Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,912 members, 7,806,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:50 PM

Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management (22404 Views)

25% Of Coronavirus Carriers Don't Show Symptoms But Can Still Spread Virus / Miscarriage In Pregnancy: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Prevention / Understanding Hepatitis (hssag)-causes, Symptoms And Total Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Generalhealth(m): 7:24am On Dec 20, 2016
Asthma is a common lung condition that causes occasional breathing difficulties.

It affects people of all ages and often starts in childhood, although it can also appear for the first time in adults.

There’s currently no cure for asthma, but there are simple treatments that can help keep the symptoms under control so it doesn’t have a significant impact on your life.

Some people, particularly children, may eventually grow out of asthma. But for others it’s a lifelong condition.
Symptoms of asthma

The main symptoms of asthma are:

wheezing (a whistling sound when breathing)
breathlessness
a tight chest – which may feel like a band is tightening around it
coughing

The severity of the symptoms varies from person to person. They usually come and go, but for some people they’re more persistent.

Asthma symptoms can sometimes get temporarily worse. This is known as an asthma attack.
When to get medical advice

Several conditions can cause similar symptoms, such as a chest infection or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), so it’s important to get a proper diagnosis and correct treatment.

Your doctor will usually be able to diagnose asthma by asking about your or your child’s symptoms and carrying out some simple breathing tests.

But these are often difficult to do in infants and young children, so the diagnosis may be made on the basis of symptoms and response to a trial of treatment with an inhaler.

Causes of asthma

Asthma is caused by inflammation (swelling) of the breathing tubes that carry air in and out of the lungs.

This inflammation makes the breathing tubes highly sensitive, so they temporarily become narrow. This may occur randomly, or after exposure to a trigger. The tubes may also sometimes become clogged with sticky mucus.

Common asthma triggers include:

allergens, such as house dust mites, animal fur and pollens
other irritants, such as cigarette smoke, strong smells, gases and
cold air
exercise this include[i] hot sex[/i]
chest infections

The reason why some people develop asthma isn’t fully understood, although it’s known that you’re more likely to develop it if you have a close relative with the condition.

Treatments for asthma

While there’s currently no cure for asthma, there are a number of treatments that can help control the condition.

Most asthma treatments are taken using an inhaler, a small device that delivers a spray or powder medicine to your breathing tubes as you breathe in.

The main treatments are:

identifying and avoiding asthma triggers if possible
reliever inhalers – inhalers used when needed to quickly relieve asthma symptoms for a short time
preventer inhalers – inhalers used regularly every day to reduce the inflammation in the breathing tubes, which prevents asthma symptoms occurring

How long does asthma last?

Asthma is a long-term condition for many people – particularly if it first develops in adulthood.

In children, it sometimes disappears or improves during the teenage years, although it can return later in life.

The symptoms can usually be controlled with treatment and most people will have normal and active lives, although some people with more severe asthma may have persistent problems.

Complications of asthma

Although asthma can normally be kept under control, it’s still a serious condition that can cause a number of complications.

This is why it’s so important to follow your treatment plan and not ignore your symptoms if they’re getting worse.

Badly controlled asthma can cause issues such as:

persistent tiredness
underperformance or absence from work or school
psychological problems – including stress, anxiety and depression
disruption of your work and leisure because of unexpected visits to your doctor or hospital
lung infections (pneumonia)
in children, delays in growth or puberty

There’s also a risk of life-threatening complications, such as severe asthma attacks.
cc: lalasticlala

source: http://generalhealthinfo.com/2017/11/07/asthma-in-detail/

4 Likes

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by casttlebarbz(m): 8:02am On Dec 20, 2016
thanks

1 Like

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Generalhealth(m): 7:20pm On Feb 05, 2018
Lalasticlala

This is good

1 Like

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 02, 2018
The good news abt asthma is that its not an embarassing sickness like epilepsy or cerebrum malaria. And if well managed, the patient can live a normal long life till 90 yrs of age..the last time i checked.

To make it worse is to be a smoker who's asthmatic. D person wan die really young be dat.

3 Likes

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by ezebunafo(m): 7:55pm On Mar 02, 2018
just realised my new year resolution no even last a week

1 Like

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by asawanathegreat(m): 7:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
Good lesson there bro

1 Like

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by wilsonm(m): 7:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
ok

1 Like

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Famocious(m): 8:00pm On Mar 02, 2018
Nice write up..

Little addition. grin

For students that are asthmatic, please keep your inhaler either seritide or ventolin close to where is reachable when the attack comes up....I've seen a lady died of asthma because she was too breathless to reach her inhaler from the upper case of wardrobe where she kept it.
Babes, me your boyfriend know that you are asthmatic if you have one. He may be a life safer..
Bros/sis/dad/mum, ensure you have extra inhaler in your handbags, car saves , at home even in your office ...you never can tell when a stranger with pungent body spray/perfume will trigger an attack...

Cheers

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Nobody: 8:01pm On Mar 02, 2018
In other words asthma is hereditary!

2 Likes

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by deso80: 8:02pm On Mar 02, 2018
It is curable for your information. I had it before but now no more because I am cured. Asthma is a disease for sure and like normal sickness when it comes atfer awhile will go but the chronic ones is a demonic attack for your information. THE ONLY CURE FOR SUCH CHRONIC ONES IS SPIRITUAL DELIVERANCE. Don't doubt this my view I mean it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Alfred2000: 8:09pm On Mar 02, 2018
ezebunafo:
just realised my new year resolution no even last a week
Funny...so what was the resolution?
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Nobody: 8:10pm On Mar 02, 2018
deso80:
It is curable for your information. I had it before but now no more because I am cured. Asthma is a disease for sure and like normal sickness when it comes atfer awhile will go but the chronic ones is a demonic attack for your information. THE ONLY CURE FOR SUCH CHRONIC ONES IS SPIRITUAL DELIVERANCE. Don't doubt this my view I mean it.
It ain't spiritual but it affects people that are highly emotional.

My asthma started when I was 8 years old. I remember I usually eat ice water directly from the freezer (which could be d causative agent)

At age 21 i met a friend that noticed my wheezing and tiredness he asked " Are you asthmatic"? I said No out of shame. he continued, and said he used to be asthmatic until someone introduced "bitter kola" for him and ever since then he has been cured from the disease. immediately I planned to look for it also.

At that time I did not know what bitter kola was, I looked for bitter kola till the age of 26 years before I found it from an old woman selling it.

My brother, asthma is 100% curable all you need is just chew a single bitter kola every week and your asthma will become history.

This is my 8 years without asthma. I intentionally exposed myself to dust and I ate the ice that used to trigger my asthma but to my surprise is gone totally.

I also introduced bitter kola to a 19 year old female suffering from it she calls and thank me every time that she's cured ever since.

BITTER KOLA is just N20 in Nigeria and is the only cure for asthma but White people don't know it is because the plant only grows in west Africa and bitter kola get expired 3 to 4 days after being harvested which discouraged exporting the kola.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 02, 2018
Insightful
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by LaughButton01(m): 8:18pm On Mar 02, 2018
f
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 02, 2018
Ashthma is hereditry.. sad
Asthma patients dare not drink cold water, drink garri grin, carry out any form of heavy task cry. U dare not expose urself to cold sad

Once an asthmatic patient..
With time u outgrow it!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 02, 2018
Famocious:
Nice write up..

Little addition. grin

For students that are asthmatic, please keep your inhaler either seritide or ventolin close to where is reachable when the attack comes up....I've seen a lady died of asthma because she was too breathless to reach her inhaler from the upper case of wardrobe where she kept it.
Babes, me your boyfriend know that you are asthmatic if you have one. He may be a life safer..
Bros/sis/dad/mum, ensure you have extra inhaler in your handbags, car saves , at home even in your office ...you never can tell when a stranger with pungent body spray/perfume will trigger an attack...

Cheers

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Originalsly: 8:30pm On Mar 02, 2018
Informative post! ..... anyone with asthma should have the inhaler with them at all times. Even if nearby...you may not be able to get it during an attack.... not be able to talk...and the many ignorant people around would jump to one conclusion. ...spiritual attack....then begin to beat the spirit out of you.

1 Like

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by nairavsdollars(f): 8:33pm On Mar 02, 2018
Op sex hot sex can trigger asthma attack. How true?

1 Like

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Nobody: 8:37pm On Mar 02, 2018
nairavsdollars:
Op sex hot sex can trigger asthma attack. How true?
triggers differs with people but bitter kola will cure any form of asthma.

Ventoline, piriton, prednesolone inhalers have tried them all but are not working.
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by mycare(m): 8:37pm On Mar 02, 2018
Do anyone have a cure for it
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Hemjayy: 8:40pm On Mar 02, 2018
Any drugs for clinical depression?
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Kylekent59: 8:42pm On Mar 02, 2018
mycare:
Do anyone have a cure for it
Does goes with anyone and not 'do'

Does anyone have a cure for it grin grin

1 Like

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by joepentwo(m): 8:45pm On Mar 02, 2018
Am an asthmatic patient, i alws tout d ws cure, i wil try nd do good incase i die.

2 Likes

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Airhix(m): 8:48pm On Mar 02, 2018
Yea true talk, nice right up but many people disregard the potency in herbal medicine.there is a cure for asthma,wen dectect within the 10years. For more info, call me on 07067417516
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by joepentwo(m): 8:52pm On Mar 02, 2018
Onijagidijagan:

It ain't spiritual but it affects people that are highly emotional.

My asthma started when I was 8 years old. I remember I usually eat ice water directly from the freezer (which could be d causative agent)

At age 21 i met a friend that noticed my wheezing and tiredness he asked " Are you asthmatic"? I said No out of shame. he continued, and said he used to be asthmatic until someone introduced "bitter kola" for him and ever since then he has been cured from the disease. immediately I planned to look for it also.

At that time I did not know what bitter was, I looked for bitter kola till the age of 26 years before I found it from an old woman.

My brother, asthma is 100% curable all you need is just chew a single bitter kola every week and your asthma will become history.

This is my 8 years without asthma. I intentionally exposed myself to dust and I ate the ice that used to trigger my asthma but to my surprise is gone totally.

I also introduced bitter kola to a 19 year old female suffering from it she calls and thank me every time that she's cured ever since.

BITTER KOLA is just N20 in Nigeria and is the only cure for asthma but White people don't know it is because the plant only grows in west Africa and bitter kola get expired 3 to 4 days after being harvested which discouraged exporting the kola.
av been chewing bitter cola bt nt on daily basis, i wil gt enough bitter cola @ least chew once daily for three month nd c d outcome.
I believe i wol b cured.
Ma story is almost d same as urx

2 Likes

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 02, 2018
joepentwo:

av been chewing bitter cola bt nt on daily basis, i wil gt enough bitter cola @ least chew once daily for three month nd c d outcome.
I believe i wol b cured.
Ma story is almost d same as urx
Don't take more than two a day bro. if you observe any slight attack chew one bitter kola and see the magic.
it work faster than ventoline, prednisolone, inhalers and others.

with time you won't experience asthma again if your system has recognized d bitter kola.
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Iyajelili(f): 9:04pm On Mar 02, 2018
I lost my dad to asthma. R.I.P Dad,love you and miss you everyday

6 Likes

Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by bobnatlo(m): 9:05pm On Mar 02, 2018
Hmmm!
The op posting this should have stated graphic pics warning naa
Re: Asthma - Causes, Symptoms And Management by Reggio: 9:13pm On Mar 02, 2018
I have bronchitis and when ever I use inhaler, I get sore throat and mild to serious cough with little blood cry . But I have not done spirometry test to ascertain whether it is asthma or bronchitis. Pls help, I use ventolin inhaler.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UK Licenses 266 Nigerian Doctors In Two Months / He Cant Go Second Round / Meningitis – All You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.