Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? (3860 Views)

Visa Lottery Winner, Other Arrested Over Scam Marriage / U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery / US Diversity Visa Lottery (DV-2007) Registration: October 5 to December 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by loomboc(m): 10:37am On Jun 01, 2005
This has been on my thought quite some time now. The set of the so called lottery winners happens to be the independent people in the different part of the globe.

This set of people suppose to build their nations, but had been enticed with a greener pasture thus biulding another nation.

Secondly, these lottery donors continue pilling up people from different part of the globe, thus increasing their manpower and technology, so why won't they be regarded as God's own country.

Now, what do you think?
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by jogego(m): 11:04am On Jun 01, 2005
Basic secondary school economics. Laws of demand and suppply also apply to Labor which is a factor of production. Labor will move to where the remuneration is best. Nothing anybody can do to stop that. It has been and will continue to be. And you cant really blame people for wanting to better their lots in life.Can you? Its not only USA that has such a scheme, Canada,Australia,Germany,New Zealand,UK, the list goes on and on.
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by Hunter(m): 11:38am On Jun 01, 2005
Australia does not have a visa lottery policy as it's quite frankly a crappy system, we have tight regulations on our immigration because 1) lots of people over stay there visa's 2) due to our location if we opened up our doors we would have alot of jobs taken by asian workers leaving no work for us.

you can check out Australia's immigration site at http://www.immi.gov.au/

also New Zealand has very open visa policy's compared to most countries especially us.
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by whizkid(f): 12:11pm On Jun 01, 2005
I'm afraid, I don't agree that the visa lottery is a modern day slavery or slavery in any form. The US visa lottery has given people the opportunity to school and work in the US which ordinarily you have to give an arm and leg to achieve. How many people can afford school fees overseas moreso when the cost for a foreign student is even twice and sometimes thrice as much as citizens pay. But with the visa/green card lottery you can pay like you are a citizen and still have the opportunity to work to defray school and living expenses.

If we can get the best of education and other basics, who would be thinking of applying for a visa lottery? The US government has given the developing and underdeveloped countries oppotunities to better their lots and we call it slavery?
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by jogego(m): 12:30pm On Jun 01, 2005
Hidden_Hunter:

Australia does not have a visa lottery policy as it's quite frankly a crappy system

what I meant was that this other countries all have an immigration form to bring in the best brains available in the world, not neccesarily a visa lottery sytem. Canada, UK, Australia all use a points method
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by loomboc(m): 5:46pm On Jun 01, 2005
Trish,

What I was thinking and also believed is that these countries called (Developed) trying to help the under-developed ones can't do them for free.

They knew quite well that after your stay and school, you'll surely stay behind in their country and they take it back by working for them though you will be paid but the knowledge will never leave their country because you on your part will not want to leave because of the pastures.

After many years of lottery they could have pilled up all tribes through out the globe and thus became powerful than any nation because they at that point, had every thing to fight any nation since they had their people thus having their knowledge.

So Trish, I think if all these people come back home it won't be regarded as slavery but the development as you said. Secondly, remember that in the olden days once people has been sold they have gone forever. So what do you think now?
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by whizkid(f): 2:04pm On Jun 02, 2005
I think it is a matter of choice. You can get your green card and come back to your country to help develop it, there is no restraining order attached to the visa. It only requires you to be away for not more than six months because you need to report to your parole officer. I know people who have come back with their education and work experience with International organisations to start up businesses in their motherland and believe me, they are successful. I do not thing such people would consider themselves slaves.
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by Seun(m): 4:02pm On Jun 02, 2005
Parole officer? What does this have to do with the Visa Lottery?

("In criminal justice systems, parole is the supervised release of a prisoner before the completion of their sentence. Wikipedia"wink
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by Pinky(f): 12:35am On Jun 03, 2005
loomboc:

but the knowledge will never leave their country because you on your part will not want to leave because of the pastures.

i dont buy the idea that they wont want to leave.. how on earth will u see suffering somewhere & go there. look no one likes to suffer in this world. everyone wants the convenient way out so i dont see any reason why some1 who is making it in d USA should want to come back to Nigeria.....where everything goes wrong....
dont forget that Africans re fetish.. they just cant afford to see some1 prosper
so pls stop saying we re being enslaved by foreign countries. leaving for another country or not is simply a choice. if some countries re going to use VISA  LOTTERY to get more man power (its 1 of their motives, we all know) so be it. how would u expect them to train u a Nigerian in the U.S or Canada & then, simply let u go... u wont cos  u re enjoying the state compared to urs. IF Nigerians need man-power & brains... let them equip those of us still in Nigeria
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by AfricanPrince1: 4:12pm On Jun 03, 2005
I think the American Visa Lottery programme is not a modern day slavery, and i don't see any reason why it should be. They say a man who think about 2day and 4gets 2morrow is a foolish man, Americans do and make things in a way that even in ages to come that particular thing will still be practiced, unlike Nigeria. Nigeria is a country blessed with not only rich Natural resources but also gifted and talented individuals, let me refer u guys to the man who made the fastest computer in history, the guy is a pure Nigerian to the core.......and we still have many others with great talents and brain even more dan he's. Probabely the guy migrated to America to study or maybe tru this Visa lottery, there he made his dreams and actualized his goals, had it been he remained in Nigerian maybe he could'nt have made the fastest computer in History. My point is Nigeria has the manpower and also the resources but we have no sence of direction to think of the future, dats the simple problem. So plz just think of the American Visa Lottery Programme as a welcomed development, nobody wants to be in darkness 4ever....Wot i know is that one day Nigeria will have a leader that can take us to the promised land, till then let us make use of the opputunity at hand. Finally, remember wot our elders say: If one road is closed look 4 another open road, Is not wise for a man to stand in one position while watching a Masquerade else he will see nothin..........Peace
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by loomboc(m): 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2005
Thanks African queen, but you know what the guy in question as yu said had never come back here in Niger to establish or even train others so that we can say he had return back home all he studied, but instead the name "A NIGERIAN" continues to boom the globe but nothing to show for it.
Remember the more our people migrates the less manpower we've gotten and with this, we cant develop,cos those that suppose to do the development were those that migrated throuhg this modern method of keeping people(slavery)
So Queen, what do you think ?
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by kazey(m): 8:54am On Jul 06, 2005
So plz just think of the American Visa Lottery Programme as a welcomed development, nobody wants to be in darkness 4ever.

Those in Nigeria are in darkness rolleyes. Common, what are you saying. American their America also started somewhere. They didnt run out of their country, when there were problems, especially the epidemic during the industrial age. They developed themselves, even though they were having problems during industrialization they didnt give up, they struggled hard. Have you studied American History before?
Especially during the era of Industrialization. Please get your facts straight.

A modern day slavery? Depends on the purpose pf the migration. If its for greener pastures in a strugglers mode (Its slavery), if its for greener pasture in an expatriate mode (its not), For futher studies (Its not). For other missions that do not involve struggling to survive (its not).
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by Justmoi(f): 6:55pm On Jul 11, 2005
Seun:

Parole officer? What does this have to do with the Visa Lottery?

("In criminal justice systems, parole is the supervised release of a prisoner before the completion of their sentence. Wikipedia"wink

visa lottery winners do not have to report to a parole officer.

After the papers are processed, what a lottery winner receives is a permanent resident card, entitling said person to live in the States. To maintain your status as a resident, it means that you must live in the United States for at least six months out of every year. Immigration officers at the airport can tell if you have been out of the country for more than six months out of the year. If this is the case, then technically (it is hardly invoked, usually it is just brought to the persons attention and continued behavior along that line may affect a citizenship application filed in the future) your permanent resident status may be invoked.

This may be what the poster meant.
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by ABIMBOLA77(f): 5:19pm On Feb 08, 2006
post this topic to OBJ
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Feb 08, 2006
nope bro, this is not modern day slavery because u are absolutely not compelled to apply for the lottery neither is the visa imposed on you. you do it of your own freewill, besides you are absolutely free to do whatsoever you wish in the USA.
If nigeria wants to keep her best brains, let her improve the standard of living of her own citizens, Americans and Europeans know that africans and asians have the manpower, they bring in this pple to do the jobs most americans won't do. Do you know that most of the phd scholarships and fellowships in this country goes to asians? Because Americans don't frankly go into science and biomedical science, trust the asians, they are taking absolute advantage of the situation and guess who is gaining? of course the american economy!

Loomboc, what would you do if u won the visa lottery today? Move to the USA or refuse to be a "modern day slave"?
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by bigbumper(f): 11:23am On Feb 10, 2006
I kinda understand the point l[b]oomboc[/b] is trying to make. Loads of foreigners,  living in other parts of the world do not get the recognition they deserve, nor get paid what they are really worth.

These developed countries open their doors to foreigners because someone needs to do the dirty work that their own people do not want to do. Examples in Britain include the west indians and asians that were brought over to reconstruct the country after the war, the recent EU expansion that allowed the further 10 countries to join partly in the hope that they would cover the menial jobs that their people refuse to do, etc. These people never get paid the same wages as there British counterpart.

In most jobs foreigners don't even get paid the same rate as their British counterpart. Even a lot of people in managerial positions know that the white guy under him usually gets paid more than he does. Chances of promotion are usually slim and non-existent.   

Nigeria is a country blessed by God with good brain. People like to study, even to the extent of acquiring one, two or even ten degrees, yet don't get any recognition, and have to make do with low paid security jobs, cleaning,  driving a taxi, etc. This in turn is the reason why a lot of them turn to fraud to make ends meet.

A lot of them cannot contemplate returning to Nigeria because they have nothing to take back home, hence remain in the vicious cycle of working every God-given unsocial hours to make ends meet.

They have no one to turn to for help because there is no family in UK, it is everyman for himself, a dog-eat-dog world. Aunties, uncles, brothers. sisters, relatives, etc who constantly pester your parents back at home to send you over only need you to come and look after their kids and do all their housework, and would not hesitate too chuck you out if you cannot do this for them. They would have called your parents back home to lie to them thay you've been staying out late or keeping bad company or you have seduced their man/woman, etc. A lot of the [/b][/i]nice[b][i] ones do not even bother to come and pick you from the airport, telling you to find your way to theirs.  Some give numbers that they cannot be reached on or simply switch off their phone, etc. We all know their is a lot of sad stories out there so i would not bore you on.  Perhaps someone should start another forum to hear people's experiences with relatives of when they first arrived from Nigeria.
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by olat(m): 9:37pm On Feb 13, 2006
I think loomboc is very right, its all part of neo-colonialism. Unfortunately, we can't do anything to that, atleast 4 now.
But the journey of re-writing the history, I mean taking our own future in our hands have to start now. The chinese
example is a food for thought! Even our (inorganise) political structure, our crumbling economic system and our falling
social/cultural civilisations; all work for the American goal. I hope a few people will understand this and prepare for the struggle ahead. Food for thought!
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by pearl2(m): 10:43pm On Feb 13, 2006
Its not modern slavery at all.
In the days of slavery,u're forced into the ship,on to the plantation.u're not allowed to go back.REMEMBER kUNTA kUNTE?
With visa lottery,u fill the form,pray to win it,throw a party when u do,and off to the US u go.then u send money home through Western Union.
U're free to pack your load and go back if u so wish.u're not bound by chain.
No doubt many lives have been change positively by it.{education,career,etc}
Somebody aptly observed,that in the days of slavery u need a whip to drive people into the ship,but today,u'll need whip to drive people from the ship bound for the US.
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by tipsy289(m): 2:28pm On Feb 15, 2006
I dont see this as a modern day slavery. Its ur choice, if u want 2 remain here dont apply, its simple.no wahala if u want betta, its how u work on it.
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by emmydee(m): 5:54pm On Feb 12, 2008
Hmmm, sometimes people wish to be heard. EDV Lottery is a God sent opportunity. Lots and lots of people in Africa have benefited immensely from it. Yes, the US is gathering the best brains for the future. So, whats' wrong with that. Africa (including Naija) is a land of immeasurable suffering. Hard -to-come by opportunities. So, our people who migrated have found it a lot easier to eke out a living faster than living in Africa.

Some one walked into my office during d US visa lottery period and said " our Bishop (Oyedepo) forbids the EDV Lottery that it's slavery". What modern day nonsense!
In fact, I no fit saut.
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by ty4real(m): 5:30pm On Feb 13, 2008
Misconceptions of the higest order! shocked shocked shocked shocked USA visa lottery slavery!Abeg, I trust the people saying that it is Slavery will be the first to use it, if their passport is brought to their house with the said visa ooo! Abeg, make nobody coem make mouth here!One for sure is this dont be desperate for visa, If you have the opportunity of getting one, you better run and pick it b4 anoda 9ja snatch am from u ooo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Visa Lottery: Modern Day Slavery? by kingose: 3:06pm On Feb 14, 2008
Need urgent visa appointment with the america, Germany, Spainish or italian embassy? call me now and get your interview date booked!! no upfron payment.

080-779-313-13 or 012120912 or email me on osedking01@yahoo.ca

(1) (Reply)

Help Pls;am Moving To Asaba And I Need Info / German Transit Visa Required For Nigerians Transiting From Germany To UK? / Greece Visa From Nigeria – How To Apply For Greek Schengen Visa Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.