Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) (894 Views)

Nigerian Lady Engaged By Her Facebook Lover: "Facebook Paid Me Off" / Lovers Who Met On An Instagram Comment Section Get Engaged / 25 Things You Are Ashamed To Ask About Vaginąs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by lola024(f): 11:54am On Dec 22, 2016
When you know, you know, right? Well, maybe. While gut instincts are all well and good (and often scarily accurate), here are 25 other things to make sure you cover before either of you gets down on one knee. Because who wants to take chances with the rest of her life?

1. The difference between like, lust, and love. Only one is worthy of an engagement.

2. Each other’s career goals. What do you each want to accomplish in life — and how will it affect your relationship with each other? Knowing what you each want to achieve and supporting those dreams is a critical foundation for any couple.

3. How you each feel about faith. Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Mormon, Scientologist, Wiccan, agnostic, atheist — it’s not the belief system that matters but what it means to your life as a couple (and your future life as a family).

4. Each other’s spending habits. And debt situations. And savings plans. Get it all out on the table early. “Money secrets have no place in a marriage,” Kelley Long, a CPA and financial planner, writes in the Wall Street Journal. And even if you have different spending and saving styles, it doesn’t mean your relationship is doomed. “It is simply an acknowledgement of a fundamental difference in money attitudes,” Long says.

5. Whether you want children — and when. It is important to be on the same page regarding your general timeline for starting a family, if you want to start a family at all. But you don’t need to agree on how many kids just yet. “Once a couple has their first kid, they will have a better idea of how many children they really want,” Jaclyn Bronstein, a mental health counselor in New York, told The Knot.

6. … And if you do both want kids, how you plan on parenting them. At least, in theory.

7. Each other’s parents/siblings/immediate family. These might be your in-laws. Know what you are getting into.

8. Your significant other’s relationships with said family. Love, hate, love-hate — it’s important to understand the dynamics at play.

9. The past. Like it or not, it helped shape who you both are at this very moment. You don’t need to provide every exhaustive detail, but you should have a general roadmap for how you each got to the present.

10. Any previous spouses and/or children. This should come up in No. 9, but I’m not taking any chances. Nobody likes a surprise ex.

11. How you each respond to stress. One of my main theories (among others) for why the majority of Bachelor/Bachelorette engagements fail is because they do not face real-world, anxiety-inducing, pressure cooker situations. Stress can be the ultimate saboteur in a relationship, and studies show that even happy marriages can end up in divorce thanks to “stressful life events, low commitment and negative communication.” But if you know how you each handle life’s obstacles, big and small, you can tackle them successfully together. “If you perceive your partner is there for you and supportive of you, it buffers and reduces the impact of chronic stress,” psychologist Gian Gonzaga told USA Today.

12. How they take their coffee in the morning. Which section of the paper they read first. Whether they prefer crunchy or smooth peanut butter. It may seem like minutiae, but love sometimes comes in the tiniest details.

13. Each other’s worst qualities. Love involves elevating the best traits, and accepting the worst ones.

14. Their friends! I’m a believer that meeting the friends can be even more important than meeting the family, because friends are the people that your better half chooses to spend time around. If you haven't met your S.O.'s inner circle, then the relationship isn't that serious — and certainly not serious enough for an engagement.

15. Their stance on major political issues. How does your partner feel about gay marriage? Abortion? Voters’ rights? Gun control? You don’t necessarily have to agree, but their opinions (and the arguments they use to justify them) can be very telling.

16. How to fight and make up. You are going to disagree. It happens. And to an extent, it is healthy. “Conflict is inevitable,” relationship expert Ashley Davis Bush told YourTango. “But conflict has its benefits if you use it productively. Use respectful language with each other and be willing to listen to your partner.”

17. Each other's living habits. You don't have to live together yet, but it is a good idea to at least have an idea of what it will be like when you do. “It is not whether you live with your partner as much as how you live with your partner,” author Megan Jay told the Atlantic. “I am not against living together, but I am for young adults being more aware that it is an arrangement that has upsides and downsides.”

18. Your sexual chemistry. Yes, this is totally making me blush because I am a 12-year-old at heart, but knowing how you connect on that level is pretty critical to relationship — and marriage — success.

19. How to talk to each other. No phones. No emails. No texts. Just straight-up, face-to-face, brutally honest communication. This is vital, especially considering “communication problems” were cited as the most common factor (65 percent) that leads to divorce in a recent YourTango survey.

20. Their hobbies. Whether it's golf, running, reading, collecting, or live-action-role-playing, you want to know the things that your love loves to do. Like Jennifer Aniston says in The Break Up, "It's not about you loving the ballet, it's about the person that you love loving the ballet."

21. How you each feel about travel. Striking a balance between a homebody and someone with a case of wanderlust is one tricky seesaw act. Determine whether travel is a priority in your relationship before committing to marriage.

22. Your views on household duties. Does your significant other expect a partner who will take care of all the chores? Or will it be a shared responsibility (ahem)? “People are going to disagree about how to run the house, chores, who cleans the bathroom,” marriage and family therapist Rebecca Hendrix told The Knot. “But those are the kinds of things that people can, if they work on their communication style, work through.”

23. The difference between a wedding and a marriage. A wedding is one day. A marriage is (or at least, should be) a lifetime. If you want to throw a party, there are plenty of other things you can celebrate if you aren't ready for matrimony.

24. That being said, you should talk about your vision for a wedding. Because eloping at City Hall and 500 people at the Plaza in June are two very different scenarios. Plus, planning a wedding can be extremely stressful — you and your fiancé need to be on the same team.

25. What you want out of the future. No one has a crystal ball, and life loves to throw curveballs. But since one of the top reasons for divorce, according to family law firm Slater & Gordon, is that the couple “wanted different things,” you should share your thoughts, hopes and dreams for what the future might look like — together.

Visit www.moral24.com for more....

Mentions
60 Get to Know You Questions for a New Romance
[url=http://www.moral24.com/Thread-i-will-marry-in-2017-%E2%80%93-52-year-old-kemi-olunloyo] I will marry in 2017 – 52-year-old Kemi Olunloyo[/url]
Top 10 most popular celebrity in Nigeria dead or alive feel free to add yours
[url=http://www.moral24.com/Thread-record-label-owners-promoters-guilty-of-sexual-harassment-%E2%80%93-yemi-alade]Record label owners, promoters guilty of sexual harassment – Yemi Alade[/url]

1 Like

Re: 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 22, 2016
Na true?

1 Like

Re: 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by feodan: 11:58am On Dec 22, 2016
Owk, Thanks 4 D Insight

1 Like

Re: 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by moral24(f): 11:59am On Dec 22, 2016
clapping....

1 Like

Re: 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by lola024(f): 12:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
2kaybiel:
Na true?

you are welcome
Re: 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by lola024(f): 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2016
moral24:
clapping....

keeping record

Re: 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by lola024(f): 12:02pm On Dec 22, 2016
feodan:
Owk, Thanks 4 D Insight

hmmmmm
Re: 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by emitope: 6:58pm On Dec 24, 2016
The 16th point is very important... Its draining and sad when u have to be the ice breaker or u have to be the one to apologize no matter whether u r right or wrong.... It's as frustrating as teaching an eighteen month old how to ride a car....
Re: 25 Things To Know Before You Get Engaged (thank Me Later) by Vanessa88(f): 7:18pm On Dec 24, 2016
Lovely piece.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Crossover Night 2016 !!!! / Most Exciting Places To Have Sex In / Which Scenario Is Worst For An Above 30 Year Old Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.