Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,463 members, 7,808,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Too Much Sitting Can Be Hazardous To Your Health And Longevity - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Too Much Sitting Can Be Hazardous To Your Health And Longevity (628 Views)

Man Sitting In The Middle Of The Road With His Sick Child (Photos) / Is The Sugar In Fruits Good Or Bad For Your Health? / Having Malaria During Pregnancy Is Hazardous To Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Too Much Sitting Can Be Hazardous To Your Health And Longevity by gabonsky: 3:28am On Dec 21, 2016
I must confess I was amazed to learn that simply sitting for long periods could be as the headline says, “Hazardous to Your Health and Longevity.” So, it’s not enough to exercise regularly, you also need to make sure that you don’t sit immobile for long periods.

Dr. James Levine of The Mayo Clinic says, “Researchers have linked sitting for long periods of time with a number of health concerns, including obesity and metabolic syndrome — a cluster of conditions that includes increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol levels.

“Too much sitting also seems to increase the risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer.”

And, most disturbing to me was that the risk was “spending a few hours a week at the gym or otherwise engaged in moderate or vigorous activity doesn’t seem to significantly offset the risk.”
Dr. Levine concludes that “Rather, the solution seems to be less sitting and more moving overall. You might start by simply standing rather than sitting whenever you have the chance.”

Dr. Mercola writes, “Avoiding the temptation to stay rooted to the couch may be particularly important for seniors. If you’re older, you’d be wise to make a concerted effort to spend more time doing low-intensity, everyday activities—anything, really, to cut down on the time you spend in a seated position.”

How does an innocuous act like sitting become harmful to my health?
“The muscle activity needed for standing and other movement seems to trigger important processes related to the breakdown of fats and sugars within the body. When you sit, these processes stall — and your health risks increase. When you’re standing or actively moving, you kick the processes back into action,” Dr. Levine concludes.

According to David Dunstan with the Baker IDI Heart & Diabetes Institute in Melbourne, Australia, the lack of muscle contraction caused by sitting decreases blood flow through your body, thereby reducing the efficiency of biological processes.

Dr. Joan Vernikos, former director of NASA’s Life Sciences Division wrote the book Sitting Kills, Moving Heals based on her original NASA research on how weightlessness weakens astronauts’ muscles, bones and overall health.

The good news is that it doesn’t take a lot of extra effort to get up and move around a bit if you are watching TV or at a desk job. Since the sitting in a car on a long drive is equally bad, it would probably good to take more ‘rest’ stops along the way.

Eat less; move more. Words to live by.

Source: http://gabrielatanbiyi..com.ng/2016/12/too-much-sitting-can-be-hazardous-to.html

Re: Too Much Sitting Can Be Hazardous To Your Health And Longevity by emotions1: 3:40am On Dec 21, 2016
What if i'm travelling on a long journey....
Let's say 13-16 hours nko?? sad sad
Re: Too Much Sitting Can Be Hazardous To Your Health And Longevity by gabonsky: 3:52am On Dec 21, 2016
emotions1:
What if i'm travelling on a long journey....
Let's say 13-16 hours nko?? sad sad

Are you a frequent traveller or occasionally? this is a different case

“Too much sitting also seems to increase the risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer.”

The solution is Every sitting of one hours (60mins) in a particular spot or position, make sure you stand up and talk a walk close to 10 to 15mins.
Re: Too Much Sitting Can Be Hazardous To Your Health And Longevity by emotions1: 3:55am On Dec 21, 2016
gabonsky:

Are you a frequent traveller or occasionally? this is a different case

The solution is Every sitting of one hours (60mins) in a particular spot or position, make sure you stand up and talk a walk close to 10 to 15mins.

I am not a frequent traveller, a student precisely so I do go for holidays and where I reside is a 13 hours journey.
Re: Too Much Sitting Can Be Hazardous To Your Health And Longevity by gabonsky: 4:01am On Dec 21, 2016
emotions1:

I am not a frequent traveller, a student precisely so I do go for holidays and where I reside is a 13 hours journey.

Since you are not a frequent traveller, the risk is too low and always make sure you excerise yourself regularly in order to help your body mechanism.

All the best cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Too Much Sitting Can Be Hazardous To Your Health And Longevity by johnoj24(m): 2:48am On Mar 20, 2019
jamb sitting too?

(1) (Reply)

How To Loose Belly And Body Fat In 7 Days / An Overview Of Nose Reconstruction And Ethnic Nose Surgery / Woman Gives Birth To Sextuplets In Virginia After 18-years Of Marriage.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.