Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,738 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:24 PM

How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport (20239 Views)

Construction Of New Terminal At Murtala Mohammed Int'l Airport, Lagos / Rats Hanging From The Ceiling At Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos (Photos) / Flood At Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos Lobby During Rainfall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by obidevine(m): 5:19pm On Dec 22, 2016
Hello nairalanders, I'd like you all  to read this my epistle on my bad experience with a travel / hotel  booking agency  in Muritala Mohammed international  Airport, Lagos , Nigeria.

I and my wife got a 3 months  visitor's visa to South Africa , our visas were granted after we had satisfied all their visa requirements ( with our hotel bookings and statement of account verified) .

On the day we were meant to travel, we got to the departure area of Kenya airways (the airline company we were meant to fly with), the airline attendants asked for a copy of our  hotel booking  and "yellow card",  to my surprise I and my wife forgot the print out of our hotel booking, but luckily we had our yellow cards.

The flight attendant told us that we couldn't go through without our hotel reservation, I told him that we got the visa because the south African Embassy had verified all our documents -hotel reservations included-  before granting us the visa , the attendant ( a nigerian) was adamant that without the reservation we couldn't go through, he even told us that even if he let's us pass that when we get to South Africa they would send us back because we didn't have evidence that we had a hotel reservation,  I thought to myself " which kain wahala be this sef".

A lady who  was standing beside called my wife aside and said she could help us book another hotel accommodation, she directed us to her desk just opposite where the airline attendant was harassing us, we had to cancel our former booking and eventually ended up paying 105,000 naira for 4 nights stay in another  hotel, the lady printed out the document and handed it to us, we took it to the attendant and he granted us passage.

When we eventually arrived Johannesburg, South Africa to our surprise they didn't even ask us for the hotel booking, they only checked our yellow cards , warmly welcomed us to their beautiful country and stamped us in , we found our way to the hotel they booked for us,  after showing the hotel manager ( who coincidentally is a Nigerian)  the booking print out  he looked at it and told us that the booking was only done for 1 night, I and my wife didn't look at the print out in Nigeria because we were in a hurry not to miss our flight ( it was when the hotel manager pointed out a couple of things  on the printout that we  realized to our dismay that the lady in Nigeria booked only one night for us after collecting money and claiming she booked 4 nights) , I and my wife were perplexed, we had to pay for another 4 nights . It's obvious that the Nigerian man working with Kenya airways that checked our documents at Muritala Mohammed airport  connived with the hotel booking agency to rip us off.

The reason I'm writing this is to bring to the fore the fact that this travel / hotel booking agency with their desk directly opposite Kenya airways departure section is a big scam ( they didn't even put their name on the receipt because they know they are a scam) the reason why we didn't scrutinize the printout like I said was because we were in a hurry not to miss our flight.  I really don't know why we ( Nigerians) like to be so cruel to ourselves. This should serve as a warning to all of us that we should always scrutinize receipts and other documents given to us.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by BlackDBagba: 5:23pm On Dec 22, 2016
Not very easy to read. All the same, thanks for sharing.... cool

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by obidevine(m): 5:31pm On Dec 22, 2016
BlackDBagba:
Not very easy to read. All the same, thanks for sharing.... cool

Thanks bro, but just read it

9 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by curious123: 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2016
The way we treat each other is rather poor. Imagine being duped by ur country person. Poverty is trully bringing out d worst in people. Sorry for ur ordeal

obidevine:
Hello nairalanders, I'd like you all  to read this my epistle on my bad experience with a travel / hotel  booking agency  in Muritala Mohammed international  Airport, Lagos , Nigeria. I and my wife got a 3 months  visitor's visa to South Africa , our visas were granted after we had satisfied all their visa requirements ( with our hotel bookings and statement of account verified) . On the day we were meant to travel, we got to the departure area of Kenya airways (the airline company we were meant to fly with), the airline attendants asked for a copy of our  hotel booking  and "yellow card",  to my surprise I and my wife forgot the print out of our hotel booking, but luckily we had our yellow cards. The flight attendant told us that we couldn't go through without our hotel reservation, I told him that we got the visa because the south African Embassy had verified all our documents -hotel reservations included-  before granting us the visa , the attendant ( a nigerian) was adamant that without the reservation we couldn't go through, he even told us that even if he let's us pass that when we get to South Africa they would send us back because we didn't have evidence that we had a hotel reservation,  I thought to myself " which kain wahala be this sef", a lady who  was standing beside called my wife aside and said she could help us book another hotel accommodation, she directed us to her desk just opposite where the airline attendant was harassing us, we had to cancel our former booking and eventually ended up paying 105,000 naira for 4 nights stay in another  hotel, the lady printed out the document and handed it to us, we took it to the attendant and he granted us passage. When we eventually arrived Johannesburg, South Africa to our surprise they didn't even ask us for the hotel booking, they only checked our yellow cards , warmly welcomed us to their beautiful country and stamped us in , we found our way to the hotel they booked for us,  after showing the hotel manager ( who coincidentally is a Nigerian)  the booking print out  he looked at it and told us that the booking was only done for 1 night, I and my wife didn't look at the print out in Nigeria because we were in a hurry not to miss our flight ( it was when the hotel manager pointed out a couple of things  on the printout that we  realized to our dismay that the lady in Nigeria booked only one night for us after collecting money and claiming she booked 4 nights) , I and my wife were perplexed, we had to pay for another 4 nights . It's obvious that the Nigerian man working with Kenya airways that checked our documents at Muritala Mohammed airport  connived with the hotel booking agency to rip us off. The reason I'm writing this is to bring to the fore the fact that this travel / hotel booking agency with their desk directly opposite Kenya airways departure section is a big scam ( they didn't even put their name on the receipt because they know they are a scam) the reason why we didn't scrutinize the printout like I said was because we were in a hurry not to miss our flight.  I really don't know why we ( Nigerians) like to be so cruel to ourselves. This should serve as a warning to all of us that we should always scrutinize receipts and other documents given to us. 

Cc- lalasticlala, Mynd44, obinoscopy, Seun, tosyne2much and all other mods and supermods.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by dustydee: 7:22pm On Dec 22, 2016
|Please what did you do when you returned to Nigeria? Hope you went to ask for your money back?

7 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by tosyne2much(m): 7:47pm On Dec 22, 2016
curious123:
The way we treat each other is rather poor. Imagine being duped by ur country person. Poverty is trully bringing out d worst in people. Sorry for ur ordeal

That's the society we find ourselves
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Pebcak: 9:34pm On Dec 22, 2016
grin shocked shocked

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by XXLDICK(m): 9:35pm On Dec 22, 2016
curious123:

Okay, only people of different nationalities should be duped

OP, next time always verify things. Such can never happen to me

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by iluvpomo(m): 9:35pm On Dec 22, 2016
Chai
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by takenadoh: 9:35pm On Dec 22, 2016
sorry for what happened.

But I think you were probably very careless and I personally don't see the scam in all of it, what if the hotel you stayed in was actually 105 k for the first night?

shocked

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by soberdrunk(m): 9:37pm On Dec 22, 2016
Chai!!! Me soberdrunk!!!! I too trust myself, for this type of case, it is certain at least six people go collect slap!! See as i dey wish say This Op nah my brother and he callled me the day he arrived in SA and gave me this gist, walahi i wont even wear shoes or shirt drive reach airport! I remember the time one fastfood in Portharcourt sold me spoilt food one night, as i reach house wan chop after a long day chinese rice dey draw like say them mix am with okro, am sure the manager of that fastfood will "never" forget me! angry

17 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by ladyF(f): 9:37pm On Dec 22, 2016
It is well. I don't even know what to say. What people don't realise if you can't rip people off and go free. Karma is a real bittch.

The money you feel you made from someone else's misery, you'd end up using it to pay up your karmic debts in one way or another, either from treating terminal diseases or even much bigger losses in life.

Sadly, people never learn, always looking for means to get-rich-quick to the detriment of someone else.

It's LadyF again grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Talk2Bella(f): 9:37pm On Dec 22, 2016
na wao

just pay one agbero at the airport to help you manhandle that guy and the lady sef

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by obajoey(m): 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
You shall meet again, don't worry.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by ChukaLupin(m): 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
it is well brother. The scammers shall be scammed. Or better, MMM shall scam them.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Chuknovski(m): 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
hmmmm,good to know, so next time I would take caution
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Pebcak: 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2016

7 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by leyemok(m): 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
sorry man.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by 9ja4show: 9:39pm On Dec 22, 2016
Use jumia travels...reliable

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by dacovajnr: 9:39pm On Dec 22, 2016
Hope you returned to the Airport to tear the idiot slap? angry

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Agimor(m): 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2016
Next rated
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by ChukaLupin(m): 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2016
dustydee:
|Please what did you do when you returned to Nigeria? Hope you went to ask for your money back?

oh yes. He went back....and they gave him twice the amount.....IT'S A SCAM. You can't ask for refunds!

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Dygeasy(m): 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2016
Na very big wa o

You will be replenished but if you have the time and energy please pursue it. Being cheated is one of the worst things to feel.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by blkmum700: 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2016
@op sorry to hear that,I hope you won't leave them to go free when you return to Nigeria,go and drag with them,I love this kind of thing wella,I go follow drag so tey dem go arrest both of us.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by ChukaLupin(m): 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
Pebcak:

clap for yourself!
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by purem(m): 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
Henhen guy

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Deicide: 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
Someone should summarize pls
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
boss go and ask for your money jare, you should have evidence that the lady booked for one night instead of four nights
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Olukat(m): 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
They can't spoil your joy wink wink wink
Enjoy your stay with your wife.
Merry Christmas

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Bisjosh(f): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2016
grin

This man again flooding our frontpage today

We yaf hear...e don do grin grin
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Jwonder(m): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2016
that's Nigeria for you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nwankwo Nicky Odira is a scammer( BRITISHNAIJA ) / Ongoing Repair Works On Anthony-Oworonshoki Road In Lagos (Photos) / Okada & Bus Drivers Collide In Anambra, 2 Die On Spot, Others Injured (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.