Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" (14386 Views)

Women From The Tomb- Another Bible Contradiction! / Bible Contradiction In The Book Of Genesis / Christians How Would You Deny This Blatant Contradiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 10:25pm On Dec 25, 2016
The Bible does not contradict itself.
Over the centuries past, Numerous Agnostic and even some atheist professors who have thoroughly studied the entire bible have on many occasions, come to that conclusion, even despite admitting they dont believe it. Although many came to later believe after a complete study of it.

I would like to first define what a contradiction is according to the Oxford English dictionary;

A combination of statements, ideas, or features which are opposed to one another:

A good example will be thus:
"John went to school "

To contradict or oppose this statement,
I will have to say;
"John never went to school"

In the light of the aforementioned definition;
"John went to market"
would not even by any means, be a contradiction to
"John went to school"

Why? You may ask.
The answer is simple;

John may have gone to both school and the market, but at different times.

Both statements can be correct, and so will not be qualified to be regarded as opposed to each other. Hence not contradicting nor inconsistent with each other.

Another example would be:
1. "John met a girl called Mary at school"
2. "John met many girls at school"

These two statements coming from 2 different authors can be correct.

How?
The answer is simple;

John could have met Mary at 8am and subsequently met Patricia, Rose, Bolanle and Rukky at 9am, 10am, 11am and12noon respectively.

So it would obviously have been foolish to call both statements contradictions of each other, or to say both statements are not consistent with each other.

It would have been a different scenario if the original statement was;

"John met only Mary at school"

In this case,
"John met many girls at school"
would be a contradiction.

The word "only" would clearly be the changing factor.

And Still on this example, It will even be more foolish to ask,
"how many girls were at John's school?"

Why is it foolish to ask so?
The answer is easy too.

The subject of the statements was not the total population of girls at John's school.
The subject was rather based on the fact that John met girl/girls at school.

A last example would be;

"John said we could come"
and
"They said we could come"

These 2 statements coming from 2 different authors are not by any means contradictions, neither are they inconsistent, as there are numerous possible ways both could happen and still be true as follows;

1. John could be the spokesman of "they"

OR

2. John and "they" could have said so at different times.

OR

3. John and "they" could have also said so at the same
time in unison

4. And so on and so forth

The only way I could have contradicted

"John said we could come"
Is to have said
"John never said we could come"..

Thats that for buttressing the explanation of what contradictions are.

Coming Back to the bible and the issue of young internet users who claim to be atheists today, its quite unfortunate that many seem to throw around the word "contradiction" all in an attempt to discredit the bible for their personal fleshly gain.
They usually use the internet for this by posting falsely titled articles that make them appear like well researched bible skeptic sholars.

The Parts of the bible where they usually do this, are where different authors give accounts of the same biography or events.
For example, the gospels, 1st and 2nd Kings, Chronicles, Samuel etc.

I will, for the sake of this article, pick one from the popular ones they throw around.

Luke 24:4-5
And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5. And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?

AND

Mark 16:5-6
 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
6.And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him

Firstly, Take note, Luke says what happened
"as they were perplexed"

Mark says what happened
"as they entered"

As we can see, Two different points in time
Just take note.

Secondly, also take note
The subject topic of both scriptures is NOT the total population count of men or angel messengers that were inside the tomb.
As a matter of fact, if you observe, carefully, none of those two parts of scriptures mentions the total number of angels that were at the tomb.

The subject of both scriptures was what transpired at different points in time while the women entered and also while they were within the tomb.
Just take note.

But guess what

These two portions of the bible are boldly and wrongly pointed as contradictions to each other on an anti-christian bible quiz  website that was featured on one article written by Seun recently
You can check it here:

http://exchristian.net/3

To tell you the extent of their insincerity and utter dishonesty,
They did it by asking the question

" How many men were in Jesus' tomb when the women arrived?"

A careful look at this question would show you that the subject of this question is based on the total population count seen by the women on arrival.
Hence the phrase "How many men"

Moreso, the quiz question also specified subject time; "on arrival"

However and contrarily, none of those bible verses highlighted above had the subject of total population counts.

And also, Mark was the only one who decribed in detail what happened as "they entered" which is synonymous with "on arrival"

They intentionally used a question with a different subject and subject time to arrive at the conclusion that both portions of the bible contradicted each other.

When in actual truth, their question (based on "arrival"wink was generated from a momentary description from Mark.

They devilishly picked another momentary description for another point in time, from Luke and arrived at the false claim of "contradiction".

Just As illustrated in our earlier example,

"John met a girl at school"
Vs.
"John met many girls at school"

Also, For clarity sake, no portion of the bible talks about the total number of angels that were at the tomb.

Unfortunately, This is not the only portion of the bible they have dishonestly represented as contradiction before.
They have done so on many other verses, as I said before.

For example, the bible never mentioned the number of wise men who came to present gifts to baby Jesus.
But what we find commonly today even among Christians is "three wise men".
This is Wrong!

Another example; the bible never mentions the age of the earth despite the fact that many people go around saying the bible says the earth is 6000 years old

Thank God for bible explanation websites today that can easily be found using search engines like google.
As a result, These verses can now easily be researched.
A good one is www.biblestudytools.com
Such websites are free for everyone to use.

And most importantly, thank God for the Holy Spirit Who reveals these things to us.

Whenever a sincere truth-seeking person is in doubts, he should pray for understanding and the Holy Ghost would open his eyes to understand God's word.

You could also search bible verse explanations on google and youtube.
There are many other free resources online.
Bible explanation is not meant for only theologians and seminarians.

It is sad that many of these young folks who have not read the bible completely before, fall for this "bible contradiction" gimmick and begin to call themselves atheists.
When u Ask them "why?" they would scream "bible contradiction".

The "bible contradiction" gimmick is a plot by the devil directed towards young people of today, to discourage them from approaching what he fears the most, which is the Sword of the Word of God.

He makes them to Forget what the term "contradiction" means in the first place. Giving them a false sense of protection for their sins.
As a result, they never get to ask God for forgiveness.

The devil also makes them forget the fact that being skeptic doesnt necessarily make you an atheist.

My prayer is that, may the Lord Open their eyes to the truth and deliver them from this grand deception.

Amen.

cc kingebukasblog, felixomor, anas09, shadeyinka, Gombs, Goodmuyis, promise10, pigdin2, lacklicklabendin, naijadeyhia, 4everGod, damogul

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by jonbellion(m): 10:30pm On Dec 25, 2016
Why did you now mention yourself
Is Christmas beer doing you grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by CoolUsername: 11:00pm On Dec 25, 2016
jonbellion:

There's something not quite right about the guy.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by hahn(m): 11:27pm On Dec 25, 2016
After mentioning yourself finish

Tell us what your score is on http://exchristian.net/3/

I am really curious cheesy grin

4 Likes

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by 4kings: 11:47pm On Dec 25, 2016
Oga Felixomor , I was expecting you to address all "contradictions", on that site.
Can you?
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 11:56pm On Dec 25, 2016
4kings:
Oga Felixomor , I was expecting you to address all "contradictions", on that site.
Can you?

One on the front page is already addressed.
I wanted to avoid writing a long thread.
There are hundreds of other such biblical misconceptions.

One thread is not enough.
But the formula on this thread will easily resolve such.

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by 4kings: 12:11am On Dec 26, 2016
felixomor:

One on the front page is already addressed.
I wanted to avoid writing a long thread.
There are hundreds of other such biblical misconceptions.

One thread is not enough.
But the formula on this thread will easily resolve such.

Thanks for your time.
9 or 5 more should not be stressful na. wink
At least I learnt something from the first one.
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 12:12am On Dec 26, 2016
4kings:

9 or 5 more should not be stressful na. wink
At least I learnt something from the first one.

I guess i will have to open another thread for that.
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by 4kings: 12:20am On Dec 26, 2016
felixomor:

I guess i will have to open another thread for that.
OK.
But is a new thread necessary
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 12:23am On Dec 26, 2016
4kings:

OK.
But is a new thread necessary
Yes.
I want to keep this one easy to read.

2 Likes

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Caveatemptor(m): 1:13am On Dec 26, 2016
There is no point of this thread if you can not address the twenty contradictions on Seun's thread.
The contradictions in first and second Samuel and the contradictions in first and second Kings are just too numerous and glaring to be wished away.

3 Likes

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by 4kings: 1:25am On Dec 26, 2016
Caveatemptor:
There is no point of this thread if you can not address the twenty contradictions on Seun's thread.
The contradictions in first and second Samuel and the contradictions in first and second Kings are just too numerous and glaring to be wished away.
He said he will open another thread for that.
Just chill wink
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Ferruccio(m): 2:07am On Dec 26, 2016
Well, that was enlightening, Felixomor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Caveatemptor(m): 2:40am On Dec 26, 2016
4kings:

He said he will open another thread for that.
Just chill wink

Okay o
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by oluwalfa: 2:49am On Dec 26, 2016
this supposed word of god, na headache o

2 Likes

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 5:03am On Dec 26, 2016
Caveatemptor:

Sorry Oga.
There are no "contradictions" there.

Unless u want to say, u never read this article.
Check the oxford dictionary meaning of "contradictions".

No time for arguments.

1 Like

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 5:42am On Dec 26, 2016
Ferruccio:
Well, that was enlightening, Felixomor.

Thanks.
God Bless
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by datyrone(m): 7:03am On Dec 26, 2016
I like this....bring it on felixomor cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 26, 2016
Always seeking a way out... If it was to be scientific errors, the story would ve been entirely different, but since its biblical stuff, there are no contradictions but biblical misinterpretations by the people(readers) and atheists.... Christians sha

9 Likes

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 8:32am On Dec 26, 2016
adepeter26:
Always seeking a way out... If it was to be scientific errors, the story would ve been entirely different, but since its biblical stuff, there are no contradictions but biblical misinterpretations by the people(readers) and atheists.... Christians sha

That is why i took the pain to define "contradiction" from the oxford english dictionary.

Cheers.
Seasons greetings...
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Caveatemptor(m): 8:33am On Dec 26, 2016
felixomor:

Sorry Oga.
There are no "contradictions" there.

Unless u want to say, u never read this article.
Check the oxford dictionary meaning of "contradictions".

No time for arguments.

Goggle should be your best friend at all times pal.
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 8:37am On Dec 26, 2016
Caveatemptor:

Goggle should be your best friend at all times pal.

Google is not dictionary.
English existed before google came.

Cheers

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Caveatemptor(m): 9:01am On Dec 26, 2016
felixomor:

Google is not dictionary.
English existed before google came.

Cheers

WTF?
Guy I give up on you....

2 Likes

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 9:02am On Dec 26, 2016
Caveatemptor:

WTF?
Guy I give up on you....

Of course kids tend to give up on schooling.
Hence the need for correction.

I understand.
Cheers

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Edenoscar(m): 9:17am On Dec 26, 2016
jonbellion:
seriously that guy could be typing from a mental institution, dude doesnt even recongnize himself

3 Likes

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 9:46am On Dec 26, 2016
Edenoscar:

seriously that guy could be typing from a mental institution, dude doesnt even recongnize himself

*Yawns*
undecided
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 26, 2016
Question: when Jesus rode into Jerusalem, was he riding on one donkey or two?

Matthew 21: 71

They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set him on them.

Mark 11:7

Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their clothes on it, and he sat on it.
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 10:13am On Dec 26, 2016
NinjaX:
Question: when Jesus rode into Jerusalem, was he riding on one donkey or two?

Matthew 21: 71

They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set him on them.

Mark 11:7

Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their clothes on it, and he sat on it.

Another crisply perfect example
This just shows u didnt read the article.
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 26, 2016
felixomor:

Another crisply perfect example
This just shows u didnt read the article.

Couldn't bother.

Articles like this have been written before. There's nothing new under the sun.
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by felixomor: 11:04am On Dec 26, 2016
NinjaX:

Couldn't bother.

Articles like this have been written before. There's nothing new under the heavens.

Shame is dead....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 26, 2016
felixomor:

Shame is dead....
Indeed.
Re: Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" by DoctorAlien(m): 7:01pm On Dec 31, 2016
felixomor:

Of course kids tend to give up on schooling. Hence the need for correction.
I understand. Cheers
This cracked me up. LOL grin

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? / 6 Reasons You Need A Pastor In Your Life / Folu Adeboye Celebrates Her 69th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.