Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Boxing Fights To Look Forward To In 2017 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Boxing Fights To Look Forward To In 2017 (594 Views)

UCL Draw; Which Game Are You Looking Forward To Most? / Makoko Kid Asked Anthony Joshua Why He Fights For UK And Not For Nigeria / Andy Ruiz: Anthony Joshua Is Not Good At Boxing And 'I Will Beat Him In Rematch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Boxing Fights To Look Forward To In 2017 by Qyubee(m): 6:06pm On Dec 25, 2016
The light heavyweight division will most likely see Ward and Kovalev have the rematch. If Ward was to win I think he would potentially look to then fight Adonis Stevenson as opposed to fighting Artur Beterbiev. However, if Kovalev was to win, I see him either having a decider against Ward before taking on Artur Beterbiev. I don’t see Stevenson taking on either Kovalev or Beterbiev but if these guys were all to mix it, the division could be explosive.

The Super Middleweight division sees James Degale face Badou Jack, which many see as the 2 beat in the division fighting for supremacy. Though this maybe more important for the U.K. if Degale was to win, his next fight must be against rising star Callum Smith. Many people in the U.K. would have Smith as a slight favourite going into that fight due to his height and power advantage. You then throw George Groves into the mix, who could become world champion if he can beat Chudinov setting up a unification fight against the winner of Degale vs Smith. Though the U.S. fans probably won’t make much of this, I think the U.K. fans would agree, this would be huge if it was to happen. There is also the small matter of Chris Eubank Jr. who is fighting for the IBO title and he too could set up a big domestic unification fight as well as being involved in the middleweight division.

There is only one fight the world really wants to see, GGG vs Canelo at middleweight. All signs suggest this will happen. Canelo’s route will depend on whether he has 2 or 3 fights in 2017. What I think we will see is Canelo first face Chavez Jr. whilst GGG faces Jacobs in a unification fight. I then see Canelo taking on Billy Joe Saunders for the WBO belt which Canelo is mandatory for. GGG may fight again though I suspect he won’t. This will set up finally GGG vs Canelo, both world champions for the biggest fight since Mayweather vs Pacquiao. But the fights leading up to the super fight would still be unification fights against good champions unlike 2016.

The light Middleweight division is one where I feel people haven’t ducked each other, I just think the fighters are now in position to make big fights, but when you look at the likes of the Charlo brothers, Andrade, Lara etc. I think these fights will happen in 2017.

The welterweight division is the most stacked division of them all yet, minus Thurman taking on Porter, the biggest fights haven’t happened. Amir Khan and Kell Brook both moved up in weight to take big challenges on but I see the huge feud between them will be settled next for the IBF title, with Errol Spence taking on the winner. Thurman and Garcia will hopefully square off in March and I believe the winner may very well be Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent. There is also the potential of Crawford coming up to the division and Broner fighting at this weight again.

I could go on about huge fights in all the other weights but I think the above examples get the point across. Yes, a lot of what I have said is dependent on results etc. but the big reason why the big fights will happen is because even if results did not play out the way me and a lot of others will think, there are alternative big fights no matter who wins or loses and this is why 2017 for me will be the biggest year in a long time. I think 2016 has not been the best year but I think this year has laid the foundations for some huge events next year.

Pound for pound rankings will change, champions will fight champions and I think come the end of 2017 there will be a fair few unified world champions rather than 2016 where it seems every sanctioning body has 2/3 world champions each.

Whatever happens this next year, I am hugely excited about what is to come. I want to take this opportunity to say a Merry Christmas to all the readers.

For more of my articles please follow me on twitter @RameezHaider13

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2016/12/2017-look-forward/

(1) (Reply)

2017 First Quarter FIFA Best/ballon D'or Award Nomination / What Happens If Leicester City Win The Champions League & Man Utd Win The Europa / Who Plays Live Betting Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.