Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,984 members, 7,799,360 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres (11046 Views)

7 Dangers Of Driving On Worn-out Tyres / Don’t Throw Away Those Old Tyres. See What You Can Use Them For (PHOTOS) / Tale Signs You Have A Worn Out Clutch Plate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by jasinto: 7:46am On Dec 26, 2016
Hello dudes

when replacing your worn out tyres with new tyres always fix the new tyres at the rear if you are to replace only 2 tyres at a time.

1 Share

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by nurey(m): 7:53am On Dec 26, 2016
What is the reason for that assumption?

3 Likes

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Hawx(m): 8:06am On Dec 26, 2016
I bow too o! He should support his claims with cogent reasons!

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by bettercreature(m): 6:42am On Dec 27, 2016
My tyre has pressure light indicator won't go off if anything is wrong with any of the tyres
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Nobody: 6:44am On Dec 27, 2016

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Okaakoko(m): 6:44am On Dec 27, 2016
I thought the new tyres should be at the front, for front wheel drives.

9 Likes

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by bettercreature(m): 6:46am On Dec 27, 2016
Oyind17:
grin
Oyin! morning how was your night
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by balo2rule(m): 6:46am On Dec 27, 2016
thanks for the info.
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by epospiky(m): 6:51am On Dec 27, 2016
noted
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 27, 2016
Niggar just copied and pasted this here, the instruction is for vehicles with the driving wheels at the rear, reason for the mention of rear Axle. Front wheel drives don't come with rear axle unless it's a four wheel drive car.

The general rule is for your well treaded tyre be installed on your driving wheel. This is so to avoid excessive spin. with this set up you get good grip, traction and braking.

N.B. driving wheel is the powered wheel

21 Likes

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Onyenna(m): 6:53am On Dec 27, 2016
Okaakoko:
I thought the new tyres should be at the front, for front wheel drives.

You're right.....

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by princy406(m): 6:54am On Dec 27, 2016
New tyres are to be in d front and not back cos the braking systems grin
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Okaakoko(m): 6:59am On Dec 27, 2016
Onyenna:

You're right.....
because I do buy two tyres, the two new tyres will be at the front. while the best two of the remaining four, will go to the back

4 Likes

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by ItzHoludex(m): 7:06am On Dec 27, 2016
oga forget baba sikira knows how he does his thing

but gud tips sha

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 27, 2016
bettercreature:
Oyin! morning how was your night
morning sweetie, my night was warm. yours?
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by billyG(m): 7:13am On Dec 27, 2016
Ignore this copy & paste pussycat,always put new tyres on d front b/c tyre burst is more dangerous on d front wheel.
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by ebene4nija: 7:29am On Dec 27, 2016
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by kasillars(m): 7:32am On Dec 27, 2016
The op is very right. There was a documentary done to verify where new tyres should b given priority first I.e either front or back. Believe me, back is d best bet coz without traction from d tyre in d front wheel, u can still control the car from spinning. But in a case where d best tyres r fixed in the front wheel, any sudden break to try to halt the car to a full stop, u can easily loose control of d car. Its not a hear say, it was practicalize by Dunlop tyres to create awareness. Please, always put ur best tyres at d back.

5 Likes

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by asumo12: 7:38am On Dec 27, 2016
Oyind17:
grin

Maintain your lane grin

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by BTT(m): 7:57am On Dec 27, 2016
This untested falsehood has been hurriedly pushed to the front page even before the op literarily finished posting.

I am sure if the mods had given the op more time to research, this wouldn't have left the op's desk.

Your best tyres on your drivetrain - it's a rule as ancient as the wheel- even on awds.

This rule may apply to one single best threaded tyre which you put at the back first to forestall ruining your car's alignment.

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Dicksonpal: 8:16am On Dec 27, 2016
I will show dis to my vulcanizer before he gets me killed

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Vince77(m): 8:38am On Dec 27, 2016
kokaneprodigy:
Niggar just copied and pasted this here, the instruction is for vehicles with the driving wheels at the rear, reason for the mention of rear Axle. Front wheel drives don't come with rear axle unless it's a four wheel drive car.

The general rule is for your well threaded tyre be installed on your driving wheel. This is so to avoid excessive spin. with this set up you get good grip, traction and braking.

N.B. driving wheel is the powered wheel

Wanted to reply u then I saw this.

kasillars:
The op is very right. There was a documentary done to verify where new tyres should b given priority first I.e either front or back. Believe me, back is d best bet coz without traction from d tyre in d front wheel, u can still control the car from spinning. But in a case where d best tyres r fixed in the front wheel, any sudden break to try to halt the car to a full stop, u can easily loose control of d car. Its not a hear say, it was practicalize by Dunlop tyres to create awareness. Please, always put ur best tyres at d back.

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by ogawisdom(m): 9:32am On Dec 27, 2016
If u believe op u will believe anything grin grin grin

Best tyres in front Biko dnt say u were nt told

IGnore the OP he is a learner angry angry

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by femi4: 10:27am On Dec 27, 2016
nurey:
What is the reason for that assumption?
The risk is lower incase you experience tyre burst
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by adanny01(m): 10:35am On Dec 27, 2016
kasillars:

I have not seen this documentary but i dont agree with it.

A good thread will improve traction especially for driven wheels. So a good tire in the front of a front wheel drive is better than at the back. Likewise a good thread tire in the rear provides good traction for a rear wheel drive.

In addition, i would say rear wheel drives have a disadvantage when either front or rear tire threads are not standard. If thread is not good in the tires, it causes hydroplaning driving on wet roads which is very dangerous for steering with front tires. On wet surfaces, it is a priority to have good threaded tires in the front. A front wheel drive car will fair better with 2 good tires in front than a rear wheel driven car with 2 good tires in the rear.

Traction is required to steer and to drive. Front wheel drives steer and drive using 2 front wheels while rear wheel drives steer with 2 front and drive with 2 rear as such require all four to be in good condition especially for wet conditions.
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by titosantana(m): 12:24pm On Dec 27, 2016
Op if you are sure of this you must back it up with proves.
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by nurey(m): 1:00pm On Dec 27, 2016
femi4:
The risk is lower incase you experience tyre burst

it seems you have never owned a car before and you dont know anything concerning automotive engineering. tyre or tire burst is more deadly in the front than at the back. there is a higher percentage chance of roll over if tire burst in front than at the back.

i dont know much about tire installation but if you buy 2 new tires, the vulcanizer himself would advice you place it infront. the engine is situated in front, means more load upfront than rear, the tire bears more brunt infornt, threads infront wear out than rear. i am not saying this just cause i read it online. I actually bought 4 brand new tires, i drive a FWD car and i notice the front threads of the tires are wearing out more.

1 Like

Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Yazzy(m): 1:48pm On Dec 27, 2016
The OP is right.
Your new tires should ALWAYS be behind, front wheel drive or not.
Vulcanizers have always encouraged the myth that new tyres should be in front, same guys who always over-inflate tires!!

Just google it, you don't need a documentary to tell you the truth!!
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by Saicology212: 5:32pm On Dec 27, 2016
Yazzy:
The OP is right.
Your new tires should ALWAYS be behind, front wheel drive or not.
Vulcanizers have always encouraged the myth that new tyres should be in front, same guys who always over-inflate tires!!

Just google it, you don't need a documentary to tell you the truth!!

Absolutely true here....

http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/
Re: Replacing Your Worn Out Tyres by femi4: 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2016
nurey:

it seems you have never owned a car before and you dont know anything concerning automotive engineering. tyre or tire burst is more deadly in the front than at the back. there is a higher percentage chance of roll over if tire burst in front than at the back.

i dont know much about tire installation but if you buy 2 new tires, the vulcanizer himself would advice you place it infront. the engine is situated in front, means more load upfront than rear, the tire bears more brunt infornt, threads infront wear out than rear. i am not saying this just cause i read it online. I actually bought 4 brand new tires, i drive a FWD car and i notice the front threads of the tires are wearing out more.
it is much harder to control a moving car with a burst rear tyre than a front tyre. You can use the steering to control the vehicle while you come to a stop and you are much less likely to induce a spin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Does An Average Okada Man Earn In A Day? / A Thread On Obtaining The New F.R.S.C Drivers Licence. / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.