Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine (2982 Views)

Slow Acceleration Of A V6 Toyota Camry / Placing A V6 Or V8 Engine In A Mercedes Benz 190 / What Are Differences Between The 6-cylinder Engine And The V6 Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by Acelifted: 10:23pm On Dec 16, 2016
I recently changed my car from a big daddy Toyota Camry (V4) to a Nissan Pathfinder (V6). one thing I noticed that is that the engine of the Nissan Pathfinder (V6) tend to be hotter than that of the Toyota Camry (4-plug). However my concern is that my mechanic is still using the same engine oil (Visco 2000) he was using for my former car (Toyota Camry 4-plug) for the new Pathfinder V6. I want to ask the experts in the house, what engine oil is best for a V6 Engine in Nigeria's hot climatic conditions?

Thank you.
Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by mayor2013: 10:54pm On Dec 16, 2016
Acelifted:
I recently changed my car from a big daddy Toyota Camry (V4) to a Nissan Pathfinder (V6). one thing I noticed that is that the engine of the Nissan Pathfinder (V6) tend to be hotter than that of the Toyota Camry (4-plug). However my concern is that my mechanic is still using the same engine oil (Visco 2000) he was using for my former car (Toyota Camry 4-plug) for the new Pathfinder V6. I want to ask the experts in the house, what engine oil is best for a V6 Engine in Nigeria's hot climatic conditions?

Thank you.

5w20 fully synthetic engine oil is your recommended oil. Call multi autolab on 08156087872 or 08165520837 if you wish to buy
Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by diportivo: 11:27pm On Dec 16, 2016
Acelifted:

Thank you.

Bros,which thermometer u take compare the two

My oga at the top av told u the recommended oil

Flee from the 20w50 oils

3 Likes

Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by Acelifted: 12:46pm On Dec 17, 2016
Bros,which thermometer u take compare the two

I Use the thermometer on the dashboards and of course the heat oozing out of the engine when just parked. The toyota camry thermometer hardly gets halfway. but that of the pathfinder (V6) always gets halfway. I was concerned at first. Got the radiator checked and cleaned, fans checked, even though i was told that if it doesn't exceed halfway, it is OK. Am just concerned about using the right engine oil for the car.

Flee from the 20w50 oils

Why please? What is your candid recommendation?
Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by diportivo: 3:47pm On Dec 17, 2016
Acelifted:

I Use the thermometer on the dashboards and of course the heat oozing out of the engine when just parked. The toyota camry thermometer hardly gets halfway. but that of the pathfinder (V6) always gets halfway. I was concerned at first. Got the radiator checked and cleaned, fans checked, even though i was told that if it doesn't exceed halfway, it is OK. Am just concerned about using the right engine oil for the car.

Why please? What is your candid recommendation?

U can't use the heat oozing out to determine anything

If ur temperature gauge doesn't get to half,e get as e be...that also doesn't mean its not as hot as the one dat gets to half...

Asper d oil,my oga mayor123 has spoken already
Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by Emblj: 6:16pm On Dec 17, 2016
Kindly google the recommended engine oil type for your car specifying the model,engine type ànd year as well .That is your best option. e.g

"recommended engine oil for nissan pathfinder 2006 V6"

You will be shocked to know how wrong your mechanic is.

Nobody knows better than the manufacturer. Do not let any "Kazeem " or oil dealer sell any oil type to you. They will end up sending your engine to early grave.
Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by nurey(m): 9:32pm On Dec 17, 2016
The recommended oil for your car should be 5w20 or 5w30, you should have jejely continued with your Toyota, as Nissan doesn't like an iota of abuse or neglect, it can disappoint you if you disappoint it.

I also hope the Nissan pathfinder isn't the 2001 upwards, the 3.5L V6, it comes with timing chain and using a useless oil reduces the timing chain strength. You don't want a timing chain job done on your vehicle especially by a quack mechanic.

The car temperature is supposed to sit in the middle not below and not above. The only two instances the temperature sits just slightly (just tinciwinci from the middle) below the half mark are
1. The weather is extremely cold (harmattan in the north, raining season in the south and east)
2. You are on the highway doing 100km+ and the breeze can blow someone away.

Am guessing the Toyota you used before, the thermostat was removed and the fan run directly.
Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by Acelifted: 12:08pm On Dec 18, 2016
Thanks guys. am grateful. Will check to be sure the engine oil is of the grade recommended. Thanks Nurey for the kind, in-depth and professional contribution.
Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by Acelifted: 12:21pm On Dec 18, 2016
The recommended oil for your car should be 5w20 or 5w30, you should have jejely continued with your Toyota, as Nissan doesn't like an iota of abuse or neglect, it can disappoint you if you disappoint it.
I also hope the Nissan pathfinder isn't the 2001 upwards, the 3.5L V6, it comes with timing chain and using a useless oil reduces the timing chain strength. You don't want a timing chain job done on your vehicle especially by a quack mechanic.

I had to change the car for obvious reasons.
No it isn't a 2001 upwards. Its a 98 model. read of issues in www.carcomplaints.com.

Tnx
Re: Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine by nurey(m): 2:19pm On Dec 18, 2016
Acelifted:

I had to change the car for obvious reasons.
No it isn't a 2001 upwards. Its a 98 model. read of issues in www.carcomplaints.com.

Tnx

The pathfinder is a guzzler. Please ensure the fan isn't run direct, ensure you use coolant not water and do other necessary checkup when necessary.

Driving an abused pathfinder is like driving a V10 engine

(1) (Reply)

Rebuilding A 2010 Rav4 V6 (2gr-fe) Engine / Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? / Volvo Xc90 Suv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.