Granite (15 tonnes) = 60k - 65k
Granite (30 tonnes) = about 110k - 125k
Gravel (Double tipper) = 35k to Ikorodu;
Sharp sand (Double tipper) = 30k in Ikorodu; 55k to Mowe/Ibafo
Cement = N2,350 / bag (including transportation)

>> Labour cost - 25k

Note: Depending on your negotiation with your bricklayer, you might have to pay for renting of tools eg shovels, wheelbarrow etc, however, this shouldn't cost too much its about N100-N200 per day for most tools.

D. Block-works to Foundation: My recommendation here is even when you intend to build with 150mm (6"wink blocks, ensure you use quality 225mm (9"wink blocks for the foundation. We can't guarantee the strongest 6" is what you've brought so; spend a little more and safe your building. (I am aware that Ghanaian however build with 6" - solid block even in storey building)

Materials Needed:
9" Block @ 4 courses = 910 pcs (including waste). 9" cost btw N150 - N180 while 6" cost about N160 each, depending on quality and location.
Cement = 15 bags should do the job (Most times, there is a few left over from the foundation - so you'll only buy the balance) - Don't forget all calculation considers waste, so the less you waste, they more you save.

Sand? No, we've got enough

>> Labour cost - 50k

Since I recommended in my previous article that we negotiate all works above at once, lets see how much labour cost we have:
Setting out = 10k
Digging = 35k
Foundation = 25k
Block setting = 50k (see previous post if you need a hint on how we arrived at 50k)

Total: 122.5k we didn't add the 10k for site clearing (Now, how well can you negotiate?) - Put that to good use.

E. Filling: I actually don't advice anyone buys filling solely for this purpose, you would dig your septic tank / soak away one day, where would you put the filling? Probably pay to get it out of your site or sell at very cheap price. SO! DIG YOUR SEPTIC TANK and use the discarded filling for this purpose.

If you don't get enough filling to level your site, you'll only need to buy a few more trucks. see No3 below for detail of material and cost implication on septic tank.

Note: If you're using this option, then ensure you have enough cash to complete the septic tank/soak away 90% - 10% being the slab cover.

F. German floor: I recommend you do this, but I most also note that it comes with some cost implication. We'll analyze the cost below, then you can weigh your pocket.

Total Floor Area: 113.63m2
Volume of Concrete: 11.34m3

We'll try and generate a rate per m3 in-case you have a different design and volume.....hmmm, that rate would be N2500. (pls note that this rate does not work for decking and doesn't work if you're using machine)

Keep 5K at hand, the omo oniles' no dey take eye see concrete...

COST IMPLICATION:
Materials Needed:
Cement: 35 - 40 bags (4" thick)
Sand: 20 tonnes
Granite: 15 tonnes (but if you brought 30 tonnes initially, you're covered)

>> Labour Cost: 30K

No3: Septic Tank & Soak Away

Lets pick a size; but depending on your site that site might vary. In the previous article, my cousin had very little setback (remember I told you the site is less than half plots (18x18) - so, we picked a narrow width and a very long length to compensate.

Let's use Septic-Tank size of 2.4m width 3.0m length x 3.0m depth and Soak-Away 1.8m x 1.8m x 1.8m

COST IMPLICATION:
Materials Needed:
Septic Tank = 280 (9" blocks) & Soak away = 110 (6" blocks)
Cement = 8 bags (including concrete footing for septic tank and plastering of the inside)
Note: only septic tank has a concrete base, as the name implies soak-away is left natural so the water can be soaked into the underworld. #wink

>> Labour Cost:
* Bricklayer = 33.5k (all inclusive plus plastering) Normally I'll pay less, the bricklayer has justed finished foundation works and he's assured of the super-structure, this is where I tell him, look - you have a lot to do together, I can only pay 25k for all works....
* Digging only = 20k-25k

GENERAL SUMMARY: (Using the highest options i.e If cost above says 30k-50k; we'll be using 50k for this section)

TOTAL MATERIAL COST: N721,590
TOTAL LABOUR COST: N331,000

I EXPECT YOU WOULD SPEND LESS, BECAUSE WE USED THE WORST CASE SCENARIO.

Attached:
1. 3 Bedroom design used for this calculation
2. Excel Sheet for Break-Down

Note:
* Follow this thread or my account - we would not close this thread until we have completely built this house online. (Foundation - Painting) using Construction standards only.
* Our site is assumed to be a very solid clayey soil (if your site is waterlogged, swampy or sandy - discuss with a professional on visiting your site or share pictures here for help)

No4: Super Structure (Blockworks)

WE WOULD CONTINUE FROM THE ABOVE WORK ON THIS SAME THREAD NEXT WEEK; ASK YOUR QUESTIONS NOW.

Thanks.
I am an Architect for those who would be asking....

Great outline you put on there, good job thank for giving a novice like me something to use as a guide. Thanks once again.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 12:34pm On Jan 27, 2017
olatoyib:

Thanks for the valuable Knowledge . I think Plastering and Rendering should come before tiles activities

Stop thinking because you're 100% right.

I took tiling because I'm not following the sequence after I noted I won't be quoting for electrical works, plumbing etc.

I'll quote for plastering next - early next week (By God's Grace)

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 12:36pm On Jan 27, 2017
seunoj:
@saydfact. Thanks sharing this costly information for free. you ve done well.
pls what is take on Nigerite Crown tile French (cement fibre roofing sheet). What is the cost compared to the regular aluminum sheet.
Your honest position is highly appreciated.

I'll reply u soon pls... Thanks
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 2:46pm On Jan 27, 2017
@ seunoj

CROWN TILES VS LONG SPAN ROOFING (COST)

We already dealt with Aluminum roofing on Page 1 of this thread so we would only calculate the cost of using Crown Tiles.

The Crown Tiles comes in sizes of 420mm x 320mm; this implies that there would be an increase in the numbers of purlin (2x3 - hardwood) used by 50%. The reason is simple:

While Long Span come factory cut to required length of buyer (hypotenuse) of the roof, allowing a standard spacing of about 750mm - 900mm; the Crown Tiles come in already cut smaller sizes, hence closer spacing is required at about 270mm - 300mm hence the doubling.

From the Aluminum Calculation we had: Purlin (2x3) = 65 @ N450 = 29250 we will just double that to:

A. Purlin (2x3) = 130 pcs @ N450 = N58,500:00K

B. Cost of Roofing with Crown Tiles:

What quantity of this product would we need to cover the 190m2 space generated from our attached design?

0.42 * 0.32 = 0.1344 (in a meter square we have about 8 pcs but remember they lap over each others so we end up using 10 pcs per meter square.

Hence if 10 pcs covers 1m2; we have 10 pcs x 190m2 = 1900 pcs to be brought. (Always add for waste 10% on this occasion) = Approx 2000 pcs

Cost of One Crown Tile = N305 hence; Total Cost of Roofing Tiles = N610,000

NOTE: Cost of Roof Covering using ALUMINUM LONG SPAN WAS = N2200 x 190 = 418,000

The Eaves and Facial board being covered with Aluminum in the previous calculation resulted in an overall cost of N867,300

COST DIFFERENCE:

TOTAL COST IN ALUMINUM = N418,000 + N29,250 (Roof covering + Purlin) = N447,250 : 00k
TOTAL COST IN CROWN TILES = N610,000 + N58,500 (Roof covering + Purlin) = N668,500 : 00k

MY VERDICT:

QUALITY ALUMINUM (0.55mm thick) IS CHEAPER.

GOOD-LUCK

* I'll open a new thread for this comparison for others not following this thread to benefit.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Bravoe(m): 5:43pm On Jan 27, 2017
saydfact:

following...

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by seunoj: 5:19pm On Jan 29, 2017
saydfact:
@ seunoj

CROWN TILES VS LONG SPAN ROOFING (COST)

We already dealt with Aluminum roofing on Page 1 of this thread so we would only calculate the cost of using Crown Tiles.

The Crown Tiles comes in sizes of 420mm x 320mm; this implies that there would be an increase in the numbers of purlin (2x3 - hardwood) used by 50%. The reason is simple:

While Long Span come factory cut to required length of buyer (hypotenuse) of the roof, allowing a standard spacing of about 750mm - 900mm; the Crown Tiles come in already cut smaller sizes, hence closer spacing is required at about 270mm - 300mm hence the doubling.

From the Aluminum Calculation we had: Purlin (2x3) = 65 @ N450 = 29250 we will just double that to:

A. Purlin (2x3) = 130 pcs @ N450 = N58,500:00K

B. Cost of Roofing with Crown Tiles:

What quantity of this product would we need to cover the 190m2 space generated from our attached design?

0.42 * 0.32 = 0.1344 (in a meter square we have about 8 pcs but remember they lap over each others so we end up using 10 pcs per meter square.

Hence if 10 pcs covers 1m2; we have 10 pcs x 190m2 = 1900 pcs to be brought. (Always add for waste 10% on this occasion) = Approx 2000 pcs

Cost of One Crown Tile = N305 hence; Total Cost of Roofing Tiles = N610,000

NOTE: Cost of Roof Covering using ALUMINUM LONG SPAN WAS = N2200 x 190 = 418,000

The Eaves and Facial board being covered with Aluminum in the previous calculation resulted in an overall cost of N867,300

COST DIFFERENCE:

TOTAL COST IN ALUMINUM = N418,000 + N29,250 (Roof covering + Purlin) = N447,250 : 00k
TOTAL COST IN CROWN TILES = N610,000 + N58,500 (Roof covering + Purlin) = N668,500 : 00k

MY VERDICT:

QUALITY ALUMINUM (0.55mm thick) IS CHEAPER.

GOOD-LUCK

* I'll open a new thread for this comparison for others not following this thread to benefit.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by MrDraey(m): 9:55am On Jan 30, 2017
morning everyone. glad i stumbled accross this thread. this plan of yours, please what's the room sizes? im planning on starting something like this in few months time

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 10:52am On Jan 30, 2017
MrDraey:
morning everyone. glad i stumbled accross this thread. this plan of yours, please what's the room sizes? im planning on starting something like this in few months time

send me a pm via NL or how i can contact u.. thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 10:53am On Jan 30, 2017
No8: Plastering of walls (Internal & External)

For plastering - we'll generate a rate for 1m2 of space and multiple by our total surface area (Perimeter of internal spaces + Perimeter of external walls; the total multiplied by 3m (height of building). A second method would be to get an approximate cost using the rate charged by bricklayers for daily work and remove discount. Lets do the maths.

IN FIGURES:
Workmanship:
Total Square Area of Surfaces = [3 x (External wall + Internal wall)] - (Area of doors + Area of windows) = 370m2 approx
Rate per m2 = Company rate is 350 / m2

Workmanship = 129.5K since i'm giving the job out in bulk (at once) I'll claim discount and pay about 100k

LETS RECALCULATE USING DAILY RATE:
In this method; the bricklayer charges about N4500 for 2 walls (minus dressing of openings) which is about 20m2 i.e we have 370/20 daily works = N84K BUT thats for the surfaces only - they usually charge a days work for 2 windows (doors would sort themselves out once you install architrave) hence; 20 windows = 4500*20/2 = 4500*10 = 45k lets add up.

Workmanship = N84k + 45k = 129k (If you're plastering in bits ie you ask them to plaster a room this week and return the following week for another room, as you get fund; then this method applies to you can you cant get discount - you might even pay more)

Materials Needed:
Plaster Sand = Buy 40 tonnes of sand i.e 2 tippers = (25k x 2) in Ikorodu find out how much it cost in your area.
Cement = Lets generate an estimate based on our second method above; You need about 3 bags for 2 walls ie 3 bag for 20m2 of surface.

Hence: 370/20 x 3 bags = 18.5 x 3 = 55 bags (add 10% for waste and dressing) = 60 bags approx @ 2350 = 141k

Water = At this stage you should have alternative sources of water other than buying in bits eg borehole, rain water stored in your septic tank but if not then budget for buying)

Always budget for miscellaneous; lets allow 50k in this section.

Grand Total: N370,000:00K (Three Hundred and Twenty Thousand Naira Only)

DEPENDING ON ADDITIONAL DETAILS, YOU MIGHT NEED TO INCREASE YOUR BUDGET i.e Details like Window Hoods, POP designs to windows, arc-ways etc

Good Luck.

To Be Continued:
Stay Tuned.... THANKS.

4 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Imoy(m): 8:49pm On Jan 31, 2017
nice work boss

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 8:42am On Feb 01, 2017
euromilion and royalnose - i saw the notification of your PM but i couldn't find it in my mail - I've tried re-sending a PM to you. thanks

See my signature below. thanks
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by clip: 3:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
Great thread. Thank you for sharing and your time

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Nobody: 9:47am On Feb 05, 2017
Good job my man.

Bros can u give me contact of sand suppliers.

Thanks.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 9:17am On Feb 06, 2017
euromilion:
Good job my man.

Bros can u give me contact of sand suppliers.

Thanks.

your location?
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 06, 2017
saydfact:

your location?

Ikotun area.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 11:35am On Feb 08, 2017
YOU CAN FOLLOW MY LATEST ARTICLE HERE >>> https://www.nairaland.com/3617471/should-supervise-building-project-architects

WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS?
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by RichBanky: 5:04pm On Feb 14, 2017
saydfact:
No8: Plastering of walls (Internal & External)

For plastering - we'll generate a rate for 1m2 of space and multiple by our total surface area (Perimeter of internal spaces + Perimeter of external walls; the total multiplied by 3m (height of building). A second method would be to get an approximate cost using the rate charged by bricklayers for daily work and remove discount. Lets do the maths.

IN FIGURES:
Workmanship:
Total Square Area of Surfaces = [3 x (External wall + Internal wall)] - (Area of doors + Area of windows) = 370m2 approx
Rate per m2 = Company rate is 350 / m2

Workmanship = 129.5K since i'm giving the job out in bulk (at once) I'll claim discount and pay about 100k

LETS RECALCULATE USING DAILY RATE:
In this method; the bricklayer charges about N4500 for 2 walls (minus dressing of openings) which is about 20m2 i.e we have 370/20 daily works = N84K BUT thats for the surfaces only - they usually charge a days work for 2 windows (doors would sort themselves out once you install architrave) hence; 20 windows = 4500*20/2 = 4500*10 = 45k lets add up.

Workmanship = N84k + 45k = 129k (If you're plastering in bits ie you ask them to plaster a room this week and return the following week for another room, as you get fund; then this method applies to you can you cant get discount - you might even pay more)

Materials Needed:
Plaster Sand = Buy 40 tonnes of sand i.e 2 tippers = (25k x 2) in Ikorodu find out how much it cost in your area.
Cement = Lets generate an estimate based on our second method above; You need about 3 bags for 2 walls ie 3 bag for 20m2 of surface.

Hence: 370/20 x 3 bags = 18.5 x 3 = 55 bags (add 10% for waste and dressing) = 60 bags approx @ 2350 = 141k

Water = At this stage you should have alternative sources of water other than buying in bits eg borehole, rain water stored in your septic tank but if not then budget for buying)

Always budget for miscellaneous; lets allow 50k in this section.

Grand Total: N370,000:00K (Three Hundred and Twenty Thousand Naira Only)

DEPENDING ON ADDITIONAL DETAILS, YOU MIGHT NEED TO INCREASE YOUR BUDGET i.e Details like Window Hoods, POP designs to windows, arc-ways etc

Good Luck.

To Be Continued:
Stay Tuned.... THANKS.

Your thread has been very Educative.

Please do you have any idea of the current price of Plaster sand (10tonnes & 20tonnes) around Isawo in Ikorodu

My bricklayer gave me a quote i am not comfortable with.

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

How To Prevent Your Prepaid Electricity Meter Card From Running Out Fast / Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does / This Woman Lost Her Home And 2 Warehouses In Onitsha Fire Accident(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.