Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,840 members, 7,806,361 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market (14225 Views)

Naira To Trade At 386/$ As CBN Resumes Forex Sale To BDCs / CBN Seeks End To Naira Mutilation / CBN Seeks Sweeping Powers To Seize Foreign Currency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by centvin008(m): 4:46pm On Dec 21, 2016
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is seeking to ensure there is no black market as the naira sinks to 490 to a single dollar.

On Wednesday, the naira was trading at 314 at the official market, with parallel market recording 490/$1.

The British pound stood at 605, while the European Union currency, euro went for 510, a far cry of its 388,  327 range at the official side of the market respectively.
Vice President YemiOsinbajo, and Kemi Adeosun, minister of finance, had previously said the CBN was working on a foreign exchange system that eliminates arbitrage in the forex market.

Isaac Okorafor, the spokesperson for the bank, was quoted by Reuters to have said the bank was “ensuring that the forex market operates as effectively as we would envisage”.

He also said the aim was to “ensure there is no black market” but did not give details of how this would be achieved.

Godwin Emefiele, governor of the CBN, had said consistency that the parallel market could not be used to evaluate the true value of the local currency.

“It is unfair to use the shallow market as a basis for determining the value of our currency. No one uses the Travelex rate at Heathrow to determine the exchange rate for the pound in the United Kingdom,” Emefiele had said.

“So it is unfair to use that to determine the value of our currency. Those who are dealing in the market are doing so illegally. We should not be encouraging the tendencies of those people who are involved in capital flight, or those who want to conduct foreign exchange business without providing necessary documentation.”

http://leadership.ng/news/564735/naira-dips-to-n490-as-cbn-seeks-end-to-black-market

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by veekid(m): 4:51pm On Dec 21, 2016

Buhari!!!!!!! you have failed this nation

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by lifestyle1(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
90% of this dollars go to China and then exchanged to Yuan. Why not just adapt yuan as the main Forex for trading ?

And In few months dollar will crash naturally.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by SWORD419(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
k
Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by AroOkigbo(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
What you get when you vote in a man with NEPA bill certificate into power

Ayam not surprised cool

21 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Clone2020(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
If you are in the US or have relatives in the US trying to send money to naija, I will exchange the funds at 410/$, simply deposit into my US bank account and receive instant funding into your Nigerian account. Don't bother with western Union and co, they exchange at 375/$ with fees and the exchange rate drops to around 345/$.

See my contact below.

1 Like

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
This is unacceptable.

Emefile need to Resign

3 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by three: 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
CBN IS the Black market!!!!

32 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Artixmentor(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
can we really eliminate the black market as far as forex is concerned, these people should look for solution rather than creating more problems for us through their policies

2 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
Dollars!

1 Like

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Gwilld(m): 4:53pm On Dec 21, 2016
undecided
Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by alsudaes1(m): 4:53pm On Dec 21, 2016
What becomes of those Mallams involved in it?

3 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by sammyj: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
CBN should use policy and systems to curve this situation. I also advise the FG look for a way to increase the in flow of Dollars reduce the pressure on the parallel market!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by bokohaman: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
The naira is sooo dull just like our number one citizen. Wake me up when it gets to #1000/$

1 Like

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by 3pointz(m): 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
Izoraaaait. Patiently anticipating 2000 to a dollar
Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Pavore9: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
Our foreign exchange market is messed up. CBN can not end the black market because banks are also benefitting from it!

3 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by ajbf: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
All is well even in the underground well. I want to believe that the APC leaders and their followers still remember the poster below.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by OZAOEKPE(f): 4:55pm On Dec 21, 2016
veekid:

Buhari you have failed this nation
onatisi, this one na chronic buharist grin grin grin grin grin come see through him destiny cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by calaohuru(m): 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2016
Observing.
Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Miles300: 4:57pm On Dec 21, 2016
alsudaes1:
What becomes of those Mallams involved in it?
it means they will av to register officially to be in the market , thus been regulated by the Cbn , instead of selling at black market rate , they will be selling at Cbn official rates

2 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by nextstep(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
“It is unfair to use the shallow market as a basis for determining the value of our currency. No one uses the Travelex rate at Heathrow to determine the exchange rate for the pound in the United Kingdom,” - Emefiele

But the rate at Heathrow is a close proxy of the official rate. Nonetheless, what matters is not the official rate of the currency (especially interbank), but how much you can actually get it for. It's no use if the CBN cannot defend its desired rate with actual dollars.

If he wants the official and parallel rates to match, he should back it up with actual money, not talk. If he can't back it up, then he should allow it to find its market level. I can't go to Heathrow and say: "but my CBN governor said that the exchange rate is..."

The _real_ problem is all this intervention without any real structural changes. Just making sure we don't import refined petroleum (i.e. we have working refineries) will reduce a good amount of demand.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by emeka2847: 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2016
It will soon regain 1 naira before losing 5 naira again.

One step forward 5 steps backward

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by onatisi(m): 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2016
OZAOEKPE:

onatisi, this one na chronic buharist grin grin grin grin grin come see through him destiny cheesy
Their necks have growing thin,I told u all of them will start thinking straight

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by OZAOEKPE(f): 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2016
onatisi:

Their necks have growing thin,I told u all of them will start thinking straight
grin
Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by UnknownT: 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2016
Why perfectmoney n other e-cutrencies dey go down? Now $1-#420
Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by jericco1(m): 5:03pm On Dec 21, 2016
kenonze:
This is unacceptable.
Emefile need to Resign

for why na....things will get better
Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by nextstep(m): 5:03pm On Dec 21, 2016
I see where this is going. Before Buhari leaves it will be #1000 to $1. Then they will finally rebase the currency to make #1 to $1. The guy actually has sense*

*I'm being sarcastic. angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by onatisi(m): 5:06pm On Dec 21, 2016

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 21, 2016
lifestyle1:
90% of this dollars go to China and then exchanged to Yuan. Why not just adapt yuan as the main Forex for trading ?

And In few months dollar will crash naturally.
hmm! good thinking. don't you think Yuan will go the way of dollar with time?

3 Likes

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by djlaqua91(m): 5:10pm On Dec 21, 2016
New day, same old sh*t

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by ooshinibos: 5:10pm On Dec 21, 2016
sammyj:
CBN should use policy and systems to curve this situation. I also advise the FG look for a way to increase the in flow of Dollars reduce the pressure on the parallel market!!! cool
they want to but the oil price is too low
Re: Naira Dips To N490/$ As CBN Seeks End To Black Market by Rick9(m): 5:11pm On Dec 21, 2016
Dem just dey kill Naira everyday

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Access Bank Limit On International Transactions On Pos And Internet Channels / How To Rake In Higher Income On Fiverr In 2018 / What Is That Thing You Bought Or Project That Really Shook Your Bank Account?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.