Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,414 members, 7,781,200 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:32 AM

How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 (45808 Views)

How Much Will It Cost To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat In Benin City? / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little / Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by IBBG(m): 4:31pm On Nov 22, 2017
dear op, how far can 6 million naira go in building 2 bedroom twin flat? Thanks.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Timtol(m): 5:04pm On Nov 22, 2017
IBBG:
dear op, how far can 6 million naira go in building 2 bedroom twin flat? Thanks.
what r d features u wat to have there plus how large d rooms n living rooms plus is all ensuit after answering that will kw wat to tell u pls ur taste of finishing matters...for more update n for ur building plan at a very affordable price reach me on 08100452977/whatsapp ...tnx
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 6:25pm On Nov 22, 2017
IBBG:

Thanks for reading my thread.. With 6 million you wld go a long way... I can break it down later

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 5:56pm On Feb 16, 2018
Hi All,

Please follow my latest article here >> https://www.nairaland.com/4351676/choosing-right-foundation-project-type#65115752

also contact me for your design & 3ds job...
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by lexi28(m): 3:36am On Feb 23, 2018
Hi, saydfact.
I have a sketch for a generator house, can you kindly look at it and give the required quantities of blocks, cement and all required to complete it? You can reach me on WhatsApp at 07036383449 and by email at lexezra@gmail.com. I've sent you mail to your advertised in mail and also a p.m here on the forum.

I hope to speak with you soon on certain other projects that will require your expertise. Its for a 2bedroom bungalow.

Thanks a lot.

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 7:34am On Feb 23, 2018
lexi28:
Hi, saydfact.
I have a sketch for a generator house, can you kindly look at it and give the required quantities of blocks, cement and all required to complete it? You can reach me on WhatsApp at 07036383449 and by email at lexezra@gmail.com. I've sent you mail to your advertised in mail and also a p.m here on the forum.

I hope to speak with you soon on certain other projects that will require your expertise. Its for a 2bedroom bungalow.

Thanks a lot.

can you get the size of the perforated blocks you intend to use? L x B x thickness (optional) eg standard block is 225 x 450 x (150 or 225 thick)

I sent you my Whatsapp nos by mail.

Regards
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 4:20pm On Feb 23, 2018
lexi28:
Hi, saydfact.

Thanks a lot.

Foundation = 4.5 bags of cement
Columns = 3 bags of cement
175mm thick German floor = 14 bags of cement
150mm thick concrete roofing = 10 bags of cement
150mm or 225mm Blocks = 370 pcs
(L x B) Screen block = 14.76m2 / (L x B) = pcs of screen block needed i.e when you decide on the screen block to use, multiple its LxB and apply in the formula above eg if its 150mm x 150mm then = 14.76 / (0.15x0.15) = 14.76 / 0.0225 = 656 pcs. (for both screen wall and screen windows)

Granite, Sand, Plaster sand etc are minimal - Buy the least you can afford eg 10 tonnes of each.

Reinforcement Bars = Use 12mm all round.... or 16mm in columns if you can afford to...

Goodluck.
Good luck.....

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by adeyanwale5(m): 7:29am On Feb 24, 2018
saydfact, what about the numbers of the reinforcement needed for lintel of our 3 bedroom?

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 6:11am On Feb 26, 2018
adeyanwale5:
saydfact, what about the numbers of the reinforcement needed for lintel of our 3 bedroom?

Pls check the links I sent to you. I have answered all questions on the plan there except painting.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by earthrealm(m): 5:34pm On Apr 14, 2018
very nice great, kudos to OP.
was hoping i would see detailed analysis of the calculation for decking, ie qty of sand/gravel/cement and iron rods, the area is about 200sq meter.
could you walk me through the calculation??
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by money121(m): 11:35pm On Apr 14, 2018
Calculating The Amount Of Aluminium Roofing Sheet For A Building
See how to calculate meters & sqm Needed here >> https://www.imranroofing.com/2018/04/calculating-amount-of-aluminium-roofing.html?m=1
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Nbg4real: 4:51pm On Apr 15, 2018
earthrealm:
was hoping i would see detailed analysis of the calculation for decking, ie qty of sand/gravel/cement and iron rods, the area is about 200sq meter.
i have decked, 12m by 11m last year approximately 80bags of cement, 60length of Y16 rod, 180length of Y 12 and 20length of Y10 rod. wood for almost 450k. among other materials. it is just a guide ican't recall all the materials and i am togather with my record. i also buy plumbing and electric materia.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 11:49am On Apr 16, 2018
earthrealm:

the calculation can't be done without detailed or working drawings - just giving the area isn't enough - but what I can do with the area is apply a formular and tell you how much you would spend.

eg, concrete = 200 x 20k = 4 million ditto for Rebar.....
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by earthrealm(m): 12:20pm On Apr 16, 2018
saydfact:

the calculation can't be done without detailed or working drawings - just giving the area isn't enough - but what I can do with the area is apply a formular and tell you how much you would spend.

eg, concrete = 200 x 20k = 4 million ditto for Rebar.....

ok thanks, can i send the detailed drawings to you?
guess i assumed you hv an excel sheet where you simply input the values, and it will crunch the numbers.
confirm if i can send the detailed drawing...thnks!
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 12:45pm On Apr 16, 2018
earthrealm:

ok thanks, can i send the detailed drawings to you?
guess i assumed you hv an excel sheet where you simply input the values, and it will crunch the numbers.
confirm if i can send the detailed drawing...thnks!

That wld be structural drawings NOT Architecture (remember we dealing with Beams, Slab & Irons majorly).

If you've got it - send it - BUT it won't be ready today...

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by ubox: 1:31pm On Apr 16, 2018
You dream it, we design and build it
For your building design needs and 3D visualization needs, contact uboks.nyah@yahoo.com today's let's work together to bring your project to reality
https://www.nairaland.com/3696405/contemporary-moderate-building-designs#54818903

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by buddie(m): 9:31pm On Jun 19, 2018
@saydfact Please assist with this quote i received for only foundation. I just seem to question some part of the whole quotation like

1. What quantity of gravel goes for that small price?
2. The number of bags of cement for just foundation seems on the high side?
3. Is there anything i can cut down in terms of the workmanship?

Kindly give your candid advise abeg. Site is located in Odoguyan area of Ikorodu.

saydfact:
@ buddie

In stages.
1. Foundation and Blockworks.
2. Backfilling only
3. German Floor
4. Blockwork, lintel, column etc to roof level

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 7:50am On Jun 20, 2018
buddie:
@saydfact Please assist with this quote i received for only foundation. I just seem to question some part of the whole quotation like

1. What quantity of gravel goes for that small price?
2. The number of bags of cement for just foundation seems on the high side?
3. Is there anything i can cut down in terms of the workmanship?

Kindly give your candid advise abeg. Site is located in Odoguyan area of Ikorodu.

Hi,

Thanks for contacting me.
Gravel is the cheaper coarse aggregate (the better option is granite >> see my post here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3630752/cement-sand-granite-concrete-mix )

Interestingly the prices given you are OK and the quantities too (except maybe you might use 5-7 bags of cement less) - start by buying 30 bags but plan to buy more..... (judging by the nos of blocks listed - since there is no design)

Ditto for blocks too - since I dont have the plan, I believe the quantity is what is needed and based on that, THE WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS LISTED seems OK.

Goodluck, in your project and never stop building until its completed...... one stone at a time.

Note: The only image i saw was for FOUNDATION and WORKMANSHIP - let me know if there are others on backfilling, German floor etc
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by buddie(m): 10:41pm On Jun 20, 2018
Appreciate your prompt and honest response always.

Like you advised in the past, I intend doing this in phases why the quote is for just foundation alone. Since I don't have a lumpsum amount to use in building it would be difficult for bricklayer to do entire costing at once.

Would be settling for the gravel due to cost for now.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 7:23am On Jun 21, 2018
buddie:
Appreciate your prompt and honest response always.

Like you advised in the past, I intend doing this in phases why the quote is for just foundation alone. Since I don't have a lumpsum amount to use in building it would be difficult for bricklayer to do entire costing at once.

Would be settling for the gravel due to cost for now.

on my project, i remember starting with gravel before later changing permanently to granite for obvious reason..... carry go bro... grin grin
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by solveabode(m): 6:56pm On Jun 29, 2018
@saydfact: please link up with me via : info.solveabode@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 8:57am On Jul 24, 2018
solveabode:
@saydfact: please link up with me via : info.solveabode@gmail.com

Thanks

sorry i'm not into Polysterene - I'm just here to give general construction advise.. thanks
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by buddie(m): 1:39pm On Sep 08, 2018
Saydfact how are you today?

Is 75K a good quote for 15 tons of gravel? To be supplied to site in ikorodu.

@checkitaut don't know if this area is covered by you and you do such small quantity of granite supply

Have paid upfront payment for all blocks now. Planning to land gravel and sand to site once work is about to commence, that way it is lighter to start work. Just cement, workmanship and omó onile would be remaining to hit the ground fully.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 7:40am On Sep 10, 2018
buddie:
Saydfact how are you today?

Is 75K a good quote for 15 tons of gravel? To be supplied to site in ikorodu.

@checkitaut don't know if this area is covered by you and you do such small quantity of granite supply

Have paid upfront payment for all blocks now. Planning to land gravel and sand to site once work is about to commence, that way it is lighter to start work. Just cement, workmanship and omó onile would be remaining to hit the ground fully.

WAIT.....

Confirm from your supplier if its GRAVEL or GRANITE - I called my supplier and she's offered to supply to Ikorodu for 65k (Note, I wont give her contact even if its cheaper than what you get) - make I no spoil market for your supplier - JUST

1. Confirm if its Gravel or Granite
2. Price it down if its Granite to about 65-67k
3. If its GRAVEL, its much cheaper very much cheaper like half price self

goodluck

modified: Thanks, I'm doing OK..

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Kaybthaniels(m): 9:34am On Sep 10, 2018
Thanks for this thread sir, I was hoping i would see a calculation for window hoods, wall skirting, what's is a fair amount to pay for labor for plastering a 3 bedroom flat in & out, all room ensuite, My engineer is charging 580K including materials, transport, etc, cost of labor alone is 200k, initially he said I would need to buy 93 bags of cement but then later settled for 80 bags of cement which i thought was still way too much, I am currently not around to supervise the usage of materials.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 10:54am On Sep 10, 2018
Kaybthaniels:
Thanks for this thread sir, I was hoping i would see a calculation for window hoods, wall skirting, what's is a fair amount to pay for labor for plastering a 3 bedroom flat in & out, all room ensuite, My engineer is charging 580K including materials, transport, etc, cost of labor alone is 200k, initially he said I would need to buy 93 bags of cement but then later settled for 80 bags of cement which i thought was still way too much, I am currently not around to supervise the usage of materials.

hmmm.... I wont want to comment on your Engineer and what he's charging - however let me give you a hint on how much is OK to pay.

What you shd do is get a safe range and price in that range.

FOR CEMENT: Calculate 3 bags per room and dining + 3 bags for 2 toilets or 1.5 bags per toilet + book 5 bags for living room and 3 bags for kitchen as well - ADD THEM ALL UP and add 5 bags for waste. pls let me know what you get so I can advice further.

FOR PRICE: Plastering cost about N650 per m2 (the more space plastered, the less the rate grows)
a room of 3.3 by 3.6 (11 by 12) is about 12m2 x N650 = 7.8K. (Terms and condition apply)

lets use this rate for 3 bedrooms, dining and kitchen since they're usually same size = 7.8k x 5 = 39k
generate price for living room and toilet also = I expect those to be less than 39k.

NOW - A fair price for plastering therefore in and out for the 3 bedroom shouldn't exceed 130k (OR LESS NOT MORE)

What I have explained is how to know the BARGAIN RANGE - meaning price within that range....

IN ALL OF THESE, I'VE NOT CONSIDERED SUPERVISION WHICH YOU WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR.... thats between you and your Engr. I'm sure he has his rates on that..

goodluck

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Kaybthaniels(m): 4:53pm On Sep 10, 2018
For the calculation of the cements, I came up with 31 bags of cement, I also figured he might be adding his supervision fees to the quote somehow even tho he doesn't state it there, he wasn't the same engineer that started the project from the beginning, I started working with him from the roofing stage and we never discussed fees for his supervision even up to this stage, I will discuss that with him asap, Thanks a lot for your response.

saydfact:

hmmm.... I wont want to comment on your Engineer and what he's charging - however let me give you a hint on how much is OK to pay.

What you shd do is get a safe range and price in that range.

FOR CEMENT: Calculate 3 bags per room and dining + 3 bags for 2 toilets or 1.5 bags per toilet + book 5 bags for living room and 3 bags for kitchen as well - ADD THEM ALL UP and add 5 bags for waste. pls let me know what you get so I can advice further.

FOR PRICE: Plastering cost about N650 per m2 (the more space plastered, the less the rate grows)
a room of 3.3 by 3.6 (11 by 12) is about 12m2 x N650 = 7.8K. (Terms and condition apply)

lets use this rate for 3 bedrooms, dining and kitchen since they're usually same size = 7.8k x 5 = 39k
generate price for living room and toilet also = I expect those to be less than 39k.

NOW - A fair price for plastering therefore in and out for the 3 bedroom shouldn't exceed 130k (OR LESS NOT MORE)

What I have explained is how to know the BARGAIN RANGE - meaning price within that range....

IN ALL OF THESE, I'VE NOT CONSIDERED SUPERVISION WHICH YOU WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR.... thats between you and your Engr. I'm sure he has his rates on that..

goodluck
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by buddie(m): 5:08am On Sep 11, 2018
God bless you my brother.. Would review the price further then.

And again I notice some site close to mine uses some very small sizes of granite like this, not the usual big stone type is there any advantage for using this one? Due to their tiny size, wouldn't it consume more during usage? Or they are actually purposed for certain jobs alone as lintel and all?

saydfact:

WAIT.....

Confirm from your supplier if its GRAVEL or GRANITE - I called my supplier and she's offered to supply to Ikorodu for 65k (Note, I wont give her contact even if its cheaper than what you get) - make I no spoil market for your supplier - JUST

1. Confirm if its Gravel or Granite
2. Price it down if its Granite to about 65-67k
3. If its GRAVEL, its much cheaper very much cheaper like half price self

goodluck

modified: Thanks, I'm doing OK..
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 8:08am On Sep 11, 2018
buddie:
God bless you my brother.. Would review the price further then.

And again I notice some site close to mine uses some very small sizes of granite like this, not the usual big stone type is there any advantage for using this one? Due to their tiny size, wouldn't it consume more during usage? Or they are actually purposed for certain jobs alone as lintel and all?

GRANITE ARE SOLD PER KG (1000KG = 1TON) so if you buy the smaller ones you wld get more because they weight less (same way you wld consume more when using) so it balances out. ie whether you buy big or small na same of same.

because you're working in the foundation buy the bigger ones..

The advantage of the smaller ones is that they fill all space between reinforcement more (better for columns, beams, and even slab) - BUT for foundation buy 3/4 (Three Quarter) size.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 8:15am On Sep 11, 2018
Kaybthaniels:
For the calculation of the cements, I came up with 31 bags of cement, I also figured he might be adding his supervision fees to the quote somehow even tho he doesn't state it there, he wasn't the same engineer that started the project from the beginning, I started working with him from the roofing stage and we never discussed fees for his supervision even up to this stage, I will discuss that with him asap, Thanks a lot for your response.

My house is a DUPLEX (1 Storey building) I didn't plaster it with 80 bags of cement - and yours is a bungalow...

BUY 50 BAGS (in and out) and monitor its usage - it would surprise you how much plastering it would cover........ The problem however is when you cant monitor.

YOU WOULD ASK IF I MONITOR MY WORKERS - The answer is NO!!! - I've got a team I trust, if I have 1 nail left on site - they give me a call. wink wink wink

I just noticed were you said you're not around to monitor usage of materials - what you shd do is ask him HOW MANY BAGS HE USES PER ROOM, AND BEFORE HE ANSWERS TELL HIM YOUR FRIEND WITH SIMILAR DESIGN USED ONLY 50 BAGS..... ARGUE IT A BIT AND ASK HIM TO GO RECALCULATE INCASE HE MADE A MISTAKE. DONT ACCUSE HIM OF TRYING TO CHEAT YOU (remember, you need him)

HE WLD COME BACK WITH A REDUCED QUOTE - PAY HIM (He also is in business and shd make profit)

goodluck

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Kaybthaniels(m): 6:17pm On Sep 12, 2018
Thanks very much, I will apply this method.

saydfact:

My house is a DUPLEX (1 Storey building) I didn't plaster it with 80 bags of cement - and yours is a bungalow...

BUY 50 BAGS (in and out) and monitor its usage - it would surprise you how much plastering it would cover........ The problem however is when you cant monitor.

YOU WOULD ASK IF I MONITOR MY WORKERS - The answer is NO!!! - I've got a team I trust, if I have 1 nail left on site - they give me a call. wink wink wink

I just noticed were you said you're not around to monitor usage of materials - what you shd do is ask him HOW MANY BAGS HE USES PER ROOM, AND BEFORE HE ANSWERS TELL HIM YOUR FRIEND WITH SIMILAR DESIGN USED ONLY 50 BAGS..... ARGUE IT A BIT AND ASK HIM TO GO RECALCULATE INCASE HE MADE A MISTAKE. DONT ACCUSE HIM OF TRYING TO CHEAT YOU (remember, you need him)

HE WLD COME BACK WITH A REDUCED QUOTE - PAY HIM (He also is in business and shd make profit)

goodluck
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Abdomox: 4:44pm On Sep 17, 2018
Hi Sadyfact,

I have 1,500 blocks more to lay to reach lintel level.

What do you think the workmanship should be?

Or how much should laying of blocks cost?

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Gas Explosion In Surulere Burns Down Building, Cars (Photos, Videos) / Land Grabbers (Omo Onile) Storm Idimu, Lagos (Pictures) / The Safest And Most Private Estates In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.