Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Delta (and Rivers) Igbos - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta (and Rivers) Igbos (57765 Views)

If Nigeria Divide Today, Does Delta And Edo State Has A Place With Yoruba/igbo / Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Pecuman: 7:59am On Oct 22, 2020
Probz:
I’ve researched this topic for time and my understanding is that there's three distinct groups in Anioma (Delta Ibo) - two Edoid-Igboid (Ika, Ukwuani/Ndokwa) and one Igbo proper (Enuani), that the latter (the only genuine, authentic Igbos who inhabit Delta Igboland)

Igbo bu Igbo

They are all real Igbos and no one is more Igbo than the other

3 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 4:14pm On Oct 22, 2020
Pecuman:

Igbo bu Igbo

They are all real Igbos and no one is more Igbo than the other

Not exactly.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Donarozzi: 10:51pm On Oct 22, 2020
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Ologbo147: 3:29pm On Oct 03, 2022
bigfrancis21:
Just found out from somebody now that the meaning of Ogbemudia, the man maternally from Igbanke responsible for the inclusion of Igbanke, an Ika speaking area, in Edo state is Ogbenmudein or Ogbe umu dee (in standard Igbo) meaning the quarter of the chief people/chief making people or clan. Co-incidentally, a village in Agbor exists called Ogbe nmu dein. shocked

If this is true, it is interesting to see how the name was twisted out of its original Igbo meaning into something else. shocked

Towns in Agbor

Ogbemudein
Ihogbe
Obielihe
Ihaikpen
Ogbeisore
Ogbeisogban
Agbamuse/Oruru
Alifekede
Omumu
Alisor
Alilehan
Alizomor
Ozanogogo (Ozara)
Alisimien
Ewuru
Idumu-Oza
Aliokpu
Aliagwai
Alihami
Agbor-nta
Alihagwu
Oki
Ekuku-Agbor
Emuhun
Boji-Boji Agbor
Sir you are sounding like someone that is being hunted or not in touch with reality. Ogbemudia is a Bini name, it means this family has come to stay or this family don stand. You have other words with the Prefix Ogbe such as "Igiogbe" which means the house of the head of the family where everyone converges or the house of the patriarch of a family.

Many people still give their children that name in Benin today. It is usually given mostly to the third son and boys after the number of third. You hear most third sons bearing names like Ogbemudia, Omoregbe-pikin na family

Ogbemudia- this family don stand or it has come to stay, you sound like someone that is hunted, you can do better than this

Ogbemudia's relationship with Igbanke is only maternal, his paternal family house is at Uselu, the daughter Eghe Ogbemudia is the present chairman of Egor local government. I do not know if you have an idea of this before but I felt I should bring it to your notice. You don big pass this

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 7:17pm On Oct 03, 2022
Ologbo147:
Sir you are sounding like someone that is being hunted or not in touch with reality. Ogbemudia is a Bini name, it means this family has come to stay or this family don stand. You have other words with the Prefix Ogbe such as "Igiogbe" which means the house of the head of the family where everyone converges or the house of the patriarch of a family.

Many people still give their children that name in Benin today. It is usually given mostly to the third son and boys after the number of third. You hear most third sons bearing names like Ogbemudia, Omoregbe-pikin na family

Ogbemudia- this family don stand or it has come to stay, you sound like someone that is hunted, you can do better than this

Ogbemudia's relationship with Igbanke is only maternal, his paternal family house is at Uselu, the daughter Eghe Ogbemudia is the present chairman of Egor local government. I do not know if you have an idea of this before but I felt I should bring it to your notice. You don big pass this

Maternal and paternal relations are equal in terms of biological significance (and possibly 52% in-favour of the mum’s side). Patriarchy is a social construct, not a plausible genetic reality.

Listen, can you stop gaslighting sensible people who disagree with you?

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Ologbo147: 8:05pm On Oct 03, 2022
Probz:

Maternal and paternal relations are equal in terms of biological significance (and possibly 52% in-favour of the mum’s side). Patriarchy is a social construct, not a plausible genetic reality.

Listen, can you stop gaslighting sensible people who disagree with you?
someone with this screenshot sincerely had this fear of a Benin takeover. He seem to have this innate fear of a Bini supremacy.

My brother we are not talking about genetic relations. There are two things I pointed out, his innate fear of Bini dominance and colonization of Ika. And the second one he is sincerely oblivious of in two phases 1, that the name was not changed, that it is a full fledged Bini name, and the other that he is paternally Edo, which sincerely he did not know also until I read later that Ehikwe told him

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 8:12pm On Oct 03, 2022
Ologbo147:
someone with this screenshot sincerely had this fear of a Benin takeover. He seem to have this innate fear of a Bini supremacy.

My brother we are not talking about genetic relations. There are two things I pointed out, his innate fear of Bini dominance and colonization of Ika. And the second one he is sincerely oblivious of in two phases 1, that the name was not changed, that it is a full fledged Bini name, and the other that he is paternally Edo, which sincerely he did not know also until I read later that Ehikwe told him

Lol.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Ricardosmechito: 6:38pm On Oct 06, 2022
iGBOS ARE VERRY WICKED ALL OVER WEST aFRICA NA THEM COAST TROUBLE
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Goziesolar: 7:55pm On Oct 08, 2022
Probz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ltIzwR03ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOhVqC1l70c

Igboid, can you honestly tell me that there's not even a touch of foreign or Edo influence in the intonation and dialect/language of the Ika spoken in these videos?
I'm Igbo I understood 90% of what he said...is that ukwuani or ila dialect
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 4:13am On Oct 09, 2022
Goziesolar:
I'm Igbo I understood 90% of what he said...is that ukwuani or ila dialect

It’s Ika and in-fairness the lexicon per-se did match-up with more-mainstream Igbo dialects but the Edoid intonation just gets me every time as far as ndu-Ika is concerned. I thought that in 2017 and I still think that now. And I’m not even sure if Ukwuani people can really be classified as Igbo at all. I’m going to need a lot more convincing as far as they’re concerned.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 4:15am On Oct 09, 2022
Ricardosmechito:
iGBOS ARE VERRY WICKED ALL OVER WEST aFRICA NA THEM COAST TROUBLE

Get out of here. Or go into fruitless cahoots with laudate.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Pecuman: 11:57am On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:
I’ve researched this topic for time and my understanding is that there's three distinct groups in Anioma (Delta Ibo) - two Edoid-Igboid (Ika, Ukwuani/Ndokwa) and one Igbo proper (Enuani), that the latter (the only genuine, authentic Igbos who inhabit Delta Igboland) can be found around Asaba/Oshimili/Aniocha area, that "Bendel Igbos," as my mum calls them, (Ika and Ukwuani people) are culturally Edoid groups who happen to speak Igboid languages and that close proximity and the vague similarity in language is why a people who are essentially Bini are lumped in with the real Delta Igbos (Enuani). In exactly the same sense as that if true Yorubas occupied an area in (let's just say) Delta State with Igalas and Itsekiris, all three groups would all be known as "Delta Yoruba" since they're all linguistically Yoruboid and because they'd share neighbouring proximity with each other, forgetting that there's only one true group of Yorubas who inhabit that area - i.e., the Yorubas, not the other two non-culturally Yoruba groups who happen to speak Yoruboid languages (and not even Yoruba proper).

I tend to agree with the assertion that one and only true Igbos of Anioma are Enuani since I've encountered Enuani Igbos who hail from Asaba who are in literally every respect just as Igbo as a typical south easterner from Enugu or Anambra and the Ika-Ukwuani (Bendel) stock people who speak languages that share similarities with Igbo but who you couldn't in a million years imagine sipping palmy and chopping nkwobi in Ishiagu and red cap. grin

Ditto for Rivers folk. I know authentic Igbos can be found in the Bonny-Opobo axis (said to be, at least in part, descendants of settlers from the Awka-Orlu axis) but as for Ikwerres, does the fact that they happen to speak an Igboid language mean that they're also culturally Igbo (or at least before the civil war) and could someone fill me in on the other Igboid/Igbo groups of Rivers (Etche, Ndoni, etc.). I've looked for info. online and there's next to nothing on Wikipedia at least for Etches.

My question is, could someone fill me in on the Ikas and Ukwuanis of Delta and the Ikwerre, etc., of Rivers? Ika and Ukwuani definitely don't fall under the banner of Igbo proper but Igboid in a linguistic sense (even if you might well argue that their dialect is more intelligible than Nsukka/Ebonyi dialects) but are these people culturally Igbo or Edoid, etc.? I've only researched this for some time so my understanding's limited but that's the conclusion through reading and my own experiences with some of these folk.

There are Yoruba people in the region as well and they speak a Yoruba language. Why would Edo people of the Edo Empire which was dominant adopt Igbo language when other non Igbos in the area kept their language?.

The fact that you take the fringe Ikwerre are Edo story as a fact doesn't help the argument. Pre war, only like 3 Ikwerre communities claimed some Edo origin and even there it was a story of an edo prince ruling them not they all coming from Edo.

Sipping Palm wine isn't an Igbo thing, it extends as far south as Congo at least and there's the issue there, taking Anambra practices as what "Igbo" is, as if we all migrated from Anambra a few years ago.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 12:44pm On Aug 26, 2023
Pecuman:

There are Yoruba people in the region as well and they speak a Yoruba language. Why would Edo people of the Edo Empire which was dominant adopt Igbo language when other non Igbos in the area kept their language?.

The fact that you take the fringe Ikwerre are Edo story as a fact doesn't help the argument. Pre war, only like 3 Ikwerre communities claimed some Edo origin and even there it was a story of an edo prince ruling them not they all coming from Edo.

Sipping Palm wine isn't an Igbo thing, it extends as far south as Congo at least and there's the issue there, taking Anambra practices as what "Igbo" is, as if we all migrated from Anambra a few years ago.

And where do you come from?
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Sizwezi: 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

😂
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Pecuman: 4:14pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

Ground

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Yoruba Names/Oriki For God / Igwe Umenyiora Donates Food Items To His Community In Anambra (Photos ) / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.