Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,781 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola (16812 Views)

Fashola Arrives Onitsha, Inspects Work On Second Niger Bridge- Photos / Nigeria Survived Past Abuses Only By God’s Grace – Buhari / Buhari Must Not Be Defeated In The North But Nigeria Come 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by nairalandaddict: 8:04am On Dec 21, 2016
Babatunde Fashola, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, on Tuesday told the youths not to despair because of the current economic situation, stressing that “there is light at the end of the tunnel.’’

The minister spoke in Abuja at the Special Town Hall Meeting for the youths, organised by the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture.

The town hall meeting was conceived to bridge communication gap between the government and the citizenry and also keep them informed of the policies and programmes of government,

Addressing the gathering, Fashola said that government felt the pains of Nigerians and was working hard to bring the country out of recession.

He said from his experience as a Nigerian, he had seen the country even in a more precarious situation when he was growing up and he never lost hope.

“Between 1979 and 1983 when I was in School, Nigeria had a lot of money in reserve. There was nothing we couldn’t buy, but by 1984 the money was gone.

We spent the money on all sorts of things including drinks. There is no kind of drinks that you will not find in the country then.

That was the time we started importing rice, other food items and exotic drinks.

However, 1989 was my first contact with recession. That was when it became very difficult to buy sugar and milk and all kinds of imported drinks suddenly disappeared,’’ he said.

Fashola also said that Nigeria was in recession in 1985 when it became difficult to sustain the cafeteria system in schools.

“We used to eat a meal at the cafeteria at 50 kobo including chicken, egg, bread and tea. To feed as a student then was N45 a month for three good meals daily. In 1985 when that disappeared, Nigeria did not disappear.’’

The minister said that when he left the university, it was the time travelling out of the country popularly known as “checking out Andrew,’’ was in vogue.

He said many of his mates left for greener pastures abroad but he remained in the country because of his strong belief that Nigeria is a land of opportunities.

“I believe so much in the future of this country, I remained, worked hard, though I never knew I will sit here as a minister. So, I want to say to you the youth, don’t lose faith, don’t despair, there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel,’’ he said.

Fashola said that the 2017 budget tagged “Budget of Recovery and Growth,’’ is meant to address recession and the government has set up the parameter for its success.

He, however underscored the need for Nigerians to “roll up our sleeves and work hard’’ to get the country out of the economic quagmire.

“Only the President, cannot recover and grow the economy, everybody must understand that we are at the time when we must work our hardest,’’ he said.

He recalled that for upward of three years before he was made minister, no contractor was paid, which led to shedding of jobs in the three sectors he is overseeing,

He said so far, the government had made two disbursements to ensure the contractors went back to site and recover lost jobs.

Speaking in the same vein, the Minister of Finance Kemi Adeosun, said the country “is coming out of one of its most difficult periods.’’

She said the government is investing massively in infrastructure and diversification of the economy to move away from dependence on oil.

SOURCE >>> https://www./news/3548-1989-recession-worse-nigeria-survived-fashola.html

[img]https://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Fashola.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by nmreports: 8:25am On Dec 21, 2016
People are suffering please and the reality is oblivious to those who are still able to get by.

The folks who are victims are:

1. The security guards at my office whose eye sockets are getting bigger daily.
2. The beggar with two kids who cant get someone to donate to her anymore.
3. The average contract bank marketer who cant take buses anymore and whose shoes are in tears.
4. The face-me-and-face-you occupant whose nightmare is how to make sure she buys chicken so neighbors dont look down at her.
5. The cleaner who cannot even afford his own meals anymore.
6. Parents who cannot afford Christmas clothing for their kids and have to recycle last years own.
7. MMM participants who had found solace in the scheme and are now anxious about the consequence of Jan 14.

These are the victims.

### Who has bought pack of juice and milk and milo lately. Even noodles... Things are costly and people are groaning.
It is sad that we are going through this as a nation
###

This Christmas is going to be my worst ever except there is intervention.

On the contrary folks, for insights into how different companies in Nigeria conduct their recruitment, visit: www.HRtechnique.com

You cannot afford to get into 2017 broke.

Fashola, we believed in you but what is going on?.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by TippyTop(m): 8:25am On Dec 21, 2016
“Between 1979 and 1983 when I was in School, Nigeria had a lot of money in reserve. There was nothing we couldn’t buy, but by 1984 the money was gone.
In 1984 there was recession and Bubu was head of state.
2016 there's another recession, guess who's head of state?
Same Bubu the recession man, is it coincidence that every time Bubu govern there's always recession?

Buhari presided over the two recessions in our history, quite a feat.

188 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Oyetboy(m): 8:25am On Dec 21, 2016
Our amiable minister of darkness.... I hail thee cool

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 21, 2016
grin
Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by deebrain(m): 8:26am On Dec 21, 2016
Sir.

With all due respect to the fact that you were a role model governor while at the helm of affairs in Lagos, You have really disappointed me.

You felt the pain of the recession and concluded it was the worst because you were at the receiving end. You were not in government. You paid for sugar and milk to eat bread.

Now you don't. You wake up in the morning, do you duties to your spouse and freshen up in the posh bathroom.

You go over to eat already made breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you don't eat any, it's because you don't have time for it, NEVER BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE MONEY TO AFFORD IT.

You folks are sick.

People are committing suicide because of hardship and these people are talking like this?!!!!

011, 001, 101, and the likes, have become a new way to define square meals. And you talk?

People have resorted to various schemes whether genuine or fraud just to make money to feed, and you dare compare your time with our own?!

Now it's not about having a job. It's about getting your salary and you dare talk?

I curse the day I voted for you and this government.

I survive by grace and my own businesses, but can you imagine when you go out and see hardship everyday? Hell, the number of fights between conductors and passengers (who don't have money to pay) is almost an every day experience.

May Got judge you for this statement.

I'm really pissed off.

91 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 21, 2016
See this yeye man
March 2015...I can provide stable electricity in 8 months

(Elected Power Minister by the most clueless one)

NOVEMBER 2016...Even Sango the god of lightning cannot provide 1kw of electricity.

Abeg resign

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 21, 2016
1989 was terrible.

Naira was devalued, salaries could not take someone home, and Nigerians were eating from the garbage bin (really!).

Also, SAP was sapping us seriously.

All because oil prices were low.

Things got better in 1990-1...thanks to the rise in oil prices then (Gulf oil windfall).

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by israelboy1(m): 8:26am On Dec 21, 2016
Comics handling the compass of our ship..... Disguising themselves as the captain

My fear now is that....even the light at the end of the tunnel has been stolen.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by three: 8:26am On Dec 21, 2016
The way this fellow employs his oratory skills to mislead is amazing!

Strategies to employ when speaking with Nigerian 'Youth'

STEP 1: Blame the Past Government
"He recalled that for upward of three years before he was made minister, no contractor was paid, which led to shedding of jobs in the three sectors he is overseeing,"

STEP 2: Engage in Self Praise
“I believe so much in the future of this country, I remained, worked hard, though I never knew I will sit here as a minister. So, I want to say to you the youth, don’t lose faith, don’t despair, there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel,’’ he said.

STEP 3: Pass the Buck
"He, however underscored the need for Nigerians to “roll up our sleeves and work hard’’ to get the country out of the economic quagmire."

“Only the President, cannot recover and grow the economy, everybody must understand that we are at the time when we must work our hardest,’’ he said."

STEP 4: Seat Back and allow the 'Youth' oooh and ahhh and wonder why they hadn't thought about it the way Mr. Fash had just laid it out

STEP 5: Patiently wait for another opportunity to 'school' the youth

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Orikinla(m): 8:26am On Dec 21, 2016
nairalandaddict:
Babatunde Fashola, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, on Tuesday told the youths not to despair because of the current economic situation, stressing that “there is light at the end of the tunnel.’’

The minister spoke in Abuja at the Special Town Hall Meeting for the youths, organised by the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture.

The town hall meeting was conceived to bridge communication gap between the government and the citizenry and also keep them informed of the policies and programmes of government,

Addressing the gathering, Fashola said that government felt the pains of Nigerians and was working hard to bring the country out of recession.

He said from his experience as a Nigerian, he had seen the country even in a more precarious situation when he was growing up and he never lost hope.

We spent the money on all sorts of things including drinks. There is no kind of drinks that you will not find in the country then.

That was the time we started importing rice, other food items and exotic drinks.

However, 1989 was my first contact with recession. That was when it became very difficult to buy sugar and milk and all kinds of imported drinks suddenly disappeared,’’ he said.

Fashola also said that Nigeria was in recession in 1985 when it became difficult to sustain the cafeteria system in schools.

“We used to eat a meal at the cafeteria at 50 kobo including chicken, egg, bread and tea. To feed as a student then was N45 a month for three good meals daily. In 1985 when that disappeared, Nigeria did not disappear.’’

The minister said that when he left the university, it was the time travelling out of the country popularly known as “checking out Andrew,’’ was in vogue.

He said many of his mates left for greener pastures abroad but he remained in the country because of his strong belief that Nigeria is a land of opportunities.

Fashola said that the 2017 budget tagged “Budget of Recovery and Growth,’’ is meant to address recession and the government has set up the parameter for its success.

He, however underscored the need for Nigerians to “roll up our sleeves and work hard’’ to get the country out of the economic quagmire.

“Only the President, cannot recover and grow the economy, everybody must understand that we are at the time when we must work our hardest,’’ he said.

He recalled that for upward of three years before he was made minister, no contractor was paid, which led to shedding of jobs in the three sectors he is overseeing,

He said so far, the government had made two disbursements to ensure the contractors went back to site and recover lost jobs.

Speaking in the same vein, the Minister of Finance Kemi Adeosun, said the country “is coming out of one of its most difficult periods.’’

She said the government is investing massively in infrastructure and diversification of the economy to move away from dependence on oil.

SOURCE >>> https://www./news/3548-1989-recession-worse-nigeria-survived-fashola.html

1 Like

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by kingsamosy(m): 8:26am On Dec 21, 2016
I hope recession is not responsible for woes in power sector too.
Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by KOMBE: 8:26am On Dec 21, 2016
Why are we always talking about the past when we have every opportunity to improve the lives of ordinary Nigeria citizen. All the ministers should be sacked as they are not ready to work

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by gratiaeo(m): 8:27am On Dec 21, 2016
useless government

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Lilimax(f): 8:27am On Dec 21, 2016
Wetin this man dey yarn undecided?

I hope there'll be stable power supply this yuletide season embarassed

3 Likes

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by paulchineduN(m): 8:27am On Dec 21, 2016
They continue rubbing salt to injury with rhetorics

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by OZAOEKPE(f): 8:27am On Dec 21, 2016
FASHOLA THEY TAKE IGBO grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by AlexCk: 8:27am On Dec 21, 2016
As much as we'll love to relive history Mr Fashola, y'all just try to fix this problem we have ASAP.

It becoming pretty bad for the poor and middle class.

Funny enough shaa
Be like recession dey affect the harmattan oo, no sign of harmattan for lag, na so so heat. (pretty sure it's climate change ish tho)

Also, no banger sound oo, imagine oo, abi dollar sef don affect banger price ni,
Common robb na #40, aboki be telling me it's dollar that's affecting the price. Imagine!! shocked

3 Likes

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Aridsman: 8:28am On Dec 21, 2016
Ok we have heared.. Next lie pls.

1 Like

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 21, 2016
I don't blame him. Tinubu & Co have used his fame as best performing governor to build a formidable political party and all he got was the job of 3 ministries combined together for the salary of one. angry

2 Likes

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by dragonking3: 8:28am On Dec 21, 2016
To give fashola slap just dey hungry me angry angry angry

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by AngelicBeing: 8:28am On Dec 21, 2016
Nigeria is sinking like a ship without direction, our democracy is enveloped in paraplegic crinkum- crankum , Nigerians must all rise to bring to focal hiceps & biceps , Nigeria is practicing pluto - mobo-kakistocracy and not democracy or we are practicing demonstration of craze sad sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by yinkslinks(m): 8:28am On Dec 21, 2016
How old were u then?
nairalandaddict:

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Atiku2019: 8:29am On Dec 21, 2016
Sai Baba Sai Baba grin grin
Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by Handsomecole(m): 8:29am On Dec 21, 2016
When I was a child My Parents would take us to Kingsway Dugbe Ibadan to see Father
Christmas in December......
I can't forget that train within the complex that would take us on a ride....the very super hot
meat pie, the pleasant but scary face of Father Christmas, the joyful scream and a big bag
loaded with gifts.....in those days, Father Christmas was not a profit making venture!!!
Soon, the place became TIB, SpringBank, Enterprise Bank and now Heritage Bank....Heritage
bank sacked over 400 workers this December, many wept inside that same building that used
to bring smiles to our faces in December.
Fun is gradually evaporating from Nigeria, wickedness is on the increase. You hardly trust your
neighbor. Religion is becoming more deadly and more violent. Politics is the exclusive right of
thieves. Police mediate between kidnappers and victims. Infrastructures are dying, Nigeria is
broke but government officials live in stupendous wealth.
Lai Mohammed said we should thank God that at least we are still alive....Adeosun is full of
phonetics while the economy is speaking pidgin. But our economy's pidgin is better than
Dalung's grammar.
Fashola said yesterday that 1989 recession was worse than the one we have today....help me
ask him has Nigeria ever recovered since then? And how much was dollar in 1989? How much
was a liter of petrol in 1989? Fashola shouldn't put his hand in our mouth o because we will bite
it!!!! Why can't he compare the economy of Nigeria now and the one we had during the civil
war and tell us which one is better?
No amount of explanation or promise can heal a hungry man....
Our Problem is Barcelona FC and the solution we adopt is Kwara United!
May God save the masses of Nigeria.

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by lonelydora: 8:29am On Dec 21, 2016
They no dey use "suffer head" brag. So says a saying.

That it was worse in 1989 and we survived doesn't mean you will bring it back.

Just like saying, because I went to primary/secondary school on legs means my children will suffer the same even when I have fleet of cars.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by realGURU(m): 8:29am On Dec 21, 2016
ok
Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by donziller(m): 8:29am On Dec 21, 2016
idiot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1989 Recession Was Worse, But Nigeria Survived – Fashola by yemmy66: 8:29am On Dec 21, 2016
We want Fashola back

Fashola as President 2019

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor El-Rufai Hosts Seriake Dickson (Photos) / APC Appoints Yekini Nabena As Acting National Publicity Secretary / 2023 Presidency: I Can't Disown Tinubu - Emir Of Kastina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.