Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? (21919 Views)

It Is Christmas, Not Xmas. / How Is Christmas Preparations In Your Location? / Is CHRISTMAS A Pagan Festival? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Kenth3433(m): 6:12pm On Dec 25, 2016
nwamehn:

Lol. U spell it that way because X is the first letter of the Greek word "Xpire" which in English means "characteris"
proof
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by NCP: 6:15pm On Dec 25, 2016
Una Try. "God bless Buhari for Nigeria till 2013" Coalition Against Abuse Of Animal Rights (CAAAR)

NL Chapter.

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by psalmsjob: 6:16pm On Dec 25, 2016
Idrismusty97:
There is no Christ in Christmas to begin with anyway. Christmas is just an ancient pagan tradition integrated into Western civilizations. So no need to make a fuss about your Christ being replace with X.

Tell them o, all these "my pastor said" Christians. "Google" the Bible yourself and see if you will find the word Christmas or any allusion to it being celebrated.

But I come to realize that telling most not to celebrate this Christmas thing as as Christian doctrine is like denying them the opportunity to eat rice and chicken or more offerings to church account.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by tfk2000(m): 6:16pm On Dec 25, 2016
Redza:
Because XYZ cheesy who I go ask as u ask me

Ask me pretty
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by nwamehn: 6:17pm On Dec 25, 2016
Kenth3433:
proof

Did u also bother for proof when op said we spell Xmas because X is the first letter of the Greek word Xpiotoc which in English means "Christ"?
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by lotex(m): 6:21pm On Dec 25, 2016
In mathematics, 'X' is considered as an unknown number....Now its like using unknown name in place of CHRIST...Its not proper for me
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by ABBEYsammy01(m): 6:33pm On Dec 25, 2016
It won't cost U anytin to write it in full, replacing Christ with X in Christmas is like celebrating without d celebrant.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by zionmade(m): 6:35pm On Dec 25, 2016
Idrismusty97:
There is no Christ in Christmas to begin with anyway. Christmas is just an ancient pagan tradition integrated into Western civilizations. So no need to make a fuss about your Christ being replace with X.

Why always rushing to christian thread. why dnt u stick to hitting ur head on d stone five times a day. will we complain? Nooo

For my opinion i dnt abbreviate it so i will always have in mind d reason for d celebration. though am not against those who abbreviate it.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by zionmade(m): 6:40pm On Dec 25, 2016
psalmsjob:

Tell them o, all these "my pastor said" Christians. "Google" the Bible yourself and see if you will find the word Christmas or any allusion to it being celebrated.

But I come to realize that telling most not to celebrate this Christmas thing as as Christian doctrine is like denying them the opportunity to eat rice and chicken or more offerings to church account.

I believe u are a christian. d guy u re quoting is a kppohammadian and doesnt know anything christianity

now broda there is nothing wrong with setting out a day to rejoice for d gift of Christ. U can do it anyday of d year its all about wat u reflect on during d day. it musnt be 25th dec, u must not kill and eat chicken but all dat matters is dat u are grateful to God for d gift of a saviour
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by son4century(m): 6:40pm On Dec 25, 2016
opalu:
Why is it that it is only we Christians that downgrade and neutralise our godly heritage and come up with baseless and useless explanations and justifications to back up the anomalies.

If not what is X? It is an Unknown. X can be frog or a number or a Lizard or an X-boyfriend or an X whatever. You have the temerity to wish someone Merry X-mas. Nonsense. You replace CHRIST in the equation with an Unknown factor X. Why don't you call yourself an X-tian instead of Christian?

That was how some gangs of Ungodly folks decided to replace In Jesus' Name with 'IJN'. Yet God gave this Same Christ the Name that is above all names. Not the Initial that is above all initials.
When next you are faced with danger, don't call the name Jesus. Call your IJN. Anofia
Infidels!!

Kilo le toyi?
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Surfboard(m): 6:52pm On Dec 25, 2016
Keep the 'christ' in 'Christmas'
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by tete7000(m): 6:53pm On Dec 25, 2016
Just laziness, shorthand for many.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by toprealman: 7:01pm On Dec 25, 2016
wtfCode:
is like asking why chemistry is abbreviated as 'xtry'
characteristic abbreviated as 'xteristics'

jukene google biko
hearing xtry for the first time.
Read from somewhere that Xmas was formed by some unbelievers who could dare pronounce Christ.....
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by aanufeb25: 7:05pm On Dec 25, 2016
Are you among those that say, type or wish happy "XMAS"? My brother, my sister stop it. The reason for the Mas is Christ, that is why it is called CHRISTMAS. Symbolizing Christ with X means the reason for the celebration is wrong, unacceptable or evil. Sure you know that X symbolizes wrong, bad, No, unacceptable, cancelled, Danger, failure etc. Then why symbolizing or replacing Christ with X?. Let me tell you, the devil introduced this to ensure you do not mention the name of Christ during this Christmas season. My brethren, let us stop this evil perpertuated against Christiandom.
Take the stress and time to type Christmas or Christian etc. Wish your beloved ones happy or Merry Christmas. Stop following them to make mockery of Christmas. Christ is the reason for the season whether you like it or not. Preach the gospel. Thank you for obeying.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Laveda(f): 7:08pm On Dec 25, 2016
Abbreviation.

More like Xteristics for Characteristics.

Xmas for Christmas.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 25, 2016
If you ask me, na who I go ask ??
Na matter wey you see so, e heavy for eye oh grin
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:25pm On Dec 25, 2016
Padipadi:
OK. That's how some holier than though people v been broadcasting that we should not use Xmas again but use Christmas.
I choose to abbreviate & I use Xmas instead of Christmas.
Last Bullet
And this ll make me to speak about celebrating Christmas.

I m not wrong if I set a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus
Christ. I v been monitoring the news of Christmas is a
pagan practice this or that. Respect to victims of Saturnalia
Holiday in ancient Rome. Christmas may v a pagan root,
but if I choose to celebrate Jesus too that day with an
edifying celebration, praying, fellowship in & sharing food &
drinks I m right. Jesus's birth should be celebrated. We
celebrate his death too at Easter. A day was set aside for
that. so what's the fuss about Christmas?

There are more pressing issues of sin in Christianity than trying to justify issues that are not morally wrong. There are so many stuffs that are right that we do now but not in the Bible.
kudos. no plus no minus. if i tell you happy xmas, no respond, na u sabi, if you know sey u wan spell as spellings be for english, u fit convert ur name, eg; Samuel to english word, that is, Because i ask froM God, or u fit put "s" after your normal xmas spelling.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by mengho(m): 7:38pm On Dec 25, 2016
Idrismusty97:

lol, now now be nice grin
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by joowealth(m): 7:42pm On Dec 25, 2016
No no no no........ I disagree with you jooooorrr. "X" cannot be used in place of Christ as same is a satanic symbol. So tell me how they correlate? Pls stop dishing wrong notion to the unsuspecting individuals.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Sookul: 8:01pm On Dec 25, 2016
If you want to celebrate Christ fine, if you want to celebrate X na u sabi. Anything you want to celebrate do so, after all its a free world.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Temysteve(m): 8:04pm On Dec 25, 2016
veekid:

Google is your best friend
mr eazi
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Temysteve(m): 8:08pm On Dec 25, 2016
KissChrix:
I strive hard to call it Christmas, calling it Xmas gives Me this feeling

Xmas is just an abbreviation, nowadays, a lot of words have been abbreviated
the bible says ''He that do the things of the world, the love of the father is not in him'' u dnt abbreviate tinzz dat ar related to God.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 25, 2016

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by obinna58(m): 8:24pm On Dec 25, 2016
Xxxmas if u know what I mean
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Phi001(m): 8:39pm On Dec 25, 2016
Nigerians can para for anything...that's how I wished somebody merry Xmas and he told me he doesn't know anything like Xmas...
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by tigonana: 10:09pm On Dec 25, 2016
OP is high on weed!!!!
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Coldfeet(f): 10:10pm On Dec 25, 2016
opalu:
Why is it that it is only we Christians that downgrade and neutralise our godly heritage and come up with baseless and useless explanations and justifications to back up the anomalies.

If not what is X? It is an Unknown. X can be frog or a number or a Lizard or an X-boyfriend or an X whatever. You have the temerity to wish someone Merry X-mas. Nonsense. You replace CHRIST in the equation with an Unknown factor X. Why don't you call yourself an X-tian instead of Christian?

That was how some gangs of Ungodly folks decided to replace In Jesus' Name with 'IJN'. Yet God gave this Same Christ the Name that is above all names. Not the Initial that is above all initials.
When next you are faced with danger, don't call the name Jesus. Call your IJN. Anofia
Infidels!!
God bless you! Bless you bless you bless you and keep blessing you kiss

There's still hope for mankind as not all have lost their sense's .
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Damfostopper(m): 10:18pm On Dec 25, 2016
go and ask ur father

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Akpostus: 11:08pm On Dec 25, 2016
Idrismusty97:
Hear! hear! a Jehovah Witness have spoken.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by psalmsjob: 11:13pm On Dec 25, 2016
zionmade:

I believe u are a christian. d guy u re quoting is a kppohammadian and doesnt know anything christianity

now broda there is nothing wrong with setting out a day to rejoice for d gift of Christ. U can do it anyday of d year its all about wat u reflect on during d day. it musnt be 25th dec, u must not kill and eat chicken but all dat matters is dat u are grateful to God for d gift of a saviour

It's not about a day thing if it's to be grateful to God for the gift of Christ, it's a moment by moment thing that's always and the joy of it flows like a river for those that believe.

Setting a day aside even if it's not 25th of December diminishes the value and makes it more like a pegan thing or idolatry. That is exactly how those kings of Israel set up high places thinking to themselves that they are still serving Jehovah.

If God wants us to do it like it's being done now he would have said so expressly in the Bible as he commanded us about the breaking of the bread and the cup of wine.

The devil has a crafty way of sugarcoating things contrary to God's will by making them look like it's service to God whereas it just human doctrine and self gratification.

And about the guy I quoted that you said he isn't a Christian well God uses everything and everyone the way he likes to so let's not judge anyone since we don't know all things.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by maybrowne(m): 11:15pm On Dec 25, 2016
alatbaba1:

The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, which in English is "Christ". The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for Mass.

So you mean to tell me that the "X" that I know for how many years now is actually the abbreviation for "Christ"

Oh, so dat means that
X-ray = Christ-ray

hmm-hmm, okay, I see, OP kwantinew

But before you go, let me pray for you

Oya knell down, fast!!!!! Faster!!!!!!!

Shout Jesus Christ, shout loud!!!!!!! Louder!!!!!

Say every power that is using my sense to be playing X and O which now allows me to be easily brainwashed, father let such power catch fire now In The Mighty Name of Jesus.

Amen.

Peace be unto you.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by maybrowne(m): 11:26pm On Dec 25, 2016
opalu:

When next you are faced with danger, don't call the name Jesus. Call your IJN.

I so feel like giving you a piece of toast bread for this but as I no know how I go take send am, brother I just give u thumbs up from here

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Repercussion Of Staying Away From Church For Months? / Ozubulu Youths Protest, Demand To Know The Cause Of The Catholic Church Killings / Winners Chapel Church In Kenya On Fire (Video, Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.