Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,710 members, 7,805,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Nigerian Languages Listed According To States - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Languages Listed According To States (25852 Views)

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Ezenwenyi(m): 5:23pm On Nov 18, 2009
What are the languages spoken in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 18, 2009
Why is it that most Eastern states are the one with lots of language?

Uniformity nko? undecided
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by candylips(m): 6:09pm On Nov 18, 2009
north get lots of languagues sha
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by sjeezy8: 6:31pm On Nov 18, 2009
I would say the north has the MOST ethnicities, languages in Nigeria but they are all considered hausas or fulanis crazy!!! If i were them i would be mad ass hell
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 18, 2009
fake list
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by echobee(f): 9:40am On Nov 19, 2009
that list is a trash grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Ezenwenyi(m): 10:50am On Nov 19, 2009
Please can u mention the languages you know?
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 19, 2009
Ezenwenyi:

Why not do your own research and make corrections rather than just spoiling what i took my time to do.That is why Nigeria don't go foward, because we never appreciate efforts hence outsiders celebrate us more than we celebrate ourselves.Wake up and join in building the nation.

you posted an incorrect list and are getting defensive?

The real reason Nigeria is in a mess is because people dont take correction.

Instead of you to ask what you did wrong, you're abusing others.

list the 73 languages of Taraba state.
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Abagworo(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2009
tpia.:

its incorrect in that no state actually has uniform language.my state imo for example is grouped as one languge while rivers is grouped as multilingual.the differences in various languages in rivers is almost thesame in imo.if imo is actually one language,then rivers is three languages-ijaw-igbo and ogoni.the difference between ogba and ndoni is thesame between egbema and oguta in imo state.the difference between ikwerre,etche and ndoki(obigbo) in rivers is still thesame with ngwa,asa and ndoki in abia state but i saw only one language in that report.these things are too difficult and complex to ascertain.ibani-okrika-kalabari are more or less ijaw language.
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by AndreUweh(m): 7:16pm On Nov 19, 2009
Rivers state with 23 languages. Is it because there are 23 local govt areas in Rivers state?. Over to you poster.
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Ezenwenyi(m): 7:27am On Nov 20, 2009
so?
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Ezenwenyi(m): 7:32am On Nov 20, 2009
google it
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by agitator: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2009
Ezenwenyi:

There are 23 languages spoken as first languages in Rivers State. The major languages are Igbo, Ikwere and different varieties of the Ijo cluster. The other languages are minority languages.

ABUA Degema and Ahoada LGA's
ODUAL Ahoada LGA

Please which language(s) are spoken by Abua/Odual LGA and which Towns in Degema and Ahoada speaks these languages?

Ezenwenyi link:
BAAN Gokana, Tai, and Eleme LGAs
ELEME Otelga LGA
GOKANA Gokana, Tai, and Eleme LGA's
KHANA Khana, Gokana, and Iyigbo LGA's

Also which local government is Otelga in Rivers State.

Ezenwenyi:

There are 23 languages spoken as first languages in Rivers State. The major languages are Igbo, Ikwere and different varieties of the Ijo cluster. The other languages are minority languages.

MINI Brass LGA

Brass LGA in Rivers State? Please clarify when the boundary adjustment was made

There are so many but i just want to mention these few contradictions

tpia.:

My brother take it kindly with the professor, like you said these are the kind of people who will claim they know much about an area and will be reeling out facts and figures of what they don't know sh!t about.

research [quote][/quote]
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by asha80(m): 12:34pm On Nov 20, 2009
When has the dialect spoken in egbema in rivers state become different to the dialect spoken by egbema in imo state?

Egbema dialect in imo = igbo

Egbema dialect in rivers=ogbah?
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by ow11(m): 1:10pm On Nov 20, 2009
@OP

Why do you think that website is beyond making errors or needs serious updating? Any website that lists Okrika-Tai-Eleme (OTELGA) as an LGA is at least frozen in time for 18 years and its contents should be read with a lot of reservations.

A lot of respondents have clarified the situation with RV state. Three Languages with some dialects that may be unique to certain areas which native speakers can understand the major language in that area. Igbo, Ijaw and Ogoni are these major languages which is why RSTV would only read news in Kalabari, Khana and Ikwerre.
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by agitator: 2:11pm On Nov 20, 2009
ow11:

@OP

Why do you think that website is beyond making errors or needs serious updating? Any website that lists Okrika-Tai-Eleme (OTELGA) as an LGA is at least frozen in time for 18 years and its contents should be read with a lot of reservations.

you should have heard he talking with authority
Ezenwenyi:

Why not do your own research and make corrections rather than just spoiling [b]what i took my time to do.[/b]That is why Nigeria don't go foward, because we never appreciate efforts hence outsiders celebrate us more than we celebrate ourselves.Wake up and join in building the nation.

I wonder if he's the Dr. Uwe Seibert of the Department of Languages and Linguistics, Faculty of Arts, University of Jos. That is what they teach to their students outdated and wrong facts. Imagine posting these with confidence. And people still ask what is wrong with our educational system. Something that is within nigeria which we don't require rocket science to achieve.

Tomorrow he will be an authority in Nigerian languages because he has obtained one useless paper, even if you are correcting him he will claim he got his useless degree by studying hard and doing an extensive research.
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2009
OP

thanks for your clarification

now kindly list the languages of some of the other "high-flying" states too.

i hope you know every village does NOT constitute a different language.

Have you ever heard of dialects?
Re: Nigerian Languages Listed According To States by AndreUweh(m): 7:06pm On Nov 20, 2009
tpia.:

OP

thanks for your clarification

now kindly list the languages of some of the other "high-flying" states too.

i hope you know every village does NOT constitute a different language.

Have you ever heard of dialects?

Well said.

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Rulers Council In Cross River State Warns Igbo Community. / Having A Sixth Finger / Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.